Sign in to follow this  
Plane

Keep mana when swapping characters

As an option, you should be able to keep your mana when you swap characters, so you don't have to drop it every time you switch.

There are two problems that this solves

1. Builders often have trouble finding places to drop their mana when people are hanging out near the forge or go AFK, and sometimes their mana gets stolen accidentally even when people are trying not to steal it.

2. On boss maps, or maps like Polybius, everyone drops their mana at the forge and everyone else picks it up, and you usually end up losing some mana or getting mana stuck on characters you've switched away from.

This should be an option

If you just kept your mana when switching characters, it would be a lot easier and these problems would go away.  However, some players might want to keep the old behavior, for example if they want to stockpile mana on multiple characters for CD or Ember.  There should be a checkbox to turn this off so they can play the game without this change if they want to.

Switching when the target character can't hold all the mana

If you switch characters to someone who can't hold all of your mana, it will only move as much mana as the new character can hold.  Any extra mana will remain on the old character, so if you switch back you'll have full mana again.

Any feedback/suggestions on this idea?

Some people prefer another idea to solve the problem: adding a new keybind that lets you drop mana which other players can't pick up (temporarily), like ctrl-M. 

I do like this concept. I do a lot of secondary character play with emulator so the option for keeping stockpile on past characters is nice, as I stock up for boost, EV, or just to have for drop later.

However, I could see the checkbox being checked and unchecked fairly often and it may end up being close to the same effort for keeping track of which characters needed to be stocked for mana. No qualms with the current system. 

Only suggestion I could add was a per character checkbox, but that adds unnecessary clutter and complexity for character setups.

I'm split - I would either use the crap out of it once I got used to it, or not at all. Its pretty easy to deal with any of these issues in public games in my experience already. 

I very much like this idea, prefer the Ctrl M instead of messing with the Character screen. If this was implemented it would allow multiple people to swap at the same time and they get to keep their mana, which is really nice. Also you won't have to tell people to not stand at the forge while you're building(people do it anyway xD) and that make is easier for the host :D 

@Hans Joachim (NOR) quote:

what would happen to the mana if the next character don't have space for all the mana?

@Plane quote:
Switching when the target character can't hold all the mana

If you switch characters to someone who can't hold all of your mana, it will only move as much mana as the new character can hold.  Any extra mana will remain on the old character, so if you switch back you'll have full mana again.

I think both ideas should be implemented, both sounds super helpful.