Sign in to follow this  
BABurrito69

Thoughts on the update.

So, 4.3 adds a boss fight to the Drakenfrost Keep, and Makes for a nasty time in Onslaught as a 10th floor capstone... My opinion is just.. 

YES. 

I love this change to the game and if this is the direction we are going in, having actual boss fights in the endgame and ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME, than i'm all for this. The boss mechanic is simple to learn, easy to do if your paying attention, and he has a special loot table that changes week to week?? Bravo trendy, this is great. Now i haven't seen onslaught Keep yet, so i have no experience there yet, still resetting (literally did floor 69 the day before this update) but having a proper challenge that isn't just "find another way to afk" where you have to pay attention is wonderful. Me and my onslaught partner have a long running joke where we build a map, hit g, and i look at memes on my phone until the wave is over... And that's the ENDGAME content. This is a huge step in the right direction! Trendy have already said they consider resets and onslaught their endgame content, so it shouldn't be afk able IMO. 

As far as in expeditions, literally ANYTHING they can add to make me look at this game while i'm farming is a bonus. My biggest complaint about this game is that farming lower content is Sooooooooo BORING, so if they are taking steps to improving that, i'm all for it. And for the people who just afk multiplayer keeps in expeditions, shame on you. 

Also idk if its a bug, but onslaught bosses spawn in random (or at least different) spots now, Please keep this, it wonderful! Again, actually paying attention to this game and not memorizing where bosses spawn is fantasic

Now all isn't just "praise trendy" I think that nothing is perfect, and constructive feedback is awesome. I am worried that onslaught keep might not have enough DU, like a lot of other maps (throne rooms/ nimbus reach/ ramparts siege/ drakenfrost resort/ molten citadel) Those maps I basically auto skip if I get them. And quick thought, having lower du than a map should have (200ish for basic lane, 100 for flier, 300ish for double, these are takin from the temple) isnt (IMO!!) a way to make a map harder, just more tedious, but tbh i can skip all those ones no big deal. The keep i cant skip, so all i ask is yes, it should be a challenge, but is it fair? Dark souls is literally the hardest game in a very long time, but its fair about everything, even dying. 

About re rolls having a pity timer, i worry that this timer will let anybody and everybody run around with t10's and shoot the market in the foot, but we will have to wait and see i guess, not against this change per say, i saw re rolls as a way to slowly get a good enough mod b4 you got the t10 one to drop, but that's just me.

So im off to do a bunch more resets, ill prolly make a post when i get to onslaught Keep to talk about that when i'm more knowledgeable about it, Love to see the work that's been put into the game Trendy!! 

The only thing i didn't like was that i'm beeing forced to use the oil+fire combo or the burning strikes shards. This is not a problem at all, because Trendy is making us thinking about how to counter something, which its awesome, but during the reset process its really hard to care about that combo or to spend 570k on a shard every time we reset (cause the chance of applyng the burn is really important here). I dont know if im missing something here, but it just made the reset process more difficult.

I pretty much agree on everything on you said! :D it was a nice update, obviously not perfect and diminishing returns is either seen as very needed or very disliked with no in-between. Only thing i kind of disagree on is the pity timer, re roll rates are uber bad already - market is super overpriced for everything because good good mods are so rare, making them a little less rare will make that perfect tenacity mod go from a months worth of grind of like 70m, to maybe like 30m which is still already a loooot of mulah for like 90% of the player base right now . overall im pretty content with this patch!

It is horrendous in onslaught. If he freezes a lane that has mobs already out, especially frosties, its an instant lose. The mechanic is too severe for high end onslaught and it needs to go. Onslaught above floor 80 already has 0 incentive to play besides leaderboard chasing and this map can easily halt your progress. Theres no reward to going through the hell of playing incursion in onslaught. I tried it at 189 and there is nothing you can do if mobs are in the lane during freeze. Its an instant lose. Tried helping a friend on 109 and we quit after 6 failed first waves. If you get an unlucky freeze at the wrong time, its just over. Being hyped about something in c7 that is a breeze just gives the devs false feedback. Go push floors and then youll see just how great it is. I was on my way to a solid 250 until this incursion dropped. This is a great way to make us leaderboard climbers quit...about the only loyal people holdng this game together. The dragon needs to go for onslaught, or take out modifiers on that map.

@Dabeasta quote:

It is horrendous in onslaught. If he freezes a lane that has mobs already out, especially frosties, its an instant lose. The mechanic is too severe for high end onslaught and it needs to go. Onslaught above floor 80 already has 0 incentive to play besides leaderboard chasing and this map can easily halt your progress. Theres no reward to going through the hell of playing incursion in onslaught. I tried it at 189 and there is nothing you can do if mobs are in the lane during freeze. Its an instant lose. Tried helping a friend on 109 and we quit after 6 failed first waves. If you get an unlucky freeze at the wrong time, its just over. Being hyped about something in c7 that is a breeze just gives the devs false feedback. Go push floors and then youll see just how great it is. I was on my way to a solid 250 until this incursion dropped. This is a great way to make us leaderboard climbers quit...about the only loyal people holdng this game together. The dragon needs to go for onslaught, or take out modifiers on that map.

Well thx for the imput!  You are right, and as i said i have no idea about onslaught keep, but i still think the idea of having a 10th floor boss fight in onslaught is still wonderful. Maybe a lil turned up to 11, but they can totally tweak how many times the dragon comes out and adjusting du amounts to reflect the difficulty. Did you try using walls? they do get frozen, but even that far up walls can still hold off mobs for a few seconds for you to thaw everything out. Ive also done some testing, you can totally learn where the dragon lands and just stand on the fire spots and thaw them as they are freezing. and yes i do plan on pushing floors after my resetathon, don't worry i will be chasing the leader boards, and if mastering one extra mechanic every 10 floors is what i gotta do, i have no complaints about it. There is no way they will remove the boss fight, they want a challenge, maybe it turns out its a lil too much and tweak it. But crying for a nerf and removal of fun content wont help, we can look at destiny to see what happens when we nerf the fun out of the game... 

I totally disagree, I hate to have to use the fissure of the lava mancer, before I thought this defense very horrible, now, it's more horrible still. in a short period of time we only have nerfs, starting with the dryad, which turned her into a rubbish character, who can not use this anymore is the truth. Another thing also, is to see someone say that "defense X" works on the floor 60 or 70. Lol, very funny these low floors do not serve as a reference, for a defense really work you have to do the test on the floor 200 or 300 , if you can successfully complete it, then we can consider that the defense is really working and balanced with the other defenses. What the hell am I going to do with a defense that does not even work on Low Floors? It just shows that this defense does not work. What you should really have is balance of all defenses. In order for you to really have a question as to which defense to use and not to hold the manufacture, having to use the manufacture on all maps. Very annoying this, but unfortunately it is so.

Drakenfrost started as a great patch, but took several wrong turns that made it crash and burn.  

Lets look at what happened below;

Drakenfrost is released

1) We get a new map, Drakenfrost Keep                                                                   = GOOD

2) We get a holliday event                                                                                            = GOOD

3) We get the initial implementation of expanding on elemental combos          = GOOD (but temporary pain)

4) We get the ability to re-roll mods                                                                            = GOOD

5) We get an inventory sorting filter                                                                             = OK

6) We get more space in the material vault                                                                = VERY GOOD

7) we get an initial implementation of communities                                                 = GOOD (for some players)

Patch 4.3 is released

1) Drakenfrost keep is turned into some sort of pseudo-incursion level               = VERY BAD

- If it was given an incursion then it would be GOOD, but that didn't happen

- Its no longer viable as a map to farm re-roll items (or even play casually)

2) New version of Drakenfrost Keep is appears every 10 onslaught levels             = VERY BAD

- I have to ask, did the Devs even consider how this will affect solo players?

3) We have to play adventure mode in order to get the Drakenrost flair                = BAD

- I haven't confirmed this personally, but I have seen people talk about it

4) Communities was fully implemented (on pc?)                                                          = GOOD (for some players)

From my perspective, we were initially given a great update with nothing permanent to complain about.   But for some unexplained reason, the Devs decided to alter a well implemented system and change it into something terrible.

In other words, we took two steps forward and three steps backward with the Drakenfrost update(s).

This patch fixed DR that is a huge plus ! 

As far as Frost map in onslaught every x9 floors goes, it's fine 

A pain when you just want to afk , but otherwise straight up fun 

@RustyCounterweight quote:

But for some unexplained reason, the Devs decided to alter a well implemented system and change it into something terrible.
In other words, we took two steps forward and three steps backward with the Drakenfrost update(s).

There are a multitude of reasons. One is players have been asking for new enemies/minibosses/bosses for a very long time. Making it an incursion makes it a one and done event, and players were asking for more than that. Another is players wanted another map that was like Lost Temple, but wasn't Lost Temple (specifically Onslaught climb made that map not feel special/hard to encounter). 

The list could go on, but we have countless feedback that supported making these decisions (on top of our internal design direction). It's also been out for one day. Things can be tweaked, changed, and made to feel better if they overall don't feel great, which is not what we're seeing currently. Stating that we're factually  working backwards is misguided, as it's a personal opinion, and that's fine, but it's not something we're seeing on the large scale. Players want engaging epic moments with cool rewards, and this is a step towards trying to provide more of them. 

@LAWLTA quote: Players want engaging epic moments with cool rewards, and this is a step towards trying to provide more of them. 

Does that mean that the game is going to go farther in this direction, because whether it does or not is something that I will. personally, take into account before sinking more time into it and it would be nice to have some clarification.

I am in favour of less temple time especially as it's still broken for me on PS4 it either crashes on wave 4 or gets stuck on retry wave which has been the case since the Drakenfrost update so I've not been able to play onslaught and enjoy this new problem map!.

So my current thoughts on this update are it is VERY BAD dispite some positive changes like mat vault and bag sales... I hope that certain defenses get a DU review soon though as I find with DR being a thing now you need more DPS defenses or sometimes two to do the same job as one prior to all the updates.

@LAWLTA quote:

But for some unexplained reason, the Devs decided to alter a well implemented system and change it into something terrible.

There are a multitude of reasons. One is players have been asking for new enemies/minibosses/bosses for a very long time. Making it an incursion makes it a one and done event, and players were asking for more than that. Another is players wanted another map that was like Lost Temple, but wasn't Lost Temple (specifically Onslaught climb made that map not feel special/hard to encounter). 

The list could go on, but we have countless feedback that supported making these decisions (on top of our internal design direction). It's also been out for one day. Things can be tweaked, changed, and made to feel better if they overall don't feel great, which is not what we're seeing currently. Stating that we're factually  working backwards is misguided, as it's a personal opinion, and that's fine, but it's not something we're seeing on the large scale. Players want engaging epic moments with cool rewards, and this is a step towards trying to provide more of them. 

It doesn't feel great and doesn't feel fun. Maybe you need to differentiate between people who want to climb high and people who just enjoy a nice challenge for fun that is not C7..that is not fun either (unless you are playing the new map in C7)

I'll keep an eye out on what happens the next update but I really can't see myself playing for now. Maybe it was time for a break anyway.

Speaking strictly for the Xbox ,   Pretty much everybody I talk to hates temple map, I like it but it’s flawed.

Having  an incursion Style map on Onslaught is downright awful idea.. like really bad. Adding in the fact my WM don’t work for me anymore.. yay. 😄  Hopefully something gets changed real soon. 

Thanks for the work guys 

@LAWLTA quote:

People complaining about having to kill a boss and do an incursion style map to farm something in this game even though before shards were even a thing people were farming magus quarters for medals and other incursions for the only good gear in the game, i find this ironic lol

i guess i should have farmed for rerolls  before patch if its this awful / im still going to try it and see how it goes wish me luck 

@Debs quote:

Only thing i kind of disagree on is the pity timer, re roll rates are uber bad already - market is super overpriced for everything because good good mods are so rare, making them a little less rare will make that perfect tenacity mod go from a months worth of grind of like 70m, to maybe like 30m which is still already a loooot of mulah for like 90% of the player base right now . overall im pretty content with this patch!

I kind of wanted to take this piece right here out of all the posts for two things.

One, I would love for Trendy to do up a chart that shows how much gold was in the game from Dec 12th 2017 until now. Marking each point in time there was a patch, especially trading and the mod drop rate rework. Now a lot of people don't believe this but when you look at it nothing else makes sense. Why is it, after doubling the chances to get 8s, 9s, and 10s the prices for these mods barely moved. Day of that patch going live I got 4 good 10/10 mods, several days since then I have had days like that. Prices aren't going to move unless there is a massive movement in rarity. I fully believe that the rising stocks of gold are to blame here.

Two, these rerolls aren't meant to make mods easier to get, they are for targeting a very specific mod. This is the target farming method everyone wanted, except with rerolls instead of drops. Why does it feel like you could reroll 300 times and not get a 10/10 mod? Have you ever counted how many items you sell when playing solo before you see a 10/10 mod? That would be why the rerolls are the way they are. Also just to add on to the end of your post, if prices move down that much because of the rerolling system, its not because they are more common, because you cant trade items once rerolled, its because no one wants them anymore since rerolling is so easy to get perfect mods. I doubt we will ever see that big of a movement on price from here on.

I was thinking more in the way of - i just recently got back up to 70m gold after a looooong time of being below 10m from upgrades and resets, i haven't reset in a couple months now and i play very regularly and have been climbing. Now if i wanted to buy a decent mod like rate/tenacity/shocking rev or any of the more meta mods right now it would take me over a month of saving up for a single mod, and that's not to add the chances of finding someone selling one - and at a decent price at that - now i might be the only one feeling this but i don't want to waste a months worth of gold on one mod. And i cant even imagine the feeling for the people with no/low gold buffs from resets and i have 26 atm. I totally understand not wanting them to be super common but the cost for any decent mod is super high right now, saying 30m for a single mod means its either useless or so common it doesn't matter is kind of exaggerating. 30m on its own is weeks if not months of play time for majority of players already. I honestly don't mind the re-roll system right now it might be very rare but that's how it was intended - to be an extra chance for a better mod and a way to pinpoint farm, which is AMAZING already and a clever idea Trendy came up with im pretty happy about! :D

@Exglint quote:

@Debs quote:

Only thing i kind of disagree on is the pity timer, re roll rates are uber bad already - market is super overpriced for everything because good good mods are so rare, making them a little less rare will make that perfect tenacity mod go from a months worth of grind of like 70m, to maybe like 30m which is still already a loooot of mulah for like 90% of the player base right now . overall im pretty content with this patch!

I kind of wanted to take this piece right here out of all the posts for two things.

One, I would love for Trendy to do up a chart that shows how much gold was in the game from Dec 12th 2017 until now. Marking each point in time there was a patch, especially trading and the mod drop rate rework. Now a lot of people don't believe this but when you look at it nothing else makes sense. Why is it, after doubling the chances to get 8s, 9s, and 10s the prices for these mods barely moved. Day of that patch going live I got 4 good 10/10 mods, several days since then I have had days like that. Prices aren't going to move unless there is a massive movement in rarity. I fully believe that the rising stocks of gold are to blame here.

Two, these rerolls aren't meant to make mods easier to get, they are for targeting a very specific mod. This is the target farming method everyone wanted, except with rerolls instead of drops. Why does it feel like you could reroll 300 times and not get a 10/10 mod? Have you ever counted how many items you sell when playing solo before you see a 10/10 mod? That would be why the rerolls are the way they are. Also just to add on to the end of your post, if prices move down that much because of the rerolling system, its not because they are more common, because you cant trade items once rerolled, its because no one wants them anymore since rerolling is so easy to get perfect mods. I doubt we will ever see that big of a movement on price from here on.

@Debs quote:

I was thinking more in the way of - i just recently got back up to 70m gold after a looooong time of being below 10m from upgrades and resets, i haven't reset in a couple months now and i play very regularly and have been climbing. Now if i wanted to buy a decent mod like rate/tenacity/shocking rev or any of the more meta mods right now it would take me over a month of saving up for a single mod, and that's not to add the chances of finding someone selling one - and at a decent price at that - now i might be the only one feeling this but i don't want to waste a months worth of gold on one mod. And i cant even imagine the feeling for the people with no/low gold buffs from resets and i have 26 atm. I totally understand not wanting them to be super common but the cost for any decent mod is super high right now, saying 30m for a single mod means its either useless or so common it doesn't matter is kind of exaggerating. 30m on its own is weeks if not months of play time for majority of players already. I honestly don't mind the re-roll system right now it might be very rare but that's how it was intended - to be an extra chance for a better mod and a way to pinpoint farm, which is AMAZING already and a clever idea Trendy came up with im pretty happy about! :D

Ah Okay, I can more clearly see where you are coming from, that was my mistake. I do agree that mod prices are very high atm, but I see the rerolls as a double chance. You can farm for tokens to reroll let's say a Tenacity mod to 10, and while you are getting those you are collecting gold to spend on that Rate mod. I think a lot of what happens is the views are taking at a specific thing and nothing else is considered (farming those tokens and gold, players are getting shards and DM and xp). When you group tasks together we see that we are getting a ton of stuff for free and it seems that its all taken for granted nowadays. In any case, its nice to see that I'm not the only one who can see how much Trendy is giving us :)

@LAWLTA quote:

I would love it if you could share one example of someone asking for incursions in onslaught. Stating that you are working backwards is not a misguided opinion, it is a fact that is proven with the majority of your updates when charts show anywhere from 10-30% of the current playerbase leaving soon after your poor choices in an update. Sooner you realize this, sooner you can have a chance to make this game as good as it could be. None of you working there even push high onslaughts or play tons to know whats needed. You need to consult the top 5-10 players per gaming device and ask them to all give you a detailed description of what they would like to see changed and implemented . Give them 1 week. I guarantee their responses will be far better than what you all could come up with. Also there is no "cool rewards" from this new forced incursion. Just like there is no reason for anyone to push past 80 that you all continue to ignore, but thats a whole other topic in itself.

@Dabeasta quote:

None of you working there even push high onslaughts or play tons to know whats needed. You need to consult the top 5-10 players per gaming device and ask them to all give you a detailed description of what they would like to see changed and implemented . Give them 1 week. I guarantee their responses will be far better than what you all could come up with. Also there is no "cool rewards" from this new forced incursion. Just like there is no reason for anyone to push past 80 that you all continue to ignore, but thats a whole other topic in itself.

Wew this one gun be fast and hopefully sentence by sentence.

Trendy isn't the only one testing the game. Consulting the top 5-10 wouldn't give a wide enough idea of what is needed. Time is precious. Their responses are most likely already known. Everyone I talk to says the reward is being a top player. I agree with the pushing past 80 thing but so many players do not.

That was fun, but for real, Trendy not only does internal testing but they have two player based testing teams, both you can apply to if you are 18+ and are willing to sign an NDA. I'm not going to say everyone will be accepted but in my mind you can never have enough eyes on a new patch. I doubt something goes through that hasn't had the opinions of everyone involved, from bottom to top.

@Dabeasta quote:

@LAWLTA quote:

I would love it if you could share one example of someone asking for incursions in onslaught. Stating that you are working backwards is not a misguided opinion, it is a fact that is proven with the majority of your updates when charts show anywhere from 10-30% of the current playerbase leaving soon after your poor choices in an update. Sooner you realize this, sooner you can have a chance to make this game as good as it could be. None of you working there even push high onslaughts or play tons to know whats needed. You need to consult the top 5-10 players per gaming device and ask them to all give you a detailed description of what they would like to see changed and implemented . Give them 1 week. I guarantee their responses will be far better than what you all could come up with. Also there is no "cool rewards" from this new forced incursion. Just like there is no reason for anyone to push past 80 that you all continue to ignore, but thats a whole other topic in itself.

LAWLTA stayed: “players have been asking for new enemies/mini bosses/bosses for a very long time” ; I would love if you could point out where you jumped to your conclusion? Did you even read LAWLTA’s response? 

Also, to further backup that point, I welcome the inclusion of bosses into onslaught. It Spices things up and requires you to develop new strategies. And if that’s too hard, then maybe tower defence isn’t for you. 

Also, the update has barely been out two days... give it a rest. How about providing constructive criticism, rather than bickering that’s relative to a spoilt brat not getting their way? Point being, nobody likes a moody Margret, especially the devs. They’re trying their best with this game, just for disrespectful, immature players to whine all day long towards them, who also likely haven’t spent a single penny on the game. Also, it’s not forced. They’re not holding a gun to your head demanding you play onslaught, right? No, they aren’t. 

just for disrespectful, immature players to whine all day long towards them, who also likely haven’t spent a single penny on the game. 

1dad48e8d1e7383a45f2a327efe0da15.png

LAWLTA stayed: “players have been asking for new enemies/mini bosses/bosses for a very long time” ; I would love if you could point out where you jumped to your conclusion? Did you even read LAWLTA’s response? 

Also, to further backup that point, I welcome the inclusion of bosses into onslaught. It Spices things up and requires you to develop new strategies. And if that’s too hard, then maybe tower defence isn’t for you. 

Lawlta could've just said the players wanted the game to die and we have no way to check majority of that so I'm not even going to bother with the first paragraph lawlta posted. The second paragraph he said "Players want engaging epic moments with cool rewards"

The dragon looks cool flying around, but is there really cool rewards? Not really. There's also not much engaging except for sit on one spot with a ranged hero and shoot the fires so your defenses continue to work(pray you don't get headstrong assassins). If anything this is just tedious not difficult. This looks like an incursion, I wouldn't mind if the boss just came out of a lane like a normal boss; but you're forced to do this incursion every 10 floors for no real reason. This just seems like a 'you can't afk' floor  just like the original release of siege rollers. To tell him to say 'don't play tower defense' is kind of a dumb statement because it's not the game he signed up for. If he wanted incursions he'd go play those. I don't know much about him but he said he does onslaught pushing, why would someone in late game content want to play tag with a bonfire in this new minigame?

the new boss is whatever but to force this game of incursion tag every 10 floors and in chaos was not a good move in my opinion. Instead of making an incursion dead content they made the brand new map dead content because everyone is going to play the other frost map so they don't have to play minigames.

@LAWLTA quote:

I would agree that we do need bosses. But I see adding an incursion style map is quite out of place for Onslaught. The theme of that gamemode is basically on the Ancients. I think adding more ruins or lost temple style maps would be more fitting.

I would rather incursions being back to it former glory and made to be more engaging and replayable. That gamemode is quite lackluster currently which I can understand why you don't want to put drakenfrost keep there. But I don't want that gamemode to be removed, Mini-games can be fun.

I'm ok with more engaging content there but I think mixing things up a bit too much is a bit off and killing the thematic aspect. As there's the aspect of resetting which doesn't make things fun either.

I hope this is a good constructive criticism.