What's the most efficient way to Ancient Power Reset?

I've never resetted, I'm currently at ~400 ascention level and at floor 53 in Onslaught.

Using the math TE gave us by resetting I'd be at:

Talent Cap Increases = (53 - 30) * 4.16 + 400/50 = 103.68

Minimum Ascension = ((53 - 30) * 4.16 + (400/50)) * 3 = 311.04

Now I was wondering, should I push as much as I can before resetting for the first time to get the most Talent Cap or should I reset asap since i'll be 250+ on Ascension ?

Also, after the first reset should my priority be resetting as much as possible to get passive points or should I try going to floor 45+ each reset to get my asc cap up?

Interested in this too, I'm at 550ish Ascension and Floor 59 but haven't reset yet. Onslaught is starting to feel as though I won't be able to progress much further without resetting due to talent caps etc. 

I guess you may also want to not fully upgrade any gear you don't absolutely have to between resets? I'm not sure if that's possible though?

Also consider any shards you may want to gild. That'll save you some gold in the long run. 

@Temrael quote:

Interested in this too, I'm at 550ish Ascension and Floor 59 but haven't reset yet. Onslaught is starting to feel as though I won't be able to progress much further without resetting due to talent caps etc. 

I guess you may also want to not fully upgrade any gear you don't absolutely have to between resets? I'm not sure if that's possible though?

I feel you, I'm at floor 54 and it already feels like my defenses are pretty ineffective, but also I'm missing bees/ramsters so probably that's also something that could help against frost/cyborgs lanes which are usually what I lose to.

Yes, usually you just upgrade 1-2 medallions for the defenses that need a specific mods (like Shocking Rev for wm) and use medallions you drop on the fly for the rest of the defenses. This generally will mean that your defenses will be weaker after you reset than what they are now especially since the AP passive isn't game changing it's just for min-maxing really..

@Racthoh quote:

Also consider any shards you may want to gild. That'll save you some gold in the long run. 

I gilded fortification for walls and speed boost for my dps hero as of now just because campain shards are easier to find. I plan on gilding a set of destruction/range/rate but it's a long rng-based grind, so idk if it's worth waiting.. it could take a month or more for that.

@giux quote:

I feel you, I'm at floor 54 and it already feels like my defenses are pretty ineffective, but also I'm missing bees/ramsters so probably that's also something that could help against frost/cyborgs lanes which are usually what I lose to.

Earthshatter with Earth Toss can help a lot with Cyborks. With defense rate shard, max ascension, and a rate servo you can keep a lot of enemies juggled in the air.

i'd recommend pushing to as far as you can go before resetting.

I've just hit my 2nd roadblock at floor 84 (no resets yet) and I don't have any gilded rate/strikes/destruction either :'(. Managed to overcome my first roadblock at floor 69 by getting some cool tips from the community (here and on discord) to better adapt to Omega Waves (setup Sand Viper for ranged-bosses and refocused my LSA on melee-bosses, replaced my ES with cannons when a lane has Cannon Ogres or Shield Goblin Gorbstruck - facing backwards, etc.).

I'd recommend farming some c4-c6 mats in the interim as well, as after a couple of resets those become the most relevant to bring yourself back to c7/floor 28 ASAP (if you're investing in skipping those levels). Also gold. $@#$ Gold. I'm terrible at using the trade system effectively and I'm simultaneously gilding any shard I manage to get 11 of, which has racked up an investment of a fair few Defender Medals and Gold - think I've gilded well over 20 shards so far, maybe 30. i.e. i'm perpetually broke :D.

I was wondering on that too,

I got 1 AP and floor 94 atm. It started to be a some challenge and most of it is fail due to weird bugs. (pathing, mob spawn at WM node etc.

But i like grind and still saving that extra shards to glid with next reset. About medals, i will save later for girl monk. And spend rest of it for modding and getting pet eggs.

Since i dont have gilded shards, i am saving mods that are good quality and its a lot of question which to use on which tower..

For your case, i would suggest push a little more unless you have some good time to push fast AP resets with 2-3 towers. But on long run with more floor, you gain more power points to towers from ascension..

@malf quote:

i'd recommend pushing to as far as you can go before resetting.

I've just hit my 2nd roadblock at floor 84 (no resets yet) and I don't have any gilded rate/strikes/destruction either :'(. Managed to overcome my first roadblock at floor 69 by getting some cool tips from the community (here and on discord) to better adapt to Omega Waves (setup Sand Viper for ranged-bosses and refocused my LSA on melee-bosses, replaced my ES with cannons when a lane has Cannon Ogres or Shield Goblin Gorbstruck - facing backwards, etc.).

I'd recommend farming some c4-c6 mats in the interim as well, as after a couple of resets those become the most relevant to bring yourself back to c7/floor 28 ASAP (if you're investing in skipping those levels). Also gold. $@#$ Gold. I'm terrible at using the trade system effectively and I'm simultaneously gilding any shard I manage to get 11 of, which has racked up an investment of a fair few Defender Medals and Gold - think I've gilded well over 20 shards so far, maybe 30. i.e. i'm perpetually broke :D.

Yeah this is also a big problem/concern of mine - if I reset I can't really have many medallions with mods that specifically deal with a certain type of enemy because that would cost an absurd amount of gold to have at each reset. Also can't really use hypershards..

So I guess what I'm saying is that the only choice is to push floors now then reset at a fast pace and finally when that's done make a multi purpose build with good mods to go on really high floors.

@giux quote:

I've never resetted, I'm currently at ~400 ascention level and at floor 53 in Onslaught.

Now I was wondering, should I push as much as I can before resetting for the first time to get the most Talent Cap or should I reset asap since i'll be 250+ on Ascension ?

Also, after the first reset should my priority be resetting as much as possible to get passive points or should I try going to floor 45+ each reset to get my asc cap up?

I just recently did all of my AP resets to reach 999 talent caps.
All were completed since the Isle of Dread update.

Here is my results and my 2 cents.

My first reset was Floor 59 and ASC 350.
After my resets I only upgraded 1 relic, this was my Weapon Man relic.
This was all I needed to climb back up for next reset.
Each climb I reset immediately when I reached the min floor required, regardless of my current Ascension. (all resets were < Ascension 400)

To reach my 999 caps, I am now AP19.
You can reach the 999 cap with fewer resets by climbing higher each reset.
This is personal preference, and entirely up to you.

For me I felt reaching 5/5 in the strong Defense Ancient Power talents was also important:
5/5 Defense Power, 5/5 Defense Range, 5/5 Defense Crit Chance, 5/5 Defense Crit Dmg
I want my towers to be as strong as possible for end game onslaught.

I will reset 1 more time only for my own sanity. 
Stopping at an odd number AP with 95% xp, 95% gold ect, would drive me crazy.
AP 20, 100% bonus xp, 100% bonus gold, feels more complete.

IMO the current AP system is terrible.
However for players trying to reach full potential it is a necessary and mundane process.
It could have been implemented in much differently in a way, a way that felt good, or felt fun.
I could talk much more about this, but not here and not now.

My advice is if you decide to go through with AP:
Prepare for a long boring repetitive climb.
Do all of them at once and get it over with.
It took me 200+ hours of AFK and pressing G.
Find a TV series, movies, another game, or something else you enjoy during this process.
You don't want to burn yourself out before it over, so don't sit and watch the waves go by.

Goodluck!

*edit spelling/format*

@BarefootNate quote:

@giux quote:

I

However for players trying to reach full potential it is a necessary and mundane process.
It could have been implemented in much differently in a way, a way that felt good, or felt fun.

Find a TV series, a bunch of movies, or something else you enjoy during this process.
You don't want to burn yourself out before it over, so don't sit and watch the waves go by.

Goodluck!

*edit spelling*

I am with you 100% on this. This system in it´s current state was a terrible, terrible idea. It is not even an ounce of fun. Sometimes one has to wonder if the devs have even tried playing their own game? 

I´m so sorry Trendy to be so blunt, but I have always been very honest about my opinions. Still love you guys, but things need to be said.

@MaJean quote:
@BarefootNate quote:

<snip>

I am with you 100% on this. This system in it's current state was a terrible, terrible idea. It is not even an ounce of fun. Sometimes one has to wonder if the devs have even tried playing their own game?

I agree. I'm doing everything possible to delay resetting. I just can't make myself reset all that gear, shards, hypershards, etc. that I farmed ... I don't mind the time investment aspect, but I do not relish the reset of gear/shards/hypershards aspect.

I wish they'd have either:

1. locked all existing gear, shards, hypershards and required you to farm up to c7 each-time to unlock it.
  2. left the gear, shards, hypershards as-is, and always require you to climb from floor 28 to floor 58 (or higher).
  3. some other suggestion that leaves gear, shards, and hypershards as-is but still requires a time-investment from the players to hit the next reset.

@BarefootNate quote:

@giux quote:

I just recently did all of my AP resets to reach 999 talent caps.
All were completed since the Isle of Dread update.

Here is my results and my 2 cents.

My first reset was Floor 59 and ASC 350.
After my resets I only upgraded 1 relic, this was my Weapon Man relic.
This was all I needed to climb back up for next reset.
Each climb I reset immediately when I reached the min floor required, regardless of my current Ascension. (all resets were < Ascension 400)

To reach my 999 caps, I am now AP19.
You can reach the 999 cap with fewer resets by climbing higher each reset.
This is personal preference, and entirely up to you.

For me I felt reaching 5/5 in the strong Defense Ancient Power talents was also important:
5/5 Defense Power, 5/5 Defense Range, 5/5 Defense Crit Chance, 5/5 Defense Crit Dmg
I want my towers to be as strong as possible for end game onslaught.

I will reset 1 more time only for my own sanity. 
Stopping at an odd number AP with 95% xp, 95% gold ect, would drive me crazy.
AP 20, 100% bonus xp, 100% bonus gold, feels more complete.

Find a TV series, movies, another game, or something else you enjoy during this process.

Goodluck!

*edit spelling/format*

Thank you, very insightful response. (:

If each reset is one AP point, theorically you would need 70 resets to max out all the passives. How worth is it?

I know it's probably personal preference but still I feel that reaching AP20 and using the points for defenses passives seems the less stressful way to go. I honestly don't wanna make this process too lengthy because in a way I like perfection so I will probably never make a medallion with 3 mods or upgrade my hypershards if I know I'll need to reset in the future.

@giux quote:

If each reset is one AP point, theorically you would need 70 resets to max out all the passives. How worth is it?

I know it's probably personal preference but still I feel that reaching AP20 and using the points for defenses passives seems the less stressful way to go. I honestly don't wanna make this process too lengthy because in a way I like perfection so I will probably never make a medallion with 3 mods or upgrade my hypershards if I know I'll need to reset in the future.

Is it worth? that's up to you.

For me? No

The onslaught floor you need to reach gets exponentially higher each reset.
Here is the post with that info.

For the 20th reset I needed to reach floor 59.
For me that was doable with only one upgraded tinkered relic.

If I push much further It wouldn't necessarily take longer to climb and complete a reset.
However I will need to start paying attention, start having to dps, also will require more upgraded relics and shards, so therefor more expensive.

No idea the floor you would need to reach for 70th reset, I'm sure its over 300.
I couldn't imagine going through buggy Lost Temple a few hundred more times.
I would love to get all of the passives, but i am content with 20 for now.
I'm going to hold out here until things are fixed/changed.

We all know the system needs work.

@BarefootNate quote:

@giux quote:

Is it worth? that's up to you.

For me? No

The onslaught floor you need to reach gets exponentially higher each reset.
Here is the post with that info.

For the 20th reset I needed to reach floor 59.
For me that was doable with only one upgraded tinkered relic.

If I push much further It wouldn't necessarily take longer to climb and complete a reset.
However I will need to start paying attention, start having to dps, also will require more upgraded relics and shards, so therefor more expensive.

No idea the floor you would need to reach for 70th reset, I'm sure its over 300.
I couldn't imagine going through buggy Lost Temple a few hundred more times.
I would love to get all of the passives, but i am content with 20 for now.
I'm going to hold out here until things are fixed/changed.

We all know the system needs work.

Im pretty sure they cap'd the highest floor you have to reach at 80 and your highest starting floor at 50! :)

i reached the  maxed talent caps so im done ap reset my advice for ap reset is don't upgrade anything just play onslaught to get gear faster because its based on floors not item level 

I know I'm not the best comparison but I got to floor 105 without Ancient Power. This isn't something you should jump into super fast early on, AP resets are like the last part of the game. This is also a grind game which by definition is designed to take a ton of time. Personally, I think players are trying to get into this way too early.

@giux quote:

The higher your minimum ascension, the easier its going to be when you reset (since your towers are going to be stronger without any need to level).  

Your talent cap really doesn't matter until you are done resetting since you are NEVER going to hit the maximum during the reset loop.

Since you only need to upgrade one trinket each time you reset (in order to take advantage of the minimum Onslaught floor for fast re-gearing) the slowest and least fun part of any reset is going to be AFK farming gold and upgrade materials to re-level that trinket and any shards that you use for your resets.

In other words, your priority should be to determine whether you want to grind out the gold/materials for future resets before you start the loop or whether you want to take the time doing it during the loop.   Anything else is going to depend on your builds and whether you are having trouble with the difficulty increase or not (and you wont have trouble with the difficulty at all if you get your hyper shards before you start the loop).

I'm at AP18 at the moment and can say that 1 reset and more are possible in a day if you have 2 good towers. First you need to reach at least onslaught lvl 55 for high enough ascension lvl when u reset. Next you just need upgrade the 2 relicts of your 2 best towers and you can easy win the first maps after reset. Then you pick up the items and use 1 relict that you find for your walls. You dont need upgrade it. Then you have okay walls and 2 good towers that should do the Job for the first 15 AP resets easy. 

All you need are the gold and materials for upgrading your 2 tower relicts. 

Good luck and have fun ´´;..;`` DD2 is the best game ever :)

@giux quote:

@Temrael quote:

I am AP20 atm and stop. here what you need to know

1. push as far as you can. atleast floor 80-85. i reset at floor 104.

2. have atleast 30mil gold

3. have a friend to carry u on base floor or use a lot of mats.

4. gilds shard help with less cash per reset.

5. use at little towers as you can. i use only weap mfr and PDT  for all of my resets.

6. find a tv show to watch. it going to be a atl east 600 hours grind to AP 70 (caps talent)

Anyone have numbers on how much mats it needs to upgrade one relic from reset to max?

@Krro quote:

Anyone have numbers on how much mats it needs to upgrade one relic from reset to max?

1 amp of each tier, 40 plain motes, 50 shiny motes, 4 epic item specific mat, 20 pristine motes, and 2 mythic item specific mat.

This goes from fresh reset to max c7. In the case of relics you will need 4 ruby clusters (epic item specific mat) and 2 citrine clusters (mythic item specific mat).

Exglint Thanks!

A question if you don't have a perfect tenacity what tower would you go for as main tower to do resets? 

I'm one of those players who collects gear for progression instead of upgrading a piece of gear to C7. (A.k.a, I don't have a perfect tenacity.)

So the towers I use are (aside from WMs with no shocking revelation), Cannonballs, Ramsters, PDTs and Skyguards. I just keep the tower needed to a minimum and enough to counter the spectrums.

I've never used flame aura in a long while, so I wonder, does it perform better that WMs in the reset runs?

Even without a Tenacity I would still go with FA and just reroll any maps with cursi-kaze, most if not all Cyborc lanes can be built around and they can deal with air as well. I do have 1185 min asc though, so I don't see why cannons couldn't also do what I want them to, and I could spam them on every lane with pierce. PDT could also carry early resets fairly easy but bosses concern me with those so instead of running into a possibility I just skipped that idea.

Even with all I have though, as I head up to the upper 30's I have Boost Aura backup because my FA only have 590k dps on tooltip at tier 1 and they sometimes need something more than tier 4. I also have a boss stopping Huntress that can force any boss to stay in FA as long as I want if there are no other bosses that need my attention.

Unfortunately, resets are more than just what defense you use. There are many things that go into it and this is only really half of my strategy/planning that I did before starting. (Not to mention that I started last Monday and I'm already only 2 resets away from being done only playing 5 hours a night Sun-Thurs, so planning paid off)

@123theman123 quote:

1. push as far as you can. at least floor 80-85. i reset at floor 104.

That's very impressive, is that the new floor 104 (i.e. since the Isle of Dread expansion), or the old one? I'm not sure what the old floor 104 would be equivalent to these days, maybe 50ish? I'm not trying to take anything away from your achievement, obviously, just want to check I'm understanding.

I'm at new floor 59 at the moment, and if I reroll endlessly I might scrape past it (only to get stuck at the next Forgotten Temple floor though hehe).