Sign in to follow this  
Martin Arcainess

Remembering tower placement for farming maps.

So DD2 is a grindy game and what would make the game more fun? Being able to replay the same map again BUT it remembers where your towers where placed. 
This would make farming the same maps easy, quicker and more fun to do.

So basically you place your towers, clear the map, wave 5/5 and then an option of Farm, repeat etc option which when you choose will reload the map from Wave 1/5 with all towers placed at Grade 1 again.

Thoughts?

I think this would be a step down the wrong path. A tower defense game with no building? They should instead reward players for doing creative builds. 

Idea: 

When on third or fourth win (can´t remember which one activates the win streak bonus) when loading next map the game randomly selects any tower or trap that when used on this map, gains bonuses, ie xp/gold/materials or maybe a small chance to cause confuse or other CC. 

The game will hereafter randomly select a bonus tower (of a hero you own) on each new map in the win streak. One should be able to decline the bonus with a yes/no option.

I think you are both right, but i have to side with Martin on this one. I would also very much like this option. With the absolute insanity of how much grinding is forced on us just to get simple building blocks - i see no value in running around and building THE EXACT SAME LAYOUT for 15 straight maps. Sure, i can "mix things up" but in the end grinding is about speed/efficiency, as there is zero challenge. Spawn hump a few auras on anything under C7 for an instant win, and maybe a single tower or an Obelisk for clean-up. Having to repeatedly build something without challenge gets real old fast. But hey - you want that Destruction shard (or like 60 more), or DS, or DR (and 60+ more of each) - then you have no choice but grinding dozens if not hundreds of hours on mindless maps. The way TE has setup their game forces your hand to do this with huge needs for certain shards, MODs, and ampules, while giving you abysmal drop rates or others ways to acquire. Let's not even begin to discuss resets... 

I have been quite verbal on the forums for along time about how this structure needs to change. Since the first day that gilding was announced, i pointed out the huge numbers needed were way too far out of alignment for the average player, especially for shards all heroes use, and then they further reduced drop rates after that!!!!  I doubt i will ever see a gilded Destruction shard, until it is no longer the meta and something else is nerfed in its place. I am still hunting for enough of them to even put one on each def i have. 

But in light of no changes coming to that system - having ways to better manage the grind sounds awfully appealing to me. If i have to play Dungeon maps for a week straight, just to have enough citrine and hammers to even apply some of my MODs (let alone ones i do not have yet), then not having to actually run around and rebuild the maps would be helpful in that task. 

A much more appealing answer would be that their is some value in switching things up, and some challenge that requires you to do so - but there is not, currently at least. Having  very late end game players forced to do countless hours of C1 for shards and motes = extreme burnout. I already and completely AFK'd. Why not take the next step? Heck, even have an "(quickly) auto start next map" to this so that we can farm maps without even having to touch the controller. Then i can go at least take a smoke break, go to the bathroom, and maybe do something of value while endless c1 maps droll on the background.

To your point Majean - it is a step in the wrong direction, but it is an answer to a current issue. I would rather there not be the issue in the first place, but since it is here - some relief to the grind would be appreciated. Maybe some of the threads on using dust to craft certain shards will be heard, or being able to target farm specific shards/MODs, and then some of the mindless grinding will not be necessary. until then - i fully support basically an automated mode for grinding. 

TE - this is not meant to be a long rip on you guys. I hope the real takeaway here is that DD2 needs less mindless grinding in it. Then something like what Martin has asked for wouldn't be needed. 

I slightly disagree, but I do agree with the way you're thinking. It shouldn't be able to remember where you place the towers. There's a way easier solution to it, and that is just to do infinite runs. Go into a map, with 1/infinite rounds. Saves time and code. But then again, where would the grind be? It would pretty much remove the whole concept in my opinion, since you can just enable a macro which says "A-G-W-G-D-G-S-G" in order to stay in the same place, while still being active and continuing the rounds. 

If this is introduced, next thing is people wanting an auto G feature and auto replay feature so they can let the game play itself and only check in every couple of hours, or days. There would be no actual playing left. The game needs to be more engaging and less grindy we all agree on that, but lets not take a wrong turn for the worse.

saving the construction would be great. for example: build the defenses and have an option to save the assembly. on all maps I would have a construction saved. very cool. It would be fun.

it doesn't take long at all to build a map to grind because if your farming you probably have good towers so this doesn't need changed just my opinion though 

@LawTR!BAL [Bank] quote:

But then again, it kinda removes the whole purpose of the game mechanics. 

What game mecs? Farming C1 with C7 Towers?

I get what people are saying but it can be put in as an optional choice. 

But the amount of C1 farming that needs to be done and having to redo something so simple as building makes the game more boring than fun to do.

i also want auto building. i hate rebuilding many times over. with my limited playtime, it sucks that a good chunk of that time is spent building the map over and over.