Sign in to follow this  
Tigrosaur

Concerns about removed game strategies caused by MODS

It has been a few weeks now since the protean shift expansion launched and while it brought many positive and fun changes to the game, it has also given me a few concerns about MODS drastically impacting the strategy and decision making you had to do in high onslaught floors before the update.

While some of the MODS have been acknowledged to receive a change in a future update, I'd like to list every MOD I believe to have negatively impacted high onslaught floors in this game.

Shocking Revelations:

=> I don't think there is much to say about this MOD, it completely stops enemy movement in every lane.

Tenacity:

Before the update cyborcs have forced people to use diverse strategies, a high quality tenacity mod now completely negates this effect and you see players using auras, traps and nodes in the middle of every lane completely ignoring whether there being cyborcs or not.

=> Tenacity Servo has drastically reduced the amount of strategy / decision making in this game created by cyborcs and completely negates them.

Piercing Servo:

In high onslaught floors there are three possibilities for a controlled burn lane.

• The first one is a controlled burn lane with cyborcs or frost-orcs, thus preventing close range defenses.
  • The second one is a controlled burn lane with geodes, thus preventing projectiles.
  • The last one is a regular controlled burn lane with neither cyborcs, frost-orcs nor geodes.
Before the update you had to use different defenses and strategies depending on the enemies to apply a debuff for the controlled burn. (Slime Pits, Geyser Traps, Oil Geyser, PDTs)

With the piercing servo (no matter how strong it is) you'll always be using PDTs in every controlled burn lane no matter the enemies.

Furthermore the piercing servo is now mandatory for all projectile defenses and completely negates the strategy and decision making created by geodes.

=> Piercing Servo has drastically reduced the amount of strategy / decision making in this game created by geodes and completely negates them.

'Boom'-Servos:

To explain why this servo is problematic we have to go a little further into defense selection and placement.

I'll use an imaginary onslaught lane here as an example: Womp-Zerkers with 100x Goblins, 10x Orcs and 2x Berzerkers

Obviously if you have unlimited DefenseUnits you may build the lane however you want, but how do we build this lane as efficiently as possible?

The answer would be to use one AOE defense in the front and 2-3 SingleTarget defenses in the back.

Most enemies with small HP bars come in high numbers while most enemies with bigger HP bars appear in low numbers.

The same applies here, while one AOE defense takes a small chunk of HP from the 10 orcs and 2 berzerkers, it will completely wipe out all 100 goblins by its own.

Thus by having the AOE defense far in the front it acts as kind of a filter, sorting out all the small enemies early on so the SingleTarget defenses in the back spends 100% of their time attacking only the orcs and berzerkers who are surviving the AOE defense.

• If you were only using AOE defenses, you'd have to waste hundreds of DefenseUnits until the remaining 10 orcs + 2 berzerkers would eventually die.
  • If you were only using SingleTarget defenses, you'd get overrun by the goblins as every SingleTarget defense has some kind of mechanic that makes them struggle with an AOE zerg. (LightningStrikeAuras have a huge burst but a long break in between attacks, Hornets need a break after each enemy to fly to the next target, etc., which results in the SingleTarget defense nuking - most likely over-killing - 20% of the goblins, while the remaining 80% just run past)

Now back to the problem at hand, the 'Boom'-Servos - most notably the 'Gobu'-Boom servo - adds AOE damage to SingleTarget defenses, drastically reducing the usefulness of AOE defenses and eventually making builds possible where you can completely go without AOE defenses.

=> 'Boom'-Servos have a negative impact on the strategy / decision making and may lead to AOE defenses becoming optional.

Its actually funny that everything you seem to dislike, is what I love about mods.

Shocking Revelation
Op not gonna argue about it.
They already said next patch will nerf it.

Tenacity and Piercing Servo
Both act as counter measures to the hardcounters presented by chaos tiers.
Geodes, Cyborcs and Vanguards always reduced the available building options for that chaos tier.
Ground traps won't do their job if they are disabled (I know that through range and placement you could 'outplay' cyborcs), making them pretty much useless while playing c2 and further more limiting which towers you could use.

Now with the mods you can use these towers if you really want to.
But you'll always have the drawback of giving up a mod slot which could be used for other useful damage increases.
Also as long as you don't have a 10/10 C8 Tenacity or Piercing Mod they will reduce the damage of your defences.

Boom-servos

I don't think they will replace aoe towers.
Eventhough the percentage damage on them makes them a very strong scaling mod for onslaught.
Atm they are more like a neat bonus damage you can put on your towers.
These will need to be watched for sure but I think its to early to call them op or bad for strategy.

TL:DR
I think more strategic options aren't bad for strategy.
They may make the game easier, but that can be countermeasured.
Tenacity (once fixed) and Piercing Servo are a great addition by opening up the available strategys per chaos tier.

Cyborcs and geod don't add diversity they take away your choices of towers. I am very happy there are now counters to them so that I can use the towers I want on a map. There are different types of diverse strategies but Taking away whole categories of defenses doesn't create diversity, it limits it.

absolutely disagree, tenacity making ANY towers viable as long as you get a perfect one is great. it's what this game has needed

lots of towers are on the verge of being completely un-usable and mods have breathed new life into them making them almost passable and making the game actually enjoyable again instead of being forced to play 1 way

@Randomroxas quote:

Geodes, Cyborcs and Vanguards always reduced the available building options for that chaos tier.

Ground traps won't do their job if they are disabled (I know that through range and placement you could 'outplay' cyborcs), making them pretty much useless while playing c2 and further more limiting which towers you could use.

@Chappyy quote:

Cyborcs and geod don't add diversity they take away your choices of towers. I am very happy there are now counters to them so that I can use the towers I want on a map. There are different types of diverse strategies but Taking away whole categories of defenses doesn't create diversity, it limits it.

@ram1024 quote:

absolutely disagree, tenacity making ANY towers viable as long as you get a perfect one is great. it's what this game has needed

I've always seen onslaught as a challenge and competitive game-mode in which you cannot apply and build the same defenses on every lane like you did in trials/expeditions but actually had to use your brain to build with limited options against the specific lanes and mutators.

Either requiring different types of defenses or different placements of defenses, for example flame auras/slime pits on the side of a lane if there were cyborcs, a projectile tower shooting in the back of vanguards - which could have been problematic if there was an EMP lane above so you've built an obelisk or measures that your towers were safe.

During my pre-expansion onslaught grind to floor 120+ almost all my builds looked unique and specialized against the enemies/mutators and I've used pretty much every hero to get the maximum efficiency, obviously there were some defenses I've used more than others but almost all of the defenses had their unique situation in which they performed best in.

Your argument that specific defenses cannot be used when there are specific enemies/mutators is what made this game interesting for me, selecting the defenses from the variety of heroes that work under these conditions while the defenses you could not use in that situation were used in other situations in which they had their use in.

With the mods mentioned above this decision making has been taken away from the game and you are now able to use almost every defense in almost every situation.

Your complaint is mostly that being able to use towers in situations that previously rendered them useless negatively impacts strategy/decision making. But that's only really a half truth. It certain CAN reduce the amount of decision making necessary, but that's more a personal choice to use these mods in that way.

A few people have pointed out since the update that, you can simply choose to use your old strategies and enhance them with mods. Your strategy that didn't need mods before is going to be stronger still than the strategies that use mods to work in scenario's that they traditionally would not.

If you think that the use of these mods inhibits your gameplay and decision making, you can simply choose to not use them. Your builds will be stronger for it. 

Also the logic that this reduces the defence diversity seems kind of silly, because the previous situation was the majority of players complaining that having hard-counters that entirely nullified the effective use of certain defences was heavily damaging defence diversity. Controlled burn with cyborks? Well you can use Slime Pits, Geyser Traps, Oil Geyser, PDT's.

The main difference here is before, it was mandatory, there was no away around it. Didn't like cyborks? Too bad. The situation now however, is optional. Don't like tenacity? Don't opt to use it.

Also the Anti Hardcounter Mods have a drawback if they aren't maxed c8 + you're giving up a mod slot.
As LagIncarnate already said: You are still rewarded for building your unique strategys, cause you will have a mod more on your relics.
In the highest heights of onslaught (that no one found yet probably) where a single stat point could make a diffrence, this might be the edge you have over the builds of others.

Giving people a choice is a good thing right?

@LagIncarnate quote:

Your strategy that didn't need mods before is going to be stronger still than the strategies that use mods to work in scenario's that they traditionally would not.

Your assumption is that every defense is equal to each other and by using up one of the MOD slots to be able to use a defense in a situation that previously did not work, would be enough disadvantage to make up for it.

Your statement might be true in a few situations but in practical use giving up this one slot is not gonna change a lot.

A lane has spellbreaker geodes? A ballista with piercer servo will still be the strongest physical AOE defense.

A lane has controlled burn geodes? PDT is and remains the best defense in the game to apply a debuff even with piercer servo.

The game will always have a defense that is best in a specific situation.

By having mods that allows these defenses to be also used in other situations does not increase diversity, what you're doing is making defenses that were previously better in those other situations less-optimal, leading to a meta that overall uses less different types of defenses.

@LagIncarnate quote:

If you think that the use of these mods inhibits your gameplay and decision making, you can simply choose to not use them. Your builds will be stronger for it. 

As mentioned above, I believe having these mods makes me use the strongest DPS defense in all my lanes and overall makes me use less defenses as I'll now be using the same (DPS-wise stronger) defense against enemies/mutators where I couldn't use them before.

Also I'm seeing onslaught as the competitive game-mode in DD2, I'm comparing my builds to other players and will not intentionally handicap/cripple myself by avoiding to use specific MODS.

@LagIncarnate quote:

Controlled burn with cyborks? Well you can use Slime Pits, Geyser Traps, Oil Geyser, PDT's.

Controlled burn with geodes? Well you can use Slime Pits, Geyser Traps, Oil Geyser, PDT's.

Again the piercing servo MOD did not increase diversity here, all it did was that you're now also using PDTs in the geode situation where you had to use slime pits, geyser traps or oil geysers.

So first of all, the game isn't making you do anything. Towers in the game right now are all so strong basically anything is viable even in 100+ onslaught if built correctly and suited to the lane enemies.
YOU are making yourself use these mods because you don't want to "handicap/cripple" yourself, thus reducing your own build diversity.

In this case, you're causing your own non-existent problem. Tower diversity still exists, you can still use whatever tower you want. You're choosing instead of base it off a DPS scale, which doesn't even matter because nothing currently within reason in the game requires it.

Why not ask for balance to create diversity, rather than force it by removing choice? There's only 6 realistic scenario's in DD2, the lane requires either: Physical Aura, Physical Tower, Magical Aura, Magical Tower, Controlled Burn w/ Aura, Controlled Burn w/ Tower.

If you're going to always use the best tower possible so as to not cripple yourself, you're just going to use the same 5-6 towers for everything. Anything beyond that is your choice just like it is now, and 5-6 towers is not much more "diversity" than 2-3 towers.

Your entire point seems to be that you want tower diversity. The game offers you a diverse selection of towers, but you only want to pick the strongest. Thus you want the game to force you to use something else, rather than choosing it of your own volition.

It's not like using a flame aura in a geode lane right now is any weaker than it would be if piercing didn't exist. The only difference is you would be forced to do it rather than choosing to.

@LagIncarnate quote:

Your entire point seems to be that you want tower diversity. The game offers you a diverse selection of towers, but you only want to pick the strongest. Thus you want the game to force you to use something else, rather than choosing it of your own volition.

You're correct, that is exactly what I want and hoped (high floor) onslaught to be.

A game mode where you cannot use the same defense combination in each and every lane, a game mode where rules and conditions apply that force you to build different and/or with different defenses.

Pressuring you with new situations and design choices you'd have to make every new map.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not talking about limiting your options to only one choice.

But I'm neither talking about what onslaught is currently turning towards with these new MODS which basically allows you to ignore most enemies/mutators and do anything without compromises.

@Tigrosaur quote:

Controlled burn with geodes? Well you can use Slime Pits, Geyser Traps, Oil Geyser, PDT's.

I'm talking about situations like these where you suddenly are not allowed to use PDTs (one defense) anymore but you still have other options left to build something that may work.

In my opinion this would be a less dull / repetitive and more fun / interesting onslaught compared to what it is right now in high onslaught floors.

Personally the game is way more fun now than it used to be and I find my self using towers and characters I not used for ages.

I 've not used my Dryad since the update and that is refreshing to play as one of my actual DPS characters in onslaught and having 5-6 different ways to shut down zones.

Basically you want to literally remove all MODS that provide counters so we are back to the same old 2-3 ways of dealing with the onslaught lanes.

Sounds me that what you really want is some Mastery mode modifiers seeping into onslaught... maybe they could do this on higher floors say after 150 every so many maps would be cursed and you will not be able to build towers that map for example.  No instant fail if you place one they will just be greyed out in your build options.

This would force players to use different towers and MODS like you want ... if Trendy just nerf the hell out of the MODS you listed then we will have no diversity and fun builds and your basically only need MODS to boost the DPS of the one or two effective combos to handle onslaught like pre patch .

@Defenso quote:

Basically you want to literally remove all MODS that provide counters so we are back to the same old 2-3 ways of dealing with the onslaught lanes.

I admit the amount of cyborc lanes in this game is sometimes a little high, but you guys are talking as if every lane in this game was a cyborc or geode lane.

It's not like removing the MODS mentioned above would completely prevent you from using some defenses in every lane, most of them are still without cyborcs - and without geodes!

@Defenso quote:

Sounds me that what you really want is some Mastery mode modifiers seeping into onslaught... maybe they could do this on higher floors say after 150 every so many maps would be cursed and you will not be able to build towers that map for example

I've got a better idea, instead of preventing all towers in all lanes from being used we'll add an effect to a few of the lanes that only prevents 'projectile' towers so it's less restricting and players have more choices how to deal with them.

Actually we could make it even more interesting by not applying an effect to all enemies from this lane but make a new special enemy for this, let's call them something like "Geod..." oh wait.

I'm sorry for the subtle sarcasm but this is exactly what Geodes are, it was a less restricting mastery version of "no towers allowed" but instead of preventing all towers it only disallowed the usage of 'projectile'-towers in a few selected geode-lanes.

The same can be said in terms of cyborcs:

• You can still use every tower against cyborcs
  • You can still use every aura against cyborcs (but cyborcs force you to place them in a strategic and clever way)
  • You can't use a few selected traps against cyborcs, namely: Explosive Trap, Geyser Trap, Blaze Balloon and Oil Geyser - everything else not listed can still be used if you place them strategically out of cyborc range.
  • You can't use a few selected nodes against cyborcs, namely: Proton Beam and Weapon Manufacturer.

I think we have gone full circle now.

Shocking revelations definitely needs some tweaking, as for the other mods they should be left alone. The entire point of them is to add diversity, to allow players to use towers that they were otherwise not able to use...what is being suggested here is that we revert back to the old way where only one tower is useful in certain lanes which is an absolute joke. not only does that kill diversity but thanks to our new mods your one tower which can handle each specific scenario is stronger. no one is forcing you to use tenacity or piercing in your towers and the fact is that your towers theoretically become weaker as a trade off for being able to counter geo shields or cyborks because it takes a mod slot away that could extend range or increase tower speed or simply add more power. I honestly think they should leave tenacity and piercing the way they are or make them all 100% to counter and making the drop rate super low.

I love fissures on cy frost lanes , I also use WM against Cyborks with no issues and no Tenacity on anything.

@Lagmonster quote:

Can't use fissures against cyborks, but you can use auras ? Can you explain this ? Cause they work just fine for me.

@Tigrosaur quote:
  • You can still use every aura against cyborcs (but cyborcs force you to place them in a strategic and clever way)

Strategic and clever means maxing range and abusing the range scaling they have?
I can either give up a shard slot to max out my aura range, or i can give up a mod slot to reduce the stun time on them (which still sounds bad af if it isn't 100% reduction).
I don't see much of a difference.

I don't even see a reason to use a tenacity mod at all if it isn't maxed once they fix the bug.

Reading out of your posts:
You want the Game to tell you which defences are allowed for specific lanes, so that you feel like you are using a unique build for every map.
You don't like Anti-Hardcounter mods cause they open up the amount of defences we can use.

(rant start)
I don't see the 'strategic' sense in this.
Where exactly do you feel rewarded by being told what tower you should use?

I love the game for the amount of choice i have to defend and create diffrent builds for the maps.
Used WMs for a few maps, now i got my shatterquake mod and make a build around earthshatters.
The Strategy comes through thinking which Tower has the best synergies with earthshatters, how do I clear out the towers weakness, does the strat work with the amount of DU i have etc.

If the game tells me in onslaught "Hey look its a geode vanguard lane I'll go for auras and traps."
If it tells me Cyborcs "Alright going for them Projectile Towers".
It mixes both? "Get those beam towers started".
And this happens every map.
The strategic diversity isn't there.
You only got a certain amount of combinations for enemy lanes, and you will always beat them the same way.
With the same towers every time. Cause you can't use any other strat cause it ain't the most efficent one.
How are Pdts with damage reduction on them more efficent then building auras?
Yes they are useful for spreading poison on enemys and have by far the best fire rate and range of your choices. But they also suffer from lower damage or cc then the other choices.
(rant over)

TL:DR
Onslaught lanes only feature a set amount of enemy lanes.
You will always beat a certain enemy lane the exact same way.
Theres hardly any strategy involved in using the Tower the game tells you to use.
Once fixed the Anti-Hardcounter Mods aren't as strong as you think, if they aren't a max roll.

OP I strongly disagree. Before the update I couldn’t use my canon ball towers hardly ever due to at least one geode showing up in 99% of lanes. Now I can FINALLY use it and I’m having a lot of fun with the freedom to choose my own strategies instead of being forced into using the same stuff to counter geodes and cyborks. Go play mastery if you don’t like freedom of choice 

I used to agree with the OP on this but now I've played the game with mods I find I'm enjoying the game much more.  Turns out that for me, and I suspect many others, that being FORCED to use certain towers isn't as much fun as freedom to customise and use your favourite towers.    To further reinforce this you only have to look at mastery which is the ultimate in creating challenge by removing choice but is very much disliked by players.

I think others have mentioned the point that mods like tenacity are using up a mod slot for what is essentially a quality-of-life benefit.  They may not be the best use of your mod slots for pushing higher onslaught floors.  

For now I think it's a bit pointless complaining about mods making the game less challenging when the game is really easy at the moment and you could easily push to floor 100+ with just about any set of towers and mods.

I do not agree at all because I'm definitely not going back to just using my dryad for everything again. My advice would be to just forget that those mods exist and stick to private matches.

@Lagmonster quote:

Can't use fissures against cyborks, but you can use auras ? Can you explain this ? Cause they work just fine for me.

Woops, corrected the list of defenses you cannot use against cyborcs. Thanks!

So from all the 38 defenses (including Barricades) in the game, cyborcs prevent you from using 6 defenses. (~16%)

@Randomroxas quote:
@Tigrosaur quote:

Strategic and clever means maxing range and abusing the range scaling they have?
I can either give up a shard slot to max out my aura range, or i can give up a mod slot to reduce the stun time on them ([...])
I don't see much of a difference.

One way makes you think and experiment positions on the map that might work, talk and share your ideas with other players - the other just simply ignores chaos mechanics completely.

Defense placement/positioning is a part of game strategy in tower defense games, cyborcs simply add that layer of strategy on aura-type defenses.

@Randomroxas quote:
@Randomroxas quote:

You want the Game to tell you which defences are allowed for specific lanes, so that you feel like you are using a unique build for every map.

[...]

Where exactly do you feel rewarded by being told what tower you should use?

That is not what I said, let me quote myself here:

@Tigrosaur quote:

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not talking about limiting your options to only one choice.

But I'm neither talking about what onslaught is currently turning towards with these new MODS which basically allows you to ignore most enemies/mutators and do anything without compromises.

@Tigrosaur quote:

Controlled burn with geodes? Well you can use Slime Pits, Geyser Traps, Oil Geyser, PDT's.

I'm talking about situations like these where you suddenly are not allowed to use PDTs (one defense) anymore but you still have other options left to build something that may work.

I'm not talking about limiting your choices to only one that is left, I'm talking about taking away one of the choices you have in 1-2 lanes of a map to enforce you to build a different defense for that specific lane.

@Randomroxas quote:

You only got a certain amount of combinations for enemy lanes, and you will always beat them the same way. With the same towers every time. Cause you can't use any other strat cause it ain't the most efficent one.

@1aydan quote:

I do not agree at all because I'm definitely not going back to just using my dryad for everything again.

We're talking about two different situations here, I'm talking about onslaught forcing players to not use one or two of all the defenses in this game in one or two lanes. Which is essentially what cyborcs or geodes are doing. (Please refer to the small list of defenses I made on the previous page of which defenses are actually affected!)

Your choice of only using dryad had nothing to do with cyborcs and geodes. It was either your own lazyness that you only wanted to use defenses that work under every condition instead of examining the enemies that appear from each lane and not using projectile-tower in the one lane that actually had geodes in it. Or it was your own fault for only using the one defense in this game which had the highest DPS per DefenseUnit, which also has nothing to do with geodes and cyborcs.

@Randomroxas quote:

If the game tells me in onslaught "Hey look its a geode vanguard lane I'll go for auras and traps."
If it tells me Cyborcs "Alright going for them Projectile Towers".
It mixes both? "Get those beam towers started".

The only situation in this game where you could have both cyborcs and geodes is two lanes merging into one.

In this specific, rare case you'll want to think about a build that either kills off one lane before the merge, or if they start together a build that kills the lanes after they are separating again. (Once again, strategy and decision making!)

@DoctorJuice quote:

Before the update I couldn’t use my canon ball towers hardly ever due to at least one geode showing up in 99% of lanes.

I'm very sorry that on the one onslaught map you have played there was a geode in every lane. Though luck!

I don't have the %chance of geodes or cyborcs appearing in onslaught, but from all the 10 ground lanes Marcos had on his floor 500 onslaught (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naSFUfGfKjg) there was exactly one geode lane.

@Tigrisaur I’m at floor 73 in onslaught actually, I’ve played many maps. Like I said, go play mastery if you want strategy, puzzles, and restrictions. There’s no need to make Onslaught like mastery because mastery already exists.

@DoctorJuice quote:

@Tigrisaur I’m at floor 73 in onslaught actually, I’ve played many maps. Like I said, go play mastery if you want strategy, puzzles, and restrictions. There’s no need to make Onslaught like mastery because mastery already exists.

@DoctorJace

So what you're saying is we should just remove mutators and chaos enemies from onslaught, essentially turning onslaught into 'Gobu & Orc'-slaught with scaling HP depending on the floor numbers, only differing in the bosses that appear while allowing every player to build each lane with however defenses they want/like.

Because this is exactly what you guys are talking about here, it fullfills every criteria of every reply to this thread.

@Tigrosaur quote:

So what you're saying is we should just remove mutators and chaos enemies from onslaught, essentially turning onslaught into 'Gobu & Orc'-slaught with scaling HP depending on the floor numbers, only differing in the bosses that appear while allowing every player to build each lane with however defenses they want/like.

Because this is exactly what you guys are talking about here, it fullfills every criteria of every reply to this thread.

Actually what everybody said was that you should just play without the mods you don't like.  What's wrong with that approach?

While I am finding myself to be using a much smaller selection of defenses for Onslaught, I don't agree with this post. Let's start from the top.

Shocking Revelation - Too strong, needs nerf, Trendy knows it and will be nerfing it (hopefully not into the ground as they have done before)

Tenacity - Tenacity seems completely fine to me, other than the fact that they're broken right now and are decreasing the duration of negative effects by much larger margin than intended. Sure, if you find a high quality Tenacity servo (maybe even max), you can essentially ignore Cyborks. But a max Tenacity servo is extremely rare, and I wouldn't even consider using a 9/10 C7 Tenacity Servo if I had one. I like the idea that you can gear and mod a defense so you can use it however you want to (under its limitations), wherever you want to.

Piercer Servo - Before the update, it was possible to have a Berserker lane with geodes. Slimes no longer applied oil to Berserkers, so you have to either hope that your trap would not miss the geode or manually defend the lane with a hero like Barbarian or Abyss Lord, or risk losing the map if your trap does miss. Even if your trap didn't miss, the Berserkers most likely would've hit your walls pretty hard with some protection from the geode, or maybe they would've even ran around your blockades with their annoying pathing. Now? That's not an issue because Piercer Servo. 

Piercer Servo is extremely good for Poison Dart Tower since the poison isn't affected by the damage reduction, but I'm not sure that that matters since Explosive Poison works. Even before the Protean Shift, I ignored geodes for the most part when placing PDTs. As for other projectile defenses, they seem to take the damage reduction. Before the Protean Shift, Geodes and (especially) Vanguards heavily limited the projectile towers you could use. You couldn't even use something like a cannonball + ballista build in chaos 7 because it would fail instantly due to Vanguards and Geodes. Now with Piercer Servo, you have a lot more freedom in what you can use, and I think that's a great thing.

Boom Servos - Simply inserting a boom servo on a single target defense doesn't allow it to do enough to replace an AOE defense in my opinion. Even when using a boom servo, I wouldn't change the way I build in that I almost always pair single target defenses with AOE defenses. Like @Randomroxas , I view boom servos as bonus damage, and don't see it as bad for strategy.

Shocking Revelation and Tenacity need to be nerfed/fixed, but I believe that having the freedom to use whichever defense you choose is a good thing for the game, and I think that this is a great change made by Trendy.