dcex1

Idea: Daily and weekly challenges!

Or if they just set the number of defender medals per map to a reasonable amount (75 or 100 comes to mind for how much a new character costs) then there wouldnt be the feeling of being forced to do dailies. However with earning 525 (450+25 per level) defender medals for 3 maps compared to just 75 if you are trying to progress means there is a huge opportunity cost. If they did 100 per map then passing up 750 for 300 isnt as big of a deal.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, vosh said:

Or if they just set the number of defender medals per map to a reasonable amount (75 or 100 comes to mind for how much a new character costs) then there wouldnt be the feeling of being forced to do dailies. However with earning 525 (450+25 per level) defender medals for 3 maps compared to just 75 if you are trying to progress means there is a huge opportunity cost. If they did 100 per map then passing up 750 for 300 isnt as big of a deal.

Guessing you didn't read my post cuz TLDR. it would go back to "making the gap even bigger between long/short-play-time players. 

100 per map, with 20 maps a week sounds reasonable (2000 DM a week). but what would happen to those who can do 10-20 maps a day? they will simply get 10k+ DM weekly. The gap is bigger than with current balance. If you do not implement big rewards at small effort with diminishing return, people with longer play time will just get one hero every other day, or open 100 specific-tier shards. The game needs balance for people with less play time, and not letting hardcore player OP unreasonably. 

edit: if you want example, plz read the "gold vs DM" calculation post, since gold is doing exactly that. offer amount by map played. 

Edited by hailminion

23 hours ago, hailminion said:

I can't recall any game that limits the currency a player can earn. Putting a cap on efforts tend to drive population away, even when they find a near-perfect spot to place the cap on. Imagine a bunch of kids on summer vacation wanna play 5 hours a day, and he doesn't get crap after 5 hour weekly total. 

Plus it'd be more stressful for many, people could get in and play X hours a week, X/2 hr twice a week. Now they have to log in daily, because there's a cap, and play X/7 hr, 7 times a week, in order to get the benefit w/o getting capped

Diminishing return is a good way to balance, without breaking either end of people. 

well i meant a cap on the bonus you get for the day. you would still earn whatever you’re supposed to earn per map. it would be like ending the boost you get up until you complete a certain amount of maps

36 minutes ago, super_slayan said:

well i meant a cap on the bonus you get for the day. you would still earn whatever you’re supposed to earn per map. it would be like ending the boost you get up until you complete a certain amount of maps

so basically the daily and weekly we have, with only the "win 2 map, win 3 map" options. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, hailminion said:

Guessing you didn't read my post cuz TLDR. it would go back to "making the gap even bigger between long/short-play-time players. 

100 per map, with 20 maps a week sounds reasonable (2000 DM a week). but what would happen to those who can do 10-20 maps a day? they will simply get 10k+ DM weekly. The gap is bigger than with current balance. If you do not implement big rewards at small effort with diminishing return, people with longer play time will just get one hero every other day, or open 100 specific-tier shards. The game needs balance for people with less play time, and not letting hardcore player OP unreasonably. 

edit: if you want example, plz read the "gold vs DM" calculation post, since gold is doing exactly that. offer amount by map played. 

The thing is a hard core player has no difference in my game play. This isnt a 0 sum game. If there were rankings then maybe or what ever but id much rather i get rewarded a fair amount every time and someone who plays like crazy gets rewarded a fair amount for every map the complete.

I would be fine with weekly or monthly quests, but i don't really like daily quests. Haven't seen a game with daily quests so far that didn't feel like a chore.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/9/2019 at 5:17 PM, Jaws_420 said:

No one is required to do these tasks. If it does not appeal to you, skip them. 

You're missing the point.  If you want to build a robust community you don't want to design your game around forced daily log-ins.  And, yes, just having them acts as a compulsion and not in a good way.  As easy as you can say 'skip them' someone else can say 'we can do without them.'  Certainly time played is always going to have an impact on rewards obtained, but the more you can skew away from that in favor of skill/accomplishments, the better.

Edited by Metro

Forced is a bad term there. However the point stands that the game should be what we want to log into not log on to collect a reward and leave. I know ive doone that a few times in dd2.

At the end of the day, it's just how a company wanna attract players. 

I understand your point, when we wanna buy from a store, they don't need to put up giant promotions at the door. When we don't wanna buy from that store, even if we go in to check the promotions or to collect those free candys, we may still not shop in that store.

The goal for companies though, is to attract customers (players) who are in the middle swinging, not players with strong opinions already. Simply a small incentive to log in, may make a portion of people stay and play for some time, instead of not logging in/playing at all.  

• Like 2

I prefer not to have Daily quests. I haven't seen a game yet where it wasn't just a chore to do them.
Most of the times Dailys are used for some form of "currency" which is mendetory in some way for progress like reputation, premium currency (dd2) or get some item to enhance something. So in The end, Dailys are used to forcefully slow down player progress.

I prefer to play at my own speed.

On 4/11/2019 at 9:56 AM, hailminion said:

I can't recall any game that limits the currency a player can earn. Putting a cap on efforts tend to drive population away, even when they find a near-perfect spot to place the cap on. Imagine a bunch of kids on summer vacation wanna play 5 hours a day, and he doesn't get crap after 5 hour weekly total. 

Plus it'd be more stressful for many, people could get in and play X hours a week, X/2 hr twice a week. Now they have to log in daily, because there's a cap, and play X/7 hr, 7 times a week, in order to get the benefit w/o getting capped

Diminishing return is a good way to balance, without breaking either end of people. 

i think Destiny 1 did this great with Strange Coins currency.  You could do certain missions once a day and it would give you  some strange coins.  but you wouldn’t get more for repeating it cause then you could just buy all the cool stuff easily.

Killing Floor 2 handles it pretty well when it comes to dailys and weeklies. Completing a challenge offers currency that you can use to fill up your vault and receive unlockable crates in return, which contain only graded accessories that do not affect the game or grant advantages. You can still earn currency through normal play but you get a chunk from dailys, and a bigger chunk from weeklies.

If DDA were to have dailys and weeklies, it should go for a model like KF2. I absolutely disliked the DD2 model where you needed to do these challenges every day to earn currency in order to purchase new heroes, when the shorter and more tempted way is to simply throw money at your screen.

I'm sure this time around the devs have everything figured out from past experiences.

Posted (edited)

player complains, logging in twice a week and one hour each time playing for rewards, is too much for a game, while the devs think that's the minimum play time to justify the game's success  :shrug:   a matter of perception. 

Let's make the game half an hour a week is enough to get all the good rewards. Because I honestly don't think those, who play more hours and play more frequently, deserve better/more good stuff than me. 

Edited by hailminion