Sign in to follow this  
DoctorJuice

Make levelling up more satisfying

In DD1 I remember every time I levelled up it felt like I got a lot stronger, DD2 is pretty weak in this regard- ascension points feel almost worthless, especially when you just add one at a time.

Just now i haven’t used ascension in a while and I had 10 in each tier, I used all 10 on tower health and it gave me an extra 3000 health....pathetic. That is absolutely worthless  and makes no difference. I’d like them to make levelling up exciting in DD.

• Like 1

I agree that levelling up isnt hugely satisfying, but you have to also remember that tower health scales different for blockades than it does for towers. 100 points in most towers will net you 20-30k health, which is pretty much a waste of points, but put those 100 points into, say, World Trees and it'll increase their health by a good million points.

But yeah, I agree I'd like to see those base levels mean more, since in DD2 your stats are tied to your gear instead of your level, so even if you're at level 10, the stat increase for hitting 50 is miniscule.

Guys leveling in DD2 is way faster than in dd1 and there is no upper limit to ascension either 

Believe me 999 points into tower damage adds a lot of tower damage 19 980 

999 points in hero stats adds a lot too 79 920 hp / damage  That is as much as ALL your gear 

You actually get more from level in dd2 than dd1 (dd1 it's like 1k from level , while you reach 6 k main stat easily with gear on) 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah I know that in the long run you get more out of ascension, but how many hours do you have to put into the game to get to 999? I’ve been playing the game over a year and nowhere close to reaching 999 points. 

And it doesn’t matter if the points are put towards tower based defenses or barricades, the difference is still negligible especially in higher onslaught. An extra 10,000 damage or health still doesn’t help me where I am now. 

I would still prefer something closer to DD1 where levelling up actually feels like a big deal, and I don’t have to reach ascension 999 two years later to see a big difference. 

Edited by DoctorJuice
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, DoctorJuice said:

I would still prefer something closer to DD1 where levelling up actually feels like a big deal

Eh, I recently started DD1 from scratch again and I have to say that base levels and the act of leveling up itself doesn't really feel like any more of a big deal than in DD2. 

It's the fact that gear progression is level restricted that makes it more rewarding and impactful. The points you get from each level aren't really any more effective than they are in DD2 but every x levels you're gaining access to a new tier of gear that can be substantially more powerful. 

It's why I'm hoping we'll see a much more DD1-like progression system overall. 

I disagree about the ascension system. I felt it was incredibly rewarding and kept me engaged. After 1200+ levels, i am still getting stuff. My only issue is the 3 brackets separated, and having any unused points.

The biggest crime a grinding game can make is letting you max out a hero. As long as DDA has a way to keep heroes gaining over the lifetime of the game - i am in. 

33 minutes ago, Jaws_420 said:

I felt it was incredibly rewarding and kept me engaged

It isn't a terrible system but I think a problem with it is that (at least to me) it feels like it was just tacked onto the game to make up for the fact that gear progression in DD2 is incredibly lacking.

It's not really an appropriate substitute for a proper long term gear progression system. 

48 minutes ago, Jaws_420 said:

The biggest crime a grinding game can make is letting you max out a hero.

Ironically with ascension stats capping at 999 it's probably substantially easier and less time consuming to max your ascension stats than it is getting maxed out gear or even close to it on even a single character on DD1. 

It wouldn't be so bad as more of a sidelined thing but god I hope we don't have ascension/infinite leveling as our main form of progression again. Getting cool, rare loot is far more fun than steadily leveling up over and over. 

On 3/29/2019 at 1:12 PM, DoctorJuice said:

Yeah I know that in the long run you get more out of ascension, but how many hours do you have to put into the game to get to 999? I’ve been playing the game over a year and nowhere close to reaching 999 points. 

And it doesn’t matter if the points are put towards tower based defenses or barricades, the difference is still negligible especially in higher onslaught. An extra 10,000 damage or health still doesn’t help me where I am now. 

You can actually get to 999 super fast if you play onslaught, that's about floor 270 

The difference is big , 20k tower damage when a maxed out relic gives 70 k (that number is affected by any % increase from destruction , mass destro, etc)

Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2019 at 1:12 PM, DoctorJuice said:

AP's there for a reason. Takes 2-3 weeks to get 3k asc doing onslaught. That's assuming you can play couple hours every day ofc. 

That's the part I love abt dd2, giving you an option to straight up grind, and giving you an option to short cut. I'd want dd1 progression, only if they also provide short cut with harder content. Rather than a pure "who plays longer" "who got here earlier" progression. 

Edited by hailminion