Sign in to follow this  
Batophobia

Deteriorating DU mode

Posted (edited)

One of the things I enjoyed doing in DD1 was going back to Deeper Well and playing Easy Survival with a single tower (on a buff beam) to see how far it could manage.  I was thinking of how this could be made into a game mode, since it gives the early levels more replay-ability and highlights just how far the heroes had advanced on their journey.  It should also help encourage new builds.  I'm not completely sold on my implementation, but here's my thoughts.

Basic idea: You have fewer DU to build a map than standard.  This could be as simple as a challenge for a single map or as integrated as an option for any map.

Idea 1: You start off with 75% DU for the map.  Each wave decreases the DU further (this can be a % of the previous wave or a set number).  The next combat phase cannot begin until your setup costs less than the new DU max.  This might require you to sell some towers (though I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of the game randomly removing some if there's a desire to have a timer).

Idea 2: When selecting the map, you can set a DU handicap which lowers the DU from the start and doesn't change it afterwards.  I imaging the UI being a DU slider where you can set the value between 0 and whatever the normal max is.  If you can beat the map with a single Harpoon, set the value to 6 and that's what it is (or set it to 4 and hope for the best for your Jester present).

Edited by Batophobia
  • Like 1

This could work, and should be fun.

With idea 2, with 1/2 of the du, you coulp get 2 times more xp, 2 times more loot and 2 times more gold.

4 times  with 1/4 of the du, and n times with 1/n of the du.

I wouldn't mind something like that as a risk/reward option. An increase in xp/loot as one decreeases the build cap could be highly useful, especially if that means that players will be encouraged to try new things instead of capping the DU with a ton of towers that turns the map into a boring AFK run.

0 DU = +∞ Experience

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Ryzours said:

This could work, and should be fun.

With idea 2, with 1/2 of the du, you coulp get 2 times more xp, 2 times more loot and 2 times more gold.

4 times  with 1/4 of the du, and n times with 1/n of the du.

I think they would have to scale it differently but it still sounds like a good idea. Maybe with 1/2 du 1.20x the xp?

I like the second idea more. reducing your own "strength" to increase the rewards. Could lead to some interesting minimum necessary tower builds.