Sign in to follow this  
ajantis619

What would be the perfect number of shards for gilding?

Curious to see if everyone likes 10 as the number of shards for gilding or if they would want the number to go down or even up?

My personal thought is that 10 shards is a bit much. I think 5 would be a good number that would still require effort to get but it wouldn't be as overwhelming when trying to farm shards like defense rate, deadly strikes, or destruction. Another thought would be to lower the amount of shards needed to gild shards that fit multiple heros and leaving hero specific shards at 10?

I don't actually mind the amount needed to gild. What I don't really like is that you have to totally depend on RNG for shards.

I'd prefer introducing shard crafting that uses shard dust as an ingredient. Or use shard dust as an ingredient to gild. 

Again, totally cool with any amount needed, doesn't matter how high. I just want the RNG factor to be lessened.

EDIT: to think of it, using shard dust as an ingredient for gilding might too fast for the rate that trendy intends for us to gild. So I think I'm gonna stop suggesting that.

Shard crafting still keeps the rate of a long term goal. We still have a lot to farm for, but at least we have something to work towards to.

Completely agree with Palo, the rng is what really makes it all painful. I'm all on board for gilding shards to be a grind, but it should be something you can actively and visibly work towards rather than relying on dumb luck and afking on lower difficulties. The number of shards needed along with the inventory management issues are nowhere near as painful as the shard rng. In fact, they might not even be issues if there was less/no shard rng.

That's two, "make it easier posts" Adjantis. I'm about to erupt. 

It takes time. Games like this take more time than your typical "gamer" is willing to put out. Research indicates, no I'm not doing citations, that gamers have a lower level of patience than non-gamers due to instant access/instant results via push of the button. The reward is greater when items, across the board, are not so easily attained (patience).

If you don't have the patience go to a game that requires none.

I think the issue is more complex than that of gild amount alone. I believe there is a systemic issue with drops as well. Shards you only ever need 1 of, and subsequently 10 to gild, drop with the same (supposedly) rate as shards that you use on every hero. 

Coupled with that, really important shards are obviously nerfed on drop rates. I have not seen a DS or DR shard in months, even with farming. Seen dozens of other shards. Chi blast? 3-4 a night. Destruction? Not since it became important again. I don't believe the equal RNG argument on this anymore, given my sample size with playing. 

So you have (reduced) low drop rates, coupled with needing 10, let alone the fact that you likely need about 60-70 of these shards total for your team. insane numbers...

Right now, i don't even have enough DS or DR shards to fully equip my heroes yet, let alone start on gilding.

So back to OP- i think 10 is fine on single use/hero shards, but the more important shards- that number is an insulting joke, and might as well be a million.... And that has been true since the topic of gilding was introduced. 

Also- storage of gilding shards is a rip off to dd2 customers. You paid for inventory space to hold pages and pages of extra shards? I don't think so. If the last update and multiplayer changes are to encourage loot collection...well sorry your inventory is all full of shards.

I really hope TE finally takes a realistic look at drop rates and changes them so that mass used ones drop more frequently, or give us the ability to spot craft specific shards. Also, shards for gilding need to come out of our inventory bags and go elsewhere. 

RNG is RNG. I cannot be the only one not having a problem with getting defense rate, deadly strikes and power transfer shards.

You only need one. Gilding (the tenth) is optional! Gilding is optional! You can AP reset to increase your powers if you are not getting what you want. AP reset if you're not getting your shards. I've not AP reset once and have not GRIPED once about RNG shards and it has been tough, and awesome! It is RNG! Random Number Generator, and by all accounts it is possible that you NEVER get what you want.

There is no "sampling" to prove anything. Until Trendy posts percenrages for drop rates on shards you are only guessing as to what they are. Stop griping or telling Trendy how to be.

@ArchaicLotus quote:

That's two, "make it easier posts" Adjantis. I'm about to erupt. 

It takes time. Games like this take more time than your typical "gamer" is willing to put out. Research indicates, no I'm not doing citations, that gamers have a lower level of patience than non-gamers due to instant access/instant results via push of the button. The reward is greater when items, across the board, are not so easily attained (patience).

If you don't have the patience go to a game that requires none.

Neither thread was about making anything easier, they were posted because i was curious to see how other players feel about grinding mods / shards. They were intended to open up a mature conversation and see if other players liked the current status and difficulty grinding certain things. Both threads turned into an attack the poster for making suggestions and wanting to know how others felt. As a side note games are made or broken by gamers of all tiers not just the elite, especially free to play games where non elite players also spend their hard earned money on cosmetics, bag space and other things so suggesting that if you are not an elite player with hours and hours each day to grind that you should find another game to play is absurd, rude, unnecessary, and completely uncalled for. If it angers you so that someone has an opinion that does not reflect yours than you might have some deeper issues to address.

@ArchaicLotus quote:

There is no "sampling" to prove anything. Until Trendy posts percenrages for drop rates on shards you are only guessing as to what they are. Stop griping or telling Trendy how to be.

The amount is 1 divided by the amount of possible shards in that tier. None of them have a higher chance than any other. 

"The amount is 1 divided by the amount of possible shards in that tier. None of them have a higher chance than any other." - Lawlta

That's exactly what we all knew from the very beginning. That's what the RNG is and players have already understood this yet get emotionally involved when in pursuit of a particular mod/shard.

"games are made or broken by gamers of all tiers" - Adjantis

We'll break it if we don't get our way. Things are RNG, get with the program.

This shows your intention Adjantis. In both threads you considered something in need of going more your way; thus, the message behind your posts. You are sequestering player feedback in hopes of support going your way. Why else bring attention to this?

My opinion is 9 Emoji_Monk.png

Before Patch i thought 7 might be a good number but now i have roughly 30 Shards Gilded and i see that 7 shards might be a lower number. 

My problem is with Destruction + Defence Rate combination because we need that in 90 % of Towers.

@ArchaicLotus quote:

"The amount is 1 divided by the amount of possible shards in that tier. None of them have a higher chance than any other." - Lawlta

That's exactly what we all knew from the very beginning. That's what the RNG is and players have already understood this yet get emotionally involved when in pursuit of a particular mod/shard.

"games are made or broken by gamers of all tiers" - Adjantis

We'll break it if we don't get our way. Things are RNG, get with the program.

This shows your intention Adjantis. In both threads you considered something in need of going more your way; thus, the message behind your posts. You are sequestering player feedback in hopes of support going your way. Why else bring attention to this?

My intention as stated above was to start a mature conversation to see how other players felt about the current status of shards and mods. please read what people have to say before attempting to belittle them. also, not important or relevant but my forum name does not have a D in it.

8 because that's one row in my stash 😃

What we should have is all shard dust is generic and can be used on any tier so first up if will free up a bit of space in bags and then after a few onslaught and C7 grinds I can dust up all the rubbish shards I don't need and then use that 50 or so generic dust to try and roll 5 C4 shards.

For new players it will be locked by gear score or whatever gating so you can only trade dust up to your current tier.

I am not getting my hand held and I am still at the mercy of RNG all it is doing is providing me the fun and challenge of onslaught and progression - rather than spending 2 hours putting down C7 defenses on a C4 map and AFK for the hope of getting some lower tier shards.

10 would be fine if:

We could stack shards.

Shards had the same drop restrictions as weapons, and only dropped for heroes in the deck. 

I was belittling no one.  If your post was to see what others thought then why go back and forth on it.  What you prefer to happen with the shards is evident in both threads so you're being biased.  Saying that you are wanting things to become easier is not belittling at all.  Players wanting thins easier is so agitating, so I post against it.  As well, people stating what drops rates are is silly, being that they are all the same.  Just because you get 100 destruction shards in a row does not mean that, on the whole, it is more likely to drop more.

People take me going at their logic personal because I 100% disagree with their logic; thus, I"m belittling.  

"Hey ladies and gentlemen, what do you think of the drop rates?"  That's unbiased.  Your inquiry is infused with a slant desire leaning in one direction, making it very easy for me to assume that you are wanting things made more simple.  

Your answer is, Random Number Generating is not different for any shard.  I hope this brings you peace.  I apologize for misspelling your name.  I meant nothing by it.

i don't mind the quantity. i mind the bank space they take up

with infinite bank space i wouldn't care if it took 100 shards to gild :P

DAMMIT... I LOST

I think the current amount of 10 + 1 to gild a shard is fine, I just went through and counted all my gilded shards and it currently stands at 232 (114 in vault, 118 on heroes).  Anything less than 10 would make the shard grind too little and anything more would make the inventory management horrible.  Many times I had almost all 12 vaults and 7 of 8 bags full of shards, but now I have a lot more free space after gilding so many.

@Defenso quote:

8 because that's one row in my stash 😃

This a thousand times.

@Paloverde zfogshooterz quote:

I don't actually mind the amount needed to gild. What I don't really like is that you have to totally depend on RNG for shards.

I'd prefer introducing shard crafting that uses shard dust as an ingredient. Or use shard dust as an ingredient to gild. 

This a million times.

I've completely gilded a dryad, a gun witch, monk, mystic and am almost done gilding a huntress. Deadly strikes, rates, etc on their towers. Drop rates r fine and so is the 10 shards to gild one. The system isn't ment to be quick or easy. It works fine as is in my opinion. Just keep playing and the shards will come. Patience people.