Sign in to follow this  
specialK

Have you stopped due to the crazy amount of time of farming?

How many players have stopped playing, due to crazy amount of time required, to farm for shards, mods, gear, etc?

It is no secret this game is one of the grindiest mofos out there. For me it often takes out the fun, having to deal with sorting inventory, replaying countless maps just to get that one shard, and generally not being a very friendly game in terms of progression.

So I would like to know how many players have quit or have stopped playing due to this fact, or are even considering throwing the pc or console out the window because of the extreme times of rng and farming.

And if this a thing the community would like to be addressed?

I too am a bit bored.  I will slow down till the next major update, playing only the dailies to farm medals.

Too bad we don't have a major update every month squire_small.png

Since starting the resetathon my complaint is not with how repetitive it is, but just how dull it is to only use a single defense because it's too expensive otherwise. The farming wouldn't be so bad if placing a WM wasn't just the best route.

@specialK quote:

It is no secret this game is one of the grindiest mofos out there.

Actually, DD2 is one of the lighter grind games I have played. Even DD1 is a heavier grind, as I recently found out.

@Racthoh quote:

Since starting the resetathon my complaint is not with how repetitive it is, but just how dull it is to only use a single defense because it's too expensive otherwise. The farming wouldn't be so bad if placing a WM wasn't just the best route.

You are so right, this is also one of my main gripes. The two issues are just two sides to the same story.

@Exglint quote:

@specialK quote:

It is no secret this game is one of the grindiest mofos out there.

Actually, DD2 is one of the lighter grind games I have played. Even DD1 is a heavier grind, as I recently found out.

However in DD1, at least for me, I did it with a smile on my face, and I couldn't get enough. On DD2 I swear to god, I sometimes say, "if I have to play one more map..."

I am done my resets and actually enjoying the "Grind" re-gearing everyone and setting up mods.

trendy should make a poll asking how fun are AP resets and ask how exciting there game is lol. [[21159,users]] pretty  there is so much tedious activity in the game just begging to be fixed but i dont understand how they are not noticing the bludy tyrannosaurs in the room, hows does frustration and mundane  gameplay equal to player stratification/retention ..maybe i am missing something.  i try to come back now and then but i kinda gathered that the Free-to-play model will keep the game as is.     

@Racthoh quote:

I'm in a resetathon right now and honestly it takes away much of the grind for me personally.  I have a fairly loose schedule with milestones and it doesn't feel like much of a grind. I'm just playing with imperfect mods with the exception of one. I get to try new stuff out, and there is always a challenge that I know I can overcome. I've only done up to floor 62 and I know at some point of time I will hit a wall. When that happens, I'll just scale back and help a few people with there c30-C44 onslaughts. I'll rather this than play mind-dumbing c7 maps that I know by heart over and over again.

The old DD1 maybe, but what about the new DD1? Those players that are balancing and updating the game have changed it greatly from what I remember it being like. I went and played NM HC MM for 45 mins last night and just from that short playthrough I could tell DD1 isn't the same as it was back in the day. I plan to try it out again this weekend to see how annoying the gear farm is since in that 45 mins I never saw anything above mythic drop and since its the hardest content that is interesting considering you need something better than that just to do the content.

These days while playing DD2, i often wake up to a controller in my hand and a booted out of the game message. I have just a few mastery levels to go for all stars, so i stopped to grind out dome Destr., Def Rate, and DS shards so that i can fill out those few defenses i never play with...and i am so incredibly bored. Playing the same maps over and over, on easy difficulties, just holds so little fun any more. Mostly it is because i get so little rewards. I only have an hour to play one night - well i'll kick out a bunch of maps and get....nothing. I'm like, why did i even bother? MODs causing you to have to inspect every single piece of gear is taxing. In DD1 i could farm Balsticus a dozen times in a row, and it was both still challenging, and i had high hopes of getting that 1 perfect drop. In DD2, no farm map is a challenge, and i fully expect to get pages and pages of crap. Having to play Dungeon maps over and over again just to have enough freaking citirne to even use my MODs....ugh. And this is all without the horrid reset system IMO. I love the new maps and want to play them more, but i am forced to play other levels to farm materials or dailies, so i barely ever have the time to play them. I see people on the forum playing 8-10 hours EVERY DAY. WTF? I have a job, pets, a house, and a wife. I am lucky to have 1-2 hours in a day to play games at all. If this is becoming the kind of game that requires 100 hours just to get one perfect MOD, that is of no use to me since it is not one i even want to use, then DD2 is moving away from a game that continues to hold my undivided attention. 

I just want to have fun playing the game. Getting stuff was part of the fun, but amend that to - getting good stuff. I'd trade my pages and pages of carp for one decent item. Quality over quantity. I am drowning in all the quantity in DD2. Meanwhile, i have not seen a Def Rate shard in so long, i am not certain they still even exist. I can't play with a bunch of my defenses simply because i can't get the basic shards needed to make them viable, let alone even start to think about gilding them - as if i even have the room after holding so many other shards at 7/10, killing my inventory. 

Please bring the fun back. Give us Incursions on every difficulty, and have a new C8-like difficulty that scales to the top player on the map - so it is always a challenge. Have levels dedicated to certain drops of shards or MODs so that we can farm specific ones, and actually make the progress we want to, not at RNG's mercy. Have something beyond Onslaught for end game content - like an Omega Mode!!!! Something worth all this grinding, as i am beginning to lose sight of the point of it all. Put some joke weapons in the game to lighten the mood. Give the Gunsmith a Pie launcher, or the Squire a balloon sword. Have more seasonal events - why no Halloween event??? Although i do like the town reskin, but please cut the cricket volume by like 75%. Have more player titles. Where are monthly missions? What no endless mode? Why do pest still suck and there is no way to farm higher quality ones apart from RNG?  Why the $%$&# are are still only like 15 trophies (PS4) associated with this game???? My fave game is boring so much i am passing out while playing it. My mind is not engaged. I am not having the fun i could be. It makes me WANT to play another game, because at least then, i would feel like i made all this progress. I feel like i have been stationary in DD2 for a very long time, just running in circles. Beginning to feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day, and i am ready to lay on the tracks in front of the train to see if it will end it all. Nope, play another C4 map....ugh.  

I love this game and this franchise, but i feel it went from a fun reward loot game to a very dull grindfest. I never felt that way on DD1. I hope some fun and challenge can be brought back to this. Or maybe I am just not the target audience anymore and i should move on. Time will tell, but most humans can only run in a circle for so long before they get dizzy and pass out. I feel dizzy... Sharkman_insane.png

I think if we had more things to do than just climbing floors, there would be a much bigger interest in the game. I like resetting, I like grinding, but as others have said it just gets too damn repetitive. 

In old DD1 as you say, I do not know what was so special about it, but I honestly wouldn't mind, because I could do Survival if I wanted to, I could do Campaign, I could do challenges, I could do events, I could just hang out in my tavern and have people drop by to shop, the only thing I can do in DD2 is climb floors and grind for shards/mods. And for me when is so much RNG involved it is not even a grind, it is an rnging. So I wonder if this is in general Trendy's viewpoint, "here it is, if you like it play it, if you don't hey there are so many others games to play" or if it is "we like what we have, we are open to feedback and see if this is what players like". 

I acknowledge I might be the minority. I just want to see if other players feel the same way, or if it really just me. I haven't played the new DD1, so it might be worse. But I do not like to compare it with DD1 and say, "oh DD1 is worse, so ok DD2 .. am ok with it". I want to see if I can improve DD2. If I can't and it really just me, I am more than happy, to just shut the hell up.

@Racthoh quote:

• This is some true wisdom, and i feel the same ... the grind does not seem that much compared to other games (i just found out you can skip C1 to C7) ... in fact ... if the number of Shards would be lowerd below 9, than gilded Shards will become trivial and non important ... Gear ... it's the same thing, it's even easier to grind almost perfect stats.
  • The real Grind is Perfect MODS ... think of how many Traps we can use = that's how many Tenacity we need ... so aside this aspect ... i wish i could use more Defences on AP Resets.

Emoji_Monk.png

• My idea to make perfect mods is to combine 3 lower quality to increase the quality of one MOD ... it's the same system used for Shard to Gild them (and this system is applied in almost all games, one way or another_

@emilian quote:

• My idea to make perfect mods is to combine 3 lower quality to increase the quality of one MOD ... it's the same system used for Shard to Gild them (and this system is applied in almost all games, one way or another_

I genuinely like this, but please not with an absurd amount of materials required

Nowadays, I don't really play the game now that much due to some circumstances. (My higher-end laptop has just gone "coma" and I'm currently using a lower end computer) Also the fact now that this whole thing is a really large grind that's really heavily dependent on RNG. I'm kinda losing motivation too. I don't even hit daillies now. When I do log in, I'm just hanging out at the cosmetic section. Also I think I do regret attempting to progress at my alt account as I do feel the bite of RNG for shards again. Funny thing is, a perfect piercing dropped there.

Like some fellow defenders says, how one make it through the grind is beyond me. I wish to have more average-playing time content. I mean, having events that keeps you occupied is nice enough. (No, Prove Your Mastery will never cut it. That's a horror show.)

I'm really starting to feel unappealled by the reset aspect now. It's really restricting. To those who like the currency management aspect, I have no idea how you like it. Obviously different strokes for different players. However, isn't it tiring to go for the more efficient builds again and again. I do really want more freedom. There is literally no room for experimenting when you're on the grind with the most cost-efficient builds.

Don't a lot of us prefer aspects where we gear ourselves up to prepare for the next challenge that the next update give and once we experienced it, there can content left for us to use to prepare for the next update. It's a much simpler and very appealing to me. Before you say that reset does something similar, I will say that it isn't. Instead of grinding to prepare for the next content. We're have a path of a very repetitive grind and a much Mega-Grind to relevel all our gear. And if you want to do so again, you have to go on that path again.

On the topic of removing or ravamping AP that could put off players that put so much time on it. Is it worth it not doing that at the expense of the system putting off more and more players? The concept of Ancient Power is really nice, however, the reset aspect of it is just not cutting it. I personally prefer it to be revamped. To achieve high levels of it and recover, you need an INSANE amount of time.

Instead of resetting all the loot there, perhaps it could be a new separate side progression that as you put more time into it, boost our current progression and earn unique rewards from it. (I feel an idea cooking up, might go into more details at another thread)

And literally to be honest. I really do miss that days of Nightmare during the time of early access. (I think I will have to make another thread about that.).

I'm just not feeling it currently.

@Jaws_420 quote:

I see people on the forum playing 8-10 hours EVERY DAY. WTF? 

I feel the same way too. There's always be hardcore players. But seriously, there's always the average demographics to consider.

I love this game and this franchise, but i feel it went from a fun reward loot game to a very dull grindfest.

Yeah, that's one of the biggest aspect I love about the days of Nightmare. Collecting weapons and also figuring out where to collect and the joy of acquiring one even if it's not a perfect combos or level.

@Jaws_420 quote:

I love this game and this franchise, but i feel it went from a fun reward loot game to a very dull grindfest. 

@Paloverde zfogshooterz quote:

I'm just not feeling it currently.

This is so sad, because you two are people that really care for the game, and to see guys like you burned out because of the direction of the game is so depressing. I relate to every single word you both write, and I feel the same.

M. 

I would really love 

survival with better pets 

Getting defense rate and power not only low chaos tier

Nightmare mode with unresetable c8 gear 

Better drop rate for the most wanted mods and shards

More maps

Something like a boss rush

:))))))) 

I haven't stopped playing yet, but ya, the game is definitely beginning to feel like work rather than fun. It's not so much the drop rates on mods as i really still believe they are the cherry on top. U can still eat the sunday and it's yummy even if ur out of cherries. You don't NEED them to enjoy and play this game. What's killing it for me is the massive amounts of materials it takes to get anything done. 

Even if the mod i WANT drops or i find it for sale, i usually have to upgrade it before i can tinker it. Oh wait, now i gotta farm tons of maps to get the resourses and especially  mote before that can happen. Oh cool, i finally found a c8 amp. I can take something to the next lvl. Oh wait, no, i gotta farm an insane amount of mats before that can happen. 

Grinding floors or c7 for gear, gold, and xp is fun. Grinding lowers tiers mindlessly for hours for materials is not fun. Been there done that, progression is about moving forward to new challenges. Right now it feels like 2 steps forward 5 steps back.

Imo, there comes a point when you just have to stop and weigh the options. After 9 years of paying a sub to play Eve online, I didn't like a lot of the changes they were doing and one day I just stopped and asked myself if that was still the game I wanted. At the basic level yes I flew a giant spaceship and killed things but the changes were killing me and I decided to quit playing. That was years ago and I haven't gone back.

This is a grind game, just like DD1, even less than DD1 technically from what I saw recently. I would say if you don't like the grind then I would move to a game that isn't a grind because every single grind game out there that I have played is worse and more money wringing than DD2. You may enjoy it for a time but it will wear you out faster. Maybe the grind genre just isn't for you anymore. 

I'm not saying this is you but something you have to sit back and decide for yourself. I do know there are only so many free to play games out there before you start having to pay for your entertainment, and when you start doing that those games are as is, which means you have little voice to get changes. Trendy does a great job of listening for changes and trying as hard as they can but they can't change people.

@024noi quote:

I haven't stopped playing yet, but ya, the game is definitely beginning to feel like work rather than fun. It's not so much the drop rates on mods as i really still believe they are the cherry on top. U can still eat the sunday and it's yummy even if ur out of cherries. You don't NEED them to enjoy and play this game. What's killing it for me is the massive amounts of materials it takes to get anything done. 

Even if the mod i WANT drops or i find it for sale, i usually have to upgrade it before i can tinker it. Oh wait, now i gotta farm tons of maps to get the resourses and especially  mote before that can happen. Oh cool, i finally found a c8 amp. I can take something to the next lvl. Oh wait, no, i gotta farm an insane amount of mats before that can happen. 

Grinding floors or c7 for gear, gold, and xp is fun. Grinding lowers tiers mindlessly for hours for materials is not fun. Been there done that, progression is about moving forward to new challenges. Right now it feels like 2 steps forward 5 steps back.

^this 

i sound like a broken record at this point , the amount of motes needed is a real buzz killer. the game is grindy enough already without farming motes. 

i was daydreaming of a survival mode yesterday . 30 waves , wave 25-30 would be around floor 80 difficulty . basically onslaught without the mutators . chances to get c8 amps and more . I have my 998 talent caps and now i am slowly getting my characters back together so i can finally use them again . 

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1553856394 <- my tinkered campaign gear :(

i have come to grips with the reality i may never use this stuff . 

@Exglint quote:

Imo, ...

Fair enough, it might just be me, but it seems like a few people have also highlighted the points I made, and even added a few more, so I do not know for sure if it is just me or the direction the game has taken. Anyway it is good to have opinions of everyone so we can have a more diverse discussion, and I appreciate the time you take to elaborate on your opinion.

@Exglint quote:

Imo, there comes a point when you just have to stop and weigh the options. After 9 years of paying a sub to play Eve online, I didn't like a lot of the changes they were doing and one day I just stopped and asked myself if that was still the game I wanted. At the basic level yes I flew a giant spaceship and killed things but the changes were killing me and I decided to quit playing. That was years ago and I haven't gone back.

This is a grind game, just like DD1, even less than DD1 technically from what I saw recently. I would say if you don't like the grind then I would move to a game that isn't a grind because every single grind game out there that I have played is worse and more money wringing than DD2. You may enjoy it for a time but it will wear you out faster. Maybe the grind genre just isn't for you anymore. 

I'm not saying this is you but something you have to sit back and decide for yourself. I do know there are only so many free to play games out there before you start having to pay for your entertainment, and when you start doing that those games are as is, which means you have little voice to get changes. Trendy does a great job of listening for changes and trying as hard as they can but they can't change people.

Normally i'ld agree with u. I'm 50 and have been a gaming since pong. I've played every style of game under the sun. Not just vidoe games mind u, i played dungeons and dragons for years, played magic the gathering and other card based games, played countless chess matches and bord games, when i say i'm a gamer, i mean it. I luv games. The longer they take the better. Played numerous RTS games back in the day. Some of which after modding took hours just to finsh base building and upgrading before i'ld finally crush the enemy. I'm a completionish. I try to get or do everything that's possible in a game. Spend hours and hours plotting and planning if i'm away and can't play.... And still this game is wearing on me. 

To much time spent in tiers where i'm super op and boring as heck to play and yet the only way to progress m y gear and such is to back track and play those lower tiers for days. If all mats were equal and i could farm the tier i should be playing i'ld be happy as a clam to grind away.  Like it was before the introduction of materials. 

I do however luv the systems that came with it. Gilding, mods, advancing gear beyond it's tier. All good stuff. I just don't wanna HAVE to play c3 or c6 to use them. Imo we don't need different tiers of mats. Mote should just be mote, rings should just b rings. Let me play the floors and tiers i wanna play. The only difference between playing 100 c3 maps and 100 c7 maps now that i'm done with AP is fun. C7 and up = fun. C6 and below is boring as watching paint dry.