Sign in to follow this  
Nerf Sky City

Sky city boss change

I've tried doing this boss on a barb (normal skin) 4 times so far, and each time, i die due to the boss either being too far away to the platforms, or too close. On the top of the map, disconnected island, on there if you got on the ship just before that, and you spent around 15-20 seconds getting the ship to low hp, it is not possible to land on the island since the ship does such a huge turn. The turn seems extremely unnecessary as well, since there's plenty of room. The next spot is the spawn area, as it is EXREAMLY easy to hit the hitbox of the ship, and then fall into-then through the ship, straight to death. My recommendation here would be to move the boss a way, around 2-4 char lengths away (any char). It's really annoying in other spots but the fact that i've lost 3 out of 4 of my runs, due to the fact that i couldn't get out is really unfair. (had 415 in tornado stance, and used it to get on, and off the ship.)
So shortened version

Sky city boss needs to be moved farther away at spawn area, and at the disconnected island, it needs to be moved much closer.

I think you just need more practice, I have no problems using ANY hero to do Sky City.

Most people who find Sky City hard are the ones that don't play it much, just because it seems hard at first doesn't mean it should be changed to fit your liking.

its all a part of the Challenge, you need to learn how the map works before you get a decent success rate on it

Yeah, you just need practice.  The only problem (in my mind) is that you can get stuck on north with no way back, which is bad game design. If you get stuck on south, there's a fan that propels you back, but there's no fan like that on north.  But once you learn that one thing you should be able to do the boss pretty consistently with a little practice.

@Plane quote:

Yeah, you just need practice.  The only problem (in my mind) is that you can get stuck on north with no way back, which is bad game design. If you get stuck on south, there's a fan that propels you back, but there's no fan like that on north.  But once you learn that one thing you should be able to do the boss pretty consistently with a little practice.

Isn't it bad game design literally not be able to finish the map? i feel like a lot of things here are being thrown into "skill" but that's just getting used to really bad game design in this section.

@Nerf Sky City quote:

@Plane quote:

Isn't it bad game design literally not be able to finish the map? i feel like a lot of things here are being thrown into "skill" but that's just getting used to really bad game design in this section.

and as a follow-up, what about the slower skins like the one unlocked from ultimate defender? though it is very much a controlled variable, i think a map should be similar in difficulty, regardless of skin.

You are missing the point here. In many other games skins are only visually improovements(?). But not in Dungeon Defenders- your stats are also affected by the skin you choose (Yes, not every Skin is affecting the stats).

If you want every map playable with every skin (by the way- i can easily show you, how you can jump onto the ship with the tavernkeeper skinn for barb), you sould not ask for making a map easier but to make it possible to change the skin opportunities. Most people play the Tavernkeeper (Ultimate Defender) Barb Skinn on the Barbary, because it gives that much hp, just like the Legendary Monk Skinn for monk.

If you are only playing the skin for cosmetic reasons (I personally think the santa skinn looks far better), asking for this change would propably perfect. If not... reconsider.

Mastering a map can sometimes take some time and you may fail many times. There are some bad jumppoints for jumping off and on the ship, for example. Every of the jumppoints is "ok" for jumping onto the ship, but if you take too much time decimating the bosses hp, you it might be hard to get back onto the island especially on 2 of those spots.

On a side note, if you are truly asking for this change to make it "easier not to fail", i already wish best of luck with Crystalline Dimension for you.

@Nerf Sky City quote:and as a follow-up, what about the slower skins like the one unlocked from ultimate defender? though it is very much a controlled variable, i think a map should be similar in difficulty, regardless of skin.

You can do it with every skin, believe it or not.  You don't need to use a fast character, it's just easier.  One of my most terrified moments was watching someone carry as tavernkeep on Sky City without using tornado stance, lol.

There is nothing in the map you can't complete with any character.  The only real gotcha is getting stuck on north with no way to get back.

@Plane quote:

@Nerf Sky City quote:and as a follow-up, what about the slower skins like the one unlocked from ultimate defender? though it is very much a controlled variable, i think a map should be similar in difficulty, regardless of skin.

You can do it with every skin, believe it or not.  You don't need to use a fast character, it's just easier.  One of my most terrified moments was watching someone carry as tavernkeep on Sky City without using tornado stance, lol.

There is nothing in the map you can't complete with any character.  The only real gotcha is getting stuck on north with no way to get back.

pretty sure barb can get back from north on sky... been way to long dont remember... 

@Plane quote:

@Nerf Sky City quote:

@Plane quote:

@Plane quote:

True, i've done it a little more recently, and it wasnt nearly as bad once i learned where to go. only 2-3 areas were viable to go to without a high chance of death, but for the most part it was fine. Though i would still like to have the boss a little closer in the north area. (side note thanks for the nmhcmm moonbase build)