BlankName

Concern regarding the platforms DD:A will release on

Hey, long time fan of Dungeon Defenders, skipped out on 2 but played the first one a lot. Potentially interested in backing Dungeon Defenders: Awakened, but with the game being developed on Unreal 4, i'm worried over the game potentially getting signed into exclusivity on Epic Games Store. While i can see the benefits for the dev team by signing for exclusivity with Epic, i'd rather see it release on multiple platforms from day one. The open ended answer on Kickstarter FAQ doesn't really help with this concern either.

" Our goal is to be on as many platforms as possible and have everyone playing together! "

This may be the overall goal, but what's stopping you from having DD:A tied exclusively to Epic Games Store for the first year, like so many games in the recent history have chosen to do?

Would love to hear what you folks over at Chromatic Games have to say on this matter.

t6X5kup.png

• Like 1

I'd just like to second this desire for a steam release, and urge for a non EGS exclusive release. 

Posted (edited)

Honestly, why would a game that releases digitally have to be on steam?

Releasing on one platform over another doesn't prevent anyone from playing with everyone.

If we get the confirmation that it will release on steam, then I'm glad for those that are concerned and want to play it on steam.

But please don't start complaining if the game does get released on a specific platform at first. It would only mean more money for the devs that actually really need it and therefore more money to put into the game.

We're not talking about a big publisher who just signs an exclusivity deal and puts the money in his pockets.

It would mean a bigger budget to add more stuff in the game.

But the game is very unknown compared to a lot of other games so I don't think it would be very smart to go on let's say Epic games store unless it's really worth it for them and they would possibly think that they could use that extra money to build a better DD3 game to then release across all platforms.

Edit : thinking again, as it was actually advertised as a Steam release on the kickstarter it would be considered bad faith to not release it on steam. As @hailminion mentioned. I don't think they'll go back on their words. I guess we'll see.

Edit 2: I just realized there's already a thread about the same subject. here

Edited by Windex

Posted (edited)

This has been brought up and discussed multiple times.  Trendy already knows the concern people have.  They've said they want it in as many storefronts as possible.  Not sure why this continues to be brought up over and over again, especially when you have quoted their official statement that they want to be on "as many...as possible."

Edited by gotrunks712

11 minutes ago, gotrunks712 said:

This has been brought up and discussed multiple times.  Trendy already knows the concern people have.  They've said they want it in as many storefronts as possible.  Not sure why this continues to be brought up over and over again, especially when you have quoted their official statement that they want to be on "as many...as possible."

As the past week has shown, many devs have succumbed to EGS exclusivity for that bountiful fornite / tencent cash.

With Chromatic's goal to make DD3 with DDA as their stepping stone - technologically and financially, it is a real concern... 

Why a concern? Well I wont get into the bs of it all (see  r/pcgaming for the communities thoughts on it), Steam has established DD communities, we have our friend lists etc. 

• Like 1

I don't care if the game is one EGS as long as it is also on steam/gog.

The problem with epic is the exclusivity.

As they said in the FAQ: 

We plan on releasing the game on PC currently with no current news on any specific store/platform to report currently. Our goal is to be on as many platforms as possible and have everyone playing together!

But what it says, is that currently they don't know if it will be exclusive or not.

I've read all the KS comments until it reached goal and everytimes they kept saying that "currently there is no plan to lock down to any specific store".

Why say "currently"? Why don't they just say it will not have any pc store exclusive?

At this point I don't even care but atleast tell us. I don't want to back a game 75$ then be force to use EGS. If I want to use EGS i'll buy it on launch for way less.

For anyone thinking that once the KS ends CG will not change they mind.

Another "kickstarter" game was fully funded and should have been released on steam/gog but they just recently took EGS offer (1 year exclusivity).

Meaning that backers completely funded a game and yet the devs choose EGS, 2 years after they campaign was successful.

Well I hope to have more info in the special GDC stream tonight since Epic bought a lot of game during the event.

Bad english, sorry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2019 at 11:39 AM, Windex said:

Honestly, why would a game that releases digitally have to be on steam?

DD1's endgame community existed for roughly 3 years with no new content specifically due to the community features that Steam has. I do not know of any such features on EG'sclient, but there is already a large DunDef backbone for both 1 and 2 that will bleed into DD:A that is entirely lost if storefront exclusivity is implemented.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

That's true. Although there would likely still be official content being added by the time it comes out on steam. @Caimen0

Anyway I'm gonna be playing on console so it doesn't actually concern me +_+. I'd just say you guys need to have faith in CG. The kickstarter said the game would come out on Steam.

Edited by Windex
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Windex said:

Although there would likely still be official content being added by the time it comes out on steam.

An EGS exclusive being timed? From Epic's own engine? Not a chance in hell.

13 minutes ago, Windex said:

Anyway I'm gonna be playing on console so it doesn't actually concern me +_+.

Then please don't white knight for Epic when everyone who does play on PC and will have to deal with the consequences of choice are opposed.

Edited by Caimen0

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Caimen0 said:

Then please don't white knight for Epic when everyone who does play on PC and will have to deal with the consequences of choice are opposed.

I'm not sure when I said anything positive about Epic games.

I'm just tired of everyone only thinking about themselves and complaining on the internet.

I have been saying that they said it would come out on steam and to believe in them. Everyone is just doubting them for no valid reason. I'd like to believe not everyone would sell their soul for money.

Sure everyone can let their concern known but to me if everyone's just "Don't exclusively release on Epic game store" when CG stated it would release simultaneously on Steam, Switch, Xbox One, Playstation 4 on their kickstarter and raised money from that statement, to me that doesn't show much trust in CG.

P.S. I'm not checking this thread again.

Edited by Windex
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Windex said:

when CG stated it would release simultaneously on Steam, Switch, Xbox One, Playstation 4 on their kickstarter

Too bad you won't reply anymore because I would like to see where they said that.

They did say it will release simultaneously on PC, Switch, Xbox, Playstation. That's all.

From the news about consoles port:

That means if the Kickstarter campaign is successful, PC, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox Oneare all included!!!!

Edited by Matthew974

Posted (edited)

Seems clear where this is going, though im prob to pessimistic in general.

lockquote widgetCheck out @Chromatic_Games’s Tweet:

Edited by Hover Tower 2000
FORUM text doesnt always work correct on mobile