Game Crashes are preventing me from wanting to return.

I have over the past few months really missed playing DD2, but sadly each time i try and return.. I can be half way through a map and it crashes. Crashing out on Lost Temple at wave 4 is enough to make me not bother again. 

Now it could be bad luck, but on the first game when trying to return both times its a real disincentive to even bother. When a game hasn't got its "hooks" in yet, it really needs to win continuously to get players invested.. otherwise its "ugh, screw it.. i cant be bothered".

Now I get bugs/crashes happen, but on a game like this it would be fantastic if you advanced the "retry wave" to save for up to 15 mins on disconnect/crash. This alone would resolve this frustrating issue of crashing/disconnecting and not wanting to have to repeat everything all over again.

I remember even when I played this game obsessively in the past, a poorly timed d/c would stop me playing for that evening.

gave it 1 last shot just to rule out bad luck, wave 4 I placed a blockade on the wrong side of a forking lane (previous game the monsters went left, this time they went right), I didn't actually even check the purple wisp line and caused myself to fail. Anyway hit that lovely "retry wave" button, and it BSOD'ed my PC.

I don't think I have the patience to retry until after some patches with a huge wave of bug/crash fixes.

Other then that, the game feels great, really wanted to climb some onslaught to maximize resetting my char and start grinding away at ancient power. Anyway till next time^^

Yep I am done for the night here too... cleared 3 dailys no problem then went into onslaught floor 140 and of course wave 4 build phase I get a complete system lock on the PS4.

Stared at the frozen screen for a couple of minutes in the hope it will magically unlock lol.  

It's draining when the crashes happen deep into the later waves it is a waste of time and progress. 

Was only liferoot forest with all lanes bar one with enemy count below 100 so it should not strain the system much.... I think the next QoL improvement should be making onslaught 3 waves as I swear 90% of the crashes happen in wave 4😠

What system are you on?  What messages are you receiving?  What server are you connecting to and where are you connecting from?  Details that help sort out these types of issues will assist Trendy helping you.

@Kambien quote:

What system are you on?  What messages are you receiving?  What server are you connecting to and where are you connecting from?  Details that help sort out these types of issues will assist Trendy helping you.

I play 2 games at the moment.

Path of exile 
Overwatch - competitive mode

Both games (mostly POE) have plenty of crashes, my pc has been increasingly unstable and BSOD's.

however.....

Path of exile gives you 6 portals per map, these portals can stay open for hours.. if I BSOD or the game crashes I simply restart the game/pc and am back in the map without any loss.. sometimes the shroud returns which means i have to rediscover the map.. but thats the worst.

Overwatch gives you 2 minute window to rejoin a competitive game before it bans you and reduces your SR by 50 points. 

Crashes are sadly a reality that will never go away no matter how stable your game is, but you can create simple systems that can make a crashing game somewhat crash proof. For DD2 that would simply be a "continue game" button that allows you to rejoin the game you were in after disconnecting/crashing at the wave you were last on. The impact of this would actually be huge in my opinion.

@Zimmermann quote:

@Kambien quote:

Path of exile 

Both games (mostly POE) have plenty of crashes, my pc has been increasingly unstable and BSOD's.

however.....

Path of exile gives you 6 portals per map, these portals can stay open for hours.. if I BSOD or the game crashes I simply restart the game/pc and am back in the map without any loss.. sometimes the shroud returns which means i have to rediscover the map.. but thats the worst.

Overwatch gives you 2 minute window to rejoin a competitive game before it bans you and reduces your SR by 50 points. 

Crashes are sadly a reality that will never go away no matter how stable your game is, but you can create simple systems that can make a crashing game somewhat crash proof. For DD2 that would simply be a "continue game" button that allows you to rejoin the game you were in after disconnecting/crashing at the wave you were last on. The impact of this would actually be huge in my opinion.

If by BSOD you mean "Blue Screen of Death" this would not be DD2 it would be your PC.  It sounds like you have something corrupt or very messed up (Windows Update can even cause massive heartache).  When you receive the BSOD what does the memory dump tell you?  If it is occurring in PoE, Overwatch, and DD2 is the memory dump reporting the same thing? 

It could be something as simple as a file.  However, if the memory dump is referencing the kernel that is pretty bad.  The memory dump could also reflect bad sectors on your hard disk or even a failing stick of RAM (those are the extremes).  More often than not formatting your hard disk (complete format) and reinstalling the O/S is one sure fire way to rule out software issues.

Does this help?

• 2 weeks later...

@Kambien quote:

@Zimmermann quote:

@Kambien quote:

Path of exile 

however.....

If by BSOD you mean "Blue Screen of Death" this would not be DD2 it would be your PC.  It sounds like you have something corrupt or very messed up (Windows Update can even cause massive heartache).  When you receive the BSOD what does the memory dump tell you?  If it is occurring in PoE, Overwatch, and DD2 is the memory dump reporting the same thing? 

It could be something as simple as a file.  However, if the memory dump is referencing the kernel that is pretty bad.  The memory dump could also reflect bad sectors on your hard disk or even a failing stick of RAM (those are the extremes).  More often than not formatting your hard disk (complete format) and reinstalling the O/S is one sure fire way to rule out software issues.

Does this help?

hey, so two things.

1, yeah the info you gave me on the cause of a BSOD confirmed what i already thought, I am not the best with computers so having someone verify my thoughts is always welcome. I always knew the BSOD's were an issue with my PC and not with the game(s). Its been 3 days and no BSOD since i made a few changes so I am hopeful things are improving but im still a little worried.

2, my point of DD2 crashing or BSOD's, power outages, D/C's was more about giving plays some security outside of having a perfectly stable pc, game, connection, power supply. Having a "resume button" would be such a quality of life improvement for us all as everyone has had a d/c or game crash that plays DD2. The systems Overwatch and path of exile use are not perfect but they are far better then if you dc/crash you lose.

I've experienced more than a couple freezes on the PS4 lately.  Definitely irritating when you're on 5/5 with 4 enemies left.  Took a pic of that one with my phone.  That said, I waited a few minutes before resetting the console.  When I logged back into the game, I'd completed the floor I was on.  Seems it finished while I was frozen.  

It's ridiculous, there are days when you can not play! I play only the night in my region, and there are days that do not give, it's fall falling, today is one of those days, 12 tries, 3 to 5 minutes online, the game crashes, it locks the audio, and it closes everything.