Posted (edited)

I have to say again, congratz on the rebranding and the new game Dungeon Defenders Awakening! But I just want to put my thoughts on DD2 at this state.

I'm slightly worried that this game will be eventually abandoned now that the focus will be on the new game. I really hope this isn't the case. I've put a lot of my soul in this game and have quite enjoyed it despite its flaws and also find this game have quite the potential too.

However, to be honest, now that I have read more of this, I am actually also quite excited with this too. Not really for the new game but of the direction of DD2 with the new rebranded company. Based on the article that AussieMark have showed, it seems that  DD2 has been under the control of someone else (I assume?) which now answers for why it's very different from DD1?

Anyway, this lead to a question I've been thinking - does this mean that DD2 will have a big change in terms of directions? To become a very fun game again? Now that the company is going back to it's roots?

So that sums up my thoughts for now! I had a blast with the game also interacting with the players and the collecting too! This game has been ingrained into my memory and I'll always will be supporting DD2! Cheers!

Edited by Paloverde zfogshooterz
  • Like 6

Taking a guess, Chromatic Games would probably focus more on DDA than DD2, but I wouldn't say they will abandon DD2. Most likely they'll complete Trendy's objectives like the "Shard Vendor" where you can obtain the shards that you want. But after these objectives, they'll probably do minor Updates like bug fixes etc.  

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, MrPeterPFL said:

Taking a guess, Chromatic Games would probably focus more on DDA than DD2, but I wouldn't say they will abandon DD2. Most likely they'll complete Trendy's objectives like the "Shard Vendor" where you can obtain the shards that you want. But after these objectives, they'll probably do minor Updates like bug fixes etc.  

At least I hope the objectives involve completing the game. Make it have a satisfying conclusion/endgame. Thanks goodness in the Elandrian's Holiday Check-In, there's is an objective that's quite close to that like having content that allows us to make use of all our power that we've farmed and grinded and also wanting to touch an ultimate boss style encounter. I did made some suggestions on how endgame could be which I think would make a decent conclusion.

Also there's also maps that has been made but not in-game currently. I do hope they can get implemented too. And I do want the carnival to return at least as an auto-rotating event or permanently. And also have the gender swaps completed plus also having Man & Machine.

That's just the major contents that I wish the game to have and I would be happy even if the game goes into life support as the game would at least be a completed game. Of course this is just me rambling so I guess I'll say we'll see what actually goes. I am open to more content beyond that if that's in Chromatic's plan.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What I really want to know is if the two teased and unreleased maps will be released (Barbarian and Wild West Themed).  Links to each can be found here.  They are fairly far along in development with some images showing the completed maps with assets down.  That would seem like something that could be implemented in a DD2 patch to add a bit more spice until DDA releases.

Edit...Old Links no longer work.  Images below:

rSPmQ55prtKtxP4mlHTTJtWDSwNVZiROxQi4kgnp

4ky82gd.jpg

2Y00IXz.jpgoNEDKtP.jpg

Edited by gotrunks712
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, gotrunks712 said:

What I really want to know is if the two teased and unreleased maps will be released (Barbarian and Wild West Themed).  Links to each can be found here.  They are fairly far along in development with some images showing the completed maps with assets down.  That would seem like something that could be implemented in a DD2 patch to add a bit more spice until DDA releases.

Yep, I definitely want to know that too! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

My biggest wonder is will the loot boxes be removed in favour of purchasing cosmetics outright, now that the game is (presumably) in better hands?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Fat Cat on Mars said:

My biggest wonder is will the loot boxes be removed in favour of purchasing cosmetics outright, now that the game is (presumably) in better hands?

I doubt much will change in DD2...at least in terms of flair. right now you can do both, and i would expect that to continue myself. 

Edited by Jaws_420
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

DD2 is dead. Long live DDA. Until DD3 anyway.

Elandrian has already said their intentions for DD2; basically fixing some shit and qol. 

Edited by Little Magic Hat

Just my .02, Destiny broke me of this model long ago.  Buy the game, get disappointed by its flaws, hope springs eternal for a new patch/DLC, buy the new content, get disappointed by its flaws....rinse and repeat.

There have been drastic changes to DD2 throughout its lifespan.  Each time, the promise of a solid product allowed me to put aside the fact that each iteration broke whatever progress I'd made to that point.  Weapons/Gear accumulated became worthless.  Towers that worked, no longer did.  Meta swaps, hard-counter enemies introduced, the damn loot boxes, the manufactured storage shortage that drove you to purchase bags, the lack of stacking items that drove you to purchase more bags.......and now, feels like the game is being dropped.  As someone else posted a few days ago, the motivation to push onslaught is pretty much gone for me now. 

I'm a crusty old man, so I've seen and experienced the life-cycle of a few hundred games.  I understand that they don't last forever, and I'm always looking forward to the next time-sink.  That said, this is different.  

Kickstarter feels like a pre-order.  Only without the guarantee that there will actually be a game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

At least we know that the updates are going to slow down on DD2 as Chromatic will now concentrate on DDA... However this does not mean it will be forgotten, just that less updates will be released for it.

14 hours ago, jaden198 said:

Just my .02, Destiny broke me of this model long ago.  Buy the game, get disappointed by its flaws, hope springs eternal for a new patch/DLC, buy the new content, get disappointed by its flaws....rinse and repeat.

There have been drastic changes to DD2 throughout its lifespan.  Each time, the promise of a solid product allowed me to put aside the fact that each iteration broke whatever progress I'd made to that point.  Weapons/Gear accumulated became worthless.  Towers that worked, no longer did.  Meta swaps, hard-counter enemies introduced, the damn loot boxes, the manufactured storage shortage that drove you to purchase bags, the lack of stacking items that drove you to purchase more bags.......and now, feels like the game is being dropped.  As someone else posted a few days ago, the motivation to push onslaught is pretty much gone for me now. 

I'm a crusty old man, so I've seen and experienced the life-cycle of a few hundred games.  I understand that they don't last forever, and I'm always looking forward to the next time-sink.  That said, this is different.  

Kickstarter feels like a pre-order.  Only without the guarantee that there will actually be a game.

I'm with you on a lot of the ups and downs. To me, DD2 always felt like it was close to breaking through, but something always held it back at every patch. I think the current product is in fairly good shape, but a number of mechanics designed to encourage spending are my biggest gripes at the moment - namely inventory management. The game never felt as complete as DD1, but I've certainly spent a crap ton of time on it. As bittersweet as it is, I am excited to see DD2 put on the backburner and have another title take core focus. Obviously, the hope of the community and the dev team is that going back to DD1 as the base for a new title will help bring back into focus some of the magic of the original that was lost in DD2 while taking notes on the elements that worked well in DD2. 

Regarding your sentiment on what this Kickstarter feels like - DDA is being made whether you contribute or not. That's been made clear repeatedly. I don't point that out to encourage you to back it. I only want to point out that the game already has resources allocated to development with that being the intended result. Unlike other the majority of Kickstarter projects where the development of the title is solely dependent on the result of the funding campaign, DDA gets made win or lose. Contributing to the Kickstarter will have an influence on the breadth of content in the first release. I usually share your view on Kickstarters, but that is objectively not the case here. 

• Like 3

I think DD2 as a first ever car you brought. It started off as rusty, not working and strugling car that desperatly needed parts repaired and even replaced but matter how offten you repair and or replace parts of the car, It aint gonna run as smooth as a new one. That new one being DDA. But since DD2 is your first car you just got that "its my first car" feeling for it.

Posted (edited)

Right now, I don't really know anymore. I just wish for the game to have a conclusion and also polished before moving on. A proper conclusion storyline and gameplay-wise. Just doesn't seem fitting and also sad for the game to just be put on life support unpolished and un-concluded, and then move to another game.

• Like 3

Ah yes Dungeon defenders 2 the sequel to dungeon defenders eternity.  I am really disappointed by all of this. Cool trendy or chromatic as they go by isn't dead. This is good. However I invested in two dreams that were never realized and I can't help but worry about supporting them again. I have what can charitably be considered 0 faith in this game. Are we getting another live service cash grab? Maybe. Are we going to get a 1/4 baked remake of DD1 like eternity? Maybe.  Are we going to get a DD moba? Maybe. But with any luck they might just be able to pull off catching that lightning in a bottle. But if this fails I don't think I can trust any of their games ever again. 

• Like 1

I would take a flawed DD game over the vast majority of other games out on the market though... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Popfuse said:

Ah yes Dungeon defenders 2 the sequel to dungeon defenders eternity.  I am really disappointed by all of this. Cool trendy or chromatic as they go by isn't dead. This is good. However I invested in two dreams that were never realized and I can't help but worry about supporting them again. I have what can charitably be considered 0 faith in this game. Are we getting another live service cash grab? Maybe. Are we going to get a 1/4 baked remake of DD1 like eternity? Maybe.  Are we going to get a DD moba? Maybe. But with any luck they might just be able to pull off catching that lightning in a bottle. But if this fails I don't think I can trust any of their games ever again. 

Since we're 100% driving the direction internally, I can say what it won't be:

• Not a live service. We're providing offline gameplay, up to 4 player splitscreen co-op, and peer-to-peer online.
  • Not free to play
  • Not a DD:E, it's based off the original Dungeon Defenders, it's not a remade Dungeon Defenders.
  • It's not going to be a MOBA, BR, or any other FotM/Y. It's going to be a Tower Defense RPG.

There are people who like the DD2 model and we're going to continue to support it. That said, there are also people who want something more based on the original Dungeon Defenders, and we're using all the great things about DD1 to make this Dungeon Defenders: Awakened. If you doubt us even after us explaining these things, that's perfectly fine, but as a developer, I would go kicking and screaming if we changed our course that we've presented to people to trust us and back us this early.

• Like 7

23 hours ago, LAWLTA said:

• Not a live service. We're providing offline gameplay, up to 4 player splitscreen co-op, and peer-to-peer online.
  • Not free to play
  • Not a DD:E, it's based off the original Dungeon Defenders, it's not a remade Dungeon Defenders.
  • It's not going to be a MOBA, BR, or any other FotM/Y. It's going to be a Tower Defense RPG.

There are people who like the DD2 model and we're going to continue to support it. That said, there are also people who want something more based on the original Dungeon Defenders, and we're using all the great things about DD1 to make this Dungeon Defenders: Awakened. If you doubt us even after us explaining these things, that's perfectly fine, but as a developer, I would go kicking and screaming if we changed our course that we've presented to people to trust us and back us this early.

I am willing to take you at your word. This last time.  After dungeon defenders was so amazing I made the mistake of jumping head first into every trendy project after. DD:E, DD2MOBA, and DD2 all three of them have been, in so many words cut short and over shadowed by each respective controversy. My post is mostly a rant fueled by "It will get better if I give them time" and a sprinkle of "If DD:A suffers a similar fate it will be the thing that really seals the deal for me." I think $20  is worth one more shot for a series that I loved. good luck on the endeavor I really hope it turns out amazing.  

• Like 2

On 3/9/2019 at 12:12 AM, Martin Arcainess said:

I think DD2 as a first ever car you brought. It started off as rusty, not working and strugling car that desperatly needed parts repaired and even replaced but matter how offten you repair and or replace parts of the car, It aint gonna run as smooth as a new one. That new one being DDA. But since DD2 is your first car you just got that "its my first car" feeling for it.

I think of DD2 as a Cheeseburger from a familiar restaurant.  I had a burger here some years ago and enjoyed it immensely.  As a result, I made a point to come again when the opportunity arose.  Unfortunately, some things had changed about the menu/management since my last visit.  This new burger had some issues.  No matter how many times I sent it back to the kitchen, they just never seemed to get it right.  After a final promise to correct it, I patiently waited at my table.  But, rather than bring out my delicious burger, they slipped out the back door and opened a new restaurant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/14/2019 at 4:10 PM, LAWLTA said:

• Not free to play

The problem is that some of us have been down this road. Multiple times.

A few months ( or...over a year ago...? geez) I was active around the forums and I criticised the game and it's direction several times.

Promises kept being made, and little was done with the game.

Regardless of the company name, the Dungeon Defenders name was almost destroyed and truly harmed during this process. Your Community kept telling you what they ( we / I ) wanted. Multiple times. Over the years.

Nothing was done for the most part.

It split the community into groups. People defending DD2 and the new direction and the people just wanting an experience more akin to DD1. Both sides rabid about their approach.

There was no need for a such toxic community.

And now, here we are. DD2 being abandoned ( because it is and will), regardless of whatever life support you claim it will have.

You have a new baby now, and it's only normal wanting to focus all the manpower and attention to it. 

In the process. Screw everyone that invested in DD1. DDE and DD2. Specially the DD2 people. 

For the most part, DD2 players paid and kept feeding a game that was still in open beta or Early Access.  'Cause they believed in you ( I believed in you ) to defend the Dungeon Defenders genre/brand. And now, after ignoring people for so long, you abandon that in favour of a reboot.

The sour taste about this is that, DD2 does not feel ( nor is it ) finished. It does NOT feel we got a complete, coherent game out of the money we spent. It feels we went these years, testing a "What if" game. 

*Edit 2* There is no end game. There are no epic boss fights. There is no proper campaign mode. 

DD1 HAD that. Thats why most of us were able to move on and trust DD2 would deliver.

Edit2 The community kept telling you that artificial difficulty through specific Monster Types and lack of map freedom was hurting the game in a terrible fashion. You ignored it for MONTHS. MONTHS! The spike from Chaos IV to Chaos V was ludicrous due to a single mob that prevented you from playing the actual game. And the siege roller? How could you defend that for so long and how can it still be in game ?! 

The inability to make the game Funner, clashed with the concept you had in your head. A concept that was never, *ever* properly implemented. You stood by your decisions and ignored the same community that made DD1 what it was. Ironically, from time to time, you would listen to some of us, but it would end up being too late.

How many times did I get slammed in these same forums for wanting more DD1 gameplay and less DD2 bullshit ? Some would go as far as defend the new direction cause this was not DD1 !  

Now look where we are. DD2 giving place to DD1.  And charging for it. Again

All of this because DD1 was always the superior Game in terms of gameplay, replayability, multiplayer and rewards. ( Not to mention Content. )
It baffles me why and how it took you so long to see this.

Don't try to  blame it all on "Trendy" or "monetization".  You are still Trendy.  Regardless of how many internal clashes there might've happen within the company, DD2 is a faulty product full of empty and void promises.

Even on the forums, during severe content draught or communication, we asked for that. We asked for more communication, and over and over again we were told " we will improve". Nothing. Changed.

EDIT : "Awakened. If you doubt us even after us explaining these things, that's perfectly fine, but as a developer, I would go kicking and screaming if we changed our course that we've presented to people to trust us and back us this early."

You do realise that's exactly what "you" did with DD2, right? Changed the course multiple times, screwing over the people that backed you up so early ( open Beta, Early Access ). So yeah.

Yes, I am being snarky, grumpy and divisive. Yes, I am throwing stuff around like a blind enraged "troll". But you're essentially going around asking for more money into a product that may or may not deliver.

We have been down this road before. And promises....promises are cheap. 

I wish you, honestly, all the best.
I take no pleasure on seeing people losing their jobs or the drive to keep creating. So I hope you succeed.

I just don't think you will, despite the face change. Cause that's all it feels like at the moment. a Rebrand, asking for more money, for a product that was already promised and never delivered.

Edited by Elyssae
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

I get all the frustration above, but at the same time - the old games cannot go on forever. I have already played DD1 and DD2 more than almost any AAA title game i own, sans like Disgaea. It is time for something new. I just hope DDA is more new and is much less DD1 2.0

Edited by Jaws_420
  • Like 2