MadArkael

Backed, and excited, however...

Reading over these forums especially in suggestions, it would seem we have a lot of the same feedback DD2 got that made it, well, DD2.

You hooked me by saying you were going back to your roots. I know you're using a lot of the same assets and what not from dd1, which I'm happy for. Please, please. strive to make the first game better, not a jumbled combination of the two games. This is not to say there aren't aspects that cant be borrowed from its 'successor' just don't lose that roots focus.

QoL was mentioned, endgame gear has always been hard to come by and grind for (loot whores for life) Maybe having the option to view items in more of a sortable table where we can digest the data much faster would be called for. (Maybe not have such a restricting number of items we can have in the forge? Or potentially do a 'PoE' and allow people to support your game by purchasing item storage in large amounts)

A customizable filter than marks items on the ground. Like the thumbs filter from DDE where you can prioritize stats/potential stats with upgrades. You could even go simpler, and have "Display Items with summed DPS stats above ___" - "Display Items with summed Tower stats above ___" And also do the same for the character ability stats, 1 and 2. Borrow the include upgrade checkbox from DDE so it becomes "Items with potential summed stats" - My reasoning here is more gameplay/less sorting and picking up trash that you have to go through later.

LT's - I love them so much, hence why this next point hurts to say: Their current state in DD1 allows people like me with scrub gear to solo Moonbase survival. They need a tuning (sorry LT fans)

Event Items. Ok, events are engaging and cool, maybe limit the items from them to top tier gear thats achievable via normal means, BUT with a real unique aesthetic? Some of the event items floating in dd1 are cheaty and broken.

I saw this mentioned in another thread, I will reiterate: The rate of progression in the game is very chaotic. You have to know what maps to do to break through tiers, and it kind of becomes gimicky, rather than "Ok, I've completed Insane HC, Now onto nightmare! Oh I was defeated, but before I died several items dropped that may not benefit me this time, but are at a quality that if rolled correctly would be an upgrade" - So we don't have to resort to 'gimicky' throne room farming, for instance. Another point that includes in this is: Every map should have the chance (no matter how small) to drop gear that would allow the person attempting the map to potentially do it eventually with enough persistence. Think tavern defence on insane HC. You need high quality NM gear to do this, and the drops from the monsters are utter trash, they in no way shape or form are even close to what you would need to complete the map. I'm not asking for easy mode, just want to be able to progress (slowly) with perseverance if I stick it out. 

This is already longer than I had planned - Appreciate those who made it this far. I've wanted a DD style game and kept a look for years. I spent some time in dd2, supported it a bit, it just isn't even the same game. Looking forward to where this goes!

• Like 1

I think it's more important that people actually send in feedback AFTER the closed beta launches. That is the most important part for devops and update on-the-go.

• Like 1

Judging from your post I'm getting the impression you want DDA to be more closer to DD1 than DD2 which is fair enough but even though DD2 wasn't as successful as DD1 there is a lot of improved features in DD2 that I love to see in DD1.

"QoL was mentioned, endgame gear has always been hard to come by and grind for (loot whores for life) Maybe having the option to view items in more of a sortable table where we can digest the data much faster would be called for. (Maybe not have such a restricting number of items we can have in the forge? Or potentially do a 'PoE' and allow people to support your game by purchasing item storage in large amounts)"

I think splitting the info table into 2 sheets would help like 1 hero stats and the other tower stats.

"I saw this mentioned in another thread, I will reiterate: The rate of progression in the game is very chaotic. You have to know what maps to do to break through tiers, and it kind of becomes gimicky, rather than "Ok, I've completed Insane HC, Now onto nightmare! Oh I was defeated, but before I died several items dropped that may not benefit me this time, but are at a quality that if rolled correctly would be an upgrade" - So we don't have to resort to 'gimicky' throne room farming, for instance. Another point that includes in this is: Every map should have the chance (no matter how small) to drop gear that would allow the person attempting the map to potentially do it eventually with enough persistence. Think tavern defence on insane HC. You need high quality NM gear to do this, and the drops from the monsters are utter trash, they in no way shape or form are even close to what you would need to complete the map. I'm not asking for easy mode, just want to be able to progress (slowly) with perseverance if I stick it out."

DD2 had a good form of progression. The stats were simple yeah, just 2 hero armor and health for gear and Hero damage, health or Ability but each loot that dropped was a steady increase in level. So say you was in Chaos 1, after a good few maps the gear dropping would be Max C1 gear.

5 hours ago, el genius said:

I think it's more important that people actually send in feedback AFTER the closed beta launches. That is the most important part for devops and update on-the-go.

My 'feedback' as you're referring to it, is more of a cautionary tale from playing DD1. Just airing my worries that this will become a bland mixture of the two games.

The rest was suggestion.

3 minutes ago, Martin Arcainess said:

Judging from your post I'm getting the impression you want DDA to be more closer to DD1 than DD2 which is fair enough but even though DD2 wasn't as successful as DD1 there is a lot of improved features in DD2 that I love to see in DD1.

I agree that there are some elements from DD2 that can be adapted for sure. - I like having instanced loot. When I build a map on DD1 I'd rather not have to worry about someone ganking the stuff that drops.

4 minutes ago, Martin Arcainess said:

DD2 had a good form of progression. The stats were simple yeah, just 2 hero armor and health for gear and Hero damage, health or Ability but each loot that dropped was a steady increase in level. So say you was in Chaos 1, after a good few maps the gear dropping would be Max C1 gear.

I find DD2s forced progression very uninspired. You get this power of item to drop and now the game allows this power of item to drop, I'd rather work for my oldschool action rpg farming just like DD1. In DD1's current state, there's an unbalance with 3/4 of the maps. Almost all of them don't drop gear that could potentially help you do them. Which is why I made the point I did. I'm not asking for handouts (DD2s system is a gimme system, too easy) I want to earn it.

DD1 maps had a definite range things could drop in. There was no bumping of item power because you just looted the previous item power. DD2's system really takes the farming aspect out of it (at least getting to c7) and just makes it like walking up stairs, which I find, again, uninspired.

5 minutes ago, MadArkael said:

I agree that there are some elements from DD2 that can be adapted for sure. - I like having instanced loot. When I build a map on DD1 I'd rather not have to worry about someone ganking the stuff that drops.

I find DD2s forced progression very uninspired. You get this power of item to drop and now the game allows this power of item to drop, I'd rather work for my oldschool action rpg farming just like DD1. In DD1's current state, there's an unbalance with 3/4 of the maps. Almost all of them don't drop gear that could potentially help you do them. Which is why I made the point I did. I'm not asking for handouts (DD2s system is a gimme system, too easy) I want to earn it.

DD1 maps had a definite range things could drop in. There was no bumping of item power because you just looted the previous item power. DD2's system really takes the farming aspect out of it (at least getting to c7) and just makes it like walking up stairs, which I find, again, uninspired.

I know what you mean. I never really feel like the Loot in DD2 was like, OH heck yeah this drop is awesome! It's Legendary, it's got all the stats I wanted. that was another thing as well, Legendary gear was just a tier anyone could reach.

But yeah some maps where better to farm in DD1 then others.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Martin Arcainess said:

I know what you mean. I never really feel like the Loot in DD2 was like, OH heck yeah this drop is awesome! It's Legendary, it's got all the stats I wanted. that was another thing as well, Legendary gear was just a tier anyone could reach.

But yeah some maps where better to farm in DD1 then others.

Exactly! Nail on the head my friend.

There is no better feeling when hours of farming pays off with an item that drops with exactly the stats you were looking for. DD1's style of item stats were more specific and had much greater range in which they could roll, which made this feeling even greater. I don't like the negative stat values that exist everywhere on DD1 items, but there was a system in place that worked on the maps that you could farm.

• Like 1

All of this constructive feedback is great.  As long as people are staying level-headed, we love to read through what people want and expect from DD:A.  

We want to build this game for the players, so it's essential that these considerations are built into our design process.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, MadArkael said:

Exactly! Nail on the head my friend.

There is no better feeling when hours of farming pays off with an item that drops with exactly the stats you were looking for. DD1's style of item stats were more specific and had much greater range in which they could roll, which made this feeling even greater. I don't like the negative stat values that exist everywhere on DD1 items, but there was a system in place that worked on the maps that you could farm.

While I do prefer DD2 over DD1 currently due to a lot of the Quality of Life changes, I will say that loot in DD2 is less rewarding.  Farming DD1 on specific maps for unique weapons, pets, or accessories is something that DD2 was very lacking.  I do like the changes DD2 made to gear customization giving more options though.  It isn't just the same builds across the board like you'd see in DD1.

When I last played, everyone in DD1 used Auras, Traps, Buff Beam and EV walls, and Minions.  If you used anything else you weren't running efficiently.  This was prior to the CDT patches though and it may have changed.  Even with that, what gear do you go for?  Ones with max tower stats for builders and max hero stats for DPS.  There isn't much variety beyond that.

3 hours ago, gotrunks712 said:

While I do prefer DD2 over DD1 currently due to a lot of the Quality of Life changes, I will say that loot in DD2 is less rewarding.  Farming DD1 on specific maps for unique weapons, pets, or accessories is something that DD2 was very lacking.  I do like the changes DD2 made to gear customization giving more options though.  It isn't just the same builds across the board like you'd see in DD1.

When I last played, everyone in DD1 used Auras, Traps, Buff Beam and EV walls, and Minions.  If you used anything else you weren't running efficiently.  This was prior to the CDT patches though and it may have changed.  Even with that, what gear do you go for?  Ones with max tower stats for builders and max hero stats for DPS.  There isn't much variety beyond that.

I do agree that meta was meta in DD1. You had to have an EV, you had to have a summoner. before changes to LT's occured the maps I was able to accomplish had some variety between apprentice and squire towers, but that's it. if you're not using a buff beam, you're not doing it right.

I think, as far as the summoner goes, the summoners summon units went away in dd2 to make it not required (I know the character has a different name). I agree that there should be some variance in what can be used to complete a map, I just don't have any good suggestions on tower design to make that possible.

I do like being able to customize gear to an extent. Just not DD2's gear. It was overly simplistic. I'm open to a lot of things here, but I prefer details. You can have whatever stats/called whatever names for our characters, but some sort of info panel detailing exactly a tower stats (hp/dmg/fire rate/effective dps) and how they're affected by either a different piece of gear you're considering, or some sort of flat change, so we can make informed decisions, and more accurately discern soft caps on the fly. - Anyway went on a small tangent there. If there was no change to DD1s gear system, I'd love to be able to swap 2 stats on an item around. IE swap the hero dmg value with the ability 2 value, and only once per item. Maybe throw in that information about how it affects tower stats in a popup before hitting accept on the changes. I know that might be more convoluted that we're looking for, so i guess being able to swap the modifiers of two stats with each other one time per piece of gear would be fine, and we'd figure out what was best eventually after making mistakes.

Is that what you meant by gear customization?

I agree with you on gear uniqueness, besides prioritizing what hero stat, or what tower stat you were looking for. Gear had to be a certain way to be good, so there was very little variety.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elandrian said:

All of this constructive feedback is great.  As long as people are staying level-headed, we love to read through what people want and expect from DD:A.  

We want to build this game for the players, so it's essential that these considerations are built into our design process.

Appreciated. We look forward to helping you (and by help I mean play :classic_biggrin:) during the closed beta. With the amount of hours a lot of us have in the original DD1, you guys definitely deserve our support.

While on the subject of gear (and potentially on the subject of leveling) I know one thing I hated about DD1 was having to play through the game everytime I wanted a new hero for my roster. If I needed each hero to be able to build all the defenses then I had to run through the game for each one, level them up to wear the gear, get gear that fit the defense I wanted to use (which could mean needing more than one hero for building if I wanted to do a specific defense with one stat short such as a small dmg aura but huge healing aura) then once completed I needed to make more heroes to dps with, level them up, get gear for them etc etc.

If we can find a way to specifically build (gear) heroes without needing 300 heroes and gear for each that would be super uber fantastic.

2 minutes ago, Exglint said:

While on the subject of gear (and potentially on the subject of leveling) I know one thing I hated about DD1 was having to play through the game everytime I wanted a new hero for my roster. If I needed each hero to be able to build all the defenses then I had to run through the game for each one, level them up to wear the gear, get gear that fit the defense I wanted to use (which could mean needing more than one hero for building if I wanted to do a specific defense with one stat short such as a small dmg aura but huge healing aura) then once completed I needed to make more heroes to dps with, level them up, get gear for them etc etc.

If we can find a way to specifically build (gear) heroes without needing 300 heroes and gear for each that would be super uber fantastic.

I actually enjoyed having to level each character.  It added to the RPG realism for me.  Finally getting to level XX and being able to equip YY were some of my best memories.  In fact, many of us kept characters at lower levels just for fun and a challenge.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, russman said:

I actually enjoyed having to level each character.  It added to the RPG realism for me.  Finally getting to level XX and being able to equip YY were some of my best memories.  In fact, many of us kept characters at lower levels just for fun and a challenge.

Which is great and adds a lot of replay ability.....when you dont have a life

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Exglint said:

Which is great and adds a lot of replay ability.....when you dont have a life

I might say its a little bit of a grind, but having a 'player level' that all your chars scales to also, seems like you didn't work for the benefits each character brings to the table. I honestly don't know how I feel about it either way.

3 minutes ago, MadArkael said:

I might say its a little bit of a grind, but having a 'player level' that all your chars scales to also, seems like you didn't work for the benefits each character brings to the table. I honestly don't know how I feel about it either way.

I wouldnt say you didnt work for it but even in DD1 that was true in a way.

Take your high level heroes into a map that can easily be done, build it out, swap to new hero, hit G...................hit G.................hit G.................hit G................hit G

I think the point is made :P It wasnt very engaging and the DD2 players are battling something of a similar nature of playing in an area of the game that isn't engaging to be able to play in an area that is. To make them have to do that again is going to trigger something similar to PTSD where they see it and just drop the game prior to doing it so they dont waste time on another game trying to extend its playtime, which will result in a smaller playerbase than we could have.

39 minutes ago, Exglint said:

Which is great and adds a lot of replay ability

Agreed.  Part of why I've been playing the game off and on for 8 years.  Lots of fun and replayability in there.

54 minutes ago, russman said:

I actually felt the same way.  I enjoyed leveling new heroes and playing through old content.  Extended the life of DD1 for me while I played it.

Posted (edited)

Crazy to see people I remember from the good 'ol DD2 days still championing on for this franchise.

Anyways, only thing stopping me from wanting to back the 5,000 tier is that, there just isn't too much being offered for a substantial amount of money. 10,000$ tier is laughable and honestly, I want design space not meet the developers. I'd only like to meet Josh (old time community manager), however I've only backed one other successful kick-starter, and at 1,000$ (AUD) i am able to design like 5 things, npc, missions.. etc.

Fix up the tiers and you'll probably have more people wanting to spend thousands on this beloved franchise.

Edited by Sinistar

The one and only thing I disliked about PoE was the purchasable inventory space and unique inventory pages for specific items like currency, divination cards and essence. These should be available to the player from the get-go. DD:A isn't going to have MTX anyway so it's not something we have to worry about. However, bringing up supportive ways to fund the continued development of DD:A is great, but inventory space is a big deal to a lot of people. Everything else you talked about I completely agree on, even the effectiveness of Lightning Towers endgame. Minions should be talked about too due to how they affected newer maps being added to the game in terms of overall defense units, and the fact that there's no reason not to use them but are necessary for endgame maps.