Dreizehn

My personal FAQ about DDA

Thank you very much for your detailed answers. Yes, your answers help a lot. :gohi:

7MDN.gif

(Of course it is too early to talk about DLCs, I just wanted to mention that I think it would be totally fair if additional heroes would come with DLCs just like they did at DD1.)

21 hours ago, NotMau said:

You can't really compare a timer in battle phase with a timer in build phase. Those are two complete different things.

Besides that it is a difficulty boost. It's not restrictive since you can build in the combat phase but slower. Since you have to continue building in combat phase means you have less focus on enemies. Therefor the difficulty increases.

The timer for the build phase just meant to me that I started the build phase on an easier difficulty, set my defenses, memorized the order and repeated it on nm difficulty. Actually it did not seem like any additional difficulty but an additional chore to me. Well... I understand taste is very different here. Maybe some people might be lucky if they would add this option next to hc and mm? 

(The missing build timer was my most enjoyed feature at DD2. ^^ Suddenly I could relax while playing. If it wasn't for the afk timer... ^^ )

About King's Game (thanks @gnollmar for mentioning this) ... I don't think my efficiency was that bad. My runs happened when KG was rather new and maps like moonbase or Tinkerer's Lap did not exist. It was extremely rare to get stats higher than 4k back then and I did a Jester Build + Summoner build. Therefore I had to start on wave 1 every time. Sometimes we had to pause it overnight (which brings me to the afk timer again - so it is not really off topic now ^^) and continued the next day. All in all it was a lot of fun.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dreizehn said:

(The missing build timer was my most enjoyed feature at DD2. ^^ Suddenly I could relax while playing. If it wasn't for the afk timer... ^^ )

i completely agree and second that 

• Like 1

I ( and many other DD1 players ) definitely like the build timers for the harder modes.  It adds to the challenge and the fun.  I even think it would be interesting to reward players for fast building (seconds left on the timer add a little boost to loot quality).  Similarly, I think unused DU should play a small factor in boosting loot quality.  

• Like 1

Build timers only really matter when you are first entering maps/have low enough stats to need many towers unless the timer itself is significantly low enough to actually restrict build options. (See ToL in DD1) At the point that DD1 has reached, build timers very rarely matter due to the low complexity of DST/LT builds. On a side note, let's keep tower stacking around. ツ

Build timers are also not much fun when placing towers in PS4 when you can not move the camera to assess where you are aiming if it's anything like DD2.

Once you planned a build on low difficulty and then copied it over to higher difficulty so it was mainly muscle memory after a point on DD1 - didn't really add a lot to the difficulty especially in teams.

I'd be against build timers personally especially if I'm playing solo or co-op with friends, as long as there is some sort of anti AFK mechanism so you don't get leeches or people taking too long to ready up in online multiplayer. 

Also free movement of the camera whilst building please 😉 on consoles. 

• Like 1

Yeah, i would also love a top-down view that showed paths, towers, and tower range. Traditional TD view.

• Like 1

Funny how the timers thing comes up in just about any thread and since this will be a FAQ thread I decided to just ask here.

Over the years of being a gamer I have sometimes wanted to do something on a harder difficulty or something that is just harder to others. This is something I didn't require any ingame rewards for because the reward was the accomplishment of the task itself. Why not just add an option to add a timer to phases rather than forcing it down players throats? It won't need any additional loot or quality of loot or could just have an achievement for players who do it.

For everyone though, lets not get too attached to your games. They want to use the games as a basis but not the games themselves, we need to look forward into possibilities and not get stuck in the past. If they make DDA exactly like one of the two games then we will be stuck with the playerbase of one of those two. We should be looking at ways to combine the playerbase to make it even larger than both. In a way this is going to be like a marriage, compromise will be the name of the game or it will all end in a divorce and no one will be happy.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Martin Arcainess said:

I can not begin to tell you guys/gals how many times Ive fallen off the edge of cliffs placing Towers.

OMG, right?!?! Sooooooo many times.... And on Mastery no death stages too, grrrrr. 

2 hours ago, Exglint said:

Funny how the timers thing comes up in just about any thread and since this will be a FAQ thread I decided to just ask here.

Over the years of being a gamer I have sometimes wanted to do something on a harder difficulty or something that is just harder to others. This is something I didn't require any ingame rewards for because the reward was the accomplishment of the task itself. Why not just add an option to add a timer to phases rather than forcing it down players throats? It won't need any additional loot or quality of loot or could just have an achievement for players who do it.

For everyone though, lets not get too attached to your games. They want to use the games as a basis but not the games themselves, we need to look forward into possibilities and not get stuck in the past. If they make DDA exactly like one of the two games then we will be stuck with the playerbase of one of those two. We should be looking at ways to combine the playerbase to make it even larger than both. In a way this is going to be like a marriage, compromise will be the name of the game or it will all end in a divorce and no one will be happy.

I so agree. But that takes self-control, and that is in very short supply these days. I have often brought up in the past on these forums about things that you could simply did away with if you just...did not use it. It has been meant with harsh backlash each time i tried that route. So from that i have learned - there is no self-control out there. if there is a cheat to be used - it will get used, and then they will complain about it.  "facepalm"

Edited by Jaws_420

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, gnollmar said:

Lost eternia Shards, usually called the shards dlc's. You ... really havent played dd1 when it was at top like at all, have you? Timeout .. thats just insulting, it was longer waves and more drops, you would run around killing ogres, repairing defences, while at the same time hunting for the best loot. 

Get off your high horse. For what it's worth (and I know it isn't much), I've got 1770hrs logged in DD1 and have been playing since Summit was the final map, and Insane was the hardest difficulty. Might not have been fully geared to get to the final waves of survival at the time, but regardless, I'm almost 100% sure there was still a Mob Despawn timer even in the earliest days of DD1, because mobs used to (and still do) get stuck in impossible-to-reach locations, meaning you'd literally be stuck forever on a wave if they didn't eventually despawn.

"A full survival would take multiple days" --> The primary reason why I thought you might have been talking about DD2 was because survivals on the early DD1 maps capped at Wave 25. I knew DD2 had Endless Onslaught Mode, and figured there was a chance you could have been referring to that. I'll readily admit that I should have known you were talking DD1 when you said Shards, but for some reason last night, I was thinking "shards" were the things in DD2 that you earned when you leveled a character to max and then, re-rolled them back to level 1. I apologize for misreading what you wrote there.

Overall still sticking to my argument against the claim that survivals took "...multiple days" though because I'm a stubborn bastard =P lol. They took a very long time (easily a full morning / night with a full group, maxing out the Mob Count), but that was on the scale of hours, not days. I feel pretty confident that everything said above is correct, but please correct me if I've said anything above that isn't true.

Edited by g_cracka88

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Exglint said:

This is a great point, thank you for this! Challenges that are self-imposed, rather than game-imposed, can be just as fun -- even if they aren't incentivized by an in-game reward.

• Example: Used to use Apprentice towers as my main damaging towers whenever possible, even when it made more sense to use a Squire Harpoon in the days when that was one of (if not the) most powerful tower in the game.

Granted, I wasn't doing it to impose a challenge on myself ; I was just doing it because I really liked the Apprentice, but I think the concept is similar regardless!

Edited by g_cracka88
  • Like 1