Sign in to follow this  
Vim

Mod tiers

I had been on a hiatus for some time so I am late to item modding scene so I am not sure if I have missed something obvious or if it has been address some time ago or not.

Firstly, I like that the "perfect" green mods are extremely hard to acquire, even when everything has been done, or most things, it gives me something to look forward to, even if it doesn't make a massive difference, is something you can progress your characters.

Something I find confusing is the rarity of lower tier mods; like the red, orange and yellow mods in particular, I rarely seem to get mods that have more then 1 or 2 of the 5 pips on them, yellow is probably the most common of the lower tiers to get 3 pips.  However, when i find a green variety mod it is usually 4 or 5 pips so I tend to be stuck with mostly garbage or perfect/near perfect mods and really nothing in between.  You would think pips 3, 4 and 5 of red would be more common than pip 1 of orange, but it is not, not that I particularly want mods with red pips in them at all, but theoretically you would want to make the higher tiers rare enough that you would want to progressively replace mods as you get better versions but I seem to spend 99% time on garbage tiers with low pips and then get perfect or near perfect mods and there really isn't much of a progression as the yellow mods with 2 or 3 pips drop like candy anyway so I am usually only making 1 mod insertion and 1 upgrade at best rather than progressive improvements.

I like the system in theory but not sure it is functioning as well as it should.

Also, I don't want to see the ability to upgrade mods, if you can, no matter how expensive it is, I will be running around with all maxed out mods on day 1 and the entire system will be pointless.

Welcome back, Vim!

I believe there are actually nine different tiers of quality: 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, . . . 4.5, and perfect 5. I have noticed more of the lesser powered mods than higher powered, in the order you would expect, with a perfect green being very rare. 

While I am fine with the frequency of drops and rarities, I think the distribution of power between the tiers is horribly uneven. Specifically, the difference in effect between a bottom 1 tier and a 4.5 tier are negligible. While the difference in effect from 4.5 to 5 is huge.  So, in practice, there are only two levels of quality:  maximum perfect 5.0, and then everything else.

Thus, it is NOT worthwhile to constantly upgrade from tier 1 to tier 2 to tier3 to tier 4. Instead, I only upgrade an existing mod with a perfect green. 

Other than the distribution of effects between tiers, I find the mods to be a great addition to the game. 

@SELL SW0RD quote:

the difference in effect between a bottom 1 tier and a 4.5 tier are negligible. While the difference in effect from 4.5 to 5 is huge.   

This 100%. 4.5 tenacity 45% 5 tenacity 95% 1 tenacity is like 40%? scaling is not even close to being even

"Firstly, I like that the "perfect" green mods are extremely hard to acquire, even when everything has been done, or most things, it gives me something to look forward to, even if it doesn't make a massive difference, is something you can progress your characters." - Vim

Solid post Vim.