Sign in to follow this  
giux

Inventory Management, max bags still feels clunky.

Before I dive into the topic I want to congratulate Trendy for the steps in the right direction that were taken in regard to MODS filtering. Very good job! (:

Now I want to talk about inventory menagment and QOL regarding the inventory.

I do understand the need of giving one bag to a starting player that, with the amount of items you drop in DD2, will certainly feel clunky and incentivize them to buy more bags, that's totally fair it's one of the ways to make income in a f2p game. This system would be great if after maxing out bags you would feel like the nightmare of the scavenger would be gone and as a whole the inventory experience was a confy one, but sadly that's not the case. I have maxed out my bags and I have 4 bank tabs + a material tab and I still feel overwhelmed and the inventory management as a whole it's very clunky even after spending the amount of money I did on bags+bank only.

I think the biggest flaw on this system is how MODS and SHARDS are stored into the inventory.

SHARDS:

Shards in end game require you to have 11 of the same to gild it and since they can't be stacked, they require eleven slots which is ~1/5 of a bank/bag tab, considering that it's a slow process to find eleven and there are a LOT of different shards that needs gilding you can easily understand how that will overwhelm your inventory space in no time. All I can say is that my 4 bank tabs are full of shards.

I recall LAWLTA saying that the way shards were coded doesn't allow them to be stacked, or rather they would need to rework the entire thing to make it work so instead of stacking them I would like to propose a different approach. What if we could put the same-type of shards inside the upgrade page, e.g. instead of being forced to keep all these shards in the inventory until we have 10 of the same, we would be able to just put one at a time and then once there are 10 inside, we are prompted with the payment to gild.

MODS:

The MOD system is changing but one thing remains true, a good portion of our inventory is filled with useless gear that has only one good mod inside. That's great at the start but after a while this items start to pile up, in my personal experience I have 4 bags full of 7s to 10s quality mods (this over the course of two months) but no way to stack them. Some of these I'm keeping for the future, some of them for selling etc But keeping one mod per item is a really clunky way of storing MODS. I could do like some people do, thay delete everything that is not a 10/10, but honestly that would take away the fun from the game. Having a 7/8 I can throw into a tower for testing or trying a new build etc is FUN.

We either need a system where we can stack them (like a mod tab or something) or change the current system of thinkering which detroys the item where the mod originally is (I would totally spend 75 medals to stack 3 mods on a campaign item; but as of now that's not possible since if at a later date you need those mods in a different order/place you would need to destroy the other two..)

Shards that haven't been modified should be able to stack, if you modify a stack of a shard it takes one out and modifies it.

@giux quote:

Before I dive into the topic I want to congratulate Trendy for the steps in the right direction that were taken in regard to MODS filtering. Very good job! (:

I do understand the need of giving one bag to a starting player that, with the amount of items you drop in DD2, will certainly feel clunky and incentivize them to buy more bags, that's totally fair it's one of the ways to make income in a f2p game. This system would be great if after maxing out bags you would feel like the nightmare of the scavenger would be gone and as a whole the inventory experience was a confy one, but sadly that's not the case. I have maxed out my bags and I have 4 bank tabs + a material tab and I still feel overwhelmed and the inventory management as a whole it's very clunky even after spending the amount of money I did on bags+bank only.

I think the biggest flaw on this system is how MODS and SHARDS are stored into the inventory.

SHARDS:

Shards in end game require you to have 11 of the same to gild it and since they can't be stacked, they require eleven slots which is ~1/5 of a bank/bag tab, considering that it's a slow process to find eleven and there are a LOT of different shards that needs gilding you can easily understand how that will overwhelm your inventory space in no time. All I can say is that my 4 bank tabs are full of shards.

I recall LAWLTA saying that the way shards were coded doesn't allow them to be stacked, or rather they would need to rework the entire thing to make it work so instead of stacking them I would like to propose a different approach. What if we could put the same-type of shards inside the upgrade page, e.g. instead of being forced to keep all these shards in the inventory until we have 10 of the same, we would be able to just put one at a time and then once there are 10 inside, we are prompted with the payment to gild.

MODS:

The MOD system is changing but one thing remains true, a good portion of our inventory is filled with useless gear that has only one good mod inside. That's great at the start but after a while this items start to pile up, in my personal experience I have 4 bags full of 7s to 10s quality mods (this over the course of two months) but no way to stack them. Some of these I'm keeping for the future, some of them for selling etc But keeping one mod per item is a really clunky way of storing MODS. I could do like some people do, thay delete everything that is not a 10/10, but honestly that would take away the fun from the game. Having a 7/8 I can throw into a tower for testing or trying a new build etc is FUN.

We either need a system where we can stack them (like a mod tab or something) or change the current system of thinkering which detroys the item where the mod originally is (I would totally spend 75 medals to stack 3 mods on a campaign item; but as of now that's not possible since if at a later date you need those mods in a different order/place you would need to destroy the other two..)

Get the gem mine and buy more bags :) I'm just messing with you.

On a serious note though, I also had a lot of trouble with 4. Not so much with 6. Now I feel like I have space that I don't know what to do with especially now with the new sorting and mod quality on items. I do get rid of anything under 7. I found the 1-3 to be clogging a lot of space. I also am going after only a select few shards for gilding but keep at least one of the others...just some ideas until something else is done.

@Eventualcrowd16PC quote:

@giux quote:

SHARDS:

MODS:

Get the gem mine and buy more bags :) I'm just messing with you.

On a serious note though, I also had a lot of trouble with 4. Not so much with 6. Now I feel like I have space that I don't know what to do with especially now with the new sorting and mod quality on items. I do get rid of anything under 7. I found the 1-3 to be clogging a lot of space. I also am going after only a select few shards for gilding but keep at least one of the others...just some ideas until something else is done.

As I said on the OP I already have all the bags, the problem is how deep are you into the game. If you have space it's because you are not saving shards/mods for multiple chars/defenses. Let's say I'm trying to guild my gunwitch dps shards, 5 equipment pieces x 3 shards each x 10 copies = 150 slots. That's already 2 and a half bags full of shards for ONLY my gunwitch. And I'm not considering the fact that at some point you run out of money and you need to keep them there until you have liquidity.

Consider that atm i'm trying to gild my monk dps, gunwitch dps and several shards for my defenses. You can easily understand how all my 4 bank tabs are full of shards and how clunky I feel after spending 35$ for inventory space...

Sorry I meant vaults in addition to max bags + mat not bags. Only $35? :) I get the issue, I am just messing with you. I have a vault for high quality gear/weapons, vault for high quality relics, and all the rest are for shards..not including the max bags that collect everything (with 2 for shards)  and the heroes I don't use. It would be good though if we could just add them to the gilded section as we progress towards a gild.

Having played since early access, inventory is a major issue.  I can understand the need to store multiples of each piece of gear, but adding shards on top of that and crap gear with mod rolls, something needs to change.  It becomes near impossible.

Shards seem like the best place to focus on for me.  Stacking un-upgraded shards or slotting shards in others for gilding would be a great start.

I agree. Shards take up a huge portion of our bags and vaults. 

Now more than ever we are also collecting green mod gears, we need something changed to help us save bag/vault space. 

Maybe a shard vault to stack shards like the material vault?

@gotrunks712 quote:

Having played since early access, inventory is a major issue.  I can understand the need to store multiples of each piece of gear, but adding shards on top of that and crap gear with mod rolls, something needs to change.  It becomes near impossible.

Shards seem like the best place to focus on for me.  Stacking un-upgraded shards or slotting shards in others for gilding would be a great start.

Yeah every major patch they add more and more items to be stored but the inventory space stays the same :(

I agree with you, SHARD storing should be reworked, and partial gilding shouldn't even be that difficult to realize on a technical side. It would be just adding some counters on our maxed shards, that easy.

@DashingSonic23 quote:

I agree. Shards take up a huge portion of our bags and vaults. 

Now more than ever we are also collecting green mod gears, we need something changed to help us save bag/vault space. 

Maybe a shard vault to stack shards like the material vault?

Shard vault would be a band-aid behind a paywall, but reworking how they are stored would actually fix the problem.

@Eventualcrowd16PC quote:

Sorry I meant vaults in addition to max bags + mat not bags. Only $35? :) I get the issue, I am just messing with you. I have a vault for high quality gear/weapons, vault for high quality relics, and all the rest are for shards..not including the max bags that collect everything (with 2 for shards)  and the heroes I don't use. It would be good though if we could just add them to the gilded section as we progress towards a gild.

I get it, it's funny messing with someone trying to bring up a problem on a game.

From what I can see, anyone that has put 500+ hours on dd2, does have atleast 10 bank tab + 7 bags which is a LOT of money spent on inventory only (60$+ if you're smart and you grind it with multiple the gem mines, 90$+ if you buy gems), I feel that's a lot of money to spend on inventory to be 'decent'.

A mod should be like an Infinity Gauntlet. just let the same type of mods be equipped/added to the main mod and have that main mod be 1 slot and 1 item.

for example: the Tenacity Gauntlet would have to have 10 Tenacity stones added to it 

The thing that really sticks out for me, is that players who already bought and own bag space are complaining about inventory problems. That's a sign of a big problem.

Yes space is too much of an issue late game. Shards could easily be fixed by allowing for partial gilding. 5x make one tier better, then two of those 5x shards combine to a 10x shard.

Yes it's f2p and they make money with bags, but as a late game player who has all bags anyway - no need to put even more stress on them, they cannot escape anywhere.