Sign in to follow this  
Acenf

trying to build a roller killing cannon

so what do roller's count as range, mele or support

i generally try keep 30du to build a cannon behind rollers so mod setup would be miniboss ,weak point and ?

Goblin is one you can add. Miniboss would be my second. Possibly piercing for third, just in case geodes get in the way.  Power or Crit %/Dmg is also a good choice. Def rate too. Rollers can be stunned and frozen,  so elements are a thought, as they also add power and crowd control combos - but you could do that with a WM instead of course. 

I'm not sure on the Ranged/Melee topic. I've never seen a locked in answer for that yet. I would think Ranged would be correct...i mean those missiles and all...it has the most ranged attack of any DD2 enemy. 

From lightrayne's DD 2 info table Siege Rollers are Goblin and Miniboss. No information about the attack type ( maybe because it doesn't fit in any category or nobody tested). Also weak point is a chip not a servo.

Reflect beams are probably the best way to kill rollers, geyser traps might work as well. 

@Whatever Gunwitch quote:

Reflect beams are probably the best way to kill rollers, geyser traps might work as well. 

I know about the traps, only issue is that rollers move over them too fast to be effective, so you need to CC them on top of it for it to work well. But i have not heard about the Reflect beam strategy - can you elaborate on that one? 

Im not sure about geyser traps being that good but with reflect beams if you place them in a line with some CC, the little Booms that happen will hit the weak point and do pretty good damage on the roller as they go over them, its kind of hard to perfect but fun to see.

@Jaws_420 quote:
@Whatever Gunwitch quote:

I know about the traps, only issue is that rollers move over them too fast to be effective, so you need to CC them on top of it for it to work well. But i have not heard about the Reflect beam strategy - can you elaborate on that one? 

First person i saw using Reflect Beam to kill rollers was JuiceBags (giving the credits here). 

[[168280,users]] Geyser Traps could one shot a C7 roller before Proteus patch. I didn't bother to test it after Proteus and obviously i can't confirm if they're still useful for onslaught. 

Just as the assassin killed me the video ended (R.I.P Dryad 2019). 

oh that looks interesting

still sucks though you need a full arsnel for this stuff and i just cant afford it like sure i can just throw a reflect up no prob but whats it even use . need some hp in it but bar basic info no towers say how they work / what to aim for .will a fully developed reflect do a better job then just any old and if this lets modifiers affect it might as well just chuck gob mini boss weakpoint in see if it 1 shots itself and save myself a hero slot

:thinking: Why no one say Flamethrowers? Better than any projectile tower because they cant be blocked by another roller or anything for that matter and can hit multiple rollers if they bunch up. Slap on an anti gobu, anti minibus and controller then use Deadly rate and destruction or deadly rate and empowered flame and watch it literally melt rollers with fire. Drop a proton out front and even spellbreakers rollers have problems covering their butts from the FT tongue licking away at it.

@Exglint quote:

:thinking: Why no one say Flamethrowers? Better than any projectile tower because they cant be blocked by another roller or anything for that matter and can hit multiple rollers if they bunch up. Slap on an anti gobu, anti minibus and controller then use Deadly rate and destruction or deadly rate and empowered flame and watch it literally melt rollers with fire. Drop a proton out front and even spellbreakers rollers have problems covering their butts from the FT tongue licking away at it.

This really sounds too good to be true to me, but since you said and done it, I definitely will be trying it! Nice to know that the Flamethrowers could still kick butts good.

@Exglint quote:

but flamethrowers are magical . wouldnt it be better to go for cannonballs or traps,

@Exglint quote:

I was wondering why no one mentions Obelisks. That´s my go to tower for killing random rollers spawning (not High roller lanes) since it´s map wide and you can just place and forget. Haven´t tried their roller efficiency in higher Onslaught (above floor 110) but very effective in C7 for afk farming even in 4 player pubs..

Oh man, reflect beams to do DPS I remember when that was almost the meta back in the day, now even sadder that my C8 explosive torpedo shard is 'temporary drained of power '.

I usually use cannons with anti Miniboss which works well if there is a good line of fire and no pesky EMP kobolds around.

@MaJean quote:

I was wondering why no one mentions Obelisks. That´s my go to tower for killing random rollers spawning (not High roller lanes) since it´s map wide and you can just place and forget. Haven´t tried their roller efficiency in higher Onslaught (above floor 110) but very effective in C7 for afk farming even in 4 player pubs..

How do you make them hit the Roller when you want them to? Unless it is the last unit on the map... Or do you place the tower on the side of the lane and use the flamethrower function instead of Smite? 

@Jaws_420 quote:
@MaJean quote:

How do you make them hit the Roller when you want them to? Unless it is the last unit on the map... Or do you place the tower on the side of the lane and use the flamethrower function instead of Smite? 

The rollers will die as the last thing on the map, you can check my video in the roller thread I made if you want:)

@Zombina quote:

@Exglint quote:

but flamethrowers are magical . wouldnt it be better to go for cannonballs or traps,

Cannons can be blocked by other rollers or enemies meaning they would have to play catch up or need player interaction. Traps as noted above would need CC to keep the roller in range long enough to die. FT only real issue is enemies destroying it which is going to come down to kobolts or Malthius/Quibly spawning in the same lane as the rollers.

@Exglint quote:

Cannons can be blocked by other rollers or enemies meaning they would have to play catch up or need player interaction. Traps as noted above would need CC to keep the roller in range long enough to die. FT only real issue is enemies destroying it which is going to come down to kobolts or Malthius/Quibly spawning in the same lane as the rollers.

Maybe in a weird way of combining ideas...lay down a FT, then put up a reflect shield in front of it, and then continue to run that shield into the lane. Hit it with both! IDK...just throwing that out there. horrible DU waste, i know. 

Love the FT idea. I'll have to setup a non-used one for this task to try it out. 

I certainly haven’t perfected it up to AFK status. But I find dryad slimes to be really helpful in taking down siege rollers. They are especially good if the roller gets stunlocked with the slime pit directly behind the roller.  

Two bonus points: the slime pits don’t get destroyed by roller rockets; and I usually find the healing of the nearby tree very helpful.