DunDef 50% CPU during play, anyone know why?

My system is an almighty dual core 1.66ghz, a staggering 1gb of ram and an awe inspiring shared vram nvidea card.

i run the game as follows, 800x600 fullscreen, graphics low, tower range on, some additional lighting on edited in the ini and saved as read only. post processing turned off ingame. the game with these settings runs pretty good. no lag or stutter other than monk aura,portal gun. i originally had stutter problems in menu but decreased texture pool size to 128 and it went away.

today i increased performance of team fortress 2 by 50%, i'd had problems with it at the start and disabled multicore processing, fixed the problem another way and forgot to turn this back on.

so i wondered how much cpu does dundef use, there is a stutter when the Ram usage fluctuates, (i ran in a window with cacheman on) so i figured meh, i've ordered new ram last week so i'm looking forward to that. but the issue is, the cpu usage never went above 50-60%. cacheman displays both cores, and they displayed around 20 to 50 each. is it possible dundef is using one core?

if i could improve dundef like i did tf2 today that would be dreamy, thanks.

I'm not certain, but I believe only the render engine is multithreaded, so if you have effectively disabled most of what it needs to do, I doubt you'll see much above 1 core used. 50-60% seems fair. I tried ramparts hard with 800x600 + low detail + disabled multithreaded render, and only used 25%-30% of my quad, which is about the same as your dual. Loading screens/levels would spike to above 90%, but for most of the game I think it runs a single thread + render thread. Thus, if you want to use more cpu, turn up the graphics usage. However that probably isn't feasible for you.

yeah it sucks, i tried various configs, it seems what i have plus some anisotrophic filtering+ the games equiv of AA is as good as i can go. if the game used 70% of my total cpu i'd be able to run the game with a bit more detail, but things like fog slow it down and some of the extra details include fog. the slowdown ruins the fun a little. plus my grpahics card is kinda wack, no sky texture ever, the flame animation pauses and starts. i think my graphics card is the bottleneck, 256mb shared vram. or possibly my ram, 1gb but its really about 700megs of ram free for the game.

I would guess gpu. On the same settings my game uses between 700 - 750mb of ram. (on high quality 1920x1080 I use over 1gb.)

Although, since it is shared ram with the gpu, it could be ram.

The CPU would be the problem as its Terribly weak, hell it barely meets the minimum requirements, and with a CPU that lowend it sounds like your playing DD on a Netbook, which are not meant to be used for gaming.

In addition to the weak CPU, i imagine the Graphics is just as weak and as such wouldnt do any better.

Considering however how much ram DD is capable of using the additional RAM may help, but either way you look at it theres really not much you can do.

Added RAM should help all around, but on a system like that i cant see how itd help with gaming.

Maybe DigitalIP. Certainly not impossible (and theres no way to prove you wrong), but I think the unreal 3 engine is mostly gpu dependent. TF2 is pretty much the only game I know that is mostly cpu dependent. Dungeon Defenders doesn't really do much as far as cpu work goes. Mobs have very very basic AI, theres only up to 4 humans at a time.. towers don't move .. its pretty simple. I would bet money that it is roughly a 30/70 split between cpu/gpu with graphics all on high. Of course on low that means its more like 50/50, but the requirements go through the floor.

Here, think about it like this. The game runs on moble phones. They aren't known to have the best processors (though getting better). I'm sure they raised the limits for the pc/console version, but that just shows that at its core dungeon defenders is a simple game to run.

It is probably using more than that. Multi-threaded systems don't exactly show the cpu usage correctly. It is most likely using 100% of one of your cores, and that is the problem. 1.6 ghz dual core is probably not going to cut it. Even people with decent i5 laptops have issues running this game.

maybe, the game is fine on my settings but i was just wondering if i can beef it up a little more. at 1024x768 the game becomes full fps to just ok when things get heavy, its AA or MSAA i want to enable without a fps hit, or perhaps a little more detail to the game, i havent yet tried adding the trilinear filtering to the config. perhaps i'll give that a go later

Once the mod tools come out you might find its possible to edit the graphics at a finer level through editing the actual effects and what not. For example in tf2 the pyro turned out to lagging a friend of mine's computer, so I just lowered the number of sprites fired from about 50 at once to 25. (I think the default is 100 at high quality, 50 at low). While the trick doesn't work on many sv_pure servers, it does work most of the time. It does look significantly worse, but fps comes before pretty.

i just upgraded my ram from 1gb to 2gb and noticed a significant boost in starcraft 2,fm2011, and team fortress 2, where i was able to bump up the graphics with no stuttering. unfortunatly the tiniest boost has occured in dundef, back to tavern and no longer any hnnnrghhh tavern loading, start of levels is now smooth. would have been nice if the strain being relieved could have helped elsewhere.

Most "multi-threaded" games do not use two cpu cores very intensively. The main reason is that most games are sequential and letting a second cpu do some work can cause a desychronization if the game is not programmed well. The easiest way to use a second cpu core is to allow it to perform a task which does not matter when it is finished. Your operating system is likely displaying the correct usage of your processor, but there is nothing you can do about it without upgrading your cpu.

Well thats good to know that its running better.

As for the TF2 thing, yeah TF2 and other source games usually rely on the CPU, but the backbone and requirement for any game to run decently regardless of the CPU is the Graphics Card.

As long as a GPU is decent enough it will pick up the slack of a lacking CPU, sure there may be a bottleneck between the 2 but atleast theres enough power holding it all together.

Which leads me to my next point for anyone that reads this.

- Netbooks do not count as a gaming machine in any shape or form when it comes to 3D games. Whether it has an nVidia ION GPU or not, Netbooks are simply not powerful enough for any type of decently graphic 3D game. Even if it has a decent CPU, you wont get anywhere if the GPU doesnt meet the minimum or recommended specs.

Before buying a game, ALWAYS check the spec requirements.

As the OP has discovered, more RAM never hurts, if you have under 1-2GB of RAM, you may want to invest in more.

i think i've noticed that the game seems to be running along mainly on one core, everything else and some menial game tasks are running on the other, with the more ram i am able to run games without stutters or hnnnrghh moments from my computer. i can now Alt tab smoothly instead of having to wait ages and also steam works much better, such as the ingame thing, i can chat away whilst sc2 runs in the background. i'm just installing oblivion as that game before ran quite playably before except stutters really got on my nerves, if the ram helps with that then yahoo.