Sign in to follow this  
Exglint

Material Acquisition, The Destruction of the Early Game

For a long while now we have brought concerns about farming lower tiers for materials we need at higher tiers. This has more so been about Ancient Power resetting gear and making its starting floor higher and higher pushing you away from gaining materials that you need to continue leveling your gear. As such, I put together an idea that can alleviate this problem while also keeping the balance of being a new player and doesn't affect our newly founded reroll items which have been taken with such good feedback so far.

I suggest making a new currency, that I will call MC from here on short for Material Currency, that will take its place up with Gold, DM, and Gems and be awarded on the end screen with no deviating amounts like the materials from chests having a chance to get extra. This MC will have a cap of 10,000 so spending it periodically is a good idea if you don't want it to go to waste. To make this idea work each tier will need to give a higher and higher amount of MC based on what we get as drops now.

• Campaign - 1
  • Chaos 1 - 3
  • Chaos 2 - 4
  • Chaos 3 - 5
  • Chaos 4 - 7
  • Chaos 5 - 10
  • Chaos 6 - 13
  • Chaos 7 - 15
  • Onslaught 30+ - 20

Now beyond what each level of gameplay gives (or what Trendy decides would be okay to give) each material needs it own cost and a vendor. Lucky for us, we have one already and a lot of much older players will remember the old lady who used to do upgrades for us back in the Nightmare days. Today she sits in the bar drinking her troubles away but we need to put her to work selling us materials for some magical MC.  Each of these can be locked by tier, ie. if you haven't done one chaos 4 then you cant buy shiny stuff or c4 Amps, or if you haven't done one c2 you can't buy c2 Amps, but if you do Floor 30+ then it unlocks all previous tiers of mats. These will be listed as Material Type then Cost from Plain to Pristine (or tier to tier in case of amps).

• Motes - 1, 2, 3
  • Hammers - 1, 2, 3
  • Clusters - 1, 3, 5
  • Ingots - 1, 3, 5
  • Quills - 1, 3, 5
  • Rings - 1, 3, 5
  • Scales - 1, 3, 5
  • Leathers - 1, 3, 5
  • Ampoules - 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4 (no c8 Amp because it has a special drop rules)

Now that all that is out of the way and no one will read this part, I will explain the reason I thought of all this. As I near the end of my climb to AP 58, I'm starting to think of what I will need. This includes Plain Motes and Shiny Motes but what I never actually thought about was Amps. I have very few c2 Amps, and this will mean I need to farm c2 for 1 Amp per map and I need a bunch so many many maps. With even c7 gear this is very boring but I'm doing floor 50-80 right now and it doesn't award anything I need to get my gear back up. At the same time I have way more Pristine Motes and c7 Amps than I could ever use and it just doesn't seem right that I'm being rewarded with something I can't use. 

Now these numbers, for anyone who has looked them over and done the math, are not going to get you everything you could ever want per map, but they will give you the option of getting everything you want right NOW. Rather than farming 700 c3 for Plain Motes, you could farm a few c7 and buy all the Plain Motes. Instead of farming only Dungeon maps for those Clusters to do relics you can farm ANY map and get those Clusters you want. Even more desirable, Onslaught would actually award something more than Chaos 7. Most importantly, Trendy needs to give us a way to > buy up to a stack of items <, because no one wants to buy 300 motes one at a time.

Now its really up to the community, if this is an idea that you think would be better than our current situation click the little like button and/or leave a comment and we will see if we can get out of the lower tiers with the max geared heroes farming for mats in a place we should never be. Farm where you want, how you want, when you want, and get what you want.

Edit 1: Added an income for Campaign

I think that at a min. - all higher materials should work on any lower requirements. A C7 amp should be okay to use in place of a C1 (or any 1-7) one, but not vice versa.  Seems crazy to me to force us to play anything lower than our top ability, unless there is  unique reward for doing so, and materials do not count in that category for me. 

@Jaws_420 quote:

Seems crazy to me to force us to play anything lower than our top ability, unless there is  unique reward for doing so, and materials do not count in that category for me. 

I agree but I went further than that. Having each map section drop a certain material seemed cool at first but then we saw c8 requirements. I dont like farming the same map until my eyes bleed because I want more power and especially because Im stuck in c7 to do it rather than Onslaught 30, 50, 80, 150, 200+ since I cant target farm there even though that is where I should be for challenging content. :)

@Exglint quote:

I agree but I went further than that. Having each map section drop a certain material seemed cool at first but then we saw c8 requirements. I dont like farming the same map until my eyes bleed because I want more power and especially because Im stuck in c7 to do it rather than Onslaught 30, 50, 80, 150, 200+ since I cant target farm there even though that is where I should be for challenging content. :)

Agreed. The whole material system needs some revamping. C1 materials sell for more than C7 ones do. That should tell us alone that something is broken in the approach. I think everything should be done in such a manner that it constantly propels you forward, to your best, not holding you back on purpose. You should naturally get the materials you need as you are progressing (with some grinding of course), at the same speed, or to me that is a design flaw. Being at C7 level, having to play C1 is a misalignment. Being at C7 and playing anything under that is a miss IMO. 

Nothing burns me out quicker than playing the same map over and over again. I miss the replay button that randomized a map with a type - like all Castle maps. A little variety goes A LONG way IMO. 

Hopefully in the future resets will exclude gear, or at least C8 gear as it blows my mind that something so extremely rare and hard to get is reset each time. Why ever get a C8 amp until your last reset then? Else we have to horde them until we have done 50+ resets? OMG...  

I definitely will have to agree with this. I decided to take a break from AP-ing ans start pushing Onslaught Floors. And I realize that I might need some materials. Then that's when the prospect of farming the lower tier starts to get un-appetizing to me. 

To think of it, at least in AP you're doing something and progressing. But farming the lower tiers is just plain boring (Which is also why I hoped my shard farming days is over). I would definitely rather climb onslaught and AP while gathering those mats at the same time.

So yeah, this idea is a great idea! Do hope that it really gets implemented :)

BTW, maybe the Treasure Pirate could sell those mats instead? And move the DM pets to the pet vendors? It just seems fitting to me as mats are kinda like treasures and all pet related stuffs goes to the pet vendors. But I'm cool having the Enchantress selling those too.

@BeerGoggles quote:

Can I get a quick Tl;dr?

Get a generalized currency to buy materials from a vendor rather than have materials drop in very specific locations tier and map wise

Or instead of a new currency, just make the old lady able to exchange currencies/materials. Either way, good thinking Exglint.

@Exglint quote:

Most importantly, Trendy needs to give us a way to > buy up to a stack of items <, because no one wants to buy 300 motes one at a time.

Great idea! Really love this part <3

I agree with glint, and the system he proposed is actually pretty good.

That said if it's too difficult to implement on a technical level, I'd advice, atleast on the short term, something on the lines of:

1 pristine = 3 shiny & 1 shiny = 3 plain

And easy exchange panel in the UI (or an NPC) could fix the whole entire problem, atleast for now.

The game will be in an healthy situation when, in no case, you need to go back and farm lower afkable boring content.

This includes mats,shards and mods farming, going for challenging content should not only be useful but also beneficial (doing something like 1 pristine = 1 shiny, it's not good enough).

Also while target farming for mats is great , I feel like rotating where mats drop would increase the fun in the game, doing draken resort/keep over and over for tokens is VERY boring.

@giux quote:

That said if it's too difficult to implement on a technical level, I'd advice, atleast on the short term, something on the lines of:

And easy exchange panel in the UI (or an NPC) could fix the whole entire problem, atleast for now.

The game will be in an healthy situation when, in no case, you need to go back and farm lower afkable boring content.

This includes mats,shards and mods farming, going for challenging content should not only be useful but also beneficial (doing something like 1 pristine = 1 shiny, it's not good enough).

Also while target farming for mats is great , I feel like rotating where mats drop would increase the fun in the game, doing draken resort/keep over and over for tokens is VERY boring.

I have to agree with this too! Currently, pristine stuff is quite saturated of all the mats. This would make it more valuable and more worthwhile as it supports the notion of stuff from higher tier is better. 

@giux quote:

While I like the fall back idea, I didn't include it because I don't think it will be very much in our favor like that. Best case scenario is going to be 1:1 as far as I can tell, but I fear they go for the 1 pristine to 0.5 shiny and then 1 shiny to 0.5 plain. which is why I didn't include it. Currently we have so much pristine stuff that the lower tier mats would get way over saturated with a 1:2 or 1:3 trade down. The material vault holds 9999 per slot and 1k Pristine would trade down to 9k plain with a 1:3 and 6k plain in the 1:2 system, then just think about how much pristine mats people have.

Great fallback for ease of implementation but definitely not my first pick if we got the choice.

Good idea, especialy that AP resetters are full of Pristine Motes but lacks Plain Motes / Shiny Motes.

Emoji_Monk.png

I saved up 700 Blue Motes and 400 Green Motes before starting resets ... now with my current consumption i can hold 15  more resets ... but i am slow ... one reset per 10 days average.

@emilian quote:

I saved up 700 Blue Motes and 400 Green Motes before starting resets ... now with my current consumption i can hold 15  more resets ... but i am slow ... one reset per 10 days average.

Yea this part is what I'm hoping to change mostly, add in the time it takes to farm the mats or the gold to buy the mats and it makes the resets even slower and you arent getting the rewards you are looking for while doing them. I get that it is supposed to take time but the increased floors do that well enough for most and adding more powers adds more time. There is a limit to how much of one mode a person can handle. This also removes the need to protect gear in any way from resets because you are always getting what you need anywhere to upgrade stuff.