SerpaCooper

ACCESS INVENTORY ANYWHERE

For some reason I have nostalgic feelings for the old school way by going back to the forge. I can live with accessing it everywhere but this is my opinion on it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sophisticus said:

This isn't a skill increase, this isn't more difficulty. This is being locked to play a game differently than how you would want to play it. This doesn't make the game harder unless you only play male heroes and don't use the skins / pets obviously. This isn't something that should come to DDA at all because that is a super trash system. You should be able to build and play freely, being locked to female characters isn't good for the game. 

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.  You aren't locked in to female builders.  I've only got one female builder.  I really enjoy the mechanics of bulding in DD1 and it just feels good and normal to head back to the forge to see your stuff or swap characters.  DD1 was more popular and I believe there were many reasons for that.  Was this one of them?  Perhaps...

Posted (edited)

https://steamcharts.com/app/236110 DD2 Steamcharts. 
https://steamcharts.com/app/65800 DD1 Steamcharts. Get your thumb outa your butt and actually look up some info before you keep making such broad and silly claims lol. DD1 is the better game we all agree on that, but there are QOL updates from DD2 that will make DDA a better game, and make it more Fluid overall when it comes to build, and combat phases.

Edited by Sophisticus
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sophisticus said:

https://steamcharts.com/app/65800 DD1 Steamcharts. Get your thumb outa your butt and actually look up some info before you keep making such broad and sill claims lol. DD1 is the better game we all aggree on that, but there are QOL updates from DD2 that will make DDA a better game, and make it more Fluid overall when it comes to build, and combat phases.

Going with the insults already, eh?  You aren't really reading much of these forums are you.  Read this article (which has been linked and quoted by several posters) and then come back and tell me that DD2 was a bigger hit and money maker than DD1.

https://www.gainesville.com/news/20190304/trendy-founder-takes-helm-rebrands-company-as-chromatic-games

A couple of quotes form the article in case you can't get to it:

Under Lye’s watch, “Dungeon Defenders” was at the top of its game. Within two weeks of its 2010 release the fantasy arcade-style game sold 250,000 copies. By the end of 2011 more than 600,000 copies had been purchased.

“Dungeon Defenders” became profitable enough that, in 2012, the private equity firm Insight Venture Partners invested $18.2 million for majority control of the company.

A subsequent edition, “Dungeon Defenders II,” did not prove nearly as successful as the original version, however, with production costs outstripping earnings.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Sophisticus said:

https://steamcharts.com/app/65800 DD1 Steamcharts. Get your thumb outa your butt and actually look up some info before you keep making such broad and sill claims lol. DD1 is the better game we all aggree on that, but there are QOL updates from DD2 that will make DDA a better game, and make it more Fluid overall when it comes to build, and combat phases.

Don't forget us DD2 Console players who don't play PC and Can't play DD1 , Best thing ever was when they got rid of mana chests.

Edited by uzar
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, uzar said:

Don't forget us DD2 Console players who don't play PC and Can't play DD1 , Best thing ever was when they got rid of mana chests.

Right? Consoles are like red-headed step-children around here sometimes. If i could still access DD1 online, i would still be playing it as well. I was so sad when that went offline. All those event weapons...sigh.....

6 minutes ago, Jaws_420 said:

Right? Consoles are like red-headed step-children around here sometimes. If i could still access DD1 online, i would still be playing it as well. I was so sad when that went offline. All those event weapons...sigh.....

I am in  3 or 4 different ps4 community groups that are pretty active and 1 has over 5.8k members and most people don't even join them.

Posted (edited)

Popularity /=/ earning Cx

After you got wrecked by data, that's all you can come back with?  DD1 sold more units, made more money and hit a higher all time peak player count on steam than DD2.  DD1 was more popular AND made lots more money.  Get back under the bridge or come back at me with some real data.  

Why do you think they are basing DD:A off of DD1 and not DD2?  Hmmmmm.....

Edited by russman
  • Like 2

Popularity /=/ earning Cx

You should dig deeper before making random statements. 

DD:A is mainly focussed on DD1. DD1 was the most succesful from the two. As you most likely didn’t check is that those Steamcharts you showed earlier are starting from 2013. DD1 had its peaks in the year 2011. And believe me they had an higher peak than DD2.

So just to be clear, everyone’s opinion is accepted out here but make sure you aren't randomly pointing things out without knowing the back story.

49 minutes ago, russman said:

After you got wrecked by data, that's all you can come back with.  DD1 sold more units, made more money and hit a higher all time peak player count on steam than DD2.  DD1 was more popular AND made lots more money.  Get back under the bridge or come back at me with some real data.  

Why do you think they are basing DD:A off of DD1 and not DD2?  Hmmmmm.....

This is comparing apples to oranges.  Comparing sales in a retail game with nothing in a F2P game just doesn't work.  There isn't a retail "sale" in DD2 that you can compare it with.  Yes the production cost of DD2 outweighed the income.  That doesn't mean that DD2 hasn't racked in more money than DD1.  The budget to make DD1 was likely miniscule in comparison to what it took to make DD2.

Posted (edited)

DD1 peaked at 21k.  DD2 peaked at 18k.  Those numbers aren't too far off.  They both had similar lifespans.

Edited by gotrunks712
Update

2 minutes ago, gotrunks712 said:

This is comparing apples to oranges.  Comparing sales in a retail game with nothing in a F2P game just doesn't work.  There isn't a retail "sale" in DD2 that you can compare it with.  Yes the production cost of DD2 outweighed the income.  That doesn't mean that DD2 hasn't racked in more money than DD1.  The budget to make DD1 was likely miniscule in comparison to what it took to make DD2.

You are right, a F2P game should have had a much higher peak player count since the entry bar is so low.  But it couldn't even do that.  <Shrug>

If DD1 sold 600K by the end of 2011, what do you think the final number was?  I didn't come in to the game until the end of 2012 so I'm guessing it was somewhere between 700K and 1M total.  Why do you think the investment firm was willing to sell their stake back to Lau?  Because it didn't pan out for them and they wanted out.  Which is good for us (well, at least the DD1 diehards).  

Luckily for all of us they're basing the game off the best of DD1 and DD2. So there will be bits from each game, mostly QOL updates from DD2 it sounds like and the content from dd1. Hopefully it all pans out and plays great, I don't believe there is a way to please both sides but we'll see. Hopefully they add the QOL tho 

3 minutes ago, gotrunks712 said:

That's actually false.  DD1 peaked at 12k.  DD2 peaked at 18k.  The concurrent player numbers for both games don't vary that much over time.  You have to realize that DD2 had a Pre-steam launch where it couldn't even be purchased on steam.  Then it had Early Access.  Then it went F2P.

I'm not saying DD2 was more popular overall, but you also need to confirm your own numbers prior to accusing others of not doing the same.

I'm not sure on all these various steam reporting websites and their various metrics but this is the one I used:

https://steamdb.info/graph/

Type Dungeon Defenders into the search box.

21.8K for DD1

18.8K for DD2

I've helped get alot of friends to go back and playthrough DD1 again recently with me and the main problem most of them have after returning from dd2 to dd1 was how bad the combat system is, the build phases are, and overall clunkiness of the system in dd1. But they got used to it and can play it, but they all agree DD2 had the stuff to make the game feel more fluid.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Either way, the majority of complaints that people have against DD2 arise because of the F2P model that influenced design decisions.  That in turn drew players away.  It would be a much better and more polished sequel to DD1 if you take out the microtransactions and implement those systems into progression.

11 minutes ago, russman said:

I'm not sure on all these various steam reporting websites and their various metrics but this is the one I used:

21.8K for DD1

18.8K for DD2

Yeah.  I edited my post before I read that and updated the numbers.  Steamcharts only went back to 2012, so I was searching for somewhere to confirm the actual numbers.  Changed it after you quoted though.

Edited by gotrunks712
Update

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, russman said:

21.8K for DD1

18.8K for DD2

I know why Steam Charts is different.  It's missing the first few months of DD1.  It launched for Windows in October of 2011 and steam charts doesn't show it until July 2012.  Not sure why.

Edited by russman