Windex

My multi-ideas thread

Posted (edited)

I'll begin by saying that I absolutely loved DD1 and I would not even mind if we had an almost exact copy with better graphics, new maps, new enemies and items. I'm aware most people don't wanna play the same thing again and it of course won't be the case but the kickstarter says "that recaptures the soul of the original dungeon defenders" So I'm expecting it to have a lot of similar elements to DD1.

Since I don't think only commenting whether you like or dislike something will have much of an impact unless it's often brought up and heavily agreed upon. I'll be giving my personal opinions on different aspects of DD1 while trying to give ideas to change or improve them. I will also give suggestions for brand new features.

Disclaimer : I have only played the versions of DD2 before it went free to play on ps4

Defenses presets :
This idea is to go alongside a change I will be proposing later on but I can easily see it be implemented regardless based on the general feedback or the devs opinion about it.

My main reason of suggesting this feature is because I am a perfectionist and one of the only thing that annoyed me in DD1, was the amount of time it took me when playing alone to constantly build all my defenses again every time I replayed a map. Making all of them face the right way, making sure every tower and minions were buffed and dealing with the auras touching each others. So here it goes:

• Add an option to save the positions of all your currently placed defenses. It could be an option in the forge menu or an option that appears after you win or lose a map.

• Here's two ways to implement loading a preset I can think of :

1- A menu in the forge that let's you load the preset you want.

2- A much more realistic way on a technical point of view to me is to select the preset you want while selecting the map you want to play, before entering it. Only the host would be able to load their preset but that shouldn't be a problem since if the person you're playing with wants to build they can host the map instead with their preset. Only the host would be able to load their preset but it doesn't look like a problem to me since multiple people loading their presets would just mean overlapping defenses and an incongruous setup. If there really were people who wanted to have matching presets, they could just have the person with the most towers placed save their presets and build around it every time.

• I would have the loaded preset defenses appear as transparent, semi-visible, ghost-like towers. You would still need to have the mana to conjure them and to actively run to them to summon them. They would not prevent you from building something on top if you wanted to build something differently.

• You would have about 4 presets per map and should be able to rename them according to their purpose. By example; Solo play, 4-Player, Boss Killer

• All the presets data should be stored on the player's side. None of this should cause any additional server cost. Offline players would still be able to use it and I don't see how any cheater, if there ever are any, could exploit this.

• Defenses presets could possibly only be available above a certain difficulty only realistically playable after you have beaten the game.

• This would be a great quality of life feature for console players, myself being one.

Difficulty, difficulty scaling and survival mode :

I have no problem with how map progressing worked in DD1. I would not mind a very similar progression system. The only problem I really had with DD1 was how long the waves lasted in Survival. This is pretty much because of how the difficulty scaled in DD1. As far as survival went, quickly enough, enemies only scaled by getting faster, having more hp and dealing more damage. At some point you would get an increasing amount of ogres. The game also thought that by sending you 1.5k enemies it would be harder than sending 400 when in fact it didn't matter as long as your buffs and auras didn't expire.

I will not talk about ways to change the difficulty since I'm sure the way the difficulty works and increases must have been improved with DD2. I'd just like to talk more about Survival mode and propose some core changes.

• Do not have survival mode the best and main way to farm better items and pets
  • Have the survival mode itself only reward things like : special items, skins, achievements and titles for reaching certain thresholds for the first time.
  • It would have no end so people could compete for rankings on the leaderboards for something more tangible than "Points". Although this only works if there are no hackers.
  • It would still be a viable way to get very strong equipment from enemies after reaching a certain point.

Farming maps :

It would be nice if any map would be worth farming. The defenses presets would be extremely handy if the game had you play a lot of maps rather than be in one for an extended period of time. I've only thought of three ideas so far :

1. A feature to play a random map on a difficulty that you have beaten all the maps on. (I'm not sure how the dlc maps would work with that) You would be rewarded something valuable to that difficulty if you beat it. There should be some feature to prevent people from only trying to get the fastest or easiest maps.
  2. A slider option or something similar, that would let you raise the difficulty of a map higher than normal while giving a boost to the quality/stats of the items dropped. This would only really be necessary for Nightmare and/or Massacre.
  3. This idea would need a lot more thoughts into it and polish. I was thinking beating a map could reward you with something that could be used to be traded in for something. Longer/harder maps would have to give more of it to compensate for the longer time spent.

Trading:

I'll be addressing trading itself and the currency used.

1. An auction-house like feature would be extremely useful. The biggest problem is potential hackers. If any hacked items started appearing, it would ruin the whole thing. It would only take one person selling max stated items to ruin the whole economy. The smaller problem is that from what I read from CG, they're trying to keep the server fees as small as possible.
  2. A strong currency would be awesome. A simple options would be to make sure gold/mana can be used. In DD1 you were given too much mana. My idea goes in pair with my point 3. about farming maps :

- Have maps drop a currency when beaten that can be traded to a npc for a chance at rare. An example based on DD1 : 3 of the hardest maps worth of currencies to trade in for 70% chance to get a Transcendent, 14% to get a Supreme, 8% to get an Ultimate, 5% to get an Ultimate+, 3% to get an ultimate++. I'm thinking the possible rewards when traded in to the npc should scale with the hardest map you have beaten so it doesn't give you rewards that are too good for the point you're at. Every difficulty after the first one or two should probably have their own currency and rewards when traded to the npc. I'm not giving this idea of a new mechanic to get rewards because I think it should be present but as an example of a possible solid and permanently relevent currency to use to trade with other players.

Group play :

Much of my time playing DD1 was solo. But I've seen a few things pointed out by other forum members.

• It should not be more efficient to play with more players because more enemies would spawn and you would get more items. By that I mean, you should not get more items but it should naturally be potentially faster, depending on the group. The difficulty should scale differently e.g less weaker enemies and more dangerous ones. It should not affect the amount of items dropped.

• Loot should be instanced, you should not be scared you could miss out on a piece of equipment not want to play with anyone you don't know. The main problem I see with this is that it really empowers emulating controllers or using multiple controllers on console to get more loot. One option would be to have the split-screen players share the same loot and not have it instanced from each other. But unless there would be a way to not really penalize the genuine split-screen players with some kind of compensation, that's probably not a good enough solution.

• A system more accurate than only setting a certain minimum level as a prerequisite to join your game. Setting level75 or over as the requirement to join your game would not mean that anyone that joined were actually geared well enough. It's also not evident whether or not they're useful or not unless you watch them play or have some way to inspect them. A way to avoid even having to do any of that would be great. I have a few suggestions :

1- Have gear have a power value. It could be the sum of it's stats or be calculated in some other way. The gear could have a power value based on it's rarity that determines the amount of stats it has. You would have an option to set a minimum required power level in order to join your game if you don't want people with the level but who are under-geared to possibly join your game. It shouldn't be settable above 80~95% of your own stats. I don't like this that much since that number wouldn't account for your skills and strategies (mainly relevant as a builder since skill won't really make you do more hero dps). It also wouldn't take into consideration stuff like mods if we get them.

2- Add a trial or something similar, that would test your defenses strength and hero dps individually. It could attribute you a power value only seeable by you. Same thing as 1-, the host would have the option to set a required "power" required to join if they want to.

3- When playing regular maps that are not challenges, you could have the following options; "Must have beaten the previous map" "Must have beaten the map before the previous one". Those requirement could appear on the games browser or they could just pop-up to the person trying to join if they don't meet the requirements set by the host. Combining it with setting a minimum level to join, it should already be preventing most unqualified players from trying to join.

Any of the 3 options I enumerated would just be additional optional ways to manage who can join your game.

Quality of life improvements :

• You should be able to loot after you lost. Maybe not during your first playthrough of the campaign if you want there to be some kind of bigger feeling of defeat by having the map ending as soon as you lost. I think you already have the ability to loot after you're defeated in DD2 but I'm not sure.
  • I never had a problem with it but I saw a few people complain that there were too many items dropping and they would end up with their inventory full all the time. There could be a customizable loot filter with a bunch of different parameters you can change to not show you or show you items with specific stats etc.

Console optimizations :

I almost forgot to mention this. This is one of my only concern regarding DD:A, while also being by far my biggest. I quit playing DD1 when I got to the point where I would have to farm Karathiki Jungle and I realized how extremely laggy it was for me. Playing DD2 on ps4 before it became accessible for free to everyone, left me with very bad memories regarding lag. I have made a thread about this but I would like to reiterate my concern about consoles performances.

Since there will be cross-save, all platforms should have the exact same version of the game so please make the game with the performances on consoles in mind. If you wait until the console versions are playtested, it will likely be too late to change and fix anything. I'm already almost sure that the regular ps4 will be taxed just to handle the large maps. If everything is not developed accordingly, there will be lag with all the mobs, the players and towers attacking all simultaneously. I have not yet bought a supporter pack on the kickstarter because I was wishfully hoping to be reassured by the devs before getting one since I stop playing games as soon as I start feeling lag. If I don't hear anything I'll get one before the campaign is over and hope I didn't waste my money until then or be happy/feel regretful if I end up hearing news about this before release.

Final words :

Again, I'm aware some/multiple things I've mentioned in my post might not even be present at all in DD:A but I really wanted to point out the things I thought could be improved if they were to be coming back in DD:A. I also wanted to give new ideas since the game is still in such an early stage that any idea they really like could make it into the game by the release. I'll finish by naming a few things that made DD1 such a memorable gaming experience to me and that I hope to see again in DD:A.

• I had bought a triple or quadruple pack but didn't have any dlcs and with none of my friends still playing, after beating Glitterhelm Caverns a couple times I stop playing. I grabbed the collection of the game as soon as it came up as part of an humble bundle. And oh boy how scary was The Deeper Well on nightmare. I struggled to kill enemies let alone beat a wave. I would jump on and admire any new piece of sweet strong loot I just found. As I finally managed to beat The Deeper Well and slowly advance through the maps, I always had that strong feeling of progression from having and finding rarer more powerful loot.

• Even after beating all the campaign maps and having become "Very powerful" there were still so many rarer and much more powerful items to trying and get. Even when you did find a rare one it didn't mean you were done caring about that item. You could always potentially find a stronger one. Sure it wouldn't make that big a difference on your strength but that was an added bonus while you were trying to find those "godly" extremely rare quality items.
  • A lot of people might not agree, but I really liked that the last 1 or 2 maps were so hard. I had an end-goal and I knew I wasn't wasting my time working toward it.
  • There were so many different ranged weapons. There were many uniquely looking ones, they all had their own projectiles, projectiles spreads, projectiles speed, etc.

P.S. I had a really hard time formatting my post. Sometimes it would simply not let me write it correctly.

Edited by Windex
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Windex said:

The difficulty should scale differently e.g less weaker enemies and more dangerous ones. It should not affect the amount of items dropped.

I've gotta disagree with this after seeing how DD2 went. DD2's multiplayer aspect was largely dead because it worked this way. It actually made the game pretty boring.

It simply wasn't worth playing with people. The difficult increase per player joining normally wasn't countered by their strength so it just made things harder and realistically you don't clear the map faster with more people because on most maps you're killing things as they spawn anyway - it literally can't get faster. Plus you often have people messing around between waves taking time to ready up slowing you down.

So all in all playing with other people was literally just a negative - you had a tougher, often slower time and gained absolutely nothing extra from it. And that's without even considering leechers etc. 

The multiplayer bonuses that got added made the game far better, and actually pushed the community together instead of everyone playing on their own exclusively.

Posted (edited)

@Cuddles My main concern about that matter is that in DD1, having more players mostly meant having more enemies and making the waves longer and not any more challenging. You can have much more Hero dps and people reacting to things simultaneously when you have 4 players instead of 1. True more enemies from having more people made more loot drop but that's not really useful for earlier waves that wouldn't really drop anything good. I just think the game should just be made so that you don't feel like you'll waste your time playing with randoms. I don't know what are the bonuses you talked about but sure that can be a good idea. As long as it doesn't make playing solo feel like you're wasting time and force you into playing with randoms. The biggest problem to me was that in DD1, you didn't know how strong people that actually joined would be. You don't want to play a survival map on an extremely hard map and end up dying 10-15 waves later because someone built towers that sucked. O_O

Maybe have an option to prevent people from building if you don't want people to in your game. Or the ability to host your game privately and then be able to turn it into public once you've placed everything you wanted to build. In dd1 most end-game maps I played, you needed the right placement and combination of towers in order to beat the map unless you were over-geared. That was a reason why I didn't wanna play with randoms messing up everything.

edit :

So all in all playing with other people was literally just a negative - you had a tougher, often slower time and gained absolutely nothing extra from it.

I was thinking the difficulty should scale differently. If you have more people it should have more ways to challenge you accordingly. If you have 4 players rather than 1, don't just send 12 more orcs with more hp and dmg. If you had 1 ogres when playing solo, you should get one of those giant kamikaze kobold that you need to take care of as a group, that's just an example. If you have more players, it should challenge you accordingly. Add mechanics that exploit the fact that you have more players, like grabbing things to take out the shield on an enemy that couldn't be done in time when playing solo. It also shouldn't mean longer maps. If they add Defenses presets, it would feel a lot less penalizing to lose and have to start over. So I feel like they could have more crazy things thrown at you than just have more mobs with more hp and dmg.

I don't actually mind the way the difficulty scaled in DD1. I just don't want survival waves to last over 15 minutes. Maybe double the waves amounts and rewards thresholds and make the waves shorter and much more intense. This is only relevant if Survival mode does come back as a key way to get good stuff.

Edited by Windex

Posted (edited)

There are pain points in both games as some things were tried to opposite extremes.

In DD2, multiplayer was dead as there was zero incentive to play lower floors, apart from endless shard farming. DD2 also suffered from any long mode. You never made it past wave 5/6 and you never saw all your defenses at max level. 

DD1 multiplayer was better, but it also often forced you to wait until you had 4 players to ensure max chances at gear, however player interactions were iffy and often you had bad situations with people AFK in menus or hosts that kick for fun. DD1 had longer maps, but players got tired of how long it was taking to play.

I still feel that they key to DDA succeeding is to not be all of one or the other. Pick the bost of both worlds, and have plenty of different game modes that do not all play the same. 

Edited by Jaws_420

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Jaws_420 said:

DD1 multiplayer was better, but it also often forced you to wait until you had 4 players to ensure max chances at gear, however player interactions were iffy and often you had bad situations with people AFK in menus or hosts that kick for fun. DD1 had longer maps, but players got tired of how long it was taking to play.

The idea that you "get better rewards" with more players is a misleading statement that is on a splash screen somewhere in DD1.  The end of map rewards are not affected in any way by # of players present. More players = higher enemy count = more loot rolls. By the law of large numbers, this marginally increases the loot rarity because the worse items eventually leave the map as the higher quality ones drop.

The only "long" maps in DD1 are survival maps which go from 25 waves to 40 waves. Most campaign maps took between 20 to 30 minutes. Nowdays with new builds these same maps take 10-20 minutes.

The real problem with DD1 multiplayer is that it was more efficient to do solo runs and bring in controller characters to get 4x rewards when you finish the map, so best to stay in private tavern. This is not true on very few maps; see Crystalline Dimension and Temple of Polybius, both of which only give the player 1 set of rewards even if you have controller characters in.

Edited by Caimen0

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Caimen0 said:

The real problem with DD1 multiplayer is that it was more efficient to do solo runs and bring in controller characters to get 4x rewards when you finish the map, so best to stay in private tavern. This is not true on very few maps; see Crystalline Dimension and Temple of Polybius, both of which only give the player 1 set of rewards even if you have controller characters in.

I wasn't even aware that was a thing back when I played. Only heard from it recently on the forum. I feel like there isn't really a way to prevent that without punishing the real coop players or the solo players. I think since legit splitscreen is actually such a low % of cases, it should probably be like it was with Crystalline Dimension and Temple of Polybius for all maps.

Edited by Windex

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:52 AM, Cuddles said:

I've gotta disagree with this after seeing how DD2 went. DD2's multiplayer aspect was largely dead because it worked this way. It actually made the game pretty boring.

It simply wasn't worth playing with people. The difficult increase per player joining normally wasn't countered by their strength so it just made things harder and realistically you don't clear the map faster with more people because on most maps you're killing things as they spawn anyway - it literally can't get faster. Plus you often have people messing around between waves taking time to ready up slowing you down.

So all in all playing with other people was literally just a negative - you had a tougher, often slower time and gained absolutely nothing extra from it. And that's without even considering leechers etc. 

The multiplayer bonuses that got added made the game far better, and actually pushed the community together instead of everyone playing on their own exclusively.

No.  DD2's multiplayer was largely dead because there is a large lack of host options.  Why would I want to build a map only to have two people in a party join and kick me because they were too lazy to play private?  Or go with a PUG into a map only to have one person go AFK and not drop the mana to build?  Things like that happened quite often and that is the main reason I didn't and don't play public matches.

The way to promote people playing together isn't to increase the chance of rare loot or the number of item drops with more people in the map.  That promotes emulating more controllers (i.e. DD1) or having multiple steam accounts open (DD2) in order to get more loot.  It's just far harder to do and more taxing on a machine in DD2 which is why it doesn't happen as much.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'm kind of in a dilemma, should I post gameplay stuff now while the game is still "early" in development to have more chance of stuff being added into the game or wait around the PC closed beta to have more chance of the devs hearing about it.. I posted ideas very early on mostly because I was very hyped about the game. I'm not too hot about waiting for the PC beta to post a suggestion about controller players.. At the same time, DD2 has been out for years on consoles and some of the things I'm gonna talk about are still present.

I'm not trying to rant and complain, I'm just really hoping that DD:A can be free of those avoidable game development issues. You could easily read what I'm gonna say below and think "Just buy a good pc", unfortunately my wrists are screwed and I can't play keyboard and mouse anymore. I decided to switch to consoles about 5 years ago since you don't have to worry about whether a game is playable with a controller and if so how well. Unfortunately, a lot of lower budget games have performance issues on consoles.

1- LAG. I hate playing a game and heavily feeling the frames go down. I decided to give DD2 another shot a couple weeks ago to see if things had changed. Unfortunately they had not. The public town was a huge laggy mess and despite immediately going to my private tavern, I would get sent back there every time I left a map. Just running around in The gates of Dragonfall (the smallest map right?) with no defenses placed or units spawned, felt horrible. I saw you're building the game for Switch and up-scaling from there but please keep performances on consoles in mind when creating any aspect of the game. Not just the campaign. I would hate for the end-game maps on the hardest difficulty to be a lagfest. Possibly have consoles specific tweaks to prevent/reduce lag. I wouldn't mind to have game options to turn off some animations or other things like that if I wanted to reduce lag.

2- TEXT SIZE. I often play console games and wonder "Have they ever played/tested their game on a tv?" When I went back to DD2 there were now mods features that were not present the last time I played. It was extremely hard to read the mods texts without standing up from my chair and leaning toward my TV. And I play from a very reasonable distance from my TV. Any closer would be too close. I'm assuming this won't happen with DD:A since it's going to have split-screen. Having any relatively small texts on a 4-ways split TV would be...

3- CONTROLLER QoL. If what I'm gonna say is actually present in DD2, I apologize I missed it. I'm a perfectionist person and back when I played DD1 on PC, I liked everything to be placed exactly how I wanted. Please add the ability to slow down your angle sensitivity when building. Just add a building mode only hotkey, like Left trigger or something like that, that slows down your building angle sensitivity so that you can more easily build your defense in the exact angle you want.

That's all I had to say about that. Keep up your awesome work on the game, it's been nice to hear your progress through your updates.

Edited by Windex
  • Like 2

@Windex, I completely understand where you are coming from, and agree with your points. In both games controllers and consoles were very poorly optimised. The text on those lane schedules in dd2 just well OMG!!! I dont even wanna think with 4 split screen players.I and many others felt that consoles were just forgotten in some respects.  I understand that the majority of players are on PC and using kbd+mouse, but it is important as with any multi-platform game that everyone should have a pleasant gaming experience not just one section of the community. I am happy to hear they are focusing and getting it run well on the switch(which by all accounts is likely to be the most difficult) and hope that will mean an overall better console experience. The beta itself being PC exclusive still wont tell us players on console how it will run until full release. This makes me a little nervous,I hope that in advance of the full release we can at least see it playing on console in a dev stream. I do wish however that the beta could be extended to the console players so they can also give feedback on how the game runs.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

After going through the latest posts in  What you want and don't want in DDA, I had more ideas and decided to post them here since that thread is so big now that most people don't even bother to read most of it.

First of all I would really like to see CG, when they get to that point in development, start making polls on the forums or the kickstarter update emails to get a feel of the general opinion about different aspects of DD1 and 2. A 90% in favor vs 10% would be a no-brainer while a 60% in favor vs 40 doesn't mean the other 40% are completely against it and we could work together with CG to make most of the 40% happy.

Onto the ideas [These are just my personal opinions and I'm totally opened to adaptations] :

Run stat:
Someone suggested to remove the run stat and I agree. Remove the actual stat from rolling on gear or being leveled up with stat points and add a new stat (I want more stats not less). I don't see much point having that stats if it's easy to cap. Have run speed scale up with your level. There could still be unique ways to improve your run speed without being abuse-able.

Fun randomly triggered events:
Someone suggested to have enemies wearing special armors with a chance to drop them. My idea is a bit similar to one I already made about adding fun randomness. Add random events like bonus waves. Examples :

1- Every map would have a chance upon completion to have a bonus extra wave with better drop quality. Better drop quality is just one of many possibilities.

2- At any time, an event wave could "spawn" in between two regular waves. Like, you just defeated wave 4/6 and suddenly you get a message and a special sound alert corresponding to the event, that the next wave is a special "Kobold rush" where all the enemies are exploding Kobolds and maybe after killing all of them a super Kobold would spawn which emits explosions every X seconds and tries to get to the Crystal for that lane. If defeated he would drop good loot. This is just an example, there are so many possibilities. There could be an Ogres only event, assassins only where you have to survive and fail the event if all players died. [I believe these events should in no way ruin your current map if you were to encounter them. I'll give my solution to that at the end of my events suggestions]

There could be events that don't even involve fending off enemies. Again there are so many possibilities. Like, a big chest could spawn in the middle of the map and you have to quickly gather keys (amount scaling with the amount of players) to open the chest before the timer runs out and it's gone. It would involve much more work but there could even be cool animations, like the chest would be attached to balloons and you have to unlock it before it crosses the map and is gone for good.

If you wanted players to have a more controlled experience their first time playing the campaign, maybe these events would only have a chance to occur after you have defeated that map at least once.

My idea to not have these events actually be frustrating and potentially ruin your actual run is to have the game save the status and positions of all your defenses at the start of the event wave and reset them all back to their original state at the end of the event so that you could continue playing as if nothing ever happened. Losing by all dying on hardcore and/or losing a crystal would just have you fail the event and respawn you and/or the crystal.

Survival:
Flaws and my ideas to fix them :
There's just no way survival can stay very similar to what it is in DD1. It takes too long and after a certain point, progression wise, you can't even get useful loot from the first dozens of waves.

My idea is a way to fix both issues. Along with the "Starting wave X" option in DD1, add another option you could enable, that would make your towers free to build on the wave you start at only. This would let you build everything you need and be able to handle harder waves much sooner. You wouldn't be able to upgrade anything as upgrading would still cost mana, so from there you'd still have to play like you normally would. I was thinking that if you used that option, you should be able to start on any wave you want except the last X waves. I don't know what that number should be but you shouldn't be able to start too high to prevent having to build and only beat a couple waves and start over and over. I think using that feature should disable wave 15 pets to prevent abuse. If you wanted to farm wave 15 pets, probably just start normally.

At first I was thinking that you would need to beat that map first to unlock that additional option but then I felt that it kinda defeated it's purpose unless you were able to beat the map once relatively quick. I'd be curious to know people's opinion about it.

Nice little additions: I'd like to see more leaderboards and more ways to compete. Like a special survival mode where there are no actual waves nor rewards or a bonus wave when you beat a survival map. Where you have to survive for the longest time or kill as many enemies as possible before you lose. The difficulty should ramp up really quickly so that it doesn't take too long. There should be separate rankings for 1/2/3/4 players. It would be nice to have a leaderboards menu where you can see how you fared compared to everyone else and your friends. Anyway all this is pointless if there are cheaters or people find ways to exploit stuff.

Completion and long term:
Someone suggested to have each map drop their own special item sets with unique bonuses. I like the idea but I have a hard time seeing all but a few sets stay viable compared to the best 1-2-3. Although, they would still be usable until you actually got a full set of the next map. Given you actually got decent stats on the items. Then I thought "What about each map possibly dropping a skin for a specific character?" I really doubt CG would have the time or manpower to actually do pretty much anything I'm gonna talk about but heck why not talk about it anyway. (I like to dream :])

Collection book: My idea is to have a collection book and/or a completion book or something that does both. The collection book would include everything you can earn in the game and give you unique rewards for obtaining certain items. Like obtaining every single type of pets would give you a unique pet. I just thought of a great way to address what stats they should have if you can only get one. Have one of the random events I talked about earlier be an event where an NPC or some kind of forge spawns with a single use to re-roll the stats on your unique items. I believe your unique items should be unsellable , untradeable and undropable. They would go directly from your collection book to your character's inventory if you equip them and vice-versa.

In the same way, every map could have their own collection book entry each with unique rare drops you can collect to obtain a unique item or maybe even a skin. By example : The Deeper Well map would have 3 different parts you can collect in your collection book to form a staff. Each time you finish the map you have a chance to be rewarded a part. Maybe these parts could be trade-able, I'm not sure. I think there should be a collection entry for every difficulty so that you can't just farm on easy and also you can actually try to get the unique reward item with the strength you need / the difficulty you can actually beat. Also, higher difficulty levels would have lower drop chance. You could get the most powerful version if you collected every difficulty versions of the unique item. It would be nice if a few maps had skins parts you can collect as well to form and obtain a unique skin. Maybe in the paid DLCs maps? One thing I'm worried about is that the whole process of farming collection book entries could be very tedious if there's no way to make most maps actually worth running aside from that.

Completion book: The completion book would allow you to easily keep track of everything you have done so far and what you have yet to do. There would be unique rewards too for achievement certain feats. This wouldn't replace the trophies in your Tavern but act as a personal guidance tool.

------

I'm cutting this abruptly and I may have forgot some things but this took a while and I'm tired :p

Edited by Windex
  • Like 1