Windex

Performance concern on console.

Posted (edited)

I played DD1 and absolutely loved it but I had bad/horrible frame rates in big maps on survival or maps like Karathiki Jungle which led me to stop playing. Although I had only my computer to blame for that.

When DD2 came out on console I bought a supporter pack on ps4 before the game was free for everyone while having the fear in mind that there could be performance issues. Unfortunately it was the case. Maps like the Kobold Bling King and I believe Dawn of the blood moon had very very low frame rates. I have not re-played ever since so maybe there are no performance issues anymore.(I really doubt it though)

After seeing DD:A is going to use Unreal Engine 4 and seeing the VFX added, like the harpoon tower impaling enemies onto surfaces, it screamed terrible frame rates on console to me.

I also love having tons of enemies attacking you at the same time but if DD:A on PS4 has the same amount of simultaneous enemies attacking as it does on some maps in survival in DD1, there is just no way it won't lag.

It's probably too early but do you guys have any plans to prevent almost any lag on consoles? I'm really hoping DD:A is tweaked on console to prevent lag. Although if there ends up being cross-play, having less but harder enemies or changes like that probably won't be possible.

Edited by Windex

I came here to post about the same thing. DD1 is still one of my favourite games. But the performance in both DD1 and DD2 is still very bad.

So I would like to know what the team are actively doing to battle these performance issues, since I see there will be no beta testing on consoles. 

• Like 1

Well performance issues count on many things.

But heres a few things to keep in mind.

The ps3 was a dificult console to code for so optimising it could have been a issue and the ps3 rams wasnt the greatest around either.

The ps4 is alot more well built for its current Gen standars and is eaiser to code for.

It also depends how CG make it handle the game on console but I play FFXIV which is a big MMO and it can handle stuff quite well with much lag. Again it all depends on how CG handles it.

• Like 1

Since they first targeted the Switch for consoles, they probably aren't going to  be maxing out the Unreal Engine 4's capabilities, so I'd say its a fairly safe bet thatany modern PC and the ps4 and xbone will probably be running the game nicely.

Now we've had to think on this, I'm wondering what cross saves mean with this in mind - will PC mob count be gimped so console wont lag?

Will players platform hop to abuse lower mob count etc etc.

Even PC lagged / desynch really bad on DD1 for end game NM maps. 

Posted (edited)

My concern was/is a lot more about DD:A post-campaign. I am almost certain that if the end-game functions in a similar way it did in DD1, with large maps and hundreds of enemies active at the same time, that the gameplay will suffer from heavy frame rates drops. @Martin Arcainess Mentioned FFIV not having performance issues, I also played it and I concur that it mostly always ran smoothly but it wasn't the case in some situations, by example hunts and DD:A should be very similar to that, with hundreds of things on the screen at once. As a ps4 player, I can say that the console usually doesn't deal very well with that.

I was really hoping for tweaks to the console versions of the game. By example, modifying how the difficulty scaling would work by reducing the amount of minions per wave while increasing their HP and DMG but increasing the drop rates accordingly. The itemization/stats would probably have to be tweaked as well to match the changes. Unfortunately, the newly announced Cross-Save feature pretty much throws any console specific tweaks out the window.

Now I'm left with hoping they change the entire game from DD1's big maps and survival with hundreds of enemies spawned simultaneously on them. I'm afraid anything like that won't happen.

I am really hoping for a positive answer from the devs on this matter. I will not play a laggy game, especially not on console, where every game should be optimized to run smoothly all the time.

Please don't get me wrong, I am absolutely not posting to complain. I just really really want DD:A to be awesome and to play it hundreds of hours but I just can't stand playing with lag. It is still early in development so I really hope this can be avoided. I am certain CG will do an amazing job and the game will be awesome content wise, but please, ensure that the game won't suffer from low frame rates on big maps/survival and such.

Otherwise;
CONGRATS ON THE SUCCESSFUL CAMPAIGN!!!

Edited by Windex
  • Like 1

Well with Game devs theres always work arounds you can do. Like in Spryo, how they handled big areas was when you went up/down a long corridor or up on those wind lift things that lifted you up slowly was so that it was giving the game time to load the next area. I notice in DD2 it was more reduce frame rate on mobs a fair distance away.

1 hour ago, Martin Arcainess said:

Well with Game devs theres always work arounds you can do. Like in Spryo, how they handled big areas was when you went up/down a long corridor or up on those wind lift things that lifted you up slowly was so that it was giving the game time to load the next area. I notice in DD2 it was more reduce frame rate on mobs a fair distance away.

That spyro example can't transpose to Dungeon defenders as the game is always processing what's going on in the map. Reducing the animations and details on things far away sounds like a very good thing though.

58 minutes ago, Windex said:

That spyro example can't transpose to Dungeon defenders as the game is always processing what's going on in the map. Reducing the animations and details on things far away sounds like a very good thing though.

Oh I know. I ment it as a examble for work arounds. To help make the gamr seem like it can do  big areas ok same way there be a work around for the consoles to have 100+ enemies out.

4 hours ago, Windex said:

I was really hoping for tweaks to the console versions of the game. By example, modifying how the difficulty scaling would work by reducing the amount of minions per wave while increasing their HP and DMG but increasing the drop rates accordingly. The itemization/stats would probably have to be tweaked as well to match the changes. Unfortunately, the newly announced Cross-Save feature pretty much throws any console specific tweaks out the window.

That shouldn't just be console only balance.  That should be how the game functions as a whole.  Adding more and more mobs at end game only created 15+ minute waves and farming that took hours and hours.  There are other ways to increase difficulty.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gotrunks712 said:

That shouldn't just be console only balance.  That should be how the game functions as a whole.  Adding more and more mobs at end game only created 15+ minute waves and farming that took hours and hours.  There are other ways to increase difficulty.

Yeah that's very true. 1k+ mobs per wave was kinda silly.

56 minutes ago, Windex said:

Yeah that's very true. 1k+ mobs per wave was kinda silly.

1k was probs my limit. I was doing some pure strat on mystmyre forstest and it seemed to cap at 1.1K mobs per wave and it seemed just about what I can handle per wave.

Consoles these days are a lot easier to design games for, as well as stronger from a generational point of view, but I would agree that there are better ways to add difficulty than just increasing monster amounts exponentially. Multiple ideas could be used in my opinion such as increasing damage or health, adding different types of enemies, something that affects the map as a whole, and so on. I haven’t played much of DD2 but the mini bosses in my opinion are great. I much prefer dealing with 5 of those at one time and stressing about my lanes not dying over the snooze fest of watching the counter slowly go up when I used to farm mistymire for giraffes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, starfox64_0 said:

Consoles these days are a lot easier to design games for, as well as stronger from a generational point of view, but I would agree that there are better ways to add difficulty than just increasing monster amounts exponentially. Multiple ideas could be used in my opinion such as increasing damage or health, adding different types of enemies, something that affects the map as a whole, and so on. I haven’t played much of DD2 but the mini bosses in my opinion are great. I much prefer dealing with 5 of those at one time and stressing about my lanes not dying over the snooze fest of watching the counter slowly go up when I used to farm mistymire for giraffes.

one of the newer things they added to onslaught was omega waves. I've yet to encounter them but I think in all lanes all mini boss's show up at once or something.