Sign in to follow this  
MrMcBadass

buy shards with dust

hey just had a conversation in the DD2 discord about being able to buy shards directly with dust, im talking about the basic shards like defense power, crit defense range etc. we seemed to all agree at 10 dust for one shard and going up from there either depending on shard or chaos level.

@MrMcBadass quote:

hey just had a conversation in the DD2 discord about being able to buy shards directly with dust, im talking about the basic shards like defense power, crit defense range etc. we seemed to all agree at 10 dust for one shard and going up from there either depending on shard or chaos level.

It would be nice to actually choose what shard you would want instead of random packs. Lets expand on this idea:

You said basic shards, do you think this idea could apply to harder shards? e.g Defence Rate?

Are you changing the tiers of the shard dust? Are you combining all the shard dust tiers into one?  

Let's say you're farming Chaos 1 to get the shard "Destruction", in theory you can play 7 games to buy 1 Destruction, if you continue to farm its about 57 games (without breaking your streak) to get 10 Destruction shards which I highly doubt someone would do. Lets say you do 7 games per day, in 10 days you would obtain 10 Destruction shards to glide 1, so in 28 days (Almost a month) you would obtain 40 destruction shards to meaning you now have 4 glided shards (This does not including on getting the destruction shard when playing games, this is purely on getting the shard dust). Now do you think this is balance? 

I am not saying this idea is bad btw it's more of understanding/ seeing if this is a viable option.

I would also love a deterministic way to obtain specific shards (currently 100+ C3 shards opened and not a single deadly strikes), but I think 10 dust is too cheap.  This should be a way to mitigate bad luck, not the primary way of obtaining shards.  50 dust would be more reasonable, given that the average number of shards per tier is 30 or so.

On the other hand I think 10 dust is a bit high for a random shard.  5 would be better.

I could gild every hero i had tomorrow at 50 dust per shard and be done the game. Here is hoping they put that feature in.

@MrPeterPFL quote:
@MrMcBadass quote:

It would be nice to actually choose what shard you would want instead of random packs. Lets expand on this idea:

You said basic shards, do you think this idea could apply to harder shards? e.g Defence Rate?

Are you changing the tiers of the shard dust? Are you combining all the shard dust tiers into one?  

Let's say you're farming Chaos 1 to get the shard "Destruction", in theory you can play 7 games to buy 1 Destruction, if you continue to farm its about 57 games (without breaking your streak) to get 10 Destruction shards which I highly doubt someone would do. Lets say you do 7 games per day, in 10 days you would obtain 10 Destruction shards to glide 1, so in 28 days (Almost a month) you would obtain 40 destruction shards to meaning you now have 4 glided shards (This does not including on getting the destruction shard when playing games, this is purely on getting the shard dust). Now do you think this is balance? 

I am not saying this idea is bad btw it's more of understanding/ seeing if this is a viable option.

I would love to be able to buy specific shards with dust but it defo has to be more than 10. A Good 30 or so be more likely the right number for it.  Would it be a grind? Yes, but least you know your working towards a goal.

So thats a good 300 or so for a gilded not counting the ones you can get from normal drops.

I see "basic" shards as anything that increase the basics these include Tower/hero HP, Crit Chance, Crit Damage, Attack Rate and defense range  would be included in this and maybe raise the starting price to 20. but what I am proposing. have all shards that increase stats be buy-able and remove them from the pool completely. leave shards that augment the tower or hero to drop like normal. Shards like Celestial Attunement, Big Boy or for towers Heavy Cannonball 

maybe I dont see the issue with guiding because its not something I am concerned about, I also agree that 10 is a bit much for a random shard so lower it to 5.

I am saying to have shard dust  be 1 item instead of 7 I do see an issue with that being able to farm c1 and get c7 shard packs but you could just lock them behind Gear Score requirements 

PS thinking about now not sure weather to remove the shards from the pool completely. 

not sure give me your thoughts 

@MrMcBadass quote:

I am saying to have shard dust  be 1 item instead of 7 I do see an issue with that being able to farm c1 and get c7 shard packs but you could just lock them behind Gear Score requirements  

Locking them behind gear score wouldn't remove the issue.  You could still farm C1 shards with your C7 gear much faster than you can farm C7 shards.  The dust tiers have to stay.  I could agree to buying lower tier shards with higher tier dust though.

@tdb quote:
@MrMcBadass quote:

Locking them behind gear score wouldn't remove the issue.  You could still farm C1 shards with your C7 gear much faster than you can farm C7 shards.  The dust tiers have to stay.  I could agree to buying lower tier shards with higher tier dust though.

okay maybe the shards could cost 20-30 dust from that tier if people are saying 10 is to low 

so  1 destruction would cost 20 c1 dust and a deadly strikes would cost 20 c3 dust 

@hailminion quote:

Everything sounds good, but they gonna have to come out with a new exchange-dust, with old dusts working the same. Otherwise they'd just be screwing people without material vault. I know plenty who have bags and vault but do not have mat vault and as a result use all dust for pretty much nothing. Gotta think abt the voice of those (which I think is very common if not the majority)

yea I have not purchased any bags nor the mat vault (which should be free but whatever) this is why I made the idea of  making the 7 dusts items 1 item. I think I get what your saying allow us to change all our dust into one item

I proposed this idea a month or two ago. I really hope it gains some traction. 

In my opinion, The ability to spend dust on a specific shard solves two big problems. For one, it makes every shard seem like a little bit of progress is made toward your goal. To me this is highly preferable to hoping you win the shard lottery. For two, I would no longer need five full bags of various shards in order to get anything gilded. Instead, I would have stacks of dust, which are much more space efficient. 

As to the number of dusts required in order to get a specific shard: this is a judgement call. If it takes ten dusts to get a random one, I can only assume that it takes many more for a shard of your choice. I know that I would gladly spend 100 dusts for a deadly strikes or a defense rate. 

On a very related note, we desperately need an outlet for dust (especially C7 dust). It piles up. And nothing feels more insane than recycling C7 dust into less C7 dust just because you don’t want it taking up inventory space. 

since ive come back from a year break ive done some hard core Shard farming.. want to kill myself after selling tonns of Destro/rate/range shards over a year ago before gilding was a thing...

It was always a problem not getting the shard you need.. and progress really shouldnt be halted due to really bad rng.. they have fixed some of the issues with the mod system which is nice.. but its not enough...

Buying specific shards has been a request that has been around since shards was a thing ... sadly i dont think its going to happen.. since it would reduce the need to buy bags .. if people aint buying bags they arnt getting money.. i really dont understand the reason Hero skins became available for free (random at that).. there are some skins i would be buying right now .. but they are limited to defender packs and im not playing the lottery with Defender packs (aint that *** illegal in some countries now anyway).....

My original request over a year ago was a Shard library much like how Spheres worked... any shard you picked up would stack in a library of shards this would have solved bag space.. i did also request a version of it where the library was have it you can use it multiple times on different relics ;) but yeah none of those went through..

I'd love to see buying shards happen.. but that is a whole new UI off memory since ~2015 there has been 2 major UI's so i dont think thats gonna happen either

If you want your things considered tho i'd suggest getting on Discord and messaging the Devs.. a few of the guys are actually pretty nice to chat with that being said its been awhile since ive talked to any of them who knows what they are like now ;)

@LJMjollnir quote:

Buying specific shards has been a request that has been around since shards was a thing ... sadly i dont think its going to happen

Compound that with the fact that since dust became a thing this very idea of "using dust to buy a specific shard" has been posted on the forums in between 10-30 different threads. Repeating an idea with not much in changes from the original threads aside from price isn't getting anywhere.

@Exglint quote:

@LJMjollnir quote:

Buying specific shards has been a request that has been around since shards was a thing ... sadly i dont think its going to happen

Compound that with the fact that since dust became a thing this very idea of "using dust to buy a specific shard" has been posted on the forums in between 10-30 different threads. Repeating an idea with not much in changes from the original threads aside from price isn't getting anywhere.

have the devs replied to any of those threads?

@MrMcBadass quote:

@Exglint quote:

@LJMjollnir quote:

I don't have the best memory but I cannot recall them ever saying anything in them. Doesn't mean they didn't see it though.

@MrMcBadass quote:

@Exglint quote:

@LJMjollnir quote:

Not that I know of.

Lawlta always see threads and even though some threads dont have there replies doesnt mean they aint listening.

@Martin Arcainess quote:

Lawlta always see threads and even though some threads dont have there replies doesnt mean they aint listening.

Sure, but when a bug goes unfixed for several years it would be nice to at least acknowledge they're aware of it but it's hard to fix.  Otherwise players will get the feeling they just don't care.

@tdb quote:
@Martin Arcainess quote:

Sure, but when a bug goes unfixed for several years it would be nice to at least acknowledge they're aware of it but it's hard to fix.  Otherwise players will get the feeling they just don't care.

Eh, people are fickle. Hotfixes/updates are constantly out for this game so that say they do care. The only issue is, yeah a bug maybe out for a few years, but isn't a major one as new ones that are more important to fix keep popping up. It's all about priority and one thing about games is as soon as you get through one day worth of bug fixing, a whole week worth just gets dropped onto your desk.

If you want to see a prime example of don't care devs. Go see LBP3. Left in a horrible state and no longer receiving updates.

We're not going to be doing something along these lines, as there are a lot of fun issues/problems that arise, both on a technical side and also a design side (for example, having to play lower tiered content to get the shards you want, an afk snooze fest). 

That said, we're cooking something up right now, and if it's good after rigorous testing, should address this want.

@LAWLTA quote:

(for example, having to play lower tiered content to get the shards you want, an afk snooze fest). 

That one line there...fills me with such hope 

@LAWLTA quote:

for example, having to play lower tiered content to get the shards you want, an afk snooze fest

You mean as opposed to farming C3 maps in hopes of a Deadly Strikes shard when I already have C6 gear?  Because that's totally not a problem right now.

And before you say that C3 shards can drop from any higher chaos tier as well, I'd like to note that it's random which shard besides the current tier you get, or whether you get one at all.  The win streak bonus also gives another shard of the current tier.  So there's an extremely strong incentive to farm the shard's tier, even if it's an afk snooze fest.

@tdb quote:
@LAWLTA quote:

for example, having to play lower tiered content to get the shards you want, an afk snooze fest

You mean as opposed to farming C3 maps in hopes of a Deadly Strikes shard when I already have C6 gear?  Because that's totally not a problem right now.

And before you say that C3 shards can drop from any higher chaos tier as well, I'd like to note that it's random which shard besides the current tier you get, or whether you get one at all.  The win streak bonus also gives another shard of the current tier.  So there's an extremely strong incentive to farm the shard's tier, even if it's an afk snooze fest.

I think they'll change that part too since it's mentioned and thank goodness they're doing that. To be honest, I didn't even like farming lower tier content, I'm not even getting my full loot gold value bonus and XP value. And it is very very boring to the point that I'm thinking - Am I even playing?

@LAWLTA quote:

We're not going to be doing something along these lines, as there are a lot of fun issues/problems that arise, both on a technical side and also a design side (for example, having to play lower tiered content to get the shards you want, an afk snooze fest). 

That said, we're cooking something up right now, and if it's good after rigorous testing, should address this want.

instead of what they're suggesting how about a weekly refreshed shard sale shop that contains 5-10 random shards that cost gems or medals to obtain not dust that's for the RNG packs