Sign in to follow this  
GetYourWetWipes

Are we paying trendy to use social gambling experimentation voluntarily?

We argue that gaming is principally defined by its interactivity, skill-based play, and contextual indicators of progression and success. In contrast, gambling is defined by betting and wagering mechanics, predominantly chance-determined outcomes, and monetisation features that involve risk and payout to the player. A checklist measure is provided, with practical examples, to examine activities according to features of design and function, which may inform guidelines.

in some instances, using category-based nomenclature (e.g., "re-rolls" "blind purchasing" "misguiding information""lack of information".) may be too vague or cumbersome to adequately organise our understanding of new gaming/gambling hybrid activities in quantum economics.

If you can understand this please leave your thoughts, As this post is going to direct some personal decisions i'm going to make on public platforms.

yours truly, a sincerely, concerned gamer...

Are you preparing a journal or something? I don't feel like I am gambling in this game. All these things are just promoting stickiness to keep players coming back in search of "perfection". My money spent was not in order to progress, but more to support Trendy given the hours of entertainment provided. Some other games (like with the EA franchise) can be considered gambling with their packs.

The way i see gambling mechanics are becoming more and more common in every type of game, not just DD 2. If i had to take a guess i would say that behavior is due to two factors:

1. In 2017 mobile revenue took over pc and console games. Easy to say that's because mobile is more acessible but we all know  some shady market tactics are involved. For example, you could directly buy something that costs 15 "gems" but there's only packages of 12 and 30 "gems". They expect you to say "hey i've x gems left that i'm not using, maybe i should buy more for y purpose".  Another tactic is the usual loot box/chance/gambling method that also prey on the vulnerable ( children, teenagers, addicted ). 

2. Developers are being lazy and/or dealing with impossible deadlines. I think it's more and more common to find games where the progression is not based on difficulty or amount of content to explore instead they give the progress to chance or find ways to make you lose everything. 

By far TE is not even close to be as bad as Konami selling character slot or EA with a B2P game filled with microtransactions and buying studios to close a year later due to impossible deadlines just to milk famous titles. I guess we have just to select better games like Witcher 3, Skyrim, Legend of Zelda BOTW.

Anyway sorry if my half-assed english gave you a stroke. Just giving my opinion on the subject :p

A prize is something offered that has a value. Certificates or trophies having no resale value would not be considered prizes. If there is no charge for the gaming pieces then prizes of value can be auctioned or given away based on winning. I think this is what you mean. Hope i'm right. 

This is RNG. At least generalized form of said inherit values, from the first  sentence of the thread post. If I'm right in concluding such thought, That cognitive reasoning. This thread is to illustrate the cognitive generalization of the players being targeted for sales.

@Eventualcrowd16PC quote:

Are you preparing a journal or something? I don't feel like I am gambling in this game. All these things are just promoting stickiness to keep players coming back in search of "perfection". My money spent was not in order to progress, but more to support Trendy given the hours of entertainment provided. Some other games (like with the EA franchise) can be considered gambling with their packs.

No, no journal. This is forth-right transparent thinking.

it good to see someone not simply being agreeable, standing on there knowledge for a open end opinion on the matter factually everything you are say is factual.... 

being assertive on your factual post how do you feel about it? specifically on .2 of your post because you are talking about consideration.

consideration is a very bad word. By definition it is a two way street but i think it is highly likely while driving. the oncoming traffic has high beams on (IE "misinformation") this also leads into chance (chance here is not to be confused with "RNG". but manufactured risk, having  X amount of gems left over for purchases ect.) 

@Whatever Gunwitch quote:

The way i see gambling mechanics are becoming more and more common in every type of game, not just DD 2. If i had to take a guess i would say that behavior is due to two factors:

1. In 2017 mobile revenue took over pc and console games. Easy to say that's because mobile is more acessible but we all know  some shady market tactics are involved. For example, you could directly buy something that costs 15 "gems" but there's only packages of 12 and 30 "gems". They expect you to say "hey i've x gems left that i'm not using, maybe i should buy more for y purpose".  Another tactic is the usual loot box/chance/gambling method that also pray on the vulnerable ( children, teenagers, addicted ). 

2. Developers are being lazy and/or dealing with impossible deadlines. I think it's more and more common to find games where the progression is not based on difficulty or amount of content to explore instead they give the progress to chance or find ways to make you lose everything. 

By far TE is not even close to be as bad as Konami selling character slot or EA with a B2P game filled with microtransactions and buying studios to close a year later due to impossible deadlines just to milk famous titles. I guess we have just to select better games like Witcher 3, Skyrim, Legend of Zelda BOTW.

Anyway sorry if my half-assed english gave you a stroke. Just giving my opinion on the subject :p

i cant believe no one wants to talk about the mechanics of gambling elements in dd2... how genuinely miss leading some purchasable content is. honestly.

Online purchasing is actually a really hot subject right now. I know in my state. 11-13 billion dollars a year in GDP for the us. and on average a developers compensation is around 100k a year to start i cant believe no one is out rage at some of the things im talking about here and on the other side of the coin no one is saying its ok. 

there has to be more to talk about here. 

Agile software development describes an approach to software development under which requirements and solutions evolve through the collaborative effort of self-organizing and cross-functional teams and their customer(s)/end user(s).[1] It advocates adaptive planning, evolutionary development, early delivery, and continual improvement, and it encourages rapid and flexible response to change.[2]

The term agile (sometimes written Agile)[3] was popularized, in this context, by the Manifesto for Agile Software Development.[4] The values and principles espoused in this manifesto were derived from and underpin a broad range of software development frameworks, including Scrum and Kanban.[5][6]

There is significant anecdotal evidence that adopting agile practices and values improves the agility of software professionals, teams and organizations; however, some empirical studies have found no scientific evidence. 

Clip Board Inheritance

Clipboard inheritance is the practice of copying code from one location (class or method) to another in order to transfer functionality. It is highly likely to introduce bugs into your application for several reasons:

• Any bugs in the copied code will be transferred to the new location.
  • Any fixes will need to be made everywhere the code was copied; it's easy to miss one.
  • Code specific to the old location can be missed when inserting and modifying the copied code.

Instead follow the Once Only Rule: Any significant code should be in one and only one place in your code.

This will mean refactoring the code to extract the functionality. If the code is repeated within a class then it should be extracted to a new method that can be used throughout the class. If the functionality is used by multiple classes then the functionality should be extracted to a new class which can be used by the other classes (composition).

Concidering location and QOL! I dont see what is funny about it. all things being described here contribute to the over all. Florida has no state, tax if memory serves. that in its self contributes to gross, not take home.  if we are being accountable i think there are very small details people forget.

If a top end developer was to look at past coding instead of entry level fresh outa school developers fixing old coding the dynamics would change. it doesnt though because it would effect the QOL in tenured positions. there for with the said main streamed buisness strat in thread the only thing to laugh at would be not being able to identify said OBLIGATIONS a Quality Controll management team would have

If QC is laughable then no wonder everything is funny.

*but this is a completely different topic*

Belgium brought EA to court over micro-transactions. Their methods of micro-transacting gave the purchaser an opportunity to gain better, more powerful gear. Trendy doesn't touch that model. There's is either cosmetic or convenience.

An important thing to distinguish is that Belgium's ruling doesn't pertain to micro-transactions, but rather to loot boxes and the fact that they can be considered gambling and, as such, are subject to the country's gambling legislation, especially in regards to minors. What exactly is the difference between a gambling and non-gambling loot box is up for debate and I can't find a comprehensive ruling on that. For example, are escalating odds considered gambling? What about loot boxes that reward random rewards but once you get a reward remove it from the potential pool? What about loot boxes with clearly posted odds? The whole "Belgium bans loot boxes" is a catchy title, but there are still a lot of ways to potentially circumvent it.

Just woken up here but alot of games do have some form of gambling in it. Some of it can be quite n good for game. 

To me as long as its not intentional rig in a way that the chances of a good pay off is slim and or you dont use real money its all good.

When you do maps and your loot is rng that isnt gambling but say you spend your defender medals or gems on shard packs. Thats a gamble cause you might end up with all unwanted shards or 5 of them you do want or a mix but even then its not a total lost as you can dust those shards so its not like its for all or nothing.

your comparison,  the European example applied to this in tandem. american regulations is to mitigate fraudulent behaviors and abuse. Simply, for that to work the infrastructure has to be paid for.  if states can be made aware of these behaviors new age quantum economics will become some of the most highly regulated legislation in history. the newest laws in america are from the 90's.

illustrating the cash cow IT development IS. i wonder if it wouldn't be prudently agile for some models to change in the spirit of the American Disney experience. lol.

@Zeromatter

I'm sorry. I don't get it.  can you explain a little more how you see what is and isn't gambling. i understand your point. but to really talk about this with you i think we are on the surface of risk and reward.

understood risk and reward is not bad. the problem im trying to identify here has to deal with cognitive generalization of risk and reward. no where does it say put in 1$ for four spins on RNG in the game and alot of warning labels have a example of risk... dont stick your hand under a running lawn mower, this is flammable, this is poison. these are labels required for consumers in the monopoly of safety, we as tax payers pay out the wazoo for this regulation.

also there is no real value in any game currency except for  purchasable currencies (gems). tokens and gold are rewards of empathy for spending time the game. this has been considered by development as a reward for your time.

stop copying me.... lmao. im to the point where i actually think some of the problems can be identified by the player base and its turning into a college corse called "what you say 101".

but with that said everything people are post in this thread are addressing my question so its very beneficial to me and im grateful for it.

@Nefhith quote:

Jesus what a trainwreck of a thread.

I mean this in no disrespectful way, but: 

Are you actually trying to be serious in this thread? 

That is so confusing. Almost all your other posts have been extremely childish. 

It makes it difficult to differentiate you being sincere, from you - the troll. I read this thread and I picture you grinning behind the keyboard just baiting and trolling people, copy/pasting texts you didn´t write etc..... 

I will read it again, without being biased.

The only thing concerning this topic for this game that I'm not happy with is them def packs. The duplicate factor and obtainable stuffs is just painful. For anyone who says that you can get them free from onslaught and I'm just being entitled, that's a valid point. For one side of the coin.

The other side of the coin is that when one pays actual money for def packs and gets all dupes, you will feel the burn.

I would suggest that dupes gives a unique currency instead of gold which can be spent to buy other stuff that's available from the def packs. That way, the dupes won't be painful.

Now to you, Wet Wipes, I'm intrigued too that you can compose something like this and be quite childish and immature. I mean very.

@LAWLTA quote:

@GetYourWetWipes quote:

on average a developers compensation is around 100k 

giphy.gif

@Paloverde zfogshooterz quote:

Now to you, Wet Wipes, I'm intrigued too that you can compose something like this and be quite childish and immature. I mean very.

This is why this forum is so damn great, if you need a laugh you always know where to go.

The way I see it is thusly; if you put money into an item (be it real life or digital) and there is a possibility of you not getting exactly what you want, then that is a gamble. You are taking a chance. 

That being said, it is also a choice. You can play games that are FTP, or BTP, with micro transactions in the game. It is your choice to spend money on those micro transactions. But saying any game forces you to (and I am not saying anyone has) buy these micro transactions is just silly. So either choose to gamble, or don't.

Regardless of how you see micro transactions, they are here. FTP games with micro transactions, in my opinion, are great. If I like the game and wish to support the developers, then I have the choice to do so. It is better than laying down $60 and after 10 hours of play getting bored with the game.

And to people who buy these micro transactions and then complain about the result, or want the developer to change the way it works so that it is still beneficial, I simply laugh and shake my head. You knew what you were spending money on, you knew there was a chance of getting what you wanted and a bigger chance of getting something you didn't. And if you didn't, that is not the developers fault.

Yep I’ve spent a lot of money on the game and all of it was cosmetic based, own almost every skin in the game, every hero, and maxed bags, not to mention maxed shop etc, I enjoy the game therefore I spend money on it. Whats the problem in that?

this is not a post to advocate sedition. its a question! please voice your awareness of the question asked and leave the animosity behind. 

The point of this is to illustrate the inability to recognize these things mentioned. if its ethical to allow buyer remorse in a synthetic manufactured market.   

You do know, that if you want us to leave the animosity behind, you'll have to stop posting rubbish at the other threads. For example.....at a thread that we just want to voice our appreciation to Trendy and you just have to do the "Troll 9000" nonsense... 

glad you brought up my behaviors. let me ask, do you think taking on the role of a referee to obligate the roles of what people say is a role you can maintain in your career as a obvious seeker of truths? for example my saying im being a troll. you believed it! now, does not understanding my post warrant someone with a higher perspective, warrant your protection? 

consider this you cant tell a monkey about your day but your can act like a monkey, now imagine someone that couldn't explain there day to you but could act like you.

@Paloverde zfogshooterz quote:

You do know, that if you want us to leave the animosity behind, you'll have to stop posting rubbish at the other threads. For example.....at a thread that we just want to voice our appreciation to Trendy and you just have to do the "Troll 9000" nonsense... 

go google whales and f2p. that should shed some light on my said rubbish palo... cant wait for the rebuttal.