Sign in to follow this  
RenegadePrism05

The defender medal grind is just insane

The one thing that hurts this game is the grinding, it is just insane! I've seen many people covering Chaos 8 amps, mods, and other stuff, but defender medals is another thing that helps and hurts the grind. Doing daily missions is the best way to get defender medals, but you only get like 300 per 2 maps, only once a day! You need like 7-10k for a useful pet, and it is just ridiculous. Even with bonus missions giving you 600 defender medals, those are like once a week!

My ideas

• New game mode
  • rare enemy that gives loads of medals
  • old onslaught mode with a defender medal reward
  • double daily rewards, but make them a bit harder
  • new daily missions
  • changing prices of stuff like pets and heroes
  • AP resets giving absolute tons of medals

Please fix this, I am really waiting to get a new hero, but those shard packs just add onto the price!

@playertt quote:

Play chaos 1 expeditions it gives 25 defender medals its easy and adds up quick 

Still too long, getting only 25 medals a game is still a pain, no matter how much you do it. Yes, I can get destruction shards, it still isn't enough medals. 25 x 400 = 10,000 and you know what that means? 400 games till a new hero, and still need to do more to get other things like hero slots, that way I can have a Dryad for slime pits, another for hornets, and another for trees. Dryad 1 comes with the hero, Dryad 2 costs 2,000 medals, and 3 is another 2,000 medals. And I still need shards for each defense

@RenegadePrism05 quote:

@playertt quote:

Still too long, getting only 25 medals a game is still a pain, no matter how much you do it. Yes, I can get destruction shards, it still isn't enough medals. 25 x 400 = 10,000 and you know what that means? 400 games till a new hero, and still need to do more to get other things like hero slots, that way I can have a Dryad for slime pits, another for hornets, and another for trees. Dryad 1 comes with the hero, Dryad 2 costs 2,000 medals, and 3 is another 2,000 medals. And I still need shards for each defense

I agree, in the earlier days I use to do that grind..over and over...I don't have time for that now, I have the hour and a half I committed to daily,  more only if I have extra time. It's good that you raised this. These days, I would rather wait until the next day and go play another game than have to play 8 boring expedition games just to get 200 medals for tinkering. It wouldn't even be that bad if I could play onslaught with mutators but that gives you no more defender medals if you replay. The defender medal grind has definitely reduced some of my play time.

@Eventualcrowd16PC quote:

@RenegadePrism05 quote:

@playertt quote:

I agree, in the earlier days I use to do that grind..over and over...I don't have time for that now, I have the hour and a half I committed to daily,  more only if I have extra time. It's good that you raised this. These days, I would rather wait until the next day and go play another game than have to play 8 boring expedition games just to get 200 medals for tinkering. It wouldn't even be that bad if I could play onslaught with mutators but that gives you no more defender medals if you replay. The defender medal grind has definitely reduced some of my play time.

Yup, I'm not saying the grind is so insane that little can do it, im just saying it takes way too long and most would rather do something else. Time to get dragoli- wait, that will take me like a week of nonstop playing

It would take you 292 games over a week with the weekly bonus and daily bonus 300 medal average to hit 10,000.

Two weeks would be about 184 games.

Three weeks is 76 games.

When defender medals were introduced they implied it was set so that you could earn 1 hero a month without paying real money. This seems right in the ballpark still.

Best I can hope they are looking into a new monetization system that gets away from gamble boxes and moves to season pass or something. Maybe they won't have to rely on the grindwall for income as much.

With dailes, weekly, and grinding - i saw a new hero about every 2-3 weeks. Always reroll to try and get the 450 dailies. 

I did not find that to be excessive or too bad. Takes waaaaay longer to get a destruction shard these days IMO. I thought it paced quite well on hero unlocking myself. I tended to get a new hero just as i fully played with and got to know my new buddy. 

But hey, that was just my experience. It was one of the things i actually felt dropped at a decent speed in DD2. After shards and mods, DMs felt easy to me. 

@wandrecanada quote:

Three weeks is 76 games.

• Short Answer: it takes you 50 maps.
  • Long Answer ...

This is not true ... it's missleading to calculate 300 medals per day ... a better way to calculate is per week and than split into 7 ... so you get 50 % chance to get a 450 and 50 % to get 300 Daily so ... 300 monday, 450 tuesday and so on ... that is 375 only from daily ... add the 600 Weekly and split into 7 that is +85 Deff Medals per day... we already have 460 Deff Medals per day, without doing ANY maps.

After you do some maps (only minimum = 20 minutes to play per day) i mean do only Daily maps... that is 2 or 3 maps per day = 50 to 75 Deff Medals ... that is a medium 60 per day

Emoji_Monk.png Ok let;s put that together 460 + 60 = 520 Deff Medals per day with 20 minutes per day.

10k Medals divided by 520 is 19 days ... but if you play 60 to 90 minutes per day you will do more than daily so you can get that 10k Medals in 2 weeks EASILY.

• i am fine with current Deff Medals earnings but it could be nice to use mastery again ... C1 would be 30 Deff maps ... C2 would be 35 ... C3 40 ... C4 45 ... C5 50 ...C6 55 ... C7 60 Deff Medals    + it can increase depending on map dificulty ... for example that Unholy Catacomb from C6 can be 100 Deff Medals since we all had a hard time winning that map.

i partially still agree with the thread creator, the old onslaught / endless mode was awesome and challenging, i really would like to see it back but in a way that you can start from a higher wave from the start.

Also, Defender medals arent too hard to get, i mean either you invest alot of time to farm them together with shards or you just do your dailies and weekly. its your choice how you earn them but it would be nice to see that you dont have to use defender medals to upgrade or reroll stuff as it really takes too long to earn them for that

@emilian 

I was mostly using 300 as a worst case scenario. If you roll 450 and reroll is generous this number goes down. However RNG is what it is and I often see 200 in my daily queue and sometimes I forget and only grab 200 that day.

However it's important to remember that 50 maps is only true if you add weekly bonuses to it.  Otherwise the number gets very high very fast. So this is less about maps and more about timed bonuses gating progress.

The real numbers should be calculated in weeks for new heroes. One hero per month with map gains going towards item modification. That's probably the most accurate for a player progressing normally.

If it takes 2 weeks to get a new hero, then that means that we can't use proteus to get new mods. For example, if I have 9,000 medals and I am almost at a new hero, then I find a 9/10 Tenacity, now im at 8,800. Now i find a good melee boom I want, then now I am at 8600. Then I get sick of shard farming, and get 2 shard packs for a rate shard, now I am at 7,800. In this example, you could lose many medals just to make your defenses a bit better to advance in onslaught, when you could have a new hero. I can't save for new heroes, dragolich, and get other things like mods at the same time. 

Also, I love the idea of getting more medals for each chaos, great thinking!