Sign in to follow this  
kingoftime2013

getting specific shards with shard dust?

I feel like buying 1 random shard after dusting 10 shards is kinda bad. if we could buy a specific shard for 50 shard dust it sounds much better to me. dusting 50 unwanted shards is alot.. so I think getting 1 shard that you want after 50 unwanted shards is pretty fair?

(especially for us who grind ancient power, we really need some help gilding shards, since they dont lose upgrade levels on resets=not wasting all of our gold)

I love this idea. I have seen it pitched before. And I hope it gains some traction.  This would help alleviate some of the shard grind as well as the Onslaught gold drain. 

TBF, this idea comes up once every two weeks to one month and each time the players go back and forth deciding what is or is not a fair price for this and what is or is not hard about getting shards.

Imo, we do not need this as it is not hard to get shards and completing a gilded shard is not all that hard. What usually stands in the player's way is they save DM for heroes and without that limitation it is easier to get the shards you are looking for.

@Exglint quote:

TBF, this idea comes up once every two weeks to one month and each time the players go back and forth deciding what is or is not a fair price for this and what is or is not hard about getting shards.

Imo, we do not need this as it is not hard to get shards and completing a gilded shard is not all that hard. What usually stands in the player's way is they save DM for heroes and without that limitation it is easier to get the shards you are looking for.

and what do you think about the current shard dusting value? you think getting 1 random shard for 10 dust is worth or it should be changed somehow?

@Exglint quote:

Maybe I am missing a piece of the puzzle. I thought the math on shard drop rates was pretty heinous. For example, if you wanted a particular shard, which is one of 55 shards in that chaos tier, then it is reasonable that you need 40+ shard packs to have a decent chance of getting the one you wanted. Gilding that shard means 400 shard packs. Gilding all three shards for one defense puts you over a thousand shard packs. Figuring the required shard packs for six fully gilded defenses puts us into an astronomical number of shard packs. 

Is this not right?  Is there an easier way?  Will spending defender medals on shard packs really reduce these figures down to a manageable level?  My questions are not rhetorical. I am genuinely interested in finding a better way. Any insight is appreciated. 

@kingoftime2013 quote:

and what do you think about the current shard dusting value? you think getting 1 random shard for 10 dust is worth or it should be changed somehow?

I think it was nice to get a free shard after having gotten ten shards I don't want. For doing between 7-10 maps if you at least go to the consecutive bonus, which takes approx. 2 hours, most players will get a free shard about once per day (assuming you play only that much or at least that much). Lowering it any would make it into a vending machine and would just be spewing shards out. If it was lowered to 5, for example, and you did 10 maps consecutively then you would have 17 shards. If none you wanted then you have 3 bonus shards plus 2 dust, and if those 3 bonus you didn't want then you have a 4th bonus shard. So in just cutting it in half you have quadrupled the amount of free shards players can get. If that was a change Trendy would like to take Id rather see dust gone and every fourth win (ie. 4, 8, 12, 16 consecutive wins) is 2 bonus shards and I wouldn't have to juggle dust anymore.

@SELL SW0RD quote:

Maybe I am missing a piece of the puzzle. I thought the math on shard drop rates was pretty heinous. For example, if you wanted a particular shard, which is one of 55 shards in that chaos tier, then it is reasonable that you need 40+ shard packs to have a decent chance of getting the one you wanted. Gilding that shard means 400 shard packs. Gilding all three shards for one defense puts you over a thousand shard packs. Figuring the required shard packs for six fully gilded defenses puts us into an astronomical number of shard packs. 

Is this not right?  Is there an easier way?  Will spending defender medals on shard packs really reduce these figures down to a manageable level?  My questions are not rhetorical. I am genuinely interested in finding a better way. Any insight is appreciated. 

I understand you were using it as an example but my inner mathematician feels the need to fix it either way. The most amount of shards in any tier is chaos 5 with 38, chaos 4 follows behind with 35. Given those numbers on any shard pack opening you have a 2.63% (c5) and 2.85% (c4) chance in getting one specific shard. These shards are not determined until opening and are not affected by previous rolls, thus you will always have that chance of getting one in specific. Now this is a computer system so there is always the possibility of getting repeats even though it seems statistically unlikely, but it does happen. This was a previous roll on a chaos 2 shard pack I had

I wish I had a screenshot of this to prove I saw it as I don't remember where I saw it, but I remember someone from Trendy saying (summarized) "Gilding isn't something that is meant to be done in hours or days but more along the lines of weeks and months". I do however know that in Discord Lawlta said (exact and searchable) "Gilding shards are meant to be an end-game player focus". Depending on your definition of "End-game" as it pertains to this game, I would say most players aren't even close to this point and are rushing into and through the Ancient Power system.

I cannot speak for Trendy but knowing how things go, if they do implement the ability to use dust to get a specific shard, it won't be something like 50-100 dust, it will most likely be something like 250-500 dust and far outside the reach of most players and will lead to more disappointment than satisfaction.

"Will spending defender medals on shard packs really reduce these figures down to a manageable level?" Technically, no, because the chances of getting shards are unchanged but it will reduce the time because you are getting five in one go and can be repeated quickly if you save up. I can't speak for everyone but I can gild any specific shard in about 1.5 to 2 weeks fairly regularly by grinding the tier and using DM to get packs and using all the dust from that tier only playing five hours a day for five days a week. I also passively only go to gild a couple shards at any given time and only target one specifically if I really need it which helps with DM cost and space.

Exglint, thanks for the info!  I’m glad to know the number of shards per tier is less than I previously thought. My experience matches up with your claim:  I can get a shard gilded in about a week if I focus on it. I just wish there were an easier way. 

Thanks again!

@Xuhybrid quote:

There has been quite a few ideas with the shard dust. They just need to be actually useful somehow.

I am not against having another purpose for dust, but I do think getting a specific shard is too much. Off the top of my head using 50 dust to limit the pool to Defense or Hero specific shards would be a nice idea without making it too expensive and keeping balance.

@SELL SW0RD quote:

Exglint, thanks for the info!  I’m glad to know the number of shards per tier is less than I previously thought. My experience matches up with your claim:  I can get a shard gilded in about a week if I focus on it. I just wish there were an easier way. 

Thanks again!

Sorry for the text wall though, I know when responding with short answers I get even more questions but if I give a lot of detail it tends to answers question before they are asked :P

@Exglint quote:

actually I like the idea of shards being hard to gild and take long time to do so.

the main reason I want to gild shards quickly is not for the extra power, but for saving gold during AP grind.

I know I can use just 1 defence and spam flame auras and save gold

but  its boring to use only 1 same  defence for thousands of maps, and boring is the opposite of what you want from a game :D

@kingoftime2013 quote:

actually I like the idea of shards being hard to gild and take long time to do so.

the main reason I want to gild shards quickly is not for the extra power, but for saving gold during AP grind.

I know I can use just 1 defence and spam flame auras and save gold

but  its boring to use only 1 same  defence for thousands of maps, and boring is the opposite of what you want from a game :D

I would've been real cool with Ancient Power resets if it did not take away so much. Your last statement really hits the spot. I and a bunch of defenders before, used to think gilding is some process that helps you with ancient power but unfortunately it's meant for more endgame grinding. 

If shard crafting is too much, I'd like a way to gild without rolling with dices as shard farming is. If it takes an exorbitant amount of new materials, so be it.