Sign in to follow this  
SELL SW0RD

What counts as a buff?

I’m interested in using the Damage Buff chips on my squire. Does his Taunt ability count as a buff for the purpose of the chips?  How about if I have the Swift Provocation shard with it?  Does the healing aura of the dryad tree count?

Thanks in advance!

Abyss Lord healing well. I think an active barb stance. The lava guardian ball gives a buff. Healing tree aura. Flame shard can buff. Monk can buff through talisman or their aoe buff. Dryad and mystic have an always on buff I believe. Lots of buffs!

@SELL SW0RD quote:

Thanks, Kambien!  Do know specifically about the squire taunt ability?

I do not. :-( The trouble is our character sheets won’t show the change in stats when we are buffed. Otherwise we could activate provoke and open I (while in town) and see the difference. I would assume... yes? But I am not 100%. 

@Kambien quote:

Abyss Lord healing well. I think an active barb stance. The lava guardian ball gives a buff. Healing tree aura. Flame shard can buff. Monk can buff through talisman or their aoe buff. Dryad and mystic have an always on buff I believe. Lots of buffs!

what dryad buff is always on?

@super_slayan quote:

@Kambien quote:

what dryad buff is always on?

Yes, I don't know the buffs exactly as I barely play the Dryad but isn't there always buffs while in both her forms?

@Kambien quote:

Did you actually test this?

Abyss Lord Healing Well does not grant a buff.  I don't see a status icon, and standing in the well does not activate either of the "buff" chips (AP or damage).  Personally tested.

The buff from World Tree gives you a status icon, but does not count.  Dryad's Blessing (Ability #1) does count, but assassins will remove it whenever they facehug you.  Personally tested.

Mystic's appeasement "buffs" don't count.

The Apprentice's Manabomb when using the Manabomb's Aid shard does not count.  Personally tested.

Squire's Provoke does count.  Personally tested.

• Like 1

@Cymmina quote:

@Kambien quote:

Abyss Lord Healing Well does not grant a buff.  I don't see a status icon, and standing in the well does not activate either of the "buff" chips (AP or damage).  Personally tested.

The buff from World Tree gives you a status icon, but does not count.  Dryad's Blessing (Ability #1) does count, but assassins will remove it whenever they facehug you.  Personally tested.

The Apprentice's Manabomb when using the Manabomb's Aid shard does not count.  Personally tested.

I have tested it!  My abyss Lord is +AP on life above 90% and when buffed.  When I cast flaming knight without being in the radius of healing well my DPS is around 2-3 million.  When I cast flaming knight within the radius of my healing well my DPS goes up to - depending on crits and fire damage additional, etc. - goes up to 5 to 6.5 million DPS per cast of flaming knight.

Keep in mind the character sheet stats in the inventory screen NEVER reflect +anything on buff or +health above 90%.  

@Kambien quote:

@Cymmina quote:

@Kambien quote:

I have tested it!  My abyss Lord is +AP on life above 90% and when buffed.  When I cast flaming knight without being in the radius of healing well my DPS is around 2-3 million.  When I cast flaming knight within the radius of my healing well my DPS goes up to - depending on crits and fire damage additional, etc. - goes up to 5 to 6.5 million DPS per cast of flaming knight.

So you didn't actually test any of the things you listed.  And you didn't use a proper control for your Flame Knight test, either.  Did you use a Dragolich, too?

Try unequipping your pet and check with just your left click attack or an uncharged right click attack and seeing what the single-hit non-critical value is.  I did it with and without the Healing Well specific shard that goes in your boots.  There wasn't a change at all.  I had both the AP Buff and Damage Buff chips equipped, just in case.

@Cymmina quote:

So you didn't actually test any of the things you listed.  And you didn't use a proper control for your Flame Knight test, either.  Did you use a Dragolich, too?

Try unequipping your pet and check with just your left click attack or an uncharged right click attack and seeing what the single-hit non-critical value is.  I did it with and without the Healing Well specific shard that goes in your boots.  There wasn't a change at all.  I had both the AP Buff and Damage Buff chips equipped, just in case.

Wow... If you read my posts you would see that I did not comment that I knew anything for a fact EXCEPT the Abyss Lord.  I have tested with several pets, with my Abyss Lord and EV2.  AL is full AP build, EV2 is full hero damage.  With or without pet equipped, my DPS is as I stated - and I can ensure you for 100% that my AL is receiving the buff and that is the DPS.

If you have more specific questions that I MIGHT be able to help with let me know. :-)  Otherwise, for +AP above 90% health and +AP while buffed, for AL, it does work with the healing well. :-)

@Kambien quote:

@Cymmina quote:

Wow... If you read my posts you would see that I did not comment that I knew anything for a fact EXCEPT the Abyss Lord.  I have tested with several pets, with my Abyss Lord and EV2.  AL is full AP build, EV2 is full hero damage.  With or without pet equipped, my DPS is as I stated - and I can ensure you for 100% that my AL is receiving the buff and that is the DPS.

If you have more specific questions that I MIGHT be able to help with let me know. :-)  Otherwise, for +AP above 90% health and +AP while buffed, for AL, it does work with the healing well. :-)

You did not test this properly. Buff chips do not work with Abyss Lord's healing fountain, nor do they work with Dryad's World Tree. The fact that you are looking at the dps instead of the actual damage ticks means you didn't conduct this test and collect data properly. If you look at the actual damage ticks, they remain the same regardless of whether or not you use a fountain. I personally tested this with Knight of the Abyss (with Ability buff chip), as well as a nuke monk's pet ability (this is with damage buff chip). Both of them showed the exact same values before and after I stood in the fountain. A damaging pet ability is the BEST way to test this, because pets cannot crit, so I will not get bad data like you did. Just because you see a buff icon at the top right does not mean it counts as a buff in the context of buff chips. Test things properly before you post misleading information next time. 

Guess it's time to rebuild my Abyss Lord so he does less damage. :-(

#HeWillBeMissed

#HealingWellsAren'tBuffs

#HeCanFinallyTakeABath

#TheLadiesMightNotFindHimSoCreepy

#ForumLurkers

#ILoveCheese

@Cymmina

Thank you!

[[14552,users]] and [[24131,users]] does the Fountain of Speed shard create a buff to activate buffed chips?