Why did we stop adding range as a toweraura upgrades and bonuses for synergies

Back in the old days of 25++ hard Mode every upgrade level increased the effective range of a tower\trap and aura.

Also when you got an elemental synergy you got a small multiplier, it wasn't huge but you could build to it and it generated a decent amount of gold and exp.

Why were these two elements of strategy removed, any ideas from the Trendy team, if there is anyone left from that time.

even if there isn't an answer, this could be something for the future, it's a good idea but might not have fit in the game back than.

not trying to be mean, but i've been waiting for 2 years for them to divorce placement prohibition range from "aura range increase"

it makes no sense that your placement gets restricted MORE when you buff your aura range. it's not even like DD1 where your auras couldn't overlap (which was dumb anyways, if you wanted the damage to not stack you could simply make enemies only able to be affected by 1 which is a more elegant solution which wouldn't annoy the players)

it's makes even less sense when you can simply unequip your relic, place the auras, then put it back on to get the increase. so i have no idea why they're just trying to annoy us for no good reason at all 

Mark's post about wanting to keep the overall balance of the game from getting out of hand comes into my mind right now. We have a lot of range right now, on top of speed and damage. So much so that it makes any defense viable to use if it does not get disabled by mobs. It's hard to really challenge the players without resorting to cheap tactics.

As for elemental synergy, I think this would be a great thing to flesh out. I really enjoy the idea of certain elements being good against a certain enemy type and combining elements for interesting status effects. It feels like a hollow shell of what it could be. Most often we only use these effects because a particular mutator exists that makes enemies immune to all damage unless under a status effect. 

A blanket nerf would do it, yes. 

In fact we recently had one of those that kinda missed the mark. Range caps. It is very strange on what they decided to cap and what they didn't. Sure they reduced the max range of the tree but then they gutted flamethrowers and reflect beams and left a lot of stuff effectively untouched.

@Plasma quote:

As for elemental synergy, I think this would be a great thing to flesh out. I really enjoy the idea of certain elements being good against a certain enemy type and combining elements for interesting status effects. It feels like a hollow shell of what it could be. Most often we only use these effects because a particular mutator exists that makes enemies immune to all damage unless under a status effect. 

Agreed. Elementals does have some potentials to be something awesome (and primordial?). Maybe Elemental Lords? ;)