Gloobox

Deeper Tower AI / focus mechanics.

Im super hyped about DD:A. Thanks for making this.

What i noticed when playing the previous DD games. I was always craving a way for towers to focus fire more intelligently.

Take for example the towerdefense game Bloons TD6. You can choose for each (singletargeting) tower if they should focus the First, Strongest, Closest or Last enemie in their respective range. 

This opens up a whole new world of tactic and strategy for the game. If anything it ads the option to be more creative with your defense and i would love to see some form of it in DD:A.

Cheers~

Gloobox

PS: no softpaywalls, no lootboxes, no epic exclusivity pls, k, thx, bye

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

"First, Strongest , Closest or Last "

I'd like to target flying, boss or kamikaze first.

Edited by Ryzours
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Ryzours said:

"First, Strongest , Closest or Last "

I'd like to 1:target flying, 2:boss or 3:kamikaze first.

1: This would probably invalidate dedicated anti air defenses to some extend. 

2: This is covered by "Strongest" id say.

3: I would like this. It would depend on how "Strongest" is defined though. Most health? Most damage? Most dps? A mix of both?

One could debate if there should be a "most dangerous" option too. But then again, if its the most dangerous it could just as well be "strongest".

Edited by Gloobox

2 hours ago, Gloobox said:

1. First, 2. Strongest, 3. Closest or 4. Last

1. First? enemy in range, in front of the pack or out the gate?

2. How do you measure strongest? HP, Resists, Damage, Size?

3. Closest, To Defense or Core? To that end, we already have Closest to Defense they just lock on after they target that enemy until it dies or gets out of range again.

4. Last? Enemy in the pack, out the gate. This one kind of seems redundant since DD games have a thing called hitboxes so shooting last enemy in the line results in hitting the first anyways. Unless you place them to shoot from the rear in which case it already does that too, since again hitboxes.

No offense though, Bloons is super simple and traditional and I believe the DD games are far beyond that. Trying to bring in things from other TD games like that will be a lot more complex and difficult. To be honest a lot of these are already technically in the game to some extent so adding them wouldn't add much complexity to the building portion of the game.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

I agree, target priorities would be nice to have.

Also one thing I really like from other games (for example Factorio) is, that enemies are internally "marked as dead", once all incoming projectiles and therefor potential damage exceeds their hitpoints. So no extra shot / time is wasted on this particular enemy. The problem with such a system is, that it only works well with 100% reliable tower shots. In DD you could have a single enemy going with a high transversal velocity to a tower and therefor causing this tower to miss all its shots (ballista...) for multiple seconds. So such a system would probably not work so well with DD and I guess most problems would already be solved with the typical towe rdefense priorities (strongest, closest, special/flying...).

Edited by The Ich

The one targetting priority i would of like in DD1 was for harpoons on ramparts they would try to kill things on a floor below before targetting the wyverns, this led to wyverns getting real close before they would even try to hit them.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Things like enemy distance or strength might be too hard to gauge and, in the case of projectiles, would be redundant anyway, since pretty much any shots fired into a group of enemies will hit the closest one. That's not to say a priority system couldn't be useful, though. Personally, I'd look to DD2's anti mods for priority targeting, such as melee, miniboss, orc, goblin, etc. With the addition of an "aerial" target priority, so that towers like Harpoons/ballistas will actually target wyverns if needed.

Edited by Thorgonator
More info.

I'd love an "air only" mod for DD2! PDTs would be great for this.

Definity a way to make some towers more viable. The striker tower was always a weird tower. It done crazy amounts of damage but If you didn't have end game tower speed, it would attack like every 2 seconds. Meaning that a lot of the time damage was wasted. Targetting would allow it to focus the high hp mobs.

I do think though a part of Dungeon defenders identity and charm was that it didn't go into that depth. You needed to build around those limitations.

Posted (edited)

+10000 to this

I am replaying DD1 from scratch with a friend and realizing I need this SO SO bad.

- Target highest HP (I am noticing that my Deadly Striker towers are virtually useless because they usually target low HP mobs)

- Target lowest HP

- Target closest

- Target furthest

- Target specific enemy type(s). Even more amazing if you can pick and choose from list let's say both djinn and sharken... (an example)... and not just one enemy. You could also have it so if the target enemy is not around, attack any other nearby enemy at random, but immediately drop its target and focus on the chosen priority (this way it's still doing things at all times).

- Target Air only

- Target Ground only

- Target bosses only

- Target ogres only (This probably would roll into target specific enemies though)

For even MORE depth, if I'm not asking for too much, you could even configure it a step further and mix several options. For example.

Target closest Djinn, target highest HP. This would make the tower attack Djinns, with priority given to the closest ones, and with the most HP left. 

Edited by cirion0000
  • Like 2