Sign in to follow this  
Kobalobasileus

A Note on "Duping."

I see a LOT of agonizing about duping on this forum, with plenty of suggestions of dictatorial control over player data and other Live Service trappings in order to counter it.

I would like to point out that item duping is NOT the end of the world, and is, in fact not a big deal even in cases where a LOT of money is involved.

Let me tell you all a little story: One of the best thoroughbred polo horses in the entire world is a clone. This horse's owner has numerous other clones of the same original horse, and even sells these cloned horses and their reproductive cells to other polo players and breeders. The regulatory board that maintains the rules for polo, which, like all sports, has a ton of money involved in it and high-stakes gambling attached to it, is completely okay with this.

What is the moral of this story? Polo players riding duped horses are allowed to compete side-by-side with players riding unique horses in any and all polo matches. Enormous sums of money change hands for both duped and non-duped horses, and via wagers on the results of the polo matches involving these horses.

If duped horses are allowed in a money-soaked, high-stakes arena like polo, worrying about duped digital items for imaginary characters in a videogame is abjectly stupid and a complete waste of time and developer resources.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/12/six-cloned-horses-help-rider-win-prestigious-polo-match

^For citation purposes.

And if you REALLY want to combat item duping, the best way is not to take the DRM route and impose draconian control. It's to make item drops consistent enough in quality that people won't feel the need to make copies of the few good items that appear.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

But is the point of playing polo, to play the game or for the players to make horses?

I'd be okay with your analogy if the polo player had to work to buy horses and raise them in order to play the game and that cloning instantly gave some other players some of the best horses.

Edited by Windex
  • Haha 1

Not a good analogy. The owner of the polo horse's genes is fine with giving it away. In a vast majority of cases, the player whose gear got duped is not okay with it. I don't want some asshat walking around in gear that I put effort into farming.

• Like 1

horrible analogy btw. a better one would be if someone took your pay check and ran it through a copying machine and took the same amount of money you did without doing any work. that analogy made me cringe as much as your pfp :classic_biggrin:

• Like 4

Nope. Poor analogy. The point behind Polo is the skill of the players and the sport itself. Half the point behind DD2 is the grind. The game has plenty of content for the casual player, but rewards players who devote a lot of time to it as well. It's tough to balance, but it does require some degree of strict guidelines. Allowing players to skip the grind also had the additional effect of producing large numbers of "high level" players that could not actually play high level content. This was never more apparent than during the DD2 beta, when a new player could join someone playing nightmare 4, equip whatever high gear score stuff dropped, and then not have any idea how to build. The grind is about more than just earning the items, the grind is what teaches a person how to build through increasing progression. Duping skips that process entirely.

2 hours ago, Bonnabelle said:

horrible analogy btw. a better one would be if someone took your pay check and ran it through a copying machine and took the same amount of money you did without doing any work. that analogy made me cringe as much as your pfp :classic_biggrin:

This right here ^

Much better analogy for duping.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

regaardless of the analogy you cited I can understand what you were trying to say. I must tho disagree with duping of digital content being much a fuss about nothing. The time you invested gaining an item whether you had to work 70hr week or play for a month  is worth something. Just because you may not earn a pay check for gaming, there does exist players of game like WOW, LOL who sell their time to grind for those who cannot commit the time needed. Time may be unquantifiable in terms of cold hard cash but it still an investment people make. Even with your analogy you still have to wait a few years for the cloned horse to grow you cant instantly go with a press of a button and magically a fully grown cloned horse appears fully trained. 

Taking your point further one could also argue that modifying your cursed helemt to have 700 on all stats is also fine because its only digital content anyway. Those who are willing and able to invest days weeks or even months hunting down that elusive piece of gear.pt etc do not want to feel insulted just because someone wishes to skip that and instantly be op.

I can understand the rational that some items drop rates are so rdiculously low that it almost encourages duping or modifying items and I will conceed that this could be addressed in DDA. I just dont agree with activiely allowing such practices is good for the game.

Edited by dizzydiana

Posted (edited)

@dizzydiana I agree with everything you said but the last part. Maybe the rarest items could drop a bit more often but the best possible items should always be almost out reach. To me it's the whole point of playing the game once you've beat all the content.

Edited by Windex