Sign in to follow this  
dkid124

Opinion on defense units and minion units?

In DD1 there were defense units and minion units that the summoner and only the summoner used. This pretty much meant you should have a summoner regardless if you don't like the hero because it's wasted potential. What do you guys think? Merge the defense units and minion units and rebalance the amount for maps or keep them separate? 

• Like 2

I dislike there being seperate units for each. It basically makes it so that you have to use certain characters and builds, and i personally prefer having a variety of options instead. That's not to say I don't want minions, just that they should be an optional part of a balanced variety of option instead of basically mandatory.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think it all depends on the enemies. With sharkens and spiders minions were almost a requirement, if other towers could deal with the enemies just as effectively then I see no need to keep them separate.. So until we know more about the enemies and what towers are effective I cant decide one way or another.

Edited by dizzydiana

Didnt like the split units at all, hated the summoner but needed to use him to do builds as its just a waste of defences if not.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I actually liked them being seperate. Added a little extra layer for making builds. They were really only "required" in the late waves of Nightmare Survival. There were heroes your builds couldn't live without other than the Summoner aswell. Refusing to use the summoner would hurt you less than refusing to use a monk or an EV. I liked using most of the heroes and the synergies between them.

Edited by Karpata
typo

Posted (edited)

DDE made summons require DU and it didn't make build options any more diverse. Furthermore, DD1 meta has been moving away from minions for a while now, so anyone who is complaining about lack of "build diversity" either hasn't been playing or looking at new builds lately.

Edited by Caimen0

Most of the time you would want to use the DU on other defence then Minions, as their DPS is low and as walls they would use to much DU. I'd rather build an EV wall then minions but because minions don't require DU I build minions. 

I prefer them seperated as I like to use as many heroes as possible to make a defence

Maybe if there's several heroes (summoner and abyss lord?) using MU that would make builds more diverse without any hero beein mandatory?

And one of the MU hero should be availlable to everyone from start.

• Like 1

DD1 DU MU all the way. I have played DD since launch and still do to this day. Absolutely despised dde, and dd2 pretty much. I had high hopes for dde and it failed miserably imho. DD1 was and is the only truly successful Dungeon Defenders, I say do not try to reinvent the wheel. Keep it pretty much the same and add some "bells and whistles" but to try and turn DDA into some kind of dd2 hybrid will not end well I don't think, dd2 has never done as well as DD for a reason I do believe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, H3LLF1RE456 said:

dd2 has never done as well as DD for a reason I do believe.

And you think that reason is the MU? 🤔

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Caimen0 said:

Furthermore, DD1 meta has been moving away from minions for a while now

Yeah, for the players such as yourself that have like 2x the stats it takes to beat 90% of the content in the game. 

They're pretty much an integral part of the game until you're at the point where you're stomping on content because they're literally free additional damage and the perfect walls.

6 hours ago, Hans Joachim (NOR) said:

Most of the time you would want to use the DU on other defence then Minions, as their DPS is low and as walls they would use to much DU

Which is why they'd very obviously have to be re-balanced if they used DU instead of a separate unit.

2 hours ago, H3LLF1RE456 said:

dd2 has never done as well as DD for a reason I do believe

For many reasons. Absolutely none of which have anything to do with the game not having "minion units".

• Like 1

Seperate units for every hero (not just one) would have worked if it was like DD2 where you can only take so many heroes with you at a time. 

The summoner was made seperate because without it, you probably wouldn't be able to summon many minions  and thus they couldn't play up the "RTS" aspect of it. The obvious downside of this was that it made the summoner basically a required addition.

There should just be one set of DU, by having multiple types of DU/MU it forces/bottlenecks builds. Why wouldn't you use extra DU if you have it. You literally playing with one hand behind your back. 

Posted (edited)

I dont think any class should have a seperate du to themselves.  

If they do something like this they should just do max du per character and a total du for a map. That way its not like dd2 and you cant just spam flame auras over an entire map. I dont know if this is something the community would want (or myself for that matter) but thats how they could force diverse builds. The other option is to limit the number of 1 type of tower to x per spawn location. So if a map had 5 spawn locations maybe have 10 of 1 defense as a max.

Edited by vosh