Sign in to follow this  
FridgeD

Can we please fix siege rollers?

hi everyone,

i play dd2 most of the time as an activity alongside studying. my main complain (aside of defense rate drop chance!!!) is the roller issue. whats wrong with them?

1. the rockets haunt you across the map for no reason. really across the whole map!

2. rockets do too much dmg in c7, but in onslaught at higher floors it becomes laughable. wanna fix a lane or got a steam message from a friend? well, your squichy dps is now dead. the dmg of those stupid rockets way too high. 200k+ dmg from 1 barrage of rockets from 1 roller even before floor 100? total bs. i thought the rollers are anti defense, not anti hero? just cut the dmg by 90%. yes, just do it. the identity of rollers isnt hero killing at all, that is the job of assassines.

3. the adept´s bubble does not reflect rockets. yes, they go straight through, doing full dmg.

4. speaking of the adept: what should an ability power adept do against a roller? nothing does dmg. solution: every form of dmg does full dmg (or more), when the cursor is on the weakspot of the rollers. i just blasted your stupid engine with arcane lightning. game over for you.

tldr: the roller is way too good against heros, when it is already too good against defenses. nerfing the rocket dmg by a lot would fix it.

have a nice day :)

ps1.: please dont tell me that bosses are too weak. bastille master and rollers are way too strong, while the rest is just lackluster. ask yourself: how often did you lose bc of bastille master or rollers? and how often to all other bosses combined (ok, chaos 4 boss is strong too)? most of my builds are medium aoe dmg on long paths builds, but i cant even remember the last time i lost to a tuskar, whos hp regen is supposed to be good against that.

ps2.: yes, i know you can dodge rockets by moving or just use tank class, but a: its a loot game which should not require 100% of your attention just to react to 1 type of boss, and b: a game should not dictate your hero choice. have you tried playing huntress or eve on floor 70+ with 3 headstrong assasines on your a...? i mean, i use barb a lot. but sometimes i just wanna use a squichy class without getting deleted by rollers, etc.

Hm, I hate to say but the siege roller is pretty simple to fight against. The rockets are meant to chase you across the map, so beware. The rockets are not massive damages either. And it doesn’t do massive damage to defenses just continuous. As for an ability build character I main an Abyss Lord and I have 120% weak point bonus damage for mods. I right click and shred rollers. 

1. the rockets do dmg, just take a standart c7 squichy hero (huntress, eve, apprentice) and take 2 waves to the face. its is some dmg, but it becomes even more in higher onslaught. most high rollers lanes are just aweful to play against. your dps hero has 350k hp, but 1 rollers does 200k and there are 4 of them. ofc it becomes a piece of cake, once you get a barb. but forcing you to play special classes just for 1 type of boss isnt a good feel.

2. i know, that most heros have tools for rollers. i just take my monk, press 3, press x for pet, roller gone. my point was about heros like adept when played as ability power heros. where your primary attacks wont do much dmg, but your high power abilities dont count as weakpoint hit. so all you can do is swap, which sucks tbh.

Have you ever tried primary attacking with a full ability build Abyss Lord? Yeah... that won’t work. *laughs*

I get where you’re coming from, truly! You can avoid the rockets a good deal as well. Adjust your attack strategy perhaps. 

yeah, the thread isnt really to call rollers stupidly overpowered monsters that ruin the game. its more like they are annoying without reason and playing against them is antifun. the rockets arent needed at all. rollers have their role in game without dealing stupidly high dmg to heros, forcing them to run like chickens to dodge dmg.

but the worst is just forcing you to swap. i really want to play some adept, but in the end, you just swap back to barb or GW to kill bosses. i really dislike that. rollers already keeping me away from afk farming. but then they even limit my choice of heros. ap adept doesnt work at all and in higher onslaught other squichy heros become not viable too. why would i risk dying to rockets or assassines, when i just can play barb, who counters all and everything.

And yes, of course you are right. with the right hero, rollers are a piece of cake. and when i use "the right hero" aka monk, AL, GW, barb, etc it is really easy.

i just want to say, forcing me to use heros (sometimes you really cant place a tower behind them) and then limiting my choice too, is a bit too much.

I'm sorry but rollers are laughably easy and I don't think they will change them. No one strategy is supposed to beat the whole game, you should be adapting to what is presented to you.

@FridgeD quote:

yeah, the thread isnt really to call rollers stupidly overpowered monsters that ruin the game. its more like they are annoying without reason and playing against them is antifun. the rockets arent needed at all. rollers have their role in game without dealing stupidly high dmg to heros, forcing them to run like chickens to dodge dmg.

but the worst is just forcing you to swap. i really want to play some adept, but in the end, you just swap back to barb or GW to kill bosses. i really dislike that. rollers already keeping me away from afk farming. but then they even limit my choice of heros. ap adept doesnt work at all and in higher onslaught other squichy heros become not viable too. why would i risk dying to rockets or assassines, when i just can play barb, who counters all and everything.

And yes, of course you are right. with the right hero, rollers are a piece of cake. and when i use "the right hero" aka monk, AL, GW, barb, etc it is really easy.

i just want to say, forcing me to use heros (sometimes you really cant place a tower behind them) and then limiting my choice too, is a bit too much.

how much hp do your heroes have? 

@Exglint quote:

I'm sorry but rollers are laughably easy and I don't think they will change them. No one strategy is supposed to beat the whole game, you should be adapting to what is presented to you.

you mean using barb? he can tank and kill basically every ground mob and is immune to assassines too. he scale amazingly with HD and AP, while having a super good hero health conversion.

im not saying the adept should be as good as op barb, i just want her to do serios ap dmg to rollers, while her bubble does what it is supposed to do: "Creates a pulsing shield that reflects all enemy projectiles and periodically stuns all enemies within."

@super_slayan quote:

rollers are extremely easy. i can kill one solo in less than 5 seconds

with nuke monk, i can kill them in 1 hit. that wasnt the issue of the thread. it was about the limitation of heros dealing with rollers. the adept has no way other then autoattacking the roller, while her bubble doesnt even work against rockets.

the thread isnt about crying that i cant kill rollers. i have no problem with that on my favs. it was about the design choice to make a) rollers who counter defenses, also able to do high dmg to heros in higher onslaught. b) not giving every hero a tool for rollers.

and yes, normally i use barb against everything and it works, bc barb op. but when i try to switch things up and adept fails so hard, it is quiet frustrating.

@FridgeD quote:

b) not giving every hero a tool for rollers.

When Adept was released her hero damage build greatly overpowered her ability power build. In fact, until mods, an ability power Adept was so trash people were made fun of for even suggesting that it had potential. Why not try making a hero damage Adept? That would put the tool required into your toolbox for killing rollers.

Also I use a HD Huntress and Chi Blast Monk to kill rollers which are both made fun of for being "not of the ideal meta" but I make them work and they are fun to me and different than what anyone else uses. My Monk even uses a Glaive of the Storms polearm which is known to be a uber PoS weapon for dps builds unless you are going AP in which case it is a sub standard build since HD Monk is "So OP". 

P.S. Anything OP I try to get nerfed, which includes Nuke Monk and Barb. I wouldn't assume something about someone unless you know them well.

I'm like 90% sure rollers were created mainly so that players couldn't just afk and had to have something to be aware of haha

Theres spots in every map where its safe to afk rollers. You just gotta find them. Its usually somewhere out of line of sight, on a 'ledge' and next to a wall that has an archway/ceiling attached to it. The red circle of death still gets put under you but the projectile cant hit you.

Edit: When I get some free time I'll post screenshots of some of them

Edit2: Changed my mind on providing screenshots, I dont want my afk time to get 'fixed' :P

Sneaky.  I will certainly be telling the old one and the siege roller about this.

@Dadogy quote:

Theres spots in every map where its safe to afk rollers. You just gotta find them. Its usually somewhere out of line of sight, on a 'ledge' and next to a wall that has an archway/ceiling attached to it. The red circle of death still gets put under you but the projectile cant hit you.

Edit: When I get some free time I'll post screenshots of some of them

Edit2: Changed my mind on providing screenshots, I dont want my afk time to get 'fixed' :P

I think Rollers are easy, the Problems lie when they always get stuck in Doors or There’s not really a spot to put Cannon Balls behind them.  They almost always get stuck and it gets annoying. 

@FridgeD quote:

hi everyone,

i play dd2 most of the time as an activity alongside studying. my main complain (aside of defense rate drop chance!!!) is the roller issue. whats wrong with them?

1. the rockets haunt you across the map for no reason. really across the whole map!

2. rockets do too much dmg in c7, but in onslaught at higher floors it becomes laughable. wanna fix a lane or got a steam message from a friend? well, your squichy dps is now dead. the dmg of those stupid rockets way too high. 200k+ dmg from 1 barrage of rockets from 1 roller even before floor 100? total bs. i thought the rollers are anti defense, not anti hero? just cut the dmg by 90%. yes, just do it. the identity of rollers isnt hero killing at all, that is the job of assassines.

3. the adept´s bubble does not reflect rockets. yes, they go straight through, doing full dmg.

4. speaking of the adept: what should an ability power adept do against a roller? nothing does dmg. solution: every form of dmg does full dmg (or more), when the cursor is on the weakspot of the rollers. i just blasted your stupid engine with arcane lightning. game over for you.

tldr: the roller is way too good against heros, when it is already too good against defenses. nerfing the rocket dmg by a lot would fix it.

have a nice day :)

ps1.: please dont tell me that bosses are too weak. bastille master and rollers are way too strong, while the rest is just lackluster. ask yourself: how often did you lose bc of bastille master or rollers? and how often to all other bosses combined (ok, chaos 4 boss is strong too)? most of my builds are medium aoe dmg on long paths builds, but i cant even remember the last time i lost to a tuskar, whos hp regen is supposed to be good against that.

ps2.: yes, i know you can dodge rockets by moving or just use tank class, but a: its a loot game which should not require 100% of your attention just to react to 1 type of boss, and b: a game should not dictate your hero choice. have you tried playing huntress or eve on floor 70+ with 3 headstrong assasines on your a...? i mean, i use barb a lot. but sometimes i just wanna use a squichy class without getting deleted by rollers, etc.

@FridgeD quote:

@super_slayan quote:

rollers are extremely easy. i can kill one solo in less than 5 seconds

with nuke monk, i can kill them in 1 hit. that wasnt the issue of the thread. it was about the limitation of heros dealing with rollers. the adept has no way other then autoattacking the roller, while her bubble doesnt even work against rockets.

the thread isnt about crying that i cant kill rollers. i have no problem with that on my favs. it was about the design choice to make a) rollers who counter defenses, also able to do high dmg to heros in higher onslaught. b) not giving every hero a tool for rollers.

and yes, normally i use barb against everything and it works, bc barb op. but when i try to switch things up and adept fails so hard, it is quiet frustrating.

dang they should nerf the monk and barb

I really don't see the issue, they are already laughable compared to how they were when we first got them (they destroyed all traps/nodes/auras they rolled over, rockets targeted cores, their hitbox was miniscule and difficult to hit). With the introduction of MODS, they're even easier!

Adept is the only character I can't kill rollers with (maybe someone on the forum can state how), aside from using Hero Damage (urgh) or Flamethrower (urgh).

Easy counters that I've used:

With AP:

Apprentice Arcane Volley spam (quickest) / Manabomb, Barbarian Seismic Slam, Huntress Oil Flash / Searing Shot, Monk Pole Smash / Chi Blast (better than Pole Smash), Abyss Lord right-click spam, EV2 Grav Bots (esp with Big Boy shard), Gunwitch Ice Needle, Lavamancer Molten Core (tricky to use, need some range on it), Mystic Dark Torment, Dryad Corrupt Form Starfall, Initiate Chi Stomp, Barbarian in Lightning Stance + Staggering Shout followed-up with Hawk Strike.

With HD:

Any hero main weapon +/- pet ability that increases HD/trio of rockets

Defences:

Flamethrower Tower, Cannonball Tower (quickest) / Ballista, Poison Dart Tower, Skeletal Blockade under Command Effect / Orc Blockade (easier) / Skeletal Archer, and Obelisk