Sign in to follow this  
syruswind

The Lavamancer problem....

FULL DISCLAIMER HERE, i am not a end game defender yet so i may not be entirely true by what im going to say right now so it is basically just my OPINION. It could be right or wrong so please comment down below for anything you guys would like to say to me. I'm fine with that.

I played Lavamancer for almost a year and damn, i love him for it. The Lavamancer is has 2 hard hitting defence, 1 Stupidly broken wall, 1 awesome range volcano to end with and besides It is definitely a fun defender to use but is it good?? Well, kinda.... He is my primary defender to chaos 7 and i succeed it. The journey is tough alright, but for me is definitely worth it as i really really do like him. I've gone pretty lucky too on the chaos trials as i struggle because of the proton shift update and it helps a bunch!! So yes, i could say I'm pretty lucky.
Alright back to the topic, although the Lavamancer is a fun and good defender to use.... However, he is inconsistent as hell(no pun intended). Most of the defences that he builds is pretty not practical actually. It hurts me a lot to say this but, the defences he builds almost could be replaced by something better. But with a little fix or work on his defence he will be as good as the META defenders. I couldn't say about his own DPS yet as i haven't play more about the other defenders but for me is kinda okay~~ is not too shabby. So, im not going to talk about his skills and dps. But if u guys would want to discuss his DPS im okay with that, but mostly im going to talk about his defences so HERE IT GOES.

[Fissures of Embermount]

Once i'm talking about this particullar defence your mind must be popping out with "Is Flame auras or Fissures better?" Here is the pros and cons for these 2. Flame auras have a maximum attack rate at 0.31s and could hit flying enemies while Fissures only have 0.38s and couldn't hit flying enemies.So Flame auras gets 2 points. But, Fissures has a better range and it could be build at next to each other while Flame auras couldn't. So Fissures get 2 points. So far is 2-2. Now, fissures could replenish the Lavamancer that build it his mana resource. However what about the other defenders? is nothing. It even couldn't replenish the other Lavamancers their mana resource.Funny right? So generally one Flame aura has better DPS then one Fissure. But then there is a Lavamancer mains' trick which is the mod "Seismic Flames" is pretty good. You just need to build at the entrance of the enemy waves then you could burn them for (5-70)seconds. So u don't need to build another fissure or flame aura for it unless u need higher dps.Sadly, I'm not saying that this build is more better than the generally flame auras but this is still viable.In conclusion, Should we change the DPS of the fissure? Well for me yes, due to fissures couldn't hit flying enemies it should hit ground enemies harder then. The biggest problem i have right now is the mana resource which is really awkward. And it feels selfish too.

How would i fix it:
Increase the fissure dmg by (10-15%).
I would change for the first 3 fissures to be Tier 0, cost 0 DU and no dmg at all. Like this you could replenish your own mana resource without spending DU. Then, you could upgrade it to Tier 1 for 30 DU and it reverts back to the Fissures we currently have now. The fissure after the third one will act normally as well at Tier 1 with damage.

[Maw of The Earth]

Oh my maw, my favourite defence walls in DD2, they change this big boy a lot. First they fixed the attack rate bug, then they buffed the cost from 80 to 60DU. Next, they nerf their maximum attack rate from (4.5s to 6s). Then they buffed his size. Overall right now, is not enough. You see, the maw cost 60 DU which is pretty darn lot, and is not rewarding at all. I take the same totem from the maw that I'm using and put it in the squire blockade and here is the result:
Squire blockade (cost 30 DU) - 8,069,145
The Maw of The Earth cost (60 DU) - 13,467,335
Hmmm.... so if i build 2 squire blockade 1 at the front and 1 at the back, altogether it has 16,138,290hp. And The maw is not even close with that. What? Where is the missing 3M+ hp? Alright, maybe we have to look that Maw that has its own offence capability. Maybe is just me, so let's talk about that. The maw has a CC that "chilled" enemies(that is what it is written although i think they should find a better word for it). It taunts the enemies to attack themselves which is very very good BUT is super duper inconsistent man. I see a lot of cases that enemies that got "chilled" were never attacked although there is a bunch of enemies right there. I see another case where enemies got attacked but weren't receiving dmg after the CC. Plus, they haven't fix the visual bug where the Maw is just shooting at thin air. Oh yeah, do you know we also have the shard "Crumbling Stone" where enemies receive 20% more dmg which is nice, and explode on death dealing 250% of defence power. Excuse me? defence power? Even the shard "Electric fingers" for abyss lord use Defence Health. I find this very funny. EDITED: And one more thing i find it awkward that the maw could target flying enemies but could do nothing to them so I propose a solution.

How would I fix it:
Increase the Maw health as the same as two 30DU walls health.(since the width is not the same as two 30DU walls so i think is only fair to have its health)
Fix all the bugs on the Maw(visual effect, enemies not hitting each other, enemies not receiving any damage after the CC)
Increase attack rate back to 4.5s.
Change "Crumbling Stone" explosion dmg from Defence Power to Defence Health.
When flying enemies got "chilled" and fall to the ground, all ground defence could target the "chilled" enemy. (This bring more utility to the Maw, is not much but is something)

[Oil Geyser]

Actually overall this defence trap is awesome currently. The only problem I have is the slow effect. It cancels out the slow effect when the enemy receive Fire damage. Also, they should buff the oil-burnt CC effect too. Felt that is very underwhelming.

How would I fix it:
The Slow effect still remains as it receive Fire damage.
Increase the oil-burnt effect(2x the current Fire damage it receives maybe? I'm really not sure about this one but I'm confident that it needs a buff)

[The Volcano]

Ahh the volcano, this defence is very unique as you only can build 1 per character. You can build this as a heavy hitting tower from far far away or a wall that deals damage. Personally i build it as the heavy hitting tower. Many people still don't like this tower and i wonder why. So, the problem i found is that the projectile speed for volcano is too slow. It takes around 3 seconds to hit a target around 8500meters, which is very slow. The attack rate itself is fine. But im really not sure about the damage and DU of it. Maybe one day if they really buffed the projectile speed then i only can get to decide for myself.

How would i fix it:
Increase the projectile speed of the volcano by 100%
Increase its base range from 4000 to 5000

THE END

That's it for my opinion about the Lavamancer. Phew, took me 2 hours to think and write about this. I really appreaciate for any feedbacks so cheers!!

Sincerely,
A normal defender who is concerned about the Lavamancer XD

I don't own lavamancer, so correct me if I am wrong on this, but anyways, here is what i feel about him.

Maw of the Earth

I agree that all bugs should be fixed, and since 1 Maw can only defend one lane, yes, it should have double heath.

Fissure

The damage doesn't need an upgrade. Although it costs more to place like 4 next to each other, that will get you a ton of damage anyway. I think that you should only get to place 1 free fissure, but the rest should be the same.

Oil thing

Ah, don't know about this one.

Volcano

Answer to question: People say it is too expensive and it can only cover part of a big map

Projectile speed buff? Nope. It would look really weird and wouldn't help too much. If you think that it means more dps, its still firing at the same rate, so all it means is that it can hit an enemy earlier. Don't know about the range, can't give thoughts.

Remember that I don't own him, so correct me on anything wrong with this.

Sincerely, A random dd2 player that doesn't have captain bacon

No tower can be "free"  you can have what 50 hero cards? Yeah I'd make 40 lavamancer and cover the entire temple map with free fissures.

@Lagmonster quote:

No tower can be "free"  you can have what 50 hero cards? Yeah I'd make 40 lavamancer and cover the entire temple map with free fissures.

I think he said the first free one only replenishes your hero mana for lavamancer and does not do dmg.

@Flashtzu quote:

@Lagmonster quote:

I think he said the first free one only replenishes your hero mana for lavamancer and does not do dmg.

It used to be that you could only place 2 fissures, but they are both free. I think that now, it should be that you could have 1 free one on the whole map, not 1 free one per hero.

Sorry for the late replies everyone, u guys have been lovely!! The developers listened? they buffed the Maw's health and im super excited about it!!

@Flashtzu quote:

@Lagmonster quote:

yep thanks for clarifying it!!