Paloverde zfogshooterz

Game structural Improvements suggestions (2019 edition)

Posted (edited)

Hey there Defenders and Chromatic! 

I did create a suggestion on improvements back in 2018. Now with the new changes, it's time to write an updated version of it. It's basically a suggestion on how DD2 can be at least a complete game. I know Chromatic has plans for DD2 so we'll see how it goes. As updates rolls by I'll try to update this to fit those future states.

So yeah, here we go! 

Early-Game (Optional)

Adventures - I think some adventures should be back in acts again. For The Bling King - Maldonis - The Harbinger. Then the rest can be optional. Because it can be weird to play Isle of Dread before playing The Harbinger as you can possibly get confused with the storyline. Also it need more dialog. Feels dead without it.

MID-GAME (Optional)

Expeditions & Incursions (Expedi Part 1)  - I think it would be better to just merge these gamemode together like one regular and one harder alternate battleground if there aren't any plans for incursions. It can still be called Expeditions just but with the incursions option included. It would be really nice to be able to play both Incursions & regular in full difficulty. And if it's possible, maybe buff some of the weak incursion into something challenging too?

Ancient Power & Onslaught  - This suggestions would be similar to one that I have suggested but this time, I would like to improve on it.

So the suggestion is that Onslaught being it's own world where there's you play that gamemode where to make your main progression stronger. So when you create a hero, you have a choice for one to be either an "Onslaught Defender" or a "Heroic Defender". Onslaught defenders can only be used in Onslaught. Also Onslaught will provide unique gear that only Onslaught Defenders is able to use. That means when you invoke Ancient Power only gears and shards if the Onslaught defenders will reset. This allows you do push ancient power and if you do get bored of that you can play the other stuffs if you don't feel like playing it. Also this also encourages more usage of hero slots as we do want more reasons to use our cosmetics!

To avoid the exploit of swapping upgraded shards un-upgraded shards after a reset, if you put an upgraded shard in an Onslaught hero, it will be de-upgraded. 

However, overall asc will still be reset one ancient power is invoked, post-Isle of Dread asc bonus measurements is quite good and a decent trade-offs.

ENDGAME (Something that I really want)

I'm sure we all want something for all the power that we've grinded and farmed for to use on. 

Expeditions & Endgame (Expedi part 2) - I don't think we need any more power creep in progression. C8 gear is high enough already. Except for Onslaught, we don't actually have a "Hard" or "Insane" difficulty where it isn't gear progression difficulty. So I think subsequent difficulties should be actual difficulty. And it should be a new experience too. So here my rough idea of how Expedition Endgame could be - 

Two new difficulties - Nightmare & Annihilation. There won't be gated tiers like I to VII as they are just what it is - pure difficulty. And I think this is a good time to bring portals back and also no hard counters/chaos enemies included.

So basically, here's what I imagine for Nightmare

That fight at Greystone Plaza is just epic! The spread out swarm of flyers! Wow! And without the Chaos Enemies, I'm literally feeling the roots and essence of NM4 there, I want endgame to capture this! The burning direness! I want to fight those piranha carriers! That being a flyer lane boss would be sick! Make it epic! With portals, things would sure have some twist! (Am I sounding hysterical?)

As for Annihilation, looking at Corrupted Gunwitch gave me some ideas! There is still portals and the enemies being corrupted with eldritch/old ones stuff and also having new and interesting powers! This is also where the final ultimate boss fight will be! This is where the ultimate defenders of Etheria face the returning old one's power!

And....having this as an endgame's combat phase music would just be AWESOME - 

Onslaught & Endgame -

(1) I really love this gamemode being the mash-up of all the other enemies, so I think to really complete the gamemode, all the rest of the enemies like forest poachers, spooky heroes, Maldonis should be added in and possibly more mutators too.

(2) I think the floors that after C7 floors should have another difficulty symbol as those are definitely higher than C7 difficulty. An idea could be from 64 onward, those floors could be known as Omega difficulty as that's where Omega Wave starts.

(3) I still think the Drakenlord version of Drakenfrost Keep should be removed from onslaught but replaced with a different and modified version of The Wyvern Den Betsy boss level. Since Onslaught are echoes of past battles, I totally don't mind Betsy being in there now! (I take back what I said about betsy shouldn't be in onslaught)

(4) Spider Boss Suggestion from That Solar for some uncommon endgame levels.

Every 50 there would be the new boss, the Spider Queen! This boss would climb all over its arena which is a unique new map. It could summon smaller spiders! Would give special spider weapons and, possibly, a new cool spider pet with new abilities! The legs of this spider would be its weakspot, and if you hot them with a blade it would deal even more damage! One of the exotic weapons you would get would be ''Spider's Fang'', an bow that was used to be sold by the blacksmith, but is now unobtainable.

The story could be this - "The Spider Queen has returned! And she has managed to breach into the Realm of Onslaught looking to make a nest of spiders! The Heroes will have use their wits and power to wipe this menace of the realm!"

I just thought that this would make Onslaught Stand out more as an unique gamemode from expeditions (that has Nightmare & Annihilation) having more unique challenges and all.

In conclusion, I think with this features DD2 would have a proper progression instead of just playing random content. So here how the progression story sums up - 

After playing and experiencing the story at Campaign & Adventures, We hit the Phase called Chaos Trials as The Knight Commander sends the heroes on Expeditions while the Mananode also sends sends the heroes to the realm of onslaughts to attain power and prepare themselves which is where we grind Chaos tiered Expeditions, Onslaught & Mastery and also Ancient Power. Once they are ready, they will now be able to face the full might of the retuning old one(s) and the Harbinger at Endgame!

With this, I think we have DD2 at least as a complete game that we deserve (is it alright to say that?) :) I know these suggestion might take heavily development time but I don't want DD2 to not have a decent conclusion. It has great potential here. If the others can't be done, I hope at least aspects of the Endgame suggestion is possible. I feel that it captures the essence of the DD2 that I fell in love with back then.

Of course, with now Trendy being Chromatic game and no longer answer to any externals, I am also sorta excited to see the new direction the game is going to go with the plans they are having.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed this suggestion! Please! Let me know of your thoughts here, defenders & hopefully devs too! :)

Cheers!

Edited by Paloverde zfogshooterz
  • Like 3

Great ideas. Really wish Nightmare difficulty would come. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Okie! I've added a new suggestion which is the third section in Endgame's Onslaught and Endgame. The original idea was from @ThatSolar but I did some tweaking to it.

UPDATE - I've untweaked ThatSolar's Spider Boss suggestion to back to a near original state to adjust for adding the Betsy suggestion for Onslaught.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Great suggestions!

The removal of the lane freezing dragon and brazzier lighting mechanic from onslaught is what I'm most passionate about. The addition of that mechanic was the 3rd and final hit to AP grind making resets more annoying yet again. They shouldn't have done that imho.

Edited by oxbowdvcorlone
  • Like 3

On 3/9/2019 at 8:33 AM, Paloverde zfogshooterz said:

UPDATE - I've untweaked ThatSolar's Spider Boss suggestion to back to a near original state to adjust for adding the Betsy suggestion for Onslaught.

i have never understood why in DD2 we never see Betsy or Harbinger on anything past campaign... I would love to play these on the chaos tiers. DD2 needs some big team boss battles that re not just miniboss lanes. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Jaws_420 said:

i have never understood why in DD2 we never see Betsy or Harbinger on anything past campaign... I would love to play these on the chaos tiers. DD2 needs some big team boss battles that re not just miniboss lanes. 

It used to...before Chaos Trials came in. Imagine seeing - Defense Mode, Nightmare IV - The Wyvern's Den or Defense Mode, Nightmare IV - Harbinger's Warship back in War Table back then!

:gobshades:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paloverde zfogshooterz said:

It used to...before Chaos Trials came in. Imagine seeing - Defense Mode, Nightmare IV - The Wyvern's Den or Defense Mode, Nightmare IV - Harbinger's Warship back in War Table back then!

I would have loved to give that a try. I miss big boss battles that are a challenge. 

• Like 1

the difficulty is dead for this game,chaos 1-7 are for farming mats to prepare for onslaught so yeah if you want difficulty go do floors.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Zombina said:

the difficulty is dead for this game,chaos 1-7 are for farming mats to prepare for onslaught so yeah if you want difficulty go do floors.

I am doing floors. Climbing Onslaught right now. However, that content can only be exciting for so long. There are occasions where I get really tired of all the special enemies (including those from incursions).

Which is why I would really like go back to some roots like Nightmare which is also one of the aspect that I fell in love with this game. Of course with the gear system we have now, that difficulty might seems lame. Which is also why I suggested twist like the (removed) portals from campaign (during launch period), assault flyers waves and those Piranha Airships a.k.a. a flyer mini-boss. (both as seen in the Trailer above).

I mean it would be really nice to have variety in Endgame. High Onslaught floors for all your Chaos needs while Nightmare & Annihilation provides for those who liked it the Old (One's) fashion way :)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Paloverde zfogshooterz said:

I mean it would be really nice to have variety in Endgame. High Onslaught floors for all your Chaos needs while Nightmare & Annihilation provides for those who liked it the Old (One's) fashion way :)

I want EVERYTHING! yeah there can nv be too much variety. Having some more modes will keep it interesting and fresh. (and we really need some good rewards for end game mode, by "good" I mean "rewardingly special and good", I don't wanna spend an hour to beat Betsy and drop me a C7 6/10 I can get from expedition farm, even rare drop rate will give motivation)

Edited by hailminion
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Paloverde zfogshooterz said:

I am doing floors. Climbing Onslaught right now. However, that content can only be exciting for so long. There are occasions where I get really tired of all the special enemies (including those from incursions).

Which is why I would really like go back to some roots like Nightmare which is also one of the aspect that I fell in love with this game. Of course with the gear system we have now, that difficulty might seems lame. Which is also why I suggested twist like the (removed) portals from campaign (during launch period), assault flyers waves and those Piranha Airships a.k.a. a flyer mini-boss. (both as seen in the Trailer above).

Nightmare in the current state of the game would be impossible with all the players laying arround with high ascension ( 2400+) and all the stuff C8 and full 10/10 mods .

A lot of new plyers don't even understand the game right now (they don't chek steam guides at their disposal,DD2 discord , Youtube videos etc) .... They just jump right in the game no shard etc thinking they can go to c7 like that (it work for some) but wha i'm saying is that it's just gonn be more difficult for them and they're just gonna give up .

again like I said,if you want difficulty,push floors . Onslaught is there for that . you might be floor 100+ but everyone can't have what you have right now . That's why C1-C7 is good for farm gears,mods,shards (Prepare yourself for the true challenge : High Onslaught).

If nightmare come back then it gonna make the grinding very hard and a lot of players who are already having issues to play the game now,will just get tired of playing and leave .

So yeah your idea might be a pure intention but what I see from it is just gonna make some people rage . Personally I agree with you but I don't think that would be a good idea to put it back because we must think about what others might want as well (Aka Easy farm but Hard endgame or Hard beginning and hard end game?)

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Zombina said:

snip

I'm not too familiar with DD1 nightmare, it sounds like a farming mode but higher difficulty? from your description. 

I'm not entirely sure what I'm talking about, so please excuse me if this makes no sense.

This is what I had in mind when I heard new mode "nightmare", Is it possible that we keep the farming mode as is, but just introduce nightmare as an extra end game content besides the existing onslaught? Maybe a place to give you flairs, weapon skins, even rides in town, or those "super weapon which are being brought back", etc.

Sort of like Mastery but with Expedition concept and drops to make it replayable? (rarity drop would correlate to difficulty) something along that line

Edited by hailminion
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zombina said:

Nightmare in the current state of the game would be impossible with all the players laying arround with high ascension ( 2400+) and all the stuff C8 and full 10/10 mods .

A lot of new plyers don't even understand the game right now (they don't chek steam guides at their disposal,DD2 discord , Youtube videos etc) .... They just jump right in the game no shard etc thinking they can go to c7 like that (it work for some) but wha i'm saying is that it's just gonn be more difficult for them and they're just gonna give up .

again like I said,if you want difficulty,push floors . Onslaught is there for that . you might be floor 100+ but everyone can't have what you have right now . That's why C1-C7 is good for farm gears,mods,shards (Prepare yourself for the true challenge : High Onslaught).

If nightmare come back then it gonna make the grinding very hard and a lot of players who are already having issues to play the game now,will just get tired of playing and leave .

So yeah your idea might be a pure intention but what I see from it is just gonna make some people rage . Personally I agree with you but I don't think that would be a good idea to put it back because we must think about what others might want as well (Aka Easy farm but Hard endgame or Hard beginning and hard end game?)

Not really, new players jumping in that mode isn't what I had in mind. I came up with these difficulties for the purposes of something else to do other than High Onslaught. And also something else to use all our amassed powers on which are those with high tiered gears. I know yes, go push floors but seriously, what are we going to do when we get sick of that gamemode? I am literally already tired of facing Dark Assassins, Cyborks, Kobolts, Frost Enemies, Yeti, Bastille Master and etc.

I hope you don't mind letting me know on how is it going to make people rage? How is it going to make the grind worse? I don't really get where you are coming from? I have not suggested any power creep. All the grind is at Chaos Expeditions & Onslaught. Again, the difficulties is something to use those stuffs that we grinded for on other than High Onslaught.

1 hour ago, hailminion said:

I'm not too familiar with DD1 nightmare, it sounds like a farming mode but higher difficulty? from your description. 

Well, we not exactly talking about DD1's Nightmare but DD2's Nightmare difficulty during Early Access before Chaos replaced it.

Here's how it works - Back in the days, just like Chaos there are tiers, but instead of seven tiers, Nightmare only had four. However, the main difference between both difficulties was that Nightmare didn't have the Seven Special Chaos enemies (Vanguards, Cyborks, Geodes etc.).

Stat-wise (just for the sake of a fun history lesson), Nightmare IV scales around with (Pre-Protean Shift) Chaos III. Not sure about Post-Protean Shift but it should be considerably lower than Chaos III now as stats have doubled by then. Simply put, a stat on a piece of gear have always been in 600s to 1000s and the Max Item Power (Ipwr) is 800 comparing to the Current 10k Gear Score. 

Hope this gives you an idea on how DD2 is back then. :)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Paloverde zfogshooterz said:

Not really, new players jumping in that mode isn't what I had in mind. I came up with these difficulties for the purposes of something else to do other than High Onslaught. And also something else to use all our amassed powers on which are those with high tiered gears. I know yes, go push floors but seriously, what are we going to do when we get sick of that gamemode? I am literally already tired of facing Dark Assassins, Cyborks, Kobolts, Frost Enemies, Yeti, Bastille Master and etc.

I hope you don't mind letting me know on how is it going to make people rage? How is it going to make the grind worse? I don't really get where you are coming from? I have not suggested any power creep. All the grind is at Chaos Expeditions & Onslaught. Again, the difficulties is something to use those stuffs that we grinded for on other than High Onslaught.

Oh make sense . Well people rage with assassins for example or cyborks . It's just a personal thing I noticed myself when playing with lot of players. Assassin and c5+ was the reason they left . I know assassins are one of the reason that make people ragequit,especially headstrong assassins in onslaught XD .

I wonder what your suggestion is about then because Onslaught is for progression . What else you wanna do? Onslaught is very hard,to reach floor 999 ith enemies 2B hp each just for the melee lanes,idk about the flying but 2B hp please ...

you want to make the game more enjoyable but how you can make it more enjoyable? Playing with friends isn't enough?

If we must have a new gamemode that gonna bring a challenge then thhey should make something like Onlsuahgt with hard ennemies but what about the  rewards? they must be worth the time spent  .

They will maybe add new bosses,maps,chaos tiers and a new mode but with the slow updates we're getting due to their new projects,what do you think is gonna happen to DD2?

Answer : Slow Updates. Yes I agree chaos 1-7 seems boring when you're at end game but a new game mode that make the game seems a bit less easy shouldn't be a thing in current chaos tiers . your  suggestion is worth thinking bout but what do you really want to add to the game?  (me too i miss nightmare mode,but onslaught literally kill everything right nw).

you made a good point so make me float,tell me ♥

Edited by Zombina

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Zombina said:

Oh make sense . Well people rage with assassins for example or cyborks . It's just a personal thing I noticed myself when playing with lot of players. Assassin and c5+ was the reason they left . I know assassins are one of the reason that make people ragequit,especially headstrong assassins in onslaught XD .

I wonder what your suggestion is about then because Onslaught is for progression . What else you wanna do? Onslaught is very hard,to reach floor 999 ith enemies 2B hp each just for the melee lanes,idk about the flying but 2B hp please ...

If we must have a new gamemode that gonna bring a challenge then thhey should make something like Onlsuahgt with hard ennemies but what about the  rewards? they must be worth the time spent  .

you made a good point so make me float,tell me ♥

Well, with the current content, there isn't really a conclusion. There isn't any final battle. What's the Harbinger plotting? What's he going to do when he returns? I'm not suggesting any new gamemode. Basically, I'm just suggesting adding two difficulties to Expeditions with a final boss fight. Chaos-free difficulties. No chaos enemies whatsoever, no incursion enemies either. Just Nightmare (aka no chaos or inc enemies) with portals, horde of flyers & a flying enemy mini-boss from flyer lanes. No hard counters (except Siege Roller) and assassins to worry about.

And Annihilation is where we fight stronger corrupted enemies with new powers (that isn't chaos or hard counters or incursion either). This is also where the final boss fight resides too which could be the returning Old One.

Here's how I think the progression would go with this ; Once we done campaign/adventures, we get sent into the "Chaos Trials" which is a phase where we grind Chaos Expeditions, Mastery, Onslaught & AP to prepare for the Harbinger's returning wrath which the endgame (Nightmare & Annihilation). Onslaught is basically a realm "of echoes from past battles" that the Gran'Ma found through the Isomicon (See Power of the Ancients Trailer). But the real threat isn't that. The Harbinger/The Old One is. That's where I'm coming from. Basically, the concluding fight before DDA.

As for reward, I'll see what Chromatic decides to do if they do want to roll with this.

you want to make the game more enjoyable but how you can make it more enjoyable? Playing with friends isn't enough?

Like you (I think? Since I saw you mention about this in other threads) I mostly play solo.

Anyway, Personally, I would enjoy the game more if I could have a mega break from Chaos Enemies, Incursion enemies and Onslaught. Which also why I suggested these two difficulty, I want a new experience that's NOT Chaos or Incursion or Onslaught. I don't even want to touch Mastery again either. 

They will maybe add new bosses,maps,chaos tiers and a new mode but with the slow updates we're getting due to their new projects,what do you think is gonna happen to DD2?

Answer : Slow Updates. Yes I agree chaos 1-7 seems boring when you're at end game but a new game mode that make the game seems a bit less easy shouldn't be a thing in current chaos tiers . your  suggestion is worth thinking bout but what do you really want to add to the game?  (me too i miss nightmare mode,but onslaught literally kill everything right nw).

Which why I want this more than ever. A satisfying concluding endgame. Where the main story of DD2 ends before the heroes travel back in time to the world of DDA.

Right now, it's just all progression and no conclusion. Like I said, We have not face the real threat yet which is the Harbinger or the Old One. We're just hanging out in the Realm of Onslaught.

Hopefully, this is enough to make you float. :) We're having a really good discussion here.

:juicy:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Paloverde zfogshooterz said:

Hopefully, this is enough to make you float. :) We're having a really good discussion here.

Yup you win,so basically you want a suite to the campaign with some new epic monsters/bosses like the old one. I doubt the harbinger comes back,we defeated him in the campaign .He was really tough,something like that with the old one should hapen but with modifiers like incursion to make the fight fair :D

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Zombina said:

Yup you win,so basically you want a suite to the campaign with some new epic monsters/bosses like the old one. I doubt the harbinger comes back,we defeated him in the campaign .He was really tough,something like that with the old one should hapen but with modifiers like incursion to make the fight fair :D

Yep, something like that! I would be really happy!

The Harbinger was indeed defeated in campaign, however, in the Isle of Dread adventure, the Harbinger returns to pick Captain Dreadbones up. Which means he has something in mind....It's also possible that the Harbinger sent him to awaken an Old One too in the first place!

And Hmmm....that got me thinking, yes! - Imagine a stronger and deadlier version of Dreadbones returns in Annihilation! All corrupted with eldritch slime, eyes and tentacles! Which is also how I imagined Annihilation to be - the Nightmare enemies have gone even more corrupted by the power of the Old One.

Still it would be really fun to battle the once Harbinger again in Nightmare. I also came up with Nightmare also as a free-play mode too where Annihilation is where all the concluding battle is. And of course we would have some twist like portals and maybe more new twist too! :)

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Paloverde zfogshooterz said:

Yep, something like that! I would be really happy!

The Harbinger was indeed defeated in campaign, however, in the Isle of Dread adventure, the Harbinger returns to pick Captain Dreadbones up. Which means he has something in mind....It's also possible that the Harbinger sent him to awaken an Old One too in the first place!

And Hmmm....that got me thinking, yes! - Imagine a stronger and deadlier version of Dreadbones returns in Annihilation! All corrupted with eldritch slime, eyes and tentacles! Which is also how I imagined Annihilation to be - the Nightmare enemies have gone even more corrupted by the power of the Old One.

Still it would be really fun to battle the once Harbinger again in Nightmare. I also came up with Nightmare also as a free-play mode too where Annihilation is where all the concluding battle is. And of course we would have some twist like portals and maybe more new twist too! :)

Sounds like something I wanna play :D

I hope they'll make it one day

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

since I know they got no time for that, and I really love what I'm reading for the past half an hour, I got the programming part all figured out for CG

Pull floor 100 stat for mobs, throw in a boss. Give a different outfit just combine the codes of Cannon and Assassin

pull floor 200 stat for mobs, throw in a boss. Give a different outfit just combine the codes of Captain and Gnash

pull floor 999 stat for mobs, throw in a boss. Use the outfit that we get with glitched mobs (semi-ghost appearance), and just combine the codes of Drakenlord and Roller

With ability to select difficulty like expedition. (10 total)

each difficulty leads to a reward. only 3 types of mobs. Gobu-legion. Range-gobu, melee-gobu, fly-gobu. 

And really, we don't even need to program the whole mode. Just code one difficulty every 2 weeks, and send out one by one. 

(if coding actually works the way I assumed LOL:juicy:)

Edited by hailminion
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, hailminion said:

-snip-

That seems very interesting there! Just gave me some new ideas for Annihilation!

• Corrupted Dreadbones could give the hero "shadowburn" debuffs which darkens your vision as in dark fogs clouding the screen. (Well since Gnash gives you the burning debuffs, a shadowburn seems to be a nice corrupted upgrade.) - (Dreadbones and Gnash with a minor upgrade.)
  • Corrupted Malthius could have a geode-like shield that does not reflect projectiles but boost enemies instead similar to boost aura. And the boost should be much more stronger than Cap Dreadbones. (Malthuis with a non-hard counter Geode feature with an upgrade)
  • Corrupted Cannon Ogre would be holding a drakin that's shaped as a cannon that fires like a drakin. Or the Corrupted Cannon Ogre legitly holding a Drakin like a cannon haha! (Cannon Ogre & Drakins)
  • Corrupted Tuskar acts just like the Dark Prophet (From Althar of the Athame inc), unleashing a line crystal shards when he hits the ground with his weapon. (Tuskar & Dark Prophet)

And for difficulty level for Nightmare & Annihilation - Imagine Wave 1 is floor 100 difficulty, Wave 2 is floor 250 difficulty, Wave 3 is floor 450 difficulty. Wave 4 is floor 650 Difficulty and Wave 5 is 850 difficulty and the 6th wave being the floor 999 difficulty?!

To prevent rage-quitting and possibly too much time being used with replays (if those scenarios are possible) due to the twist like portals/ assault waves and more stuffs. Maybe each wave ends with a victory and we will be given option to move on to the next wave or keep the reward and end the match? As each wave we survive, the reward gets better. Just an idea.

• Like 2