Sign in to follow this  
Superb_Dog

General Discussion about Defenses

So, at the current state of the game, which defence do you think is out-right the best? Or if there isn't a defence that is the best, which defenses would you have as a top 3 or even top 5?

I'll take a guess on a top 5 in no particular order:

Flame aura - lightning aura - weapon manufacturer - PDT - Earth Shatter.

WM

LSA

PDT 

ES

Fissures 

These are my top 5 but obviously when playing onslaught matching the best tower per enemies is best such as a correctly modded Ramster on frosty lanes or cannons on the magical resistant ones.

I am very happy to have not used my Dryad for 6 months or more so her defenses are off my list even if they are better than some above, I'd rather play as a better active hero as I find the Dryad playstyle bland.

The state of air defenses definitely needs a look though as they are pretty under powered now in onslaught and have no chance against 7 - 10 EMP kobolds and some of the special enemy conditions... sometimes it seems it costs more DU to shut down a flying lane with 20 enemies than to lock down a game ogre lane or something.

In the same boat as Defenso regarding Dryad. I actually put a 75% damage to pierced shields on my squire canons and have been loving it. 

What are the categories for "Best". With just the general Best tag, I think Boost Aura is #1 above all others, no other defense in the game can multiply your attack power as well as this can. Then it breaks down even more by asking, "On what lanes?" In Onslaught and even in Chaos no one thing is best for every situation.

Fair point but name me your fave 5 defenses or 5 in general defenses that you believe?

@Exglint quote:

What are the categories for "Best". With just the general Best tag, I think Boost Aura is #1 above all others, no other defense in the game can multiply your attack power as well as this can. Then it breaks down even more by asking, "On what lanes?" In Onslaught and even in Chaos no one thing is best for every situation.

Watching Juice ages latest video in the boost and it’s going to come right in to my arsenal of go to defenses. Had never understood entirely how it worked and he was spot on in his video where some people live by it, some people say it’s not usable. 

One day I will look into boost aura. Since i'm not confident about the bee's but I do like slime pit.

@Kambien quote:

Watching Juice ages latest video in the boost and it’s going to come right in to my arsenal of go to defenses. Had never understood entirely how it worked and he was spot on in his video where some people live by it, some people say it’s not usable. 

@Superb_Dog quote:

One day I will look into boost aura. Since i'm not confident about the bee's but I do like slime pit.

@Kambien quote:

Boost aura, combined with frosty power, was ridiculous to see in action. Huge combo!

How does frosty power work? I tried it some months ago? but didn't figure it out.

@Kambien quote:

@Superb_Dog quote:

@Kambien quote:

Boost aura, combined with frosty power, was ridiculous to see in action. Huge combo!

It will boost the power of nearby defenses as it targets / slows enemies. Boost aura and frosty power stack other towers such as LSA, FA, Fissures, etc. 

Thank you. That is another defense that I will look into in regards to that shard.

@Kambien quote:

It will boost the power of nearby defenses as it targets / slows enemies. Boost aura and frosty power stack other towers such as LSA, FA, Fissures, etc. 

There are better defenses for each situation (except controlled burn) , but if I could only pick 1 I think it´s still the PDT, as there are no situations where slapping down a PDT would be a downright waste. Including air and rollers.

Frosty Power if one of those misleading shards. It moves x% of its defense power to defenses nearby. Well yes and no, it moves that power to nearby defenses around the slowed enemy, does nothing if the enemies cant be slowed and doesnt technically move x%. I had super buffed a Frost tower to 200k Def Pwr and was only getting about 55k in return then dropped all the super powers which put me at 82k and getting 39k in return. So many things do not apply to it. Final look at it we discovered that only relic and Vamp Emp was giving it anything to transfer, any other bonuses were not moved ie. mods/shards/buffs. Most people considered it a 50% increase in power but if you are moving 39k Def Pwr and the defenses getting buffed have 150k then thats not a 50% increase. Though it still is a power increase and a slow.

@Kambien quote:

I went to watch that after you mentioned it. I agreed with several things in it but there was one thing that was mentioned that I just never agreed with and it wasnt even about the BA or any defense he was using. He showed floor 200+, that immediately made me get bland. This is the thing about this, Why do we push into floors with no benefit and no rewards (or less rewards if you consider gold/xp). 83 and 92 have the last rewards you will ever see in Onslaught, those are the max chance to get c8 amps and Onslaught mods respectively. I dont see a point in gearing defenses for the floors up there especially if you arent going to reset anymore.

The thing to take away from all that though is that there are lots of great defenses in the game and listening to the voices of the masses and choosing the "Best" few will leave you with nothing to have fun with and just mirror copies of everyone else. Explore the other defenses and find something about them that no one else knows and make your discovery great.

Well said, Exglint! I love finding things away from the meta that work as good or better than the meta. Not a fan of WMFG being able to just own all. Love mixing towers. Just wish Abyss Lord had more than Ramsters! Have read some great ideas for Archers. And the walls could be more of a go to if their attack speed was natively increased before attack speed ascension. 

A lot of great towers! Just know that meta isn’t the most dominant.