Sign in to follow this  
Uchihia

Onslaught Gating

so i took a good three months break from the game, upon returning i noticed   they introduced multi player loot bonus feature, iam think yeah this sounds cool . Fast forwards 5 days and i am in the exact same situation  3 months prior , no one joins your game because of the gating system, whats the point of dividing the community in an already diminishing community and to further add insult to injury you add cooperative  play bonus loot feature that holds no value 50+ floors up. old DD was flooded with players..... so guys any new on trendy sorting gating out ? 

The DD1 incentive for multiplayer (MP) was brilliant. There was no merchant you can just buy weapons from (top tier ones i mean). If you wanted good loot, you had to play the "incursion" map tons of times to get a good drop. If more than 1 person joined - your odds of better gear went up with each addition!!!! Who doesn't want that?!?! Even with that, at 4 players, i often got crap to drop, so it was no guarantee by any means. Then - once you got the item, you could drop it on the ground for others. So again, incentive to play with others - you may get their leftovers. I gave away so many Balsticus. So many. Love spreading the joy. There was no reroll or advancement, so it you wanted top gear (and don't we all), you had to play the top level....a lot. Each map had one weapon you had to play to get. Also, a few of the maps were designed to really only be multiplayer. Remember the extra map where its just you and a whole field of kobolds rushing you, and no towers? Without 3-4 people...impossible to play. And there was no real reason to play lower difficulty levels. No farming materials (because no one reset your gear back to zero). Once you hit top level, you played as many 4 player maps as you could for good gear. even campaign levels were played a ton. Final dragon stage? Played it all the time. 

I was sad to see DD2 do away with most of that system. For WAAAAAYYYYYY too long there was zero incentive for multiplayer on DD2, apart from freaking impossible solo mastery maps. MP was actually a deterrent, as things got harder. At least now we have more exp. and get more legendaries. It is at least a step in a better direction. But small steps get small changes, and small applause. The carrot on the stick is not very good yet overall, so no one is chasing it much. More than before? Yes...but not by that much. Looking back again on all the ways DD1 promoted multiplayer, and you can see how far there is to go still (if MP is an actual goal for DD2).  

At a min - i REALLY wish the "better gear" probability incentive would come back. I also think the Wayfarer should be eliminated and all Incursions should be playable on every difficulty level. I hate to say it...but reroll (on gear) should go. I am using that, but it feels like a cheat. Maybe i just miss that Balsticus farming. We already do a ton of grinding - why not grind for better (specific) weapons? And on a difficulty that is not mind numbingly easy? Plus, Assault was an awesome game mode that DD2 is sadly lesser for not having. 

Back to OP - gating is a symptom of a bigger issue. That issue is how the MP experience ties into the overall gaming goal. In DD1 it felt like MP was always meant to be a part of every map. in DD2 it's the solo train to lonesville.  Most likely that is why we ended up getting the Wayfarer and Rerolls and such, but isn't that just sealing the deal of a non-MP experience? Honestly, i am not sure DD2 can correct the MP issue, at least to a level we saw in DD1 at this point in its game lifecycle. I really hope it does though. I miss those fun 4 player days where everyone was good, and i could easily kick out those who detracted, and we all worked towards a common goal - The best Balsticus ever!!!!! ha ha ha 

I think the blame is being thrown in the wrong direction here. With 1 map floors there is no real gating anymore. If someone is in a public match prior to wave 3 then others can join. This was a fair implementation for players of both types, those who are running the match so less likely of leeches and those who join who are less likely to have no matches showing. As mentioned there are bonuses in place to increase chances at gear and mods and bonus xp to make up for the increased enemy health.

There is just one thing that Trendy has no control over that really controls how much multiplayer is out there to be had. The players themselves. Truth be told I'm one of those players that refuses to play multiplayer in Onslaught outside of having ONE friend come along. Someone I trust, someone I don't mind playing with, and most importantly, someone I know can hold their own. I refuse to let anyone build for me because I don't need the carry, I refuse to let anyone build any Dryad or WM or ES, I mostly refuse to play with randoms.

I am one of the uncontrollable factors Trendy can't fix and many share my opinion. You can do whatever you want to the game but you can't force me to play with people I don't want to play with. I don't believe there is any major gating keeping players from playing together and I especially don't believe we should go back to the Nightmare Era of DD2 or DD1 style of multiplayer where you can carry someone who has played for 10 mins in end game content and get them the best gear ever which basically beats the game for them in a day.

I'm doing the AP grind and find I can do multi-player onslaught until about 49.  After that with most mods being fixed amounts (melee xplode for 600K for eg) and my defenses doing fixed amounts the extra health of the monsters is just too much to bother with multi-player.  The game is significantly easier solo from then on.

Plenty of multi-player in expeditions though.

@Faking quote:

I'm doing the AP grind and find I can do multi-player onslaught until about 49.  After that with most mods being fixed amounts (melee xplode for 600K for eg) and my defenses doing fixed amounts the extra health of the monsters is just too much to bother with multi-player.  The game is significantly easier solo from then on.

Plenty of multi-player in expeditions though.

Totally agree and there's alot playing expedition so multi player is far from being dead 

Probably be a huge pain to implement, but it would be nice to progress in Onslaught with friends without having to have set schedules. Say I am on floor 30 and you are on floor 40, I do floor 40 with you and get credit for floor 30. I think a system like that would be awesome. Say it unlocked at Chaos 7 so the folks that scream no carries wouldn't get flustered.

I have lots of friends that play DD2, but play other games quite often as well. Something like this would allow me to progress and still play with them, doing something other than shard or mod farming!

Such a solution was proposed months ago, but yeah.... they should do something like that. Have balls @Trendy to do this Emoji_LightningBug.png

@Juicebags quote:

Probably be a huge pain to implement, but it would be nice to progress in Onslaught with friends without having to have set schedules. Say I am on floor 30 and you are on floor 40, I do floor 40 with you and get credit for floor 30. I think a system like that would be awesome. Say it unlocked at Chaos 7 so the folks that scream no carries wouldn't get flustered.

I have lots of friends that play DD2, but play other games quite often as well. Something like this would allow me to progress and still play with them, doing something other than shard or mod farming!

I thought they even hinted at this in one of the Friday sessions when discussing Onslaught changes. Probably not able to pull it off yet. I vaguely remember Jose mentioning being able to play with friends 10 floors above. Got me excited because I'm that friend who is always behind :)

@Juicebags quote:

so many people have suggested similar, i hope it comes to trendy attention and they find a way around this, ive always said at the floors where loot is very similar they should allows friends to join an attain an increase on their maximum floor achieved  when you beat the floor   

@Uchihia quote:

so many people have suggested similar, i hope it comes to trendy attention and they find a way around this, ive always said at the floors where loot is very similar they should allows friends to join an attain an increase on their maximum floor achieved  when you beat the floor   

I'd prefer it if it didn't allow any skipping, just progressed everyone's floor count by 1. Restrictions to within 10 onslaught levels kinda make sense (for public games), but shouldn't be implemented for private games or people within the same party, imho.