Martin Arcainess

What you want and don't want in DDA

1 hour ago, DarkDasher said:

I feel like we need lemons but no limes in DDA

I'm more of a lime person.  Maybe Lawlta can get in some fruit pizza with his promised pizza currency and throw some lime juice or something on there.

I want to gamble all my levels and equipment for a chance to beat the most punishing mode DD:A has to offer CG!

pJtdXsS.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Junbao said:

I want to gamble all my levels and equipment for a chance to beat the most punishing mode DD:A has to offer CG!

I haven't even begun to try Hardcore seriously in Terraria haha!

Still I would take this over Ancient Power!:classic_biggrin:

Just one thing, please, "for the love of all things holy", let there be no Dark Assassins!

Edited by Paloverde zfogshooterz
  • Like 3

My fellow defenders of the distant past were the absolute grinders. What I would like to see in DD:A is an RNG that motivates the player to chase perfection in ways that keeps the map playable again and again. The RNG I enjoyed the most was from the original Dungeon Defenders. During this time, Apprentice fans were farming daily for the "must have" staff and pet from a punishing new map Ramparts and it's corresponding challenge map Death From Above (8yrs. ago). Perfection not only measured in stats, but size as well. For your consideration my fellow Apprentice fans, this will bring back fond memories of your past.

20121031222443.jpg

20121031222046.jpg

• Like 5

SUBTITLEs for the hard of hearing and deaf players.  I am a deaf player and I want optional subtitles included for all dialog please!  

• Like 5

I'm hoping we get survival back and that's it's worthwhile again unlike it was in DD2.

Also hoping pets are good again. Pets in DD2 are borderline worthless and it sucks that what was essentially a core gameplay element/grinding motivation from DD1 was turned into something not even worth putting effort into in DD2. 

• Like 3

What I want:

-Dryad playable, my favorite DD2 character. (If not I'm maining huntress I guess.)

-Multiple game modes, DD1 had a nice variety of game modes. Like the no building/hero only mode, or the play as the enemy mode. As well as challenge modes and mastery mode.

-Have a nice inventory management system, user interface,  the vault (bankspace)

-Unsure on what's best for stats. I guess the current dd2 simplified stats are ok. Just dont make it too complicated (or too water-down) I guess.

- I like being able to level up gear, and MOD it. The re-rolls are nice too. Being able to pick the gear you like and make it viable is pretty cool.

-If player shops remain, try to lead the economy, so people dont set ridiculous prices. Maybe have npc's rotate useful gear/MODs and materials.

-Allow element combinations and defenses to interact together. Pretty cool for strategies.  I remember when the shock aura +water geyser + skyguard set up was a thing. That was fun for a while.

-Make pets relevant again

Don't want:

-Get rid of resets please (DD2 ancient power). It is deflating to start over and regrind money and materials again for a small buff each time.

-No currency, shards, or items ingame buyable with real $. (Microtransactions)

-I dont want characters to be behind a paywall. Either unlock them during the campaign or at the start of the game.

-Maybe not a valid complaint. But I didnt like needing duplicate characters for specializing in 1 defense at a time.

• Like 3

On 3/7/2019 at 4:23 PM, Kobalobasileus said:

+Steam Workshop support.

Absolutely.  Mods really help extend the life of a game and allow new things to be made without taking the time and energy away from whatever the devs are working on.

On 3/23/2019 at 7:01 PM, darksoulz33 said:

-I dont want characters to be behind a paywall. Either unlock them during the campaign or at the start of the game.

Even DD1 had DLC characters.  I think most people would agree that any characters that are ready to play when the game releases should be free, but if they want to make a new hero after release, I don't see a problem with charging a little extra for it (as long as it's not a crazy OP hero that becomes required for any build).

On the topic of DLC, I did appreciate how DD1 released it for free for 2 weeks (at least for most of them).  Would absolutely approve of that model if DLC is going to happen.

On 3/23/2019 at 7:01 PM, darksoulz33 said:

-Maybe not a valid complaint. But I didnt like needing duplicate characters for specializing in 1 defense at a time.

Agree.  I could maybe see an argument for having a hero-version and tower-version of any given hero (mostly because that's what I did when the gender-swaps released).

• Like 2

Want - Auction house, put your items in for a fee, another fee if you want to pull them back out. available for anyone to buy if your online or not. collect your money from auctioneer when it sells.

Dont want - Sneaky lady orcs 1 shotting the crystal, or any mob for that matter...

Hello fellow defenders in not going to post a story so just short and sweet.  I want the armor like dd1 had dd2 armor was to hard to make good set easily. 

Hmmm

Wants

1. Stay as true to the original DD as possible (music, currency, everything, etc.)

2. Ability too look up and down full 90 degrees

3. More graphics options (resolutions, AA, AF, framerates upto 144 (see borderlands 2) etc.)

4. Well coded for PC (low CPU/GPU overhead) using gobs of ram is ok though :)

5. Enough carry on mana to do two 3-star tower upgrades at max level

6. Item box capacity of 1000

7. Item box check mark ability to lock, drop, sell.  Example, check off 245 items and sell all in 1 click

8. Most of the additions to DD post ver 7.5x

9. Revert gear to default - ex lvl up wep or armor, then have ability to reset to lvl 1 like a respec ability - even if there is a cost to do so

10. Ability to level all toons simultaneously or individually

11. Color deficiency options (like borderlands 2 and other games)

12. Option to tone down tower effects (make more translucent or something)  EV walls, app towers etc. was almost seizure inducing in DD

DO NOT wants

1. look like fortnite

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This will probably make everyone hate me, but I don't want hero swapping in the game during the waves. I loved the whole aspect of you have x amount of time to setup your defences. Now you use this hero for that wave. Maybe I'm a masochist but I loved that challenge. I spent easily, easily 5k+ hours on console. and numerous more on PC. 

But the only way I can explain this is I find the game gets way easier if you can just swap heroes at any time you want. I want personally for it to be back to DD1 way or to add a challange mode of sorts that limits you. I know many won't feel the same because everyone has their own play styles. But surley I'm not the only one?

Also the music keep that locked down from DD1 was fantastic.

Also 2.0 as much optimisation for PC as you can I never use to be able to run it on my PC so I always had to play console and when finally switched felt like playing catch up.

Edit: I forgot to say, maybe I only played it this way but going through the campaign starting on a low dofficulty and then reworking your way through a harder difficulty in the campaign order was a good sense of difficulty progression imo

Edited by Anitbus
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Anitbus said:

This will probably make everyone hate me, but I don't want hero swapping in the game during the waves. I loved the whole aspect of you have x amount of time to setup your defences. Now you use this hero for that wave. Maybe I'm a masochist but I loved that challenge. I spent easily, easily 5k+ hours on console. and numerous more on PC

But the only way I can explain this is I find the game gets way easier if you can just swap heroes at any time you want. I want personally for it to be back to DD1 way or to add a challange mode of sorts that limits you. I know many won't feel the same because everyone has their own play styles. But surley I'm not the only one?

I kinda liked this as well.  There were many times when I had to choose if upgrading/building was worth the risk of not getting to switch characters (most of which I tried to build and ended up stuck for that wave).

On the other hand, I could see the swap mechanic allowing for more intricate challenges, like having a boss that requires switching between range and close-up combat.  If they really want to keep it, I could go for it being removed in one of the harder difficulties or as a challenge mode like Mixed Mode was.  After all, the lower difficulties didn't have timers anyway so getting stuck as a builder wasn't really a thing.

2 hours ago, Batophobia said:

I kinda liked this as well.  There were many times when I had to choose if upgrading/building was worth the risk of not getting to switch characters (most of which I tried to build and ended up stuck for that wave).

On the other hand, I could see the swap mechanic allowing for more intricate challenges, like having a boss that requires switching between range and close-up combat.  If they really want to keep it, I could go for it being removed in one of the harder difficulties or as a challenge mode like Mixed Mode was.  After all, the lower difficulties didn't have timers anyway so getting stuck as a builder wasn't really a thing.

But the only problem with that is if the make a fight like that, they are then bottlenecking you into playing a specific way which was what the best thing about dd1 if you want to do squire only go ahead is it going to be harder sure but; 

Sense of pride and accomplishment

-ea

Couldn't resist lol. But you understand what I'm talking about. But I do believe that honestly was a part of dd1 magic 

14 hours ago, Anitbus said:

I loved the whole aspect of you have x amount of time to setup your defences. Now you use this hero for that wave. Maybe I'm a masochist but I loved that challenge.

I'm not sure I'd really call it a "challenge" considering neither timers nor being locked into a hero really did much to make DD1 more difficult outside of maybe your first play through of a map if you hadn't done it on a non-timed difficulty before.

Build timers are something I believe especially need to not return. They've historically added nothing to the game (only being relevant because of the massively drawn out time it took to summon minions in DD1) but as someone pointed out on here they can pretty much make the game impossible for people with disabilities. 

14 hours ago, Anitbus said:

But the only way I can explain this is I find the game gets way easier if you can just swap heroes at any time you want

That's something that pretty heavily depends on how the game is designed, imo. 

For instance with how DD2 is designed it's something that's almost pointless. It certainly doesn't make the game any easier. 

But if we're going back to having tons of different item effects, pet uses etc it's probably best to keep it out of DDA.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Build timers are not something I would want, as has been mentioned people with disabilities or mental health issues like OCD and anxiety are unfairly punished, This game is supposed to be a game built on strategy not a game on built on reaction times. Being able to hot swap heroes during combat phase if like DD2 and limited to 4 heroes would be fine any more than that is not needed. Depending on the enemies eg mini bosses then perhaps, but if like DD1 and just regular mobs until a boss wave then it is not needed at all imo.

Edited by dizzydiana
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, dizzydiana said:

Build timers are not something I would want, as has been mentioned people with disabilities or mental health issues like OCD and anxiety are unfairly punished

As someone with a physical disability I have pressed the wrong key many times in a row which is overly painful when you lose a portion of time you have for building. Even beyond that, streaming wasn't a huge thing back in the day or at all very early on in DD1's life so there is another portion to that decision now. How entertaining would it be to watch someone who is always paying attention to the game and not chat. During build phase I would have to build with my full attention, including any mistakes I make due to a disability, then during combat I would have to pay attention to enemies and defenses, like a tower that was going to fire at an enemy that died now has to go through it's fire time for the next enemy allowing them to get closer than anticipated. The only time that wouldn't be true is easy game modes or stuff that I generally stomp into the ground. So what timers actually do is not allow for any of the toughest content to be played on stream at all. This doesn't include any Twitch Integration they have planned which can make things much worse.

tl;dr - Disabilities, random events with enemies, and random people aren't something strategy can compensate for. Timers are uncaring and waste time ironically enough.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Tossing this out there.. personally, I’d like to see some kind of “paint” option for accessories and maybe weapons. 

The system i thought up would require you to sacrifice an item of the color you want to use for other items of the same name. For example, you have a yellow top hat and a black one. Yellow has better stats, but my personal preference would be a black colored hat.. under this idea, you could destroy the black hat or “sacrifice” it and gain the ability to paint any top hat that color. This process would only unlock that color for top hats - any other hat accessory would have to have your preferred color of itself sacrificed again, if that makes sense. 

Im probably the minority in enjoying color scheming so much.. might be a neat system though if there’s suppprt. I think this would be a somewhat easy  thing to implement even if not at first launch

Edited by UncrownedData
  • Like 3

Most of the gameplay related stuff i'd want to see has been covered, so i'll focus on other areas:

Accessibility options:  Such as options for hard of hearing, color blind players, and enhanced text options for folks with vision loss.

Parental mode:  allows us to set maximum playtime limits, disables voice form non-friends or hide all non canned text.  That is to say kids can see pre written text like 'build tower here' or 'need assistance' but don't see normal chat.  Prevents predators from being able to milk kids for information.

Remapable console controls:  pretty self explanatory.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

*Full Mod support, open/private play via Steam Workshop again

*More maps suitable for 2 player local co op (I only ever play this game with my wife but we played 1 hundreds of hours)

*more focus on the towers and strategy

*unlocked and variable frame rate support

*Unlocked aspect ratios and resolutions

*Color deficiency options

Edited by kajerlou1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mr_Antimatter said:

Most of the gameplay related stuff i'd want to see has been covered, so i'll focus on other areas:

Accessibility options:  Such as options for hard of hearing, color blind players, and enhanced text options for folks with vision loss.

Parental mode:  allows us to set maximum playtime limits, disables voice form non-friends or hide all non canned text.  That is to say kids can see pre written text like 'build tower here' or 'need assistance' but don't see normal chat.  Prevents predators from being able to milk kids for information.

Remapable console controls:  pretty self explanatory.

I also think some sort of communication wheel with most used phrases would help for people on consoles communicate easier. This was most apparent with DD2 trying to quickly tell other players things like "defend here", "I need help with this boss" etc usually results in constantly pinging and just hoping people will understand what you are trying to say. Having to try to send a message to players in your map always means leaving the game screen and typing something, hoping their privacy settings allow it and also hoping that nothing terrible happens during this process. Having a communication wheel also as you mentioned gives parents a way to limit what their children are exposed to. Many online games with varied ages have these sort of quick texts built in and I dont see any real reason why it cannot be implemented into DDA. 

• Like 5

On 4/8/2019 at 12:53 AM, UncrownedData said:

Tossing this out there.. personally, I’d like to see some kind of “paint” option for accessories and maybe weapons. 

I like the idea on this.  Some accessories have multiple colors, so it might be nice to be able to pick specific colors to keep.  For example, if you have a Yellow top hat with a White band and a Black top hat with a Blue band, you might want the end result of a Black hat with a White band.

On 4/7/2019 at 4:33 PM, Anitbus said:

But the only problem with that is if the make a fight like that, they are then bottlenecking you into playing a specific way

Not really.  It might make it more difficult, but nothing impossible.  I imagine it like the final dragon boss of DD1.  If ranged fighters could hit it while it flies to deal damage and melee fighters could hit it while landed.

• Like 1