Sign in to follow this  
ethanstone6

sea of monks...

ok, I'm not sure how it's like on other platforms, but no joke, why is like 80% of the player base monks? it ranges from new players to full on vets... they all play monk and for some reason refuse to change. what am I missing here?

there are many reasons, i will only point out one of them:

• Double Jump - this is a ability VERY good for map control, you jump from one side of the map to the other in no time, so you can deal with 2 bosses far away from each other. This ability is for 3 Heroes Monk, Dryad, and Gunwich ... but Gunwich has low HP ... Dryad is hated by others, so this leaves them with the original Hero = Monk ... (i have to admit that i find Dryad better than Monk at flying fast from one side of the map to the other) ... Devs tried to give us more speed movement on other Heroes like Lavamancer . but he hits obstacles so it's undergroud ability is questionable, Barbarian is clumsy, and so on ...
  • The other reason for Monk preference is NUKE Monk - you can one hit bosses in Onslaught Floor 500 (above i don't know, but i think it's possible), Nuke Monk is a better reason than Double jump, but i hope other Forum members can explain how this works.

@ethanstone6 quote:

ok, I'm not sure how it's like on other platforms, but no joke, why is like 80% of the player base monks? it ranges from new players to full on vets... they all play monk and for some reason refuse to change. what am I missing here?

what the guy above me said and also i think because he has the coolest abilities (in my opinion) out of the starting 4 and looks like the Avatar. Plus Auras > towers

The monk is the MVP of this game. Everything about the monk is useful. He is not like other heroes that have only one aspect of them to be good. 

He has good mobility (double jump)

He has melee and projectile attacks

all of his defenses are useful and has the best anti- air tower

If you build him well for Hero damage, he has the highest DPS and one shot hit in the game.

He can also be extremely powerful if you decide to build him with ability power. Thanks to heroic wave and AP buff chip. 

The dryad used to be the MVP before until they nerfed her bees, and without her bees, the dryad is nothing. I am hoping they will change it back since we have OP weapon manufacturers that does too much stunning and yet is still allowed in the game. 

EV2 and Abyss Lord's for the win!

Nuke monk is amazing and probably the best for where it is currently!

@Scorpion449 quote:

The monk is the MVP of this game. Everything about the monk is useful. He is not like other heroes that have only one aspect of them to be good. 

He has good mobility (double jump)

He has melee and projectile attacks

all of his defenses are useful and has the best anti- air tower

If you build him well for Hero damage, he has the highest DPS and one shot hit in the game.

He can also be extremely powerful if you decide to build him with ability power. Thanks to heroic wave and AP buff chip. 

The dryad used to be the MVP before until they nerfed her bees, and without her bees, the dryad is nothing. I am hoping they will change it back since we have OP weapon manufacturers that does too much stunning and yet is still allowed in the game. 

the dryad is a beast. idk what you’re talking about. at least for combat. 

Out of the original 4, which requires no purchases from the shop - Monk is the most versatile. You get Auras ( which will destroy everything but those damn Cyborks), air defense (pretty much only 1 in the game), and a nasty DPS combo in the Nuke Monk as mentioned above plus both Melee and Range attacks. For a new player, it provides a "welcome to DD2" tour so to speak IMO. 

Personally, i was always the Huntress basically until i got Barb and GW. I only ever used the Monk for building. I blame that on DD1 though, as she was my queen there, and Monk was not as godly in that game. Squire was the go-to in DD1 (PS3) for many of the same reasons. Best base builder, anti-air, and only real tank. Many started with Apprentice as well as he had a full def set also, just not as strong in the end. 

Still in DD2, my Flame Auras are still my fave def to use for most mobs, even with every single def unlocked and built up. LSA's are still my go-to miniboss killers as well. Mad props for Monk. 

@nuzo quote:

The meta will always change, it's human nature.

the nuke monk has been broken since before the game was even released, unless trendy nerfs the hell out of him, the meta isn't gonna change