Posted (edited)

Will DDA launch with all of the maps from DD1 and if so, will that include the Lost Stories, and the Eternia Shard maps?

Edited by Sophisticus
  • Like 2

We'll be announcing the maps at a later date. What would you like to see?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dani said:

Aquanos Moonbase and Sky City please :)

• Like 2

@Dani please, i hope you've learned that having vision blocked by high objects (i like to play zoomed out) is really bad, or any objects e.g. the closed walls of servant quarters etc. are really annoying to deal with.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Dani said:

Less short lanes, especially with enemy units with crazy long range that can hit Subobjectives or cores right from the spawn point. I'd like to see some crazy long lanes that give us plenty of time to work the enemies down, and intersection points where we can focus our firepower. Also, better ways to deal with elevation differences. Maybe some DEF specifically designed to attack from high above or way below. 

Please bring back endless maps, but with Nightmare units, not Chaos ones. 

• Like 2

@Dani I personally would LOVE to see Winter Wonderland, Moonbase, and Akatiti. Those are some of my favorite maps currently (Ontop of King's Game and Aquanos but of course those were already mentioned :p)

4 hours ago, Juicebags said:

Aquanos Moonbase and Sky City please :)

I would like to see all of the maps from dd1

• Like 5

I think the variety in approaches to level design through the original game is one of the things that makes it good. Different levels will challenge some people in different ways (I liked the closed in feel of Servant's Quarters, personally, but modern camera pass-through and transparent-izing objects that get in the way would make such things a lot nicer.)

And yeah, I'd like to see a truly endless survival mode, rather than survival just being "longer than normal mode."

• Like 3

City in the Cliffs, Aquanos, and Glitterheim caverns.  I have very fond memories of all three.

Regardless of what maps come back, I want legit reasons to spend time perfecting each map for deep runs. I miss endless style runs on maps and trying to find a way to push defenses to the limit. I'd really like to see elements of onslaught work their way into classic endless modes and potentially offer something akin to greater rifts in d3. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Captain Alejo said:

Regardless of what maps come back, I want legit reasons to spend time perfecting each map for deep runs. I miss endless style runs on maps and trying to find a way to push defenses to the limit. I'd really like to see elements of onslaught work their way into classic endless modes and potentially offer something akin to greater rifts in d3. 

Map-specific rewards like DD1 would be a great addition. There needs to be a reason to run a specific map, unlike in DD2.  That can also help limit the amount of RNG in game to farming for a perfect roll rather than farming for a specific item to drop at all.

• Like 2

The leader boards in DD2 felt like an under emphasized  feature. I think in part it stemmed from a lack of clear rules on how scores work, and general lack of incentive to repeat that content. That said, I can envision an endless/onslaught style mode for every map that let's you push near infinitely with some leader board associated with that. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dani said:

You're saying the game is about six months or so until release but the map list hasn't been finalized?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Metro said:

You're saying the game is about six months or so until release but the map list hasn't been finalized?

Thats confused me alot too. So much answers like "dunno, in progress, later". 

Ok, than main question is - how you planning release for pc and nintendo switch to october 19? Its will be pre-alpha with 1 map and 1 character to play?

Huge fan of the old-school DD1, and there's a lot of reiteration from the community as to why they loved it in the first place. So, I'm just going to be selfish and post what I'd like to see personally anyways:

1. Map-Specific Loots (you guys could even try rotating the specific loot-drops of maps between different periods of time to promote perfecting every map, idk). Bring back the old style of rare rewards for the fun grind that we were so addicted to. This also helps culture a player-driven economy with items of rarity and whatnot, which was a big part of the original.

2. No delays for loots. While I am unaware of the current state of DD2, when I first played, I received a pet egg as a reward. The incubation time took 6 hours to a day or so if I recall correctly. While you guys have said that there will be no microtransactions, I still wouldn't want to see this sort of waiting system implemented anyway into DD:A. Everything in DD1 was pretty much instantaneous, as a looter genre should be.

3. Endless Modes, various other game modes, + Leaderboards. Stimulate competition. Stimulate the desire to push players' strategies, stats, and builds to the limit, and for casual players, it's still fun trying to last as long as you could for that little robot pet.

4. Seamless multiplayer. Having the freedom to join in with friends in maps without any sort of restrictions and joining randoms through the matchmaking UI was simple, pure fun back in DD1.

5. End-Game. Legitimate, hard-core endgame. Something to work for. I do not, and I repeat DO NOT mean scaling stats on enemies on the same maps over and over again, although the challenge is nice to push for the never-ending cycle of increasing gear tiers, but I digress.. When I mention end-game, I mean exclusive-to-the-end-for-the-end content. Something enticing (a few crazy maps with a certain theme, maybe an interesting boss(es) with challenging mechanics never experienced before, a really crazy/challenging "exclusive to select end-game/new maps" game mode, I don't really know myself); to motivate players to grind out their best strategies and builds and attempt to win or not even win, but just to last even a bit longer than others. (Perhaps you guys could create this content as an outro to the story you guys are working on for the whole of DD:A, or an intro/teaser as to what DD3 would be about, but I'm not a dev, so this is merely my fantasies and rambling)

DD1 is a looter game, and it's fantastic. When you add more elements to it that make the looting even more purposeful for challenging content without certain delays that we experienced in DD2, it becomes a gem people don't mind sinking hundreds, if not thousands of hours into.

Also, unrelated to Maps (sorry), but y'all are on an aggressive development schedule as you've said yourselves. While I am excited for updates and for this product to be out ASAP, I also want to play a polished DD game. I would rather play a polished version of the game that came out later than expected, than a ragtag shamble of graphics that was pushed out just to meet a deadline. (Remember what happened to Diablo 3 at first release, as well as the recent negative backlash on the newer release, Anthem). The game will grow if it has a positive launch. I highly doubt there will be growth for this old gem of a title if launch is less than decent, especially with the unfortunate track record of previous DD titles.

With that being said, you guys have my full support, and I have high hopes with the amount of passion I'm sensing through your PR. Good luck Chromatic, keep up the work!

• Like 5

On 3/4/2019 at 10:42 PM, Dani said:

I would like to a see something new, thats crazy but fits in the dd universe, maybe a level with this time warp as introduction?

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, ApplePuff said:

5. End-Game. Legitimate, hard-core endgame. Something to work for. I do not, and I repeat DO NOT mean scaling stats on enemies on the same maps over and over again, although the challenge is nice to push for the never-ending cycle of increasing gear tiers, but I digress.. When I mention end-game, I mean exclusive-to-the-end-for-the-end content. Something enticing (a few crazy maps with a certain theme, maybe an interesting boss(es) with challenging mechanics never experienced before, a really crazy/challenging "exclusive to select end-game/new maps" game mode, I don't really know myself); to motivate players to grind out their best strategies and builds and attempt to win or not even win, but just to last even a bit longer than others. (Perhaps you guys could create this content as an outro to the story you guys are working on for the whole of DD:A, or an intro/teaser as to what DD3 would be about, but I'm not a dev, so this is merely my fantasies and rambling)

Great post, thank you for sharing your thoughts!

You have my 'amen' on everything except your #5 suggestion. Early on in the days of DD2 development, I saw a ton of people on the forums expressing that they all wanted DD2 to be much much more difficult than DD1, though I have never understood why. At the time of writing this e-mail, I have just under 1700hrs logged in DD1, and there are still a handful of maps that I cannot beat on the hardest difficulty (for a number of reasons, but primarily because I rarely run survivals...) -- point intended: DD1 was/is not an overly easy game.

In terms of difficulty / progression, it seemed that DD2 tried to add increasing difficulty with sporadic new additions in 'difficulty tiers' (Last I played, they had all the way up to NM4, which I always thought was somewhat excessive and unneeded), while DD1's progression was a little less-defined, but after you play for a while, you sort of know which groupings of maps ('Tier X') were best to play in order to prepare for the next grouping ('Tier X + 1' etc.).

Also, trying to add in difficulty that can be overcome with skill or strategy would obviously be ideal, as you've already mentioned in your post, but it is an incredibly difficult thing to do correctly (I'm not against it if 'New Trendy' is up for the challenge, but I'd be very worried if difficulty was one of their primary design influences going into DDA... I know you didn't say that in your post, but I'm just thinking out loud -- forgive me... lol).

IMO one of the reasons why DD2 struggled for so long to get character balance correct was because they kept trying to make the NM-tiers more difficult, which exponentially highlighted imbalances in hero-class usefulness, because (at least in early DD2), there were only really 1-2 builds / build styles that could actually complete a map on NM3-4, using a couple of the most-powerful builders. Let's be honest: heroes are going to be at least partially imbalanced, but even if some heroes are only slightly underpowered, unnecessarily high difficulty will limit the usefulness of these lesser-heroes, and effectively hamstring what builds are viable for a map.

• (At least in pre-Shard DD2...) You also couldn't really go back and gear up the underpowered hero-classes to compensate, because you'd hit what was effectively a soft-stat cap very quickly on your level 50's, and could only progress by farming "must-have" armor passives (and I use 'progress' loosely there...). In other words, you couldn't compensate for a crappy hero by giving him your "best gear" (in fact, you couldn't even trade gear among your own characters because the hero passives on items were locked to the armor itself -- though again, I haven't played DD2 in a long time, so they might have addressed this with the Item Sphere things maybe? I can't remember...).

From the perspective of DD1, before the CDT team stepped in and helped out, the first game obviously had its hero-balance issues as well, but because of the variety of Gear quality / rarity tiers, you could go back, farm some survivals, and deck out your Apprentice Builder, for example (who was pretty underpowered pre-CDT...) with good gear, and still make good use of him. The gear-farm-padding coupled with the fact that DD1 felt slightly easier (at least for the mid-tier maps) meant that every character at least could be used, whether some heroes were more powerful than others. E.g: I knew that, at one point, the Squire Harpoon Turret was one of the most powerful and most-used defense type, but because of the ideas addressed above, I purposely threw all of my best gear at the less powerful Apprentice and was able to still beat maps on NM even after purposely using his less-powerful defense types.
 --------> In other words, because DD1 wasn't overly difficult, I could purposely use a known-lesser-powerful Hero Class (Apprentice) simply because I liked App Towers, and still beat maps on NM. My choice of playstyle was not hindered, even with slight Hero Imbalance, because unnecessary difficulty didn't blow the Class Imbalance out of proportion.

;TLDR: Difficulty can be a good thing, but if taken to the extreme, or implemented incorrectly, it almost always will limit which classes / defense types are actually viable (even more so when raising difficulty artificially -- w/ number padding, rather than forcing different strategies / approaches). Just wanted to add a counterargument in favor of "easy" not always being a bad thing, in terms of variety / playability / general fun ("easy" in quotes, because I still don't think DD1 is easy ;P lol -- but something magical was captured in DD1 that made it 'feel' easier / more playable in a good way, that I just never felt while playing DD2...)

Edited by g_cracka88
Just re-wording a few sentences...
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/4/2019 at 1:42 PM, Dani said:

The Ramparts and The Summit are my favorite maps from the original DD1. 

I never liked Servants Quarters.  It feels claustrophobic and unpleasant to me.

Edited by Plane
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1