gigazelle

DD1 costume concept art contest - get your skin in the game!!

Hi everyone! 

In case you haven't seen me around before, I am the principal creative artist on the CDT. This means I've made most of the new weapons, pets, and accessories introduced over the last several years. My main goal on the CDT is to make you look as awesome and epic as possible.

Recently, we figured out how to get new models working with existing animations - this was an obstacle due to new software trying to work with a very old game engine. Though it took us literally years to figure out, this breakthrough means that skins and costumes are something absolutely within the realm of possibility now!

This is where I'd like to involve the community. I want you to play dress-up with your favorite heroes, and if others like your work, your concept will be made into a reality!

Rules

• Create some concept art for any hero in DD1. Anything is fair game! Remove helmets, add boots, change up hairstyles, give our skyfox a male counterpart, make the summoner look like the abyss lord - the only limitation is that it needs to use the same animations. Get creative!
  • I have provided reference art below for you to use. You are more than welcome to use these, but are not necessarily limited to using them. If you have a better picture of a hero you want to use for concept art instead, you are more than welcome to use it!
  • Post your finished concept art as a reply to this thread. Players can then upvote your post by liking it.
  • You can enter as many times as you want; however, please keep one image per reply so we can gauge popularity of individual concepts. Single replies that have multiple different concepts are disqualified.
  • Posting in the #concept-art channel of the Dungeon Defenders Runs n Giveaways Discord is absolutely fair game, encouraged, and ratings there will be taken into consideration as well. Join the DDRnG Discord here!
  • This contest will run until Saturday, March 9 2019. At that point, I'll bring together the CDT and we will judge each concept on quality, popularity, and feasibility.
  • Once the CDT has chosen a winner, I will reach out and work with them to model the costume, work with our technical art team to implement it, and release it in our next update!
  • Submissions that are not chosen, as well as submissions after March 9, will be placed in a 'backlog' where we will consider making them in the future based on timing, the theme of subsequent updates, and the quality of submission. If you're late to the party, don't hesitate to still post your stuff!

Concept art sources

Copy these images and open them in any image editor of your choice. Paint your costume or edits on a layer over the reference image, then post your costume as a reply to this thread. Good luck!

DOWNLOAD REFERENCE IMAGES HERE

A beginner's guide to concept art

If you're new to this topic, concept art basically allows me to see your vision of how you want something to look and bring it to life. You can read this Steam guide to learn more about concept art - it's in the context of TF2, but the principles apply here as well!

• Like 2

dEfZaGw.jpg
My try at a cthulu-esque summoner skin. I couldn't do a digital version because my drawing tablet broke.

Also, I know it sucks, it's my first try at drawing tentacly stuff, but having something is better than nothing

• Like 2

I am seriously lacking in the art department but I just want to say that this breakthrough is AWESOME!  Nice work peeps!

@Thaleskpl quote:

dEfZaGw.jpg
My try at a cthulu-esque summoner skin. I couldn't do a digital version because my drawing tablet broke. 

Also, I know it sucks, it's my first try at drawing tentacly stuff, but having something is better than nothing

Hey I would love to see this in dd2 with some Lovecraft themed skins for the towers, it looks cool compared to some of the skins we have right now for summoner/abysslord

This is a really cool contest especially something as big as this. Wish I could enter because I have had so many ideas for years but due to my lack of artistic skills I wont. That being said I hope we get a new Adept skin because we need one. 

AbEKoIw.png

The drawing is not so good, but i liked the idea of a samurai jester.

• Like 2

For people who are not on the discord server, these are the 4 concept arts @Spader44 made (even if 3 are not finished). The contest should already be over by now (waiting for the reveal of which one is going to be worked on), so I though I would post them here too

Jester Costume:
suit_jester.png

Summoner Costume:

unknown.png

Initiate costume:

unknown.png

Barb Costume:

unknown.png

• Like 3