Thorgonator

What aspects of DD2 do you *want* to see make it into DD:A?

Title says it all. Opinions on DD2 are pretty varied, but the general consensus is that it's not what it could have been. However, despite being a bit on the lackluster side, it does still have features that are worthy of note. Now, this isnt a discussion on loot progression or RNG, I'm asking about features that aren't related to RNG (considering that it's pretty obvious the whole community wants to wash their hands of DD2's loot system) such as towers, characters, specific weapons, or enemies that you think might still have a place in the DD universe. I'll ask a few base questions to get the ball rolling:

First, characters. I'm curious as to which ones, if any, you'd like to see in future DD games. Particularly the ones that didn't show up in past games, such as the Dryad. I can't speak for everyone, but I actually love the Dryad and would love to see her in future DD games.

Second, Crossover content. The Terraria crossover added a new character, a new map, a new boss, and several other interesting features. Sadly future updates made the Blood Moon incursion irrelevant and outdated, and a lot of the newer players aren't even aware that the Eye of Cthulhu even exists in the game. But do you think that such content has a place in the future of DD? I, for one, am all for it. I'd like to see more Terraria content, or perhaps even crossovers with other games.

Third, the towers. Which, if any, would you like to see return in DD:A that were not present in the original DD? I'd personally like a few of them to make the cut. I love building with the Mystic (though it's unclear if she'll be back) and would love to see my Obelisk and Sand Vipers return, but a few of the other towers were pretty neat, too. Particularly, I'd like to see one of the unique towers that were present in the original version of DD2, the Elemental Chaos, make a return. It was only present in the game for a short while, but i thought it was a really fun trap to play around with.

Anyway, I don't want this to become a wall of text, so I'll stop here. What are your thoughts? What other positive features, if any, would you like to see make a return from DD2?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

DD 2  has a more streamlined UI.  Specifically the cursor not being animated during play/being smaller and not having the layering of screens in the foundry.  Also the MODs are great ideas, if slightly too RNG dependent.

Also I'd like to see flairs and titles return, as rewards for challenges.

DD2 also feels more alive with the communal town and NPCs, something like that would be nice.

Playable characters, obviously.

Specifically the huntress' kit in DD 2 is better than in DD 1.  The base charges and damage of her traps is worse/ more limiting than any other character in DD 1.  The PDT would make a great replacement of her poison or darkness traps, and the geyser trap would be a suitable replacement as well.

Edit: also the customization and costumes is great, although I am aware of the work that takes

Edited by bigwillmcd
Clarity, additional info
  • Like 2

Oh, actually, yes. I will be greatly saddened if the PDT does not make a comeback in DD:A. In DD1, her poison trap didn't really stand out to me. The PDT was quite a nice change, and the way the DPS can vary based on how many darts are hitting the enemy is neat, too, as it tends to actually cause the tower's DPS to increase based on proximity, meaning that careful placement is both required and rewarded (especially if you don't want passing Kobolts to muck up your build).

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bigwillmcd said:

DD 2 is better than in DD 1.  The base charges and damage of her traps is worse/ more limiting than any other character in DD 1.  The PDT would make a great replacement of her poison or darkness traps, and the geyser trap would be a suitable replacement as well.

Edit: also the customization and costumes is great, although I am aware of the work that takes

I love the huntresses kit on DD2 and all of the customization. I feel characters like her and the monk needs those extra abilities and stuff to make them really a worthy addition to a team. I won't lie and say DD2 straight up sucked... it had some good ideas. I would love to see more crossovers also with exclusive loot and what not. Opening those crates in my tavern were fun as heck then having the unique tf2 pets blasting away was awesome. 

The things I would take from DD2 over DD1 -

No build timers 

being able to carry the same amount of mana regardless of your hero level so swapping heores doesnt result in losing building mana

Separate resource for ability mana and building mana

Auto collect of loot with the ability to filter rarieties etc.

Your own individual Loot and any dropped loot remaining on ground until end of wave

Lavamancer but I would adjust the DU cost of his towers eg. Volcano being same as that of the Deadly strikes tower

Towers form DD2 - Earthsahtter because its fun to see those gobus being thrown, PDT to give the Huntress a more reliable way of dealing with wyverns etc. The SGT Id also take for the monk for the same reason.

Maps from DD2 - Forest Biome, Liferoot Forest,Nimbus reach and Temple of the Necrotic.

• Like 2

1. Safety mechanics, like 286 bad luck protection reroll for a top-tier MOD; a 10 hr protection for a top-tier drop; vendor for shards, etc. So essentially don't gate any potential by pure rng, always have a safe way to obtain by effort. 

2. Mutators: mutators in onslaught mode makes players think a lot more, and build diversely. Having to build/choose defenses according to enemies is more challenging and fun, compared to a meta-build-fits-all type of thing. 

3. (controversial) Ancient Power: It gives players chance to play "catch up" to transfer difficulty level towards grinds. Example is, you can play 270 hard maps, and get to Lv 3000, or you can play normal 3000 maps to get to Lv3000. You can play 500 hard maps, and get to Lv6000, or you can play normal 6000 maps+ to get to Lv6000. So essentially give players chances, to challange themselves, instead of making the game a pure grind. 

The first and mostly - I would love a whole lot variety of costumes and flairs (and I mean a whole lot). I've seen DD1 costumes, frankly, many of them aren't that great to me (I do dig some) and don't really leave lot for customization for personalization. However, I do remember seeing a customized EV2 at one point, but I'll still say that many costumes are quite lacking.

Can't really say what I want more from DD2 as I would prefer a new experience with DDA.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, hailminion said:

mutators in onslaught mode makes players think a lot more, and build diversely. Having to build/choose defenses according to enemies is more challenging and fun, compared to a meta-build-fits-all type of thing. 

Personally I can't stand the forced "diversity" most of the chaos enemies and a lot of the mutators put upon us, because it achieves nothing. It removes the ability for players to actually build however they want and pigeonholes them into using a handful of defenses. of which they're more likely to choose the meta defense(s). 

Telling someone to "be more creative" while removing most of the tools you gave them to do so doesn't work well. 

17 hours ago, hailminion said:

Ancient Power

I think you mean ascension? AP is the reset mechanic.

• Like 2

I like to see the hero progession from DD2 in DD:A. In DD2, all heros advance at the same time (at least once you hit level 50 in early game). So it doesn't matter which hero I play in terms of progression, because even the "unused" heros will advance. If I remember right, in DD1 only the active hero got exp points. All the other inactive heros stalled. So, you either had to play with a worse hero just to level him, or use some crappy split screen mechanic to give other heros a boost.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Cuddles said:

Personally I can't stand the forced "diversity" most of the chaos enemies and a lot of the mutators put upon us, because it achieves nothing. It removes the ability for players to actually build however they want and pigeonholes them into using a handful of defenses. of which they're more likely to choose the meta defense(s). 

without mutators, everybody would be using the meta, bcuz it would work on everything most efficiently

With mutators right now, I need to use slow to counter "HS"; need to use poison for "HS & controlled burn"; need to us fire for "frost"; need to use range on "long distance" and "cursi"; need to use aura/traps for "proximity"; need to have piercer for distance "bullet sponge"; need to have physical defense for "spellbreaker"

Without those mutation, I will use 3 defense for everything. 

I think you mean ascension? AP is the reset mechanic.

I mean the AP. It took me 2ish weeks to get from floor 50 to floor 300 (40 hour ish?), so if I had resetted instead of keeping pushing, I had been Asc. 3000+. Without AP, there's no way I can get to Asc 3000 that fast. I think it gives player a chance to play harder content and achieve faster results, which make sense to me. Instead of everybody does the exact same thing, same grind, and whoever plays longer and will always win, despite if he can play hard content. AP providing the former option, wins the latter imho. Although there're many things that have to be tweaked to meet the "perfect expectation" we have, right now there're a lota flaws. 

Edited by hailminion

57 minutes ago, hailminion said:

without mutators, everybody would be using the meta

Even with mutators there's still a solid meta for each one, you just said that yourself. Shoving a couple more defenses into the meta and making the others even more unappealing doesn't do much to actually help diversity, it hinders it. 

I wouldn't mind the system being turned into something that makes the game (or perhaps just a game mode) harder without forcing you into using certain defenses, but I'm not all that keen on having choices taken away from me again after that being almost all of DD2's basis. 

1 hour ago, hailminion said:

I mean the AP

Well I doubt levels will go very high without ascension and I can't imagine ascension is something returning (unless I missed CG saying something?) so AP isn't going to do much on it's own. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm pretty much indifferent about whether or not Ascension/AP makes a return for DDA. It's an endgame mechanic, sure, but it's not one I would have chosen if choices were present, especially since the grind to obtain the maximum abilities from it is easily 5000+ hours. I have nothing against progression being grindy or tied to RNG (assuming the RNG isn't too cruel), but there is a limit to how grindy it should be.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 11:31 AM, Rude..Boy said:

I like to see the hero progession from DD2 in DD:A. In DD2, all heros advance at the same time (at least once you hit level 50 in early game). So it doesn't matter which hero I play in terms of progression, because even the "unused" heros will advance. If I remember right, in DD1 only the active hero got exp points. All the other inactive heros stalled. So, you either had to play with a worse hero just to level him, or use some crappy split screen mechanic to give other heros a boost.

Completely get why you want this, it's got tedious. But for me, I loved that grind of getting them up. Made it feel more rewarding and attached the characters rather than swapping to it first time at max level and cracking on with things

• Like 1

11 hours ago, xarta said:

rather than swapping to it first time at max level and cracking on with things

Well most people leeched their characters in DD1 with an emulator anyway, it's not much different except being a huge headache. 

I'd much rather experience be shared across your characters than having everyone go back to only playing alone as 4 characters at once. 

• Like 2

Survival mode. I miss it. Loved how dd2's original onslaught was like survival mode in a way. But I think this game needs Survival mode.

2 hours ago, Cuddles said:

Well most people leeched their characters in DD1 with an emulator anyway, it's not much different except being a huge headache. 

I'd much rather experience be shared across your characters than having everyone go back to only playing alone as 4 characters at once. 

Agree completely.  There shouldn't be any reason in DDA to need to emulate extra controllers for smoother/quicker progression.  Those were design flaws in DD1.

Agreed. No reason to progress only 1 character at a time. I'd like the ability to level up multiple characters to return.

I would enjoy having a character like the gunwitch, shes a character I really enjoyed playing in DD2

From DD2- hero swapping, no build timers, instant mana each wave, only your gear on ground, forge in pocket, instant gear leveling to max.

Gunwitch! Please bring her back. I really want every DD2 hero to be playable though. 

Towers - earthshatter, PDT, WM, Viper Fang, Obelisk, SGT (but better), Hornets, Ramster, Balloon trap, proton beam, and reflect beam.

I'd also love to see some weapons likr the Megashark return. Also, i would love to see some of the pet designs return, but with a redesign on stats of course. 

• Like 1

I think mastery mode had something going for it.  Do I think it should be a game mode in its self? no.  Maybe make it like a standard part of game modes but reward bonuses if completed.  That way there is still replayability in the mode but not required especially once completed.  One of the biggest issues with mastery mode was it was a 1 and done kind of thing. 

I like ascension leveling (however make it more niche/customizeable if you can rather then just stat increases).  In a grind game like DD you need something other then your gear to look forward to.  However the ancient resets were overall a bad idea IMO.  It left a very repetitive feel with nearly no chance of progressing between resets.  It felt like it all had to be done at 1 time or not at all.  

For the love of god though get rid of mutators.  They are either meaningless in the fact they wont change how I build or I have to build an entire lane around it.

Get rid of or rework tower buffs auras/beams.  Either have them change how towers effected work or get rid of them all together.  Buff auras either become 100 necessary because they boost more then they cost in DU or they are worseless because the stats they give aren't ever going to be enough for the cost in DU.  however I could see like tower modifying auras.  Something like the elemental chaos trap but apply it to all surrounded towers.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2019 at 11:50 AM, Cuddles said:

It would be bad if one person can solo Carry all his friend. In DD1 i started a squire, a friend a ranger and another monk. We had a real blast levelig up like a team. We made an attempt at DD2 but i think i played a little blit more then the rest so i had all the best builders. The quit fast. 

Played the first game quite a bit back in the day.  I managed to pick up DD2 *the day* before the new one was announced.  As a new player, I may have a bit of a different angle.  Here's the positive things I see:

-Without question, the rework of the huntress' traps is the biggest deal.  The old limited ammo traps were a real pain.  Simply not worth the effort.  I might have been ok if we just had to reload them, but if they ever ran out, the entire trap disappeared taking the build and upgrade mana with it.

-Increasing the number of abilities a hero has lends a bit more flexibility, even if I don't like the MMO 'clicky' feel of them.

-More champions.  DD1 really only had 8 heroes as 4 of the 12 were just minor tweaks of the original 4.  Of the 13 in DD2, I've only gotten to try 6 (dryad and adapt), but I can say the Adapt feels more different from the Apprentice than I expected.  It would be nice if they'd separate them more though.

-New/replaced/shuffled towers.  Several heroes had towers that were basically useless.  Especially the squire and huntress.  The rework came out fairly well overall.

-Mod customization.  While I see a lot of complaining about the randomness in getting them, the base idea of customizing how *you* play is a good one.

-All characters level.  While I am not a fan of swapping heroes mid fight (breaks my feeling of connection to the character) being able to take any character into a fight without spending hours leveling each one is just how it should be.

-Individual loot.  Saves SO many arguments!

-Character customization.  At least, it would be good if it was separated from loot boxes.  I am willing to pay for an outfit, especially if it was added after release, but I will not gamble for them.

-Swapping characters.  While I am again, not a fan, it does allow the game to be played when there is simply no one else on.

As the OP wanted positive changes only, I will save the negative ones for a different post.  Overall I have enjoyed DD2, though it has some gameplay flaws.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

- I would love to see Lavamancer, Mystic and Dryad back in dda. they had some fun tower potions to play around with.

- I loved the idea of "ultimate" towers where you could only place 1 per character. (here maybe a little change to 1 tower per player)

- Characters that can empower towers while playing (dryad corruption or mystic appeasement)

- unique bossfights

What i DONT want to see again

- Ascension levels. Was simply boring forced grinding way to limit players progress. (i prefer random drop chance to empower my hero instead of "do map 50 times to have enough xp to continue on next difficulty")

- Chaos enemy's that spawn constantly in all lanes that hard counter towers.

- Challange maps that are to easy due to restricted difficulty

• Like 1