Sign in to follow this  
Scorpion449

I dont understand this Ancient power thing

I just passed floor 66 and ive gotten some ancient power. I tried to apply it and it said that all my progress would be lost, and gears reset. Does this mean i have to start over from c1 and all my gears would be turned back to c1 gear? and all the medals ive spent for it would be lost?.

Now you have the choice of if you want to Ancient Power (AP) reset.

A few things happen when you AP reset: All your pets go back to level 1. All your gear goes back to chaos 1. All your shards that are not gilded go back to no upgrades. Your ascension resets to your starting ascension level. Your talent caps increase.

Now lets break down the last two points: Starting ascension:

Your starting ascension is your (Max gained Ascension divided by 50 times 3 ) + ((Max floor reached - 65) times 3). So if you have 1000 ascension and have only reached floor 65 you will have a starting ascension of 60. If you have 1000 ascension and go to floor 130 you will have a starting ascension of 255.

Now for the second point: Talent caps

When you go to your ascension tab you will see skills that say 0/140. For every floor you go above 65 each AP and for every 50 ascension you have you get 1 talent cap increase. So at floor 65 with 250 ascension you get 5 talent cap increase. for floor 65 with 500 ascension you get 10 talent cap increase.

What does all this mean. Currently the biggest reason to Ancient Power reset is to get your talent caps up to 999.  To do this effectively you want to push floors as high as possible.

Even if your goal is just ancient power abilities you want to get your starting ascension close to 250 so you dont have to grind ascension each ancient power reset.

TLDR: dont reset yet, you will regret it. Most players I know that reset too early ended up quitting the game because they screwed their account up and lost months of progression. Push floors and increase your minimum starting ascension.

i just did reset myself a couple days ago and it will reset all your gear back to campaign lvl and reset your ascenstion lvl to what it says min is (will tell you befor u confirm reset) - i would sugest you have a LOT of gold befor u attempt this if you are planning to upgrade all your gear back up with you (just ruff idea it cost me around 1.8mill gold for each relic i upgraded from scratch back upto max chaos 7)

For the most part - yes. All gear reverts back to Campaign level, all stage progress is reset back to the beginning and all shards (not gilded) are rest back to level 1. Pets reset too. I'm not 100% but i think all MODs go back to campaign level too. The cost is very high. For all of this you get 1 AP point, and 5% bonus to gold and EXP. Some like this system, but many of us feel the cost overshadows the incremental bonuses you get. TE has said they are looking at it, and changes may be coming - but no word on what those may be as of yet. 

@Jaws_420 quote:

For the most part - yes. All gear reverts back to Campaign level, all stage progress is reset back to the beginning and all shards (not gilded) are rest back to level 1. Pets reset too. I'm not 100% but i think all MODs go back to campaign level too. The cost is very high. For all of this you get 1 AP point, and 5% bonus to gold and EXP. Some like this system, but many of us feel the cost overshadows the incremental bonuses you get. TE has said they are looking at it, and changes may be coming - but no word on what those may be as of yet. 

mods go back to c1 but keep the same quality

@Nigiri_Toro quote:

Now you have the choice of if you want to Ancient Power (AP) reset.

A few things happen when you AP reset: All your pets go back to level 1. All your gear goes back to chaos 1. All your shards that are not gilded go back to no upgrades. Your ascension resets to your starting ascension level. Your talent caps increase.

Now lets break down the last two points: Starting ascension:

Your starting ascension is your (Max gained Ascension divided by 50 times 3 ) + ((Max floor reached - 65) times 3). So if you have 1000 ascension and have only reached floor 65 you will have a starting ascension of 60. If you have 1000 ascension and go to floor 130 you will have a starting ascension of 255.

When you go to your ascension tab you will see skills that say 0/140. For every floor you go above 65 each AP and for every 50 ascension you have you get 1 talent cap increase. So at floor 65 with 250 ascension you get 5 talent cap increase. for floor 65 with 500 ascension you get 10 talent cap increase.

What does all this mean. Currently the biggest reason to Ancient Power reset is to get your talent caps up to 999.  To do this effectively you want to push floors as high as possible.

Even if your goal is just ancient power abilities you want to get your starting ascension close to 250 so you dont have to grind ascension each ancient power reset.

TLDR: dont reset yet, you will regret it. Most players I know that reset too early ended up quitting the game because they screwed their account up and lost months of progression. Push floors and increase your minimum starting ascension.

Omg, I dont think i need this ancient power anymore. Is there any significant benefit for it at all>?

One missed note, you also gain a random Prestigious Weapon that has a unique Mod on it that can't be attained any other ways.

@Scorpion449 quote:

@Nigiri_Toro quote:

Omg, I dont think i need this ancient power anymore. Is there any significant benefit for it at all>?

For me in hindsight yes. I finished the grind over the last weekend and now have 999 talent caps unlocked (took me 66 ancient power resets). 

For the near future every map I beat im getting stronger (i will eventually gain about 19k extra of each stat, which is basically another gear tier level). 

I also received a lot of the AP weapons, although tbh none of them rolled well, so only a few are useful. Considering how rare they are and realistically how little of a chance you have of getting a good one during your AP grind you would think the rolls on them would be weighted higher... ( ::sideeyes lawlta::)

For you, probably not until the next patch when they have hinted that they are making significant changes to onslaught and probably ancient power as well.

Until then your best bet is to push floors, gild shards, gain ascension. If you havent yet then unlock all the chararacters and beat mastery.

Theres a lot of gameplay left for you before next patch.

I would like to know if changes are coming up to these Mods indicators on Prestigious Weapons.

I mostly use general weapon Mods, that drop at c1-c7 and floor 80+.

Don't get me wrong, i think these unique Weapons and Mods are cool, but the chances to get a really good indicator seem way to low, to make these Prestigious Weapon Mods useful.

Right now i think, i would never get a good unique Mod in my DD2 play time. Even though markets are existing.

The cost greatly outweighs the benefits. Unless you have 2 accounts, one to just carry the other through constant resets. That would make it worth it and more efficient. 

@Primo_114 quote:

The cost greatly outweighs the benefits. Unless you have 2 accounts, one to just carry the other through constant resets. That would make it worth it and more efficient. 

It´s actually pretty hassle free after a couple of resets. Especially if you have decent min asc and a gameplan.

@LAWLTA quote:

One missed note, you also gain a random Prestigious Weapon that has a unique Mod on it that can't be attained any other ways.

You can buy them from other players which is good seeing as the prestigious weapon can roll for any class including ones you don't have if I am not mistaken

@ajantis619 quote:

@LAWLTA quote:

You can buy them from other players which is good seeing as the prestigious weapon can roll for any class including ones you don't have if I am not mistaken

:) I left that detail out to see if anyone would pick up what I was throwing down (because I've made that same response when people have said that it's there's only one way to get them). Thank you for giving attention to detail. <3

@MaJean quote:

@Primo_114 quote:

It´s actually pretty hassle free after a couple of resets. Especially if you have decent min asc and a gameplan.

I'm working on this now. My first reset was so not hassle free! But i reset right at 65, so that sucked. 

@Nigiri_Toro quote:Your starting ascension is your (Max gained Ascension divided by 50 times 3 ) + ((Max floor reached - 65) times 3). So if you have 1000 ascension and have only reached floor 65 you will have a starting ascension of 60. If you have 1000 ascension and go to floor 130 you will have a starting ascension of 255.

I just returned to dd2 a few days back after a year and 4 months. I looked up a 3 month old juicebags video about when to first use AP, and he's talking about this softcap of Onslaught 114. That you won't get additional ascension points pushing past this when you reset. Has this been changed? Is there no softcap like you describe?

I have in mind to really try to get as many AP points. My current position is 0 AP, 1070 ascension, Onslaught 76. I was thinking to go Onslaught 114, then to use AP, and then to get back to Onslaught 65 to go AP again. Is this the way to go?

I like the general direction the game is going but I kind of dislike this limbo we're in when we know some kind of change is on the horizon but have no details of what the changes are and when they might hit. I'm a returning player interested in doing my first Ancient Power reset soon, but I'm hesitant because I might regret it depending what the changes are. Even veterans like JuiceBags are having similar problems, on his stream yesterday he talked about wanting to do a reset but isn't sure if he should or not.

To answer the question of whether or not to gain ap. I stand with Toro, hold off as long as you can. Work out some mastery, push floors to get your minimum Ascension up to 250ish, Gild a few shards. If anything when we get closer to patch day there will be a devstream and devlog detailing most if not all of the changes to the system. Make your decision then ;)

I feel like I'll be rejuvenated when I AP reset.  Already 200 something ascension, just need to tackle onslaught up to 65, but I fully intend to reset once I reach the end zone.  It's taken me a couple of months to get to where I am now, but that's with learning all kinds of stuff about how the mechanics of the game work.

Next iteration, I doubt it'll take me more than a month assuming I get some decent playtime.

@Lagmonster quote:

To answer the question of whether or not to gain ap. I stand with Toro, hold off as long as you can. Work out some mastery, push floors to get your minimum Ascension up to 250ish, Gild a few shards. If anything when we get closer to patch day there will be a devstream and devlog detailing most if not all of the changes to the system. Make your decision then ;)

what he said ^ 

i know a few people that reset as soon as they could and starting over with a low asc lvl is discouraging , they actually quit playing because of it . you want to climb as high as you can and wait and see what Trendy does with the next update. 

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1445507699  that is where i was last week , i hope to be around floor 150 when Trendy puts out another update. I love all my tinkered gear but evolving it all back to its C7 glory will be expensive :( 

@Ajido quote:

I like the general direction the game is going but I kind of dislike this limbo we're in when we know some kind of change is on the horizon but have no details of what the changes are and when they might hit. I'm a returning player interested in doing my first Ancient Power reset soon, but I'm hesitant because I might regret it depending what the changes are. Even veterans like JuiceBags are having similar problems, on his stream yesterday he talked about wanting to do a reset but isn't sure if he should or not.

Our updates have been pushed within the same amount of time (more or less). If you do a little investigating, you can figure out what that may look like for the next update. We have been more open with what we're working on, but giving specifics is never a great idea as things change during development.

As for not Ancient Powering because of future changes. Ancient Power is a system that is going to be continuously built upon, previously it was just stats and xp/gold bonuses, this expansion added a unique weapon that is created only through Ancient Power, the next update is addressing some of the community concerns with the system, and then past that you'll have to wait and see.

It's a system that's meant to be taken part of more than once, so if you continue to wait to do it because of the next update, you'll never end up doing it, because there could potentially be more added. That said, if you are going to do an Ancient Power grind, there are some players here who have (and can give more) tips on what you should do if you plan on grinding it out.