Posted (edited)

Here is a place to put down some ideas for new tower concepts for DDA (or who knows, maybe you are planting a seed that will germinate in DD3). 

Non-linear shooting paths. Something i thought about today is that we have almost all linear towers in the DD franchise. Things all seems to shoot in 1 general direction, or 360. I'd love to see some curved firing zones. Something that can shoot around corners! We need some new Tetris pieces to build with. In short lanes and enclosed spaces, towers that have angled paths to fire at would be an interesting idea to add to the mix. Something that can make a 90 degree turn would be a lot of fun IMO. I'd even love to see erratic paths, like a lightning bolt that jumps around and hits random enemies in a zig-zag like path. 

Elevation specific defenses. I would like to see some def that are specifically geared to hitting enemies at much higher or lower elevations. Something to place on the mountain tops that rain death down below. Ramsters in DD2 really let me down with its extremely narrow and shallow attack pattern. I'd love to see some more variety in how we defend against places that are a full level or two lower/above. 

Enemy specific defenses. Now this idea could just be a shard/mod/passive, but the idea is that a def would only attack a certain kind of unit. Kind of like the mods in DD2 that increase damage to a certain type, but taken to the next level - now they only attack those types. It would help in builds where a certain unit type keeps wrecking your layout, and you could target them much earlier, and ensure they do no get lost in the mobs. Just an idea...

AOE projectiles. The munitions you fire explode on impact for limited AOE damage. Think mortar shells and such.

More air options. In both DD games thus far the air options have been very limited. I would love to see an actual variety of decent air towers that we can decide on which ones to use in a certain setting. Also, they should be strong enough to do their job. the fact that SGTs were not kings of the skies in DD2 is a big miss on that def. I'd really like to see at least 4-5 different air options, not counting defs that can shoot ground and air. 

Feel free to add to the list...

Edited by Jaws_420
  • Like 5

Frost Defenses

• Fast firing frost tower that would kinda look like the Hailstorm from the female apprentice in DD2, except it targets grounds, would fire ice shards/spikes that split into aoe after it first hit, you get the idea
  • Would work like an aura, but that would be something similar to a glacial patch where it slows down enemies, the frost could breach enemies armor ( imagine a debuff that simply buff the dmg enemies takes the longer they stay in), also if there's something like they keep elemental combo from DD2, would buff fire damages taken and the armor strip would buff the physical. 
  • A defense that is high enough to be realisticaly called a tower as it would drop down/bell shoot some stalactites, nothing else, it just sounds fun to me

Fire Defenses

• A lava beam tower, imagine lava, in a beam. 
  • No others idea, fire so mainstream :^)

Nature/Lightning Defenses :

• A rock catapult, because why not. Could be aoe, we're talking about big rocks. Rocks dont do lightning but they are made from... Nature. Well you get the idea, could be physical but i like my rocks nature.
  • Besides chain lightning (hello LT) and single target zap ( hello LSA) there's not much room for lightning stuff, what about a Tesla coil looking blockade but sturdier than a Tesla coil because... that would be a blockade and it would need to be in the heart of the fight, most likely in the middle of a lane, could gather some energy/electricity from dying/living mobs/whatever and would release it for big boom or more likely big zap, like in a circle. After thinking, it gotta be really sturdy...

(Categorized em by elements just to help with the looks, doesnt matter much) but without element, what about some more usage of nodes/pod(traps) mecanics like Nimbus/Bees from DD2 Dryad, maybe a kind of hybrid thing ( Pods already being a trap hybrid mecanic) like imagine bees ( wouldnt be bees, but you get the idea) and proton beam, like bees are capped at 3 per mobs, but if you place like alots of nodes, it would raise up the amount of thoses "bees" ( A cool looking things could be mecanical/high tech drones from el famoso man and machine but whatever) that a single target can get damages from, like 3 nodes would be like 3 thingy per mobs, with 4 nodes it would be 4, up to X nodes like proton beam.

Not really DD1 things, cause my defenses are way more inspired from DD2 mecanics, DD1 defenses are kinda straight forward, like nothing complicated/looking really different, except LT with her max targets/range between targets scaling but thats something else 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember when i was younger and discovered Dungeon Defenders on Xbox 360, i was like 13 or something like, i've became so much into tower defense game i used to wrote tons and tons of defense/tower for DD, i had lots of imagination, thoses kind of game have lots of potential i think, fun wise :^)

• Like 1

Some towers from Sanctum 2 can totally be implemented into DD, with some cartoony conversions of course. Not sure how multiple pure anti-air towers would pan out though, considering you can deal with air mobs with most towers anyway.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 8:33 PM, Jaws_420 said:

Elevation specific defenses. I would like to see some def that are specifically geared to hitting enemies at much higher or lower elevations. Something to place on the mountain tops that rain death down below.

Lava should flow down, burning and taking everything on its path.

Water could work this way too, except drenching instead of burning.

• Like 1

Wall-based towers.  Can't put them on the ground, only on vertical (or at least nearly vertical) inclines.  These can range from spikes to little turrets that can't be attacked to a nest of bees that fly out when enemies are near.

Mobile towers.  There's a lot of possibilities with this one.  You could have something collapsible that folds out into "attack form" and folds back in for transport.  Or, you could have something built like EV beams, but functions like a track and towers can be put on it so they can be pushed (or auto move) along the track.  Maybe even towers that can be attached to heroes.

• Like 1

Great ideas but if we let the game how it is it keeps the challenge rather than getting what everyone wants, just something to think about.

Posted (edited)

a tower that is literally a black hole in the floor like a portal that enemies fall into and a portal above it that they fall out of and take damage from falling. this would let airial towers do damage to enemies as well, but enemies would only fall one time into each portal.

the damage would be based on the tower and not necessarily the fall damage you get from freezing air enemies

Edited by super_slayan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Neoneo said:

Great ideas but if we let the game how it is it keeps the challenge rather than getting what everyone wants, just something to think about.

I think the idea is to add diversity, which can create new challenges.  It's like playing DD1 with a new Squire hero vs. a new Monk hero.  One has defenses that are physical and can shoot at range, the other has bubbles that can hit in an area and deal elemental damage.  How you build your defenses will depend on what defenses are available.

For example, towers that can shoot around corners or be placed on walls would make for interesting builds for levels taking place inside, but probably not as much for larger outdoor areas.  New/More elemental options make the idea of combining status effects more interesting.

On 3/7/2019 at 1:33 PM, Jaws_420 said:

Elevation specific defenses

I liked how the bowling ball turret worked on stairs.  I could appreciate more towers interacting with the physics engine like that.

• Like 1

now that i think more about my previous idea, i kinda want an Earthshatter tower that launches enemies into the air but the higher the damage, the higher they fly. i would like to launch these enemies into space lol jk but i would like to see them fly really high if your tower stats are beast

• Like 3

1 hour ago, super_slayan said:

i would like to launch these enemies into space lol jk but i would like to see them fly really high if your tower stats are beast

TFW mobs got 10000 health, and my beasty EST can do 9999, while others can only do 100, took me an hour for that mob with 1HP left to fall back down xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hmmm, what if we have some complicated tower combos is we have specific passives inserted?

Like two rampart-like towers when put at a certain radius near each other, a node-like shield beam appears between them. Essentially making the ramparts a tower and blockades. Or connecting three towers facing opposite direction resulting in a blockade-like spinning flamethrower towers , should be stronger than a training dummy as it has the might a three towers and a full-fledged blockade.

Another type of defense could be - 

A giant totem blockade (bigger than an obelisk) that is a gateway/spawn point for different kinds of spiritual or energy being to emerge and battle the enemies. Each type of totem spawns different enemies so putting different totem together and also with other defenses should be interesting.

Just some fun ideas!

• Like 3

Read it once, all I'm seeing are excellent ideas and so much fun. 

Read it twice, I think I'm seeing 50 potential bugs there from CG.   LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Maybe different type of Monk Auras ? Exemple : [Active mod: Monk Bubbles damage/affect the ennemies for 40dmg/sec when they are in the affected area] [Passive mod: When ennemies goes in auras they get electrified for 10sec and they are getting slower]

Those are just exemples but if we take it further with every characters, you could have a harpoon shooting one big arrow doing 100dmg or 3 little one doing 25dmg each.
And I really think those choice should be make only when you are creating your character, otherwise it will be too much..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JeezLord said:

Maybe different type of Monk Auras ? Exemple : [Active mod: Monk Bubbles damage/affect the ennemies for 40dmg/sec when they are in the affected area] [Passive mod: When ennemies goes in auras they get electrified for 10sec and they are getting slower]

Those are just exemples but if we take it further with every characters, you could have a harpoon shooting one big arrow doing 100dmg or 3 little one doing 25dmg each.
And I really think those choice should be make only when you are creating your character, otherwise it will be too much..

Great ideas. Be cool if everything projectile in the game had the same shot options as the Apprentice and Huntress. Single fire, spread, patterns, etc...

• Like 1

I always thought a phasing character would be good. One that can select two points for his turrets. One of his powers can be switching the layout from the first layout to the second. This will give more power and lane coverage with fewer turrets at the cost of leaving others possibly less defended at intervals.

Example: You have 4 turrets to place and 4 lanes. You know one turret in each lane isn't enough power, so instead of placing 1 in each, you put 2 in two of the lanes. and place their second points in the empty lanes. When the wave starts, you keep an eye on the enemies and if the empty lanes become over populated, you can then switch all 4 turrets to their second placements (an later back) at the cost of mana, removing them from the other lanes and placing them in the new ones.

It will mean having to focus on two layouts instead of one, and keeping an eye on the timing.

It could either be inherant to all their turrets, so they place the first point, then the second, or they can have a power to link a turret to the phase and choose a second point with it.

I like the idea that they cannot fight either, but have an ability that phases targeted creatures back along their paths for a set period, before they come back to their last position. Effectivley meaning your attacks are pushing them back to the turrets.

• Like 1

Dunno if this is the place to talk about it, but how about updates to current towers? Specifically towers that need a buff to stand out late game (DD1 Level 100 Nightmare)

• Magic Missile Tower: Added homing attribute to missiles. - Instead of having a fast firing tower with slow moving projectiles missing their target 95% of the time, you can have just that but all projectiles homing toward the target, and if the target dies the missiles will find another target close by.
  • Fireball Tower: Increased projectile speed to match the Harpoon Tower. - They're honestly too slow, but too powerful to have homing. Increased projectile speed can help it perform much better. Why have extraordinary range if you can't successfully hit your target before they get closer?
  • Cannonball Tower: Balls explode after a while instead of crumbling, dealing area of effect fire damage. - Allow the Cannonball Tower to deal better damage to grounded targets as it can not deal with airborne targets. Harpoons will still be a better option in most situations, but there are some good choke spots where Cannonball Towers can shine with the added explosive damage.
  • Slice 'n' Dice: Increased damage, spin-up speed and health, decreased DU from 8 to 6, suffers loss in spin speed if hitting too many enemies at once. - It's an interesting blockade, however it's barely used due to the DU cost, and the fact that Minions outclass all squire blockades. I'm not sure how Minions will be handled in DD:A, but let's pretend they're out of the picture. Spike Blockade is good as a general wall, Bounce Blockade is good for damaging and knocking enemies back, Slice 'n' Dice is good for a large wall and damaging nearby enemies. With the changes I've suggested, Slice 'n' Dice can do much more, for less DU, and be more effective for single target DPS, with the downside of losing DPS the more enemies are taking damage due to the amount of body parts the blades have to cut through. In the end, it doesn't really matter due to how superior the EV walls are, but I think there will be some situations, similarly to the Cannonball Tower, that the Slice 'n' Dice blockade will shine.
  • Proton Beam: Places an additional node, each node acting as a corner to form a shape (damage-zone.) Each node after the first 3 will require an additional defense unit to a maximum of 6 nodes. - Instead of trip wires, you can shape your own death-zones, constantly zapping enemies that walk through it. All nodes require a line of sight and can not be too far away from their neighboring node. You can build further away the higher than range stat.
  • Shock Beam: Places an additional node (same info as Proton Beam), Increased lightning damage (half the damage of Ethereal Spike Trap with appropriate detonation speed), shocks to all enemies will decrease it's movement and act speed by 20% for a few seconds, can no longer stun enemies and can not hurt airborne enemies - I'm treating this as a combination of the Etherial Spike Trap and the Ensnare Aura strictly for ground enemies. It can deal great damage to a group of enemies and hinder their movement and act speeds, which can be beneficial for blockade survival. Shock Beams in it's current state (DD1) are very underwhelming and never used in late game builds. I also don't like the idea of stun-locking mobs so I completely removed that.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Great ideas. I like messing with the existing towers some so that DDA stands somewhat apart from DD1 and not just be a HD clone. 

I'd love if barriers got relooked at in overall implementation. HP values, def stat, and even unique def passives. Something to help protect against ranged enemies is badly needed. I'd love to see the shape of a barrier change with each upgrade, and ideally get bigger. In my mind, i am envisioning like flaps thar would deploy from the sides ir something all transformers/lego going on...

I am not a fan of attacking barriers either, as DD2 had several. While i love the concept, design, and break from other def sets, in the end the ascension point system basically made you choose one or the other, so they were never really great at either. DD1 didn't have that issue. Apprentice barrier, i always thought it was the worst in the game. It was always almost all squire builds in my DD1 experience. I'd love to have something other than spiked blockades and bumpers for the first 80 some hours of the new game. 

I would love to see some of the elemental combos make their way to DDA. I'm not sure in what form, from gear passives, to natural tower affinity, or however CG introduces variety to layouts. If we get gender swaps, maybe they can at least have mirror defs, but with different elements or something unique about their version. 

Edited by Jaws_420
  • Like 1

A portal tower- 2 part tower that includes an entry  portal that other towers/hero can shot into and an exit tower that the shot comes out of

• Like 2

On 6/2/2019 at 11:45 AM, interval said:

A portal tower- 2 part tower that includes an entry  portal that other towers/hero can shot into and an exit tower that the shot comes out of

or better yet, all that you said but also being able to melee through it too and also walk through it to appear from the other portal

• Like 2

can see so many strat with that! ultimate turtle build. 

can close to doubling the duration of dps for damaging tower. deserve to b  top on the list. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, super_slayan said:

or better yet, all that you said but also being able to melee through it too and also walk through it to appear from the other portal

I think everything should work threw it auras, even the player think how well that would help solo players being able to teleport to areas of the map instead of having to run only to find the crystal destroyed  

• Like 2

Starcraft had something like this. Zerg i believe, Nadal Canal or something. Build one in 2 different places, and basically you have your own private wormhole to send units through. 

In DD2, with how anti-DPS units and mutators cause you to have to completely babysit lanes, a portal/wormhole would be AMAZING! Especially on LT and Drakkenfrost.

For DDA, units are likely not move as fast as in DD2 (monk on cloud, GW flies, Dryad hovers, Barb leaps) so a way to cover more ground quickly is a very appealing idea... I'm in!