Sign in to follow this  
Nerf Sky City

Boss Rush Kraken

The boss is more than fine and it fits in with everything else, but i'd suggest nerfing it's knockback. I'd say nerf the knockback in both tentacle and vulnerable phase, as both have obserd knockback. I've done this on both nightmare and insane plenty of times, and in both modes (nightmare the most) i've had this happen around one in every 3 runs. I think most people should be able to agree that losing all of your progress because of something nearly uncontrollable isnt really ok. The counterarguments i can see for this are that it's all about knowing where to stand, etc... but the issue is that while 95% of the time i stand in the middle as it has the most safety, i do 5% of the time have to move (or i would die) since the kraken has really high damage. This plus skycopters makes it very difficult to just stay in a safe spot. I've noticed how jumping makes you go back 2-3x farther, and that the vulnerable kraken kocks you back around 1.5x more (atleast from my experience) and that in nightmare it does seem to knock back more but im not 100% on this. getting hit with knockback is also very wonky as it commonly doesnt hit you, or hits you when you're too far away (again vulnurable version is the worst as that phase makes the kraken swipe across half the map sometimes). I'd suggest adding higher walls or reducing his knockback heavily, but i can only speak for my experience.

Short version

Kraken in both forms has knockback that is too high, and is extreamly unfair and semi-unpredictable. to fix this, either reduce the knockback heavily, or add higher walls to help deal with this issue.

Dont Jump. Stick to the Walls. if you receive too much damage, think about changing gear and Charackters. For Bossrush goes the same as for Skycity and, if you ever do it, for Crystalline Dimension: Try, try, try... and die. And Maybe succeed. Sometimes x) .

Dont Nerv Bossrush.

On Boss Rush, you can build physical towers to keep from getting knocked off.  Or just keep a wall between you and the krakens.  You can do that even if you have to move around sometimes.

@Plane quote:

On Boss Rush, you can build physical towers to keep from getting knocked off.  Or just keep a wall between you and the krakens.  You can do that even if you have to move around sometimes.

Physical towers are usually raped by mobs, so i try to spend my du points in a different fashion, and my build is pretty simple. 
just in the middle, fill with all traps, auras, a small 4DU buff beam, and a square of 2DU reflectors. i dont do minions since they also get raped and take the buff beam down with them. This isnt an issue of lack of experience it's an issue of annoyance, which is very important.

The stuff I quoted under is from your other post. Don't just start waving the Nerf This Now banner, just figure out the mechanics to the map and it'll be easy just like you said here. Your towers are breaking because you probably don't have the stats. The kraken's knockback is countered by backstepping. If thats too risky or you lag and get hit, position yourself so you get smacked into a wall.

[[157616,users]] quote:

[[181339,users]] Sky City quote:and as a follow-up, what about the slower skins like the one unlocked from ultimate defender? though it is very much a controlled variable, i think a map should be similar in difficulty, regardless of skin.

You can do it with every skin, believe it or not. You don't need to use a fast character, it's just easier. One of my most terrified moments was watching someone carry as tavernkeep on Sky City without using tornado stance, lol.

There is nothing in the map you can't complete with any character. The only real gotcha is getting stuck on north with no way to get back.

True, i've done it a little more recently, and it wasnt nearly as bad once i learned where to go. only 2-3 areas were viable to go to without a high chance of death, but for the most part it was fine. Though i would still like to have the boss a little closer in the north area. (side note thanks for the nmhcmm moonbase build)

@Plane quote:

@bonny quote:

The stuff I quoted under is from your other post. Don't just start waving the Nerf This Now banner, just figure out the mechanics to the map and it'll be easy just like you said here. Your towers are breaking because you probably don't have the stats. The kraken's knockback is countered by backstepping. If thats too risky or you lag and get hit, position yourself so you get smacked into a wall.

Plane quote:

Nerf Sky City quote:and as a follow-up, what about the slower skins like the one unlocked from ultimate defender? though it is very much a controlled variable, i think a map should be similar in difficulty, regardless of skin.

You can do it with every skin, believe it or not. You don't need to use a fast character, it's just easier. One of my most terrified moments was watching someone carry as tavernkeep on Sky City without using tornado stance, lol.

There is nothing in the map you can't complete with any character. The only real gotcha is getting stuck on north with no way to get back.

True, i've done it a little more recently, and it wasnt nearly as bad once i learned where to go. only 2-3 areas were viable to go to without a high chance of death, but for the most part it was fine. Though i would still like to have the boss a little closer in the north area. (side note thanks for the nmhcmm moonbase build)

Again, this isnt a question of skill, i've done this plenty of times and had it go smoothly, but the issue is that the krakens knockback is insane. my hp currently for most of my characters is 3K, and i know all of the tactics you mentioned. Also "The counterarguments i can see for this are that it's all about knowing where to stand, etc... but the issue is that while 95% of the time i stand in the middle as it has the most safety, i do 5% of the time have to move (or i would die) since the kraken has really high damage. This plus skycopters makes it very difficult to just stay in a safe spot." it's difficult to position myself when all of that is going on, so i'd like to say that my point still stands. Nerf the knockback, or add some walls.

If you really don't like the knockback there are a few other tips:

Huntress and Ranger can go invisible, which means the krakens won't attack you. If you time it right, you can kill them without ever getting hit.

Barbarian has turtle stance, which pretty much negates the knockback.

You can also play in teams, it is less likely 4 players will all get knocked off at the same time. Just keep trying new strategies :)

wait, youre saying that the 5% of the time you run that, he smacks you and youre complaining that the knockback is too high? one, its just a mechanic, and two, they did that so you actually have to move around. they didnt intend to have the boss be easy enough to safespot, and for the thing about adding more walls, youve gotta use what you have and thats the challenge. boss rush is a challenge. and before you argue that the knockback is insane, or his damage is really high. if he didnt have that, he would be a glorified ogre with a specific hitbox and the ability to fly. the point of nerfing this because of his ability to spin and launch you around isnt really a strong one. its the equivalent of saying the the warrior dudes jump too high and they jump over my walls, either make walls higher or remove their ability to jump.

and no, your point doesnt stand, "nerf the knockback or add more walls." the point is dodge his moves and change your strategy.

#1 Best Strategy for Kraken - Be a Huntress

I usually just build traps / buff beams / auras in boss rush. With Invisible Huntress, the Kraken will literally sit there and take it. So long as you don't have someone else there getting beat on. xD