Dreizehn

My personal FAQ about DDA

Your reveal about DDA was rather surprising to me and to be honest at first I just thought I have supported DD2 for nothing because now it's gonna be scrapped.

At first sight, the kickstarter looks to me as if this will be a DD1 reboot with better graphics and new UI. Reading the description helped me over this first impression and I have started to think about questions I'd like to ask you. I think some of those might be interesting to others as well. Maybe some can be used as an inspiration - and maybe some can be a help for your kickstarter FAQ site.

It would be great if you could answer some of the questions. (I'm realistic - I don't think you want to reveal all of this at once)

Yes, I am one of those wo like DD1 more than DD2 but I have to say that DD2 also has features I totally prefer over DD2. (eg. hero swap, no build timer, no mana chests)

• At your kickstarter page you have mentioned the forge is in our pocket. Does that mean we will be able to access the inventory from everywhere like we did in DD2?
  • Will you use DD2's hero swap feature and will we be able to swap heroes during combat phase?
  • Will we have mana nodes like in DD2 or do we have to open chests for mana in DDA?
  • Will there be an AFK timer?
  • Will there be costumes and tower skins?
  • Do you want to use a build timer like in DD1 after certain difficulties or keep the more relaxed build mode from DD2?
  • Since there was a bit of a demand at DD2 for implementing pets like we had in DD1: Will you reintroduce DD1's pets?
  • Will there be shards and mods?
  • Can we expect some of DD2's shards (skills)? Stunning and boom servos are awesome. (and would make great animations possible in DDA)
  • Do you wanna keep DD2's item reroll system, change it or even trash it?
  • Will it be possible to keep and evolve our weapons and armor like we can do it in DD?
  • Will you use maps from DD1 and DD2 or only DD1?
  • DD2's subcores limited some lanes (like Dragonfall Bazaar or the two sewer maps) so there was no possibility to make a build that was really fun. Will you use subcores in DDA again? If yes, will you change it so the problem's with DD2's map/lane limitation won't be repeated?
  • Will there be DD2's heroes?
  • Will even more heroes come? (Man and Machine, etc.)
  • How will Hero leveling work? Do you want to keep DD2's system or will the players level each hero separately like we did at DD1?
  • Do you intend do keep the idea of ascension levels or will the hero be maxed out at a specific level?
  • At your kickstarter page we can see that enemies react to traps (being thrown through the air) and harpoons (being pinned to the wall) in a creative and more detailed way that we know it from DD1. Any chance you can give us some more examples at present?
  • Do you want to keep defenses' speed/dmg/range rather civil or will we be able to obtain stats similar to DD1? (especially aura size and harpoon speed)
  • Will I be able to give items to other players?
  • On Twitter I have seen you have mentioned that you wanna bring back local gameplay. Will it be able to use our local game-heroes online too or do we have to restart from scratch if we decide to play online after a while?
  • Since DD1 had a lot of problems with hacked gear where even innocent players could be banned because they have traded gear without knowing it was hacked and DD2 was advertised not to have these problems because it is 100 % server sided: How will these problems be prevented with DDA if we can play local too?
  • How do you intend to handle online features like group/party, kick/ignore? At DD1 one player had full control while control was shared at DD2. Both systems can be abused and led to a lot of discussion in the past. What is your focus here?
  • Thanks 1

I'll go through and do a quick answer for each of these, though there's a decent amount that there's not an answer we're ready to put out yet, and everything answered here is more or less subject to change (doesn't mean it will, most likely won't):

• Inventory accessible wherever you are during build phase, or in your tavern.

• N/A

• N/A

• For online multiplayer, potentially.

• No microtransactions.

• Exploring options.

• Pets in DDA like in DD1 is the plan.

• Not currently planned

• See above

• N/A

• If it’s in DD1, it’ll most likely be in DD:A.

• N/A

• N/A

• N/A

• N/A

• N/A

• N/A

• No

• Like DD1, better understanding of stats.

• N/A

• N/A

• We have plans on eradicating this. Examples like Monster Hunter and even what the CDT guys have implemented are similar to our plans.

• N/A

• Like 3

hmm, afk timer, pause button, quicksave. Dungeon defenders needs to be casual, you need to be able to leave your computer for some hours, come back and continue. I remember my most fun in dd1 was hunting for giraffe, took me multiple days, then losing connection or something made me lose everything. In dd2 you had to use macros to avoid the antiafk timers, which is painfull in a game like this.

• Like 1

Yeah, if there is an endless mode of any kind (and i really really really hope that their is) than an AFK timer is a bad thing. Hate to build up to like wave 65, then get booted because you had to go to the bathroom, or you know - eat eventually. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Jaws_420 said:

Yeah, if there is an endless mode of any kind (and i really really really hope that their is) than an AFK timer is a bad thing. Hate to build up to like wave 65, then get booted because you had to go to the bathroom, or you know - eat eventually. 

Exactly this. Afk timer shouldn't be a thing. If the host is annoyed of someone afking they should just manually kick them.

Besides that I think timers in between waves should be a thing. It increases the difficulty level.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If its anything like dd1 i doubt you can go higher than like wave 40 on survival for anything. spending more than an hour or so on a map was never intended on dd1 and im pretty sure that this will also not happen in dda. just reading that you can hit wave 65 on anything just made my stomach drop. 

Edited by Bonnabelle
typo lmao

Just now, Bonnabelle said:

If its anything like dd1 i doubt you can go higher than like wave 40 on survival for anything. spending more than an hour on a map was never intended on dd1 and im pretty sure that this will also not happen in dda. just reading that you can hit wave 65 on anything just made my stomach drop. 

Actually it is possible but indeed I doubt this will happen often.

• Like 1

Thank you for the answers. 

2 hours ago, gnollmar said:

hmm, afk timer, pause button, quicksave. Dungeon defenders needs to be casual, you need to be able to leave your computer for some hours, come back and continue. I remember my most fun in dd1 was hunting for giraffe, took me multiple days, then losing connection or something made me lose everything. In dd2 you had to use macros to avoid the antiafk timers, which is painfull in a game like this.

Last sunday we have lost our winning streak on DD2 because we had to cook and missed to jump during build phase. ^^

24 minutes ago, NotMau said:

Actually it is possible but indeed I doubt this will happen often.

King's Game survival on nightmare took us about 5 hours. That was a pain. I am one of the minority who liked how the survival worked at DDE. One straight hour without a break or build phase in between was really brutal.

• Like 1

if kings game survival took around 5 hours you might not have had the stats to do it efficiently. once you hit 4k stats you should be able to do kings game in like an hour and a half with a good build. As far as im aware you cant go higher than wave 40 on dd1. people manage to farm moonbase nm hc with like 5k stats in an hour and a half using a really good build. its hard to get far in dd1 playing solo or without other people. if you have friends or are in the ddrng discord, im pretty sure you can hit end game and do all the maps within a few weeks with other peoples help. i know that me playing solo i wasnt able to beat tinkers lab on nmhc but thats cuz i didnt know what was good or not

2 hours ago, NotMau said:

Exactly this. Afk timer shouldn't be a thing. If the host is annoyed of someone afking they should just manually kick them.

Besides that I think timers in between waves should be a thing. It increases the difficulty level.

meh hmmm meh, I think the main difficulty should be coming from the fight itself not from a limited build time.  That feels more restrictive then adding "Difficulty" I want to see how my Towers fair in strength not based on a timer. If people want timers in build phase why not battle phase too?

4 minutes ago, CatDogBunny said:

Pls no shards, i hate them

I loved the idea of Shards in DD2 and the aquring of shards wasn't so bad until gilded came into play. What did you hate about shards?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Martin Arcainess said:

meh hmmm meh, I think the main difficulty should be coming from the fight itself not from a limited build time.  That feels more restrictive then adding "Difficulty" I want to see how my Towers fair in strength not based on a timer. If people want timers in build phase why not battle phase too?

You can't really compare a timer in battle phase with a timer in build phase. Those are two complete different things.

Besides that it is a difficulty boost. It's not restrictive since you can build in the combat phase but slower. Since you have to continue building in combat phase means you have less focus on enemies. Therefor the difficulty increases.

1 minute ago, NotMau said:

You can't really compare a timer in battle phase with a timer in build phase. Those are two complete different things.

Besides that it is a difficulty boost. It's not restrictive since you can build in the combat phase but slower. Since you have to continue building in combat phase means you have less focus on enemies. Therefor the difficulty increases.

Each to there own I suppose, I mean less build time isn't difficult to mean. it just means the battle phase will start sooner as for the combat phase that has it's own form as you need to clear out enemies before a certain time limit or you fail, so there's the difficulty in that.

There are quite a few things you could add/change to reflect a form of difficulty, then again difficulty itself is subjected so I don't there is a 100% correct answer to what is considered "Difficult"

1 hour ago, Martin Arcainess said:

I loved the idea of Shards in DD2 and the aquring of shards wasn't so bad until gilded came into play. What did you hate about shards?

Maybe it is just dd2 and this confusing ui and maybe if they are redisigned they are good but when they are like in dd2 i just dont like them and i cant tell exactly why

Just have to say that I was debating about pledging more to the kickstarter, but the answers to some of these questions have tipped the scale to "No."  Being told that this will be a copy-paste of DD1 isn't exactly what I'm hoping for.  I guess I will wait and see what a lot of the "N/A"'s mean from Lawlta's post.

Ooo ooo ooo!  I'll answer!

Have faith in us, @gotrunks712 -chan!

giphy.gif

• At your kickstarter page you have mentioned the forge is in our pocket. Does that mean we will be able to access the inventory from everywhere like we did in DD2?

We’re still discussing the specifics of this, but yes, our goal is to reduce the barriers to getting to the fun parts of gameplay, and we didn’t think running back and forth to the forge for item and hero management was a good time.

• Will you use DD2's hero swap feature and will we be able to swap heroes during combat phase?

This is something we’re still discussing amongst the design team.  I don’t think hero swapping in combat phase will return, but we do want to make it more efficient to do build phase without having to run back and forth and switch characters… so we’ll see.

• Will we have mana nodes like in DD2 or do we have to open chests for mana in DDA?

We want mana acquisition to be easier than having to run around and gather every chest like in DD1.

• Will there be an AFK timer?

This is something we’ll still be discussing.  We want people to be able to step away/pause their gameplay if they’re alone, but maybe there will be one in online play to prevent leechers.  It’s still an active discussion.

• Will there be costumes and tower skins?

Costumes definitely, but in the same vein as DD1.  So a DD2-esque costume shop won’t be returning, but there will definitely be cosmetic outfits for heroes.

• Do you want to use a build timer like in DD1 after certain difficulties or keep the more relaxed build mode from DD2?

This is something that we’re still discussing as a design team.  I feel like the build timer was nice in some game modes, so I’m sure we’ll have some sort of gameplay that has more limited time build phases for added challenge.

• Since there was a bit of a demand at DD2 for implementing pets like we had in DD1: Will you reintroduce DD1's pets?

DD:A will have a similar pet system to DD1.

• Will there be shards and mods?

We have no plans for Shards and Mods at this time.  We did enjoy the options they gave you though, so we'll be creating new ways that loot will be more interesting and let you have more control over your loadout.

• Can we expect some of DD2's shards (skills)? Stunning and boom servos are awesome. (and would make great animations possible in DDA)

We want the loot game to be interesting and engaging, so we’ll have some nice surprises when it comes to loot.

• Do you wanna keep DD2's item reroll system, change it or even trash it?

We like the additional control that players have over their stats and setups in DD2, so we’ve been discussing ways that we can accomplish that with DD:A.

• Will it be possible to keep and evolve our weapons and armor like we can do it in DD?

This is something that I’d like to do in some form or another.  One example would be the pet you get from the Kickstarter campaign.  My goal with that would be to let you level it up/evolve it and maintain its usefulness throughout the game’s progression.

• Will you use maps from DD1 and DD2 or only DD1?

We’ll be talking a little more about maps in the near future, some of it has story implications… but we plan on using content that’s available to us from DD1 and DD2 as a jumpstart to building content for DD:A.  We also want to do all-new content as well!

• DD2's subcores limited some lanes (like Dragonfall Bazaar or the two sewer maps) so there was no possibility to make a build that was really fun. Will you use subcores in DDA again? If yes, will you change it so the problem's with DD2's map/lane limitation won't be repeated?

I’m not sure sub-cores will be returning in DD:A.  We didn’t find that they resonated with a lot of players in DD2, but we haven’t made the final decision on that for DD:A just yet.  However, I don’t think they’ll be returning.

• Will there be DD2's heroes?

Without giving TOO much away, there might be some returning characters...

• Will even more heroes come? (Man and Machine, etc.)

This is something that I would like to do.  Unreal Engine 4’s tools actually make hero creation much easier for us than in DD2.  The successful Kickstarter campaign will help our ability to add more content/new heroes, etc. for the base game.  But they’re also on the table to be included for eventual DLC packs as well.

• How will Hero leveling work? Do you want to keep DD2's system or will the players level each hero separately like we did at DD1?

This is still in the design phase.  We’re taking and planning out what we enjoyed from both games and building a new system from that.

• Do you intend do keep the idea of ascension levels or will the hero be maxed out at a specific level?

Again, this is also still in design.  We’re having discussions about how the progression systems will work in DD:A as we begin to build our base stat systems and enemy scaling right now.

• At your kickstarter page we can see that enemies react to traps (being thrown through the air) and harpoons (being pinned to the wall) in a creative and more detailed way that we know it from DD1. Any chance you can give us some more examples at present?

One thing we’ve been toying with, is the idea of “pinball enemies” where the physics can allow enemies to bounce between bouncer blockades or off walls and you can create unique and interesting death traps of bumbling enemies with different combinations of towers.  The end result will be determined by our technical and optimization limitations, but we’re trying to do awesome stuff!

• Do you want to keep defenses' speed/dmg/range rather civil or will we be able to obtain stats similar to DD1? (especially aura size and harpoon speed)

We want defense to feel awesome, ridiculous, and powerful.  That’s our goal with gaining strength in DD:A.  We’ll have some interesting statistical interactions, but we’re still having those design discussions.

• Will I be able to give items to other players? 

We’d like trading and exchanging items in some format in DD:A, but we’re trying to figure out a better way of executing that, that would be less exploitable.  We’ve had some issues with duplication and whatnot in DD2, and even our hacked stats from DD1, so we’re trying to take our learnings from that as we move forward.

• On Twitter I have seen you have mentioned that you wanna bring back local gameplay. Will it be able to use our local game-heroes online too or do we have to restart from scratch if we decide to play online after a while?

This is something we’re trying to figure out how it would work with online play.  We want people to be progressing on characters whenever/wherever they can play, in online and offline, so we’re going to see how much freedom we can give there.

• Since DD1 had a lot of problems with hacked gear where even innocent players could be banned because they have traded gear without knowing it was hacked and DD2 was advertised not to have these problems because it is 100 % server sided: How will these problems be prevented with DDA if we can play local too?

We’re exploring solutions for this right now as a team, and there’s some options, but we have some good plans for preventing hacked/cheated stats and gear in online play.

• How do you intend to handle online features like group/party, kick/ignore? At DD1 one player had full control while control was shared at DD2. Both systems can be abused and led to a lot of discussion in the past. What is your focus here?

In DD:A, we plan to use client to client multiplayer connections, so since you’re hosting the session, the host will most likely get full control.

I hope that answers those questions a little bit better!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

For those saying dd1 is 1 hour on survival: this is with overpowered loot and with the game made easier to avoid the problem of disconnects on long games. A full survival would take multiple days pre-shards, back when dd1 was in its peak. I remember my first giraffe, was on magus, took me 3 days, was so much fun! Though, thedisconnects etcthat could happen randomly was a pain.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Elandrian said:

Ooo ooo ooo!  I'll answer!

Have faith in us, @gotrunks712 -chan!

I hope that answers those questions a little bit better!

You're not making this easier on my wallet @Elandrian

Edited by gotrunks712
Tag

1 hour ago, gnollmar said:

For those saying dd1 is 1 hour on survival: this is with overpowered loot and with the game made easier to avoid the problem of disconnects on long games. A full survival would take multiple days pre-shards, back when dd1 was in its peak. I remember my first giraffe, was on magus, took me 3 days, was so much fun! Though, thedisconnects etcthat could happen randomly was a pain.

"A full survival would take multiple days pre-shards, back when dd1 was in its peak" → Are you sure you mean DD1 survival? DD1 never implemented any kind of "shards" feature, and enemies simply time-out and die after a certain point, so there's no possible way that a survival could take you that long, unless you purposely sat idle in between waves, in which case, it would only be taking a long time because nothing was happening...

9 hours ago, g_cracka88 said:

"A full survival would take multiple days pre-shards, back when dd1 was in its peak" → Are you sure you mean DD1 survival? DD1 never implemented any kind of "shards" feature, and enemies simply time-out and die after a certain point, so there's no possible way that a survival could take you that long, unless you purposely sat idle in between waves, in which case, it would only be taking a long time because nothing was happening...

Lost eternia Shards, usually called the shards dlc's. You ... really havent played dd1 when it was at top like at all, have you? Timeout .. thats just insulting, it was longer waves and more drops, you would run around killing ogres, repairing defences, while at the same time hunting for the best loot. 

• Like 2

I still got Questions

* Do u wanna use the Set System from DD1?

*Survival will also have a comeback? With Pet´s as a Reward like in the Old Days?

That´s all for now maybe later i get some more Questions.

• Like 1