Sign in to follow this  
Cymmina

Roll back the Moss Hornet (Bee) AI

The hotfix on November 7 (Isle of Dread Hotfix 4.1.1) made adjustments to the AI of the Dryad's defenses. I assumed this was intended to fix targeting issues on specific maps that were introduced on September 26 (Isle of Dread). Prior to 4.1.1, Hornets were usable. Now they are not. I set up a c7 expedition last night in Molten Citadel using the same layout I've always used and pressed G while I went to go make a pot of coffee. I came back and found one of my trees had been destroyed and I had lost.

The primary issue I am seeing is that hornets are not pursuing targets that have "passed" their nest, even though they are still within range. Let's say 4 mobs come out of the spawn and you have 3 nests. The hornets will attack 3 of the mobs until they are either dead or out of range. Meanwhile, the untouched mob strolls past the nest. If there are no other mobs ahead of the nest, the hornets will attack mob #4, otherwise they will go after the nearest valid target.

With the AI the way it is now, there's no reason to use range shards in the World Tree. You may as well plant the hornets next to the tree, because the only way to prevent mobs from being ignored by the hornets is by using a blockade to stop them from going into the hornet's blind spot.

We've currently got a bug we're fixing with hornets where they have targeting issues if enemies are at a different height than the tower placement.

Are your towers at the same height or different? They may be one in the same issue-wise. If not, we'd like to get it fixed.

i had no problems with bees after TE changed the way they target enemies but this last update seemed to really mess them up. i watch them fly off the map away from enemies then re spawn at the nest only to fly away from enemies into the map again . they will do this over and over sometimes and seem to act different on every map . i use other defenses with bees on some lanes but the last few days i stopped using them all together and actually took all my gilded shards off the bees. 

bees have always flown into the map for me but it seemed like more of a visual bug before . i always elevate my bees somewhat , place them on hand rails and such , never on the ground in a lane. this seemed to reduce the chances of having lazy bees in the past.  they are definitely acting funnier than ever. i was going to make another post on this but since lawlta sees all...

i started using cannon balls more and now they shoot in 360 degrees lol. spinning backwards and shooting god knows what. sometimes when bosses die they go into the air and shrink up inside this sphere . i had skeletons do this and re spawn in another lane the next wave.  

Hmm well this might explain why i had a bad day in onslaught and why perhaps things feel different on trials.

I'm glad it's not just me.

@LAWLTA quote:

We've currently got a bug we're fixing with hornets where they have targeting issues if enemies are at a different height than the tower placement.

Are your towers at the same height or different? They may be one in the same issue-wise. If not, we'd like to get it fixed.

How big of an elevation difference are we talking about?  I have seen cases where enemies are ignored completely, even when the nest is on the same level as the mob.  It is a lot less common since the hotfix, but that's not what I'm describing here.  This is more a case of the 3 lady orcs that have been wailing on my tree for the past 30 seconds (or worse, running past my tree) are of lower priority than the 3 goblins that just walked out of the gate.  If there are no other targets, the hornets will go after the lady orcs rather than sit there idle.

In the Throne Room (regular or siege), I place the hornets on the ledge with the tables for the bottom two lanes.  Since the AI adjustments, I haven't seen any issues with the lower right lane, but the lower left lane almost always has problems.  Aside from the stairs in the right lane, the ledges look the same height to me.

922EB43E08470F02EE7F8FC7190A878490C42D18

I have noticed the same thing on various c7maps i use to farm with just bees just fine. Mobs are just strolling by and going to the tree and waking on it until dead and 3 hives such as you have above and bees just sitting doing nothing.

Ok well on one of the maps, the bees just attack the furthest mobs even though i would place one extra bee behind the rest. That bee hive still went to the furthest but did for a second come back to attack the other enemy. Then it decided to leave that enemy to me. The bees in general seem less effective.