Sign in to follow this  
Dreizehn

I finally found out why I dislike Pets in DD2

Sounds weird but it really bothered me why I loved pets in DD1 but disliked pets in DD2.

This is definitely not because of the art style. While I found DD1's pets more creative (bots, monkeys), their style in DD2 is really great.

I have the impression that their additional ability in DD2 make them just an additional combat ability to me.

I wonder how people would like pets if some of them would just shoot lasers/bananas across the screen.

I like the idea of additional Abilitys through pets.
But I'm missing the unique Pets DD1 had.
Fairys that heal the player instead of attacking.
Pets that repair defenses if you stay close to them.

The Pets we currently have, have below average stats and useless attacks.
Only thing useful on a pet atm is the ability.

DD1 pets are superior simple fact.

Pets have been due a makeover for a very very very long time, but are obviously not priority.

Aaawwwww  i want a little fixer bot pet. That would b sweeeeeet.

@Randomroxas quote:

I like the idea of additional Abilitys through pets.
But I'm missing the unique Pets DD1 had.
Fairys that heal the player instead of attacking.
Pets that repair defenses if you stay close to them.

The Pets we currently have, have below average stats and useless attacks.
Only thing useful on a pet atm is the ability.

PET MODS WHEN?

make em drop in high onslaught tiers, bring back all the great hits from DD1

but ram1024! you can't tinker your pets and kill one pet to give its mods to another! you're a monster

WATCH ME DO IT

Yeah I remember farming for useful pets like the giraffe on the treadmill in DD1 but it just seems like non of the pets in DD2 do anything significant enough to care about

I forget I have a pet, I have the Dragolich always equiped but never use him, the abilities dont really ad much, yes a can boost my damage really quick but why do I care that it can make me 1 hit a boss when it's faster just to hit them twice then to activate the ability then attack

@Slick65 quote:

I forget I have a pet, I have the Dragolich always equiped but never use him, the abilities dont really ad much, yes a can boost my damage really quick but why do I care that it can make me 1 hit a boss when it's faster just to hit them twice then to activate the ability then attack

i agree. i wish the pet skill was automatic, as it would save time and be more helpful to me. The time it takes to activate it usually results in less help than keeping the attack button held down will do. Apart from removing DAs on command, i largely feel the pet skills being activated by a 2-button command is not something i utilize much or enjoy. 

@GameOver40 quote:

We need healing , repairing  defenses..etc pets .  

We have healing pets. Find a water pet and reroll untill you get soothing water. 20 sec cooldown if I recall correctly.

@Jaws_420 quote:
@Slick65 quote:

i agree. i wish the pet skill was automatic, as it would save time and be more helpful to me. The time it takes to activate it usually results in less help than keeping the attack button held down will do. Apart from removing DAs on command, i largely feel the pet skills being activated by a 2-button command is not something i utilize much or enjoy. 

I couldn't agree more! The activation time is a nuisance and I find myself just manually killing enemies more than using my pets. An automatic feature would be nice! :-)

Man i remember in dd1 on ps3 the only way I could beat insane glitterhelm on solo was having 3 split screen controllers on each wyvern lane with the event pets that were over powered to clear them. Good times when I relied on pets to win maps.

I enjoyed how unique each pet felt in DD1. I feel like pets now are cookies cutter, nothing unique to them other than appearance. No special attack methods unique to certain pets, pets can mostly have any ability depending on the element, and which pet you get out of an egg is almost entirely RNG.

In DD1, if you wanted a seahorse, you completed the Aquanos survival mode until wave 20. You could go in, knowing what you want, and work towards that specific goal. In DD2, it's all RNG, and there's nothing making any one pet unique versus another besides appearance anyway.

In Dungeon Defenders Eternity, they introduced pet abilities which I felt was actually a huge plus to pets overall as well as gameplay in general (I'd level up all sorts of different pets just to see how powerful their abilities could be), and I was happy to learn that abilities were reintroduced in DD2. Unfortunately, the abilities themselves in DD2 are buggy feeling, lackluster, on too long of a CD overall, and the fact that most any pet can have just about any ability takes away anything unique they might have had.

Some of my characters don't even have pets equipped right now because honestly, 350DP isn't worth anything at this point, and I'm still in Chaos 4. Plus, it's a huge pain in the ass to level pet affinity without buying boosters, so I mostly just don't bother. I've got two pets maxed out, and I put one on my primary builder and the other on my dps (dracolich, the one truly useful pet in this game) and everyone else just gets whatever. That is, assuming I remember to equip one at all. It's just a boring system as it is right now.

It is well known that the pets are (have been) due for a massive overhaul. I hope they fix pets before introducing any more heroes.

@Ambiguous quote:

and everyone else just gets whatever. That is, assuming I remember to equip one at all.

That's me.  I'm thinking I might start leveling one up to sell.  Can we do that?  Max out a pet and sell it, or does it bind to your character if you start to level it?

@SpottierPower4-3 quote:
@Ambiguous quote:

and everyone else just gets whatever. That is, assuming I remember to equip one at all.

That's me.  I'm thinking I might start leveling one up to sell.  Can we do that?  Max out a pet and sell it, or does it bind to your character if you start to level it?

Pets don´t bind, level away:)

@MaJean quote:

It is well known that the pets are (have been) due for a massive overhaul. I hope they fix pets before introducing any more heroes.

I think that's one of the best reasons to talk about pets.

@Slick65 quote:

This happened to me too. When I have obtained eggs, I hatched them of course... nothing should go to waste. In the end they turned out boring to me and I think their abilities should be more passive.

Pets like the Imp are not possible in DD2 because mana is more limited and a Djinnlet would break the game.

Maybe mix active + passive ability pets.