Possible to play in a priv. match with a person you don't have added on steam?

My friend and I are trying to figure this out. I know it is possible to join a friend's game through steam, but my friend has not spent $5 on Steam and therefore can't add anyone. Is there any way to play with someone who is not a friend on steam?

The best workaround I can think of is to first ensure you're both on the same region from the home screen. Then you'll have to both join the town, I personally see the same players at the town day after day so it shouldn't be hard to meet up there but keep joining town till you find eachother and party up to find a match. 

I'm not sure about in game friends because I play alone and have no friends. But I think this should work until your friend decides to spend at least $5 on something. 

@ViR-GiN-iA quote:

The best workaround I can think of is to first ensure you're both on the same region from the home screen. Then you'll have to both join the town, I personally see the same players at the town day after day so it shouldn't be hard to meet up there but keep joining town till you find eachother and party up to find a match. 

I'm not sure about in game friends because I play alone and have no friends. But I think this should work until your friend decides to spend at least $5 on something. 

That sad. If i were on pc i would play with you ;)